Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2009-2010  (Read 115267 times)

EvelynMC

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic: Emma
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2010, 06:12:52 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2010 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

Small Island
April 18-25, 2010, 9pm

Two 90-minute episodes
When an ambitious Jamaican woman moves to gritty post-war London, she finds that the "Mother Country" is not the land of opportunity she had imagined. Starring Naomie Harris, Ruth Wilson and Benedict Cumberbatch and based on the award-winning, bestselling novel by Andrea Levy. Small Island is available for online viewing April 19 - May 25 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/smallisland/watch.html

PAST PROGRAMS

The Diary of Anne Frank
April 11, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The most accurate adaptation of Anne Frank's account of hiding from the Nazis stars newcomer Ellie Kendrick as the maturing teenager undergoing an extraordinary ordeal. The Diary of Anne Frank airs on Holocaust Remembrance Day, 2010. Watch the program online from April 12 through May 11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/annefrank/watch.html

Sharpe's Peril
April 4, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The adventures of Colonel Richard Sharpe continue as he leads a ragtag party of civilians and soldiers on a march across India, with the murderous army of an opium lord in hot pursuit.  Watch it online through April 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sharpeschallenge/watch.html

Sharpe's Challenge
March 28, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Soldier-adventurer Richard Sharpe comes out of retirement to quash a rebellion in British India. Sean Bean returns as the swashbuckling hero of this series based on Bernard Cornwell's novels. Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi guest stars. Watch it online through April 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sharpeschallenge/watch.html

The 39 Steps
February 29, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Secret agent Richard Hannay battles German spies on the eve of World War I in a riveting and romantic new version of the thriller by John Buchan. Rupert-Penry Jones (Persuasion) stars as Hannay.  Learn more about this series at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/39steps/39steps.html.  Watch the full episodes online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/steps/watch.html through March 30. Email JoanP for a copy of the book for only the cost of postage. Read some of Buchan's works online at http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a285

Persuasion (Encore Presentation)
February 21, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sally Hawkins plays Jane Austen's Anne Elliot, a woman destined for spinsterhood after refusing a proposal eight years earlier. Then her spurned suitor reappears. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/persuasion/index.html. The text of Jane Austen's Persuasion is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/105

Northanger Abbey (Encore Presentation)
February 14, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a medieval house that appeals to her most lurid fantasies, romance addict Catherine Morland (Felicity Jones) begins a relationship with the younger son of the estate in this adaptation of the Jane Austen novel.  Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/northangerabbey/index.html. The text of Northanger Abbey is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/121/121-h/121-h.htm#2HCH0001

January 24-February 7, 2010, 9pm

Three episodes.
A new adaptation of Jane Austen's comic tale of a headstrong young woman's failed matchmaking schemes. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/index.html.
See resources provided by PBS at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/emma/emma_links.html

January 10-17, 2010, 9pm
Return to Cranford

Two 90-minute episodes.
The construction of a new railroad line is at once thrilling and threatening to the residents of Cranford. This sequel stars Judi Dench, Imelda Staunton and Julia McKenzie. New faces include Jonathan Pryce and Tim Curry. From the creators: “We leapt at the opportunity to include two strands from Cranford that we hadn’t been able to include the first time around, introducing two colourful new characters: Lady Glenmire (Celia Imrie) and the conjuror Signor Brunoni (Tim Curry). We looked for additional source material to weave into the mix, and finally settled on two very different Gaskell stories that excited us: The Moorland Cottage and The Cage At Cranford." Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford2/index.html.

December 20, 2009-January 3, 2010, 9pm
Cranford (Encore Presentation)

Three episodes (Episode one 120 minutes; episode two 60 minutes; episode three 120 minutes).
The Emmy-nominated drama about a small English village in 1842 on the brink of change — where some find romance and opportunity, and others fear the breakdown of social order. The series is based on three Elizabeth Gaskell novels: Cranford, My Lady Ludlow and Mr. Harrison's Confessions. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford/index.html.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I was only able to watch the last half hour last night and was absolutely enchanted with the ending.  All those folks waltzing around...I loved it.  It is on-line and I will watch it in the next few days. I really hate to see this series end.

Evelyn

nlhome

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic: Cranford
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
I watched it last night. I hadn't expected to be able to see it, so I was expecting to watch it on line. Much more pleasant to sit there with my cup of tea and enjoy the whole program at once.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
I really hated for the series to end also.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2010, 11:06:49 PM »
Very enjoyable, most delightful.  But I had certain things planned and they didn't come to pass. For one thing, I thought that perhaps Miss Gallindo and the Reverend might marry.  The other thing I thought might happen would be that Mary Smith would marry Jem, but of course, that didn't come to pass either.  But Matty's house will be full again, and Mrs. Forrester has a new friend, so all is well.

Am I the only one who thought Peggy and Mary Smith looked a lot alike?

Now, does anyone know anything about the Jericho who's coming on this coming Sat or Sun?

Babi

« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2010, 08:22:20 AM »
 Oh, yes, ALIKI. It was only the first 1/2 hour that I missed. You notice
it was a charming man who persuaded the 'snooty' lady to change her mind.
Was her name Mrs. Jamieson?  And Miss Pole was adorable assisting the
magician.

No, no, PEDLN. Jem and Mary Smith could never marry. Totally out of
class. Jem was a carpenter and had been married to the maid. A much
loved maid and an excellent carpenter, but still....

I didn't see anything about "Jericho".  My station was talking about
a new production of "EMMA".  I don't know; I loved 'Emma' but I've seen
so many productions of the book. Austen is such a favorite that new
films of her books seem to be turning up all the time. I just don't know
if I want to see another 'Emma'.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Aliki

« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2010, 12:42:11 PM »
pedlyn: Am I the only one who thought Peggy and Mary Smith looked a lot alike?

oh pedlyn...I thought it was my eyes and the distance and tinyness of my tv screen. Many times I had to look two or three times to be sure I had the right character.

Babi: Jem and Mary Smith could never marry. Totally out of class.

Babi, that was the second thing that popped into my mind when that question was posted. My first actual thought was a wish that they would make yet another 'sequel' to tie up all the loose ends--like the secret sweet look between Miss Matty and the Reverend (I believe it was the reverend) at the very last.

But I agree...I can't picture Mary and Jem overriding class prejudice like that although, Miss Matty adores the baby and hmmmm, Miss Mary was a bit of a rebel and I think responsible for encouraging Miss Matty's rebellious moments as well. Oh dear....if only!!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2010, 08:08:37 PM »
Aliki, I think you're thinking about Mr. Buxton (William's father), not the Reverend.  The Reverend was seen a lot with Miss Gallindo.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2010, 10:23:21 PM »
I very much enjoyed this series. It differed from the book in many ways (quite a lot more was added) but I think that the characters and actions that were added were mostly in keeping with the tone of the book and provided more of a "story" to present on screen. The book was enjoyable but I think didn't flesh out the characters as much as the TV presentation.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2010, 11:02:17 PM »
I'm looking forward to the first part of Emma next week. I too have seen several versions of all of Jane Austen's works and I've thought that most were very good. The only film that stands out as stilted to me was the 1940 "Pride and Prejudice" with Laurence Olivier and Greer Garson. I only saw it once on TV but remember that I thought it was pretty bad.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic: Cranford and Emma
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2010, 11:58:34 AM »
Marcie, I keep wondering whether Gaskell's other novels on Cranford - The Moorland Cottage - and the The Cage at Cranford contained some of the stories that we didn't see in the book "Cranford"  that we just finished.  Our local library doesn't carry either of these titles, though we do have several other books by this author - including "Cranford:Cousin Phillis"  (that is the exact spelling given for Phillis.)

I have to say that I was quite confused at some of the differences between the book and "Return to Cranford."  Yesterday I watched the whole episode over again to see if I missed something about the bank crash - and Miss Matty's reduced circumstances which forced her to open a tea shop in her living room.  Does anyone remember whether this was discussed in the very first episode of Cranford?  I was amazed when I read it - it was such an important part of the story -  Miss Matty's ability to adapt, Martha's offer to stay on, even though Miss Matty had no means to pay her - to feed her.

And then there was the whole explanation of the return of Miss Matty's  brother, Peter...from India.  It turns out he was the same Aga Jenkins who helped Signor Brunoni's WIFE return from India - saved her only surviving child.  Which reminds me - were Signor Brunoni 's- and his twin brother, Thomas - even in the PBS production?  

The narrator is described at the end of the book as Mary Smith (never mentioned as Miss Matty's niece) = who writes to Peter in India to see if he is Miss Matty's brother - telling him of his poor sister's situation.  He comes home upon receiving this letter - and saves the day.

I am so glad that I read the book.  I thought it added much to the whole experience.  (Still have two copies to send if anyone would like them...)

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2010, 12:05:37 PM »
I have to say that I was quite confused at some of the differences between the book and "Return to Cranford."  Yesterday I watched the whole episode over again to see if I missed something about the bank crash - and Miss Matty's reduced circumstances which forced her to open a tea shop in her living room.  Does anyone remember whether this was discussed in the very first episode of Cranford?  
If I remember correctly it was discussed at length in the first episode.

Joan Grimes

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »
Thanks, JoanG -   I needed to hear that.  My memory is terrible - the first episode was so long ago!  It was so  important - after reading the book I felt I knew Miss Matty better - a lady who lacked confidence in her abilities - especially compared to her sister.  Yet she had courage when it came to following her heart.  I'm not sure I felt that from the production - as much as I did after reading the book...

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »
The copy of Cranford that I had borrowed from the library had the additional story about The Cage. I don't think it added information to augment the TV version. It was pretty different from the TV version, although the mixup about what "the cage" really is, is the same in both versions.

Joan, it's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one with memory problems.  :-(

Aliki

« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »
Marcie: "Joan, it's comforting to hear that I'm not the only one with memory problems.  :-( "

Ditto!!   ::)

aliki

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
Well, PBS has done it again - they are offering 10 copies of Austen's Emma - to the first to request a copy.
Are you interested in owning a copy?  Can't beat an offer like this.  Postage will be about $2.00.  Just post here  if you'd like one...

Off to sunny(?) Florida in the morning - but will be back way too soon to send out these books.

Aberlaine

« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2010, 08:55:31 AM »
I really hated for the series to end also.

Joan Grimes

I did, too, Joan.  I sat there at the end and just hoped that there will be another "Visit to Cranford" in a few years.  I couldn't bear to lose the friends I had made there.

At the end, at the dance, it looked like the author (or producer of the movie) was hinting at some possible pairings.  I was pleased to see so many men at the same time!

Nancy

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2010, 09:32:01 AM »

I did, too, Joan.  I sat there at the end and just hoped that there will be another "Visit to Cranford" in a few years.  I couldn't bear to lose the friends I had made there.

At the end, at the dance, it looked like the author (or producer of the movie) was hinting at some possible pairings.  I was pleased to see so many men at the same time!

Nancy

That is the way I felt too.  I am going to keep hoping that the Cranford series will emerge again.

Joan Grimes

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2010, 11:47:40 PM »
Since many of the scenes were created by the writers of this production (not in the original stories), I think it would be possible for the series to continue. That would be fun!

Aberlaine, I too noticed the pairings in the dance at the end and was wondering if there was some hinting there.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2010, 01:39:16 AM »
The folks at PBS provided JoanP with some links with background for the production of EMMA. You can see them at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/emma/emma_links.html

Babi

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2010, 09:12:31 AM »
 That link decided me, MARCIE. ".. this fiercely funny new
adaptation. The London Times enthused, “What's not to love?"

It does look like this production will have something new and fresh. And
the hero is Miller of 'Eli Stone'?  What an imaginative choice!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2010, 07:14:02 PM »
I noticed that "fiercely funny"  tag, Babi.  Funny, I never thought of Emma as a funny story.  We're at the beach in Florida for a few days - tonight is football. (One TV in our room) -  Hoping the Minn/NewOrleans game is over by Masterpiece time.  Funny watching the game in the same New Orleans stadium of Katrina memory.

By the way, I should be getting 10 copies of Emma from PBS - for YOU by the time I get home in a few days.  Will gladly send a copy on to anyone who wants one...

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #141 on: January 24, 2010, 10:02:58 PM »
I will be watching Emma tonight.

I cannot resist a Jane Austen.

Joan Grimes

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: January 24, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »
The slideshow of characters narrated by Romola Garai, gives good hints about how the characters will be developed in this version.  See http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/garai.html

I too will be watching the first episode tonight.

Babi

« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2010, 09:52:55 AM »
 I am so annoyed!  For some reason, my television would not produce
the closed captioning for Emma last night.  I know the program is CC;
I don't know why it wouldn't work.  Valerie found a later showing listed
and marked it for recording.  If it was a problem with the station, maybe the later showing will have the closed captioning for me.
Keep your fingers crossed. ( Well, not really, but you know what I mean.)

Frybabe

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2010, 10:13:46 AM »
I started to watch Emma last night after I got home from work but got too impatient with it. Emma is not a character I could relate to right away.  Since I want to see how Jonnie Lee Miller does, I will probably try to watch the show online. I know I must not have been in the mood to watch because I couldn't watch The Fifth Element the whole way through either - and that is one of my favorites.

Aliki

« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »
Frybabe, I was also unable to stick with 'Emma' last night. I remember when I saw the production starring  Gwynneth Paltrow and I thought it was really light weight and silly and unworthy of Jane Austin, whose novels and productions I have always enjoyed.

It was an especially difficult transition for me because being a woman 'of a certain age' as Dame Judi might say, I could identify much more easily with all the characters
in Cranford. I do like the actor who plays hmmm is it Emma's father? grandfather? uncle?...I've always enjoyed him.

I don't know if I'll have the patience to watch next week. I stopped right after Emma talked her protege to refuse Mr. Miller. and that also did not sit well with me.

We shall see. Frybabe...I'm so glad I'm not the only one.   :D

Frybabe

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2010, 03:18:20 PM »
I think as some point I am going to get the whole lot of Jane Austen and read them. The only one I actually ever read was Pride and Prejudice. What I would like is a boxed set, or a volume with the complete works of Jane Austen.

salan

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2010, 05:04:56 PM »
I, too, could not get interested in Emma.  After watching 1/2 hr, I dvd'd the rest to watch later.  I thought it was just me but after reading what others had to say; I am now wondering....Cranford was so good that maybe anything following that was bound to be a disappointment.  I don't know if I will continue watching Emma.
Sally

JoanR

« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2010, 08:48:52 PM »
I must say that I really enjoyed Emma.  I had to make a few mental adjustments first - initially, I thought Mr. Knightly looked too young - but no, he does look 40ish and back in Austen's time, that was a pretty advanced age!  I also thought that Emma was too girlish - but, no that is what the character was supposed to be.  We've seen too many other versions of Emma where the actress did not look like "a foolish young thing" and by those we have been influenced.  I like also the way the film sticks to the text.  It's nice to have a long produc tion wherein the plot can be wholly presented.  I"m looking forward to the rest of the film and don't expect to be disappointed!!!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2010, 09:29:31 PM »
I watched Emma also and did enjoy the production. I'm waiting to see how they develop the Emma character in this one. The nuances of her character are a bit different (not a lot different) than in other productions I've seen. The actress looks a lot like Drew Barrymore to me and that was somewhat distracting.

EvelynMC

« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »
I couldn't stick with Emma either.  I watched about 15 minutes and then just tuned out.

Evelyn

Babi

« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2010, 08:34:05 AM »
 Very mixed reactions to Emma, I see.  I am going to see if Netflix has this new production.  No point in continuing with parts 2 and 3 if I haven't
seen part 1.  Valerie recorded it at two different times, and neither one
had the closed captioning that was supposed to be there. If Netfix does
have it, I'll play 'catch-up' here.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
Babi, the TV programs follows the book version pretty closely as most of the other versions of Emma do. If you've seen another version or read the book, you can probably catch up watching Episodes 2 and 3.

Aliki

« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »
Babi, while browsing through Netflix this morning I did see this current version of Emma as well as the one with Gwyneth Paltrow.

According to the differences of opinion in our group and also in the two reviews for the two versions in Netflix, I think I'll finish this viewing out, and hope I last.

Babi

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2010, 01:09:12 PM »
  Netflix will have it, but it does not 'come out' until February 9, I believe.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2010, 02:57:32 PM »
And I enjoyed "Emma" thoroughly!! The Emma character is NOT  that likable, as Austen told us.

Aliki

« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
I just received my new BBC America Shop catalog and lo and behold, on the cover, is our dear Dame Judi as Matty.

It's a lovely shot!

Aliki

« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »
I think as some point I am going to get the whole lot of Jane Austen and read them. The only one I actually ever read was Pride and Prejudice. What I would like is a boxed set, or a volume with the complete works of Jane Austen.

Reading my new catalog (as mentioned above) and although I haven't seen a set of Jane Austin books Frybabe, if you might want a set of the DVD's that go with all of Austin's productions in a boxed set and the sale price is $50.98.

Just F.Y.I....

aliki

Frybabe

« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2010, 10:04:14 AM »
Thanks Aliki.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »
It looks like there are several editions of Austen's "complete novels." Some of the editions contain more of her works than the others. For example:
http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/The-Complete-Novels/1694011/product.html
and
http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Austen-Complete-Novels/dp/0517118297