Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2009-2010  (Read 115233 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic: Cranford and Emma
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2010, 03:23:22 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2010 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

Small Island
April 18-25, 2010, 9pm

Two 90-minute episodes
When an ambitious Jamaican woman moves to gritty post-war London, she finds that the "Mother Country" is not the land of opportunity she had imagined. Starring Naomie Harris, Ruth Wilson and Benedict Cumberbatch and based on the award-winning, bestselling novel by Andrea Levy. Small Island is available for online viewing April 19 - May 25 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/smallisland/watch.html

PAST PROGRAMS

The Diary of Anne Frank
April 11, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The most accurate adaptation of Anne Frank's account of hiding from the Nazis stars newcomer Ellie Kendrick as the maturing teenager undergoing an extraordinary ordeal. The Diary of Anne Frank airs on Holocaust Remembrance Day, 2010. Watch the program online from April 12 through May 11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/annefrank/watch.html

Sharpe's Peril
April 4, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The adventures of Colonel Richard Sharpe continue as he leads a ragtag party of civilians and soldiers on a march across India, with the murderous army of an opium lord in hot pursuit.  Watch it online through April 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sharpeschallenge/watch.html

Sharpe's Challenge
March 28, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Soldier-adventurer Richard Sharpe comes out of retirement to quash a rebellion in British India. Sean Bean returns as the swashbuckling hero of this series based on Bernard Cornwell's novels. Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi guest stars. Watch it online through April 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sharpeschallenge/watch.html

The 39 Steps
February 29, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Secret agent Richard Hannay battles German spies on the eve of World War I in a riveting and romantic new version of the thriller by John Buchan. Rupert-Penry Jones (Persuasion) stars as Hannay.  Learn more about this series at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/39steps/39steps.html.  Watch the full episodes online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/steps/watch.html through March 30. Email JoanP for a copy of the book for only the cost of postage. Read some of Buchan's works online at http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a285

Persuasion (Encore Presentation)
February 21, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sally Hawkins plays Jane Austen's Anne Elliot, a woman destined for spinsterhood after refusing a proposal eight years earlier. Then her spurned suitor reappears. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/persuasion/index.html. The text of Jane Austen's Persuasion is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/105

Northanger Abbey (Encore Presentation)
February 14, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a medieval house that appeals to her most lurid fantasies, romance addict Catherine Morland (Felicity Jones) begins a relationship with the younger son of the estate in this adaptation of the Jane Austen novel.  Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/northangerabbey/index.html. The text of Northanger Abbey is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/121/121-h/121-h.htm#2HCH0001

January 24-February 7, 2010, 9pm

Three episodes.
A new adaptation of Jane Austen's comic tale of a headstrong young woman's failed matchmaking schemes. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/index.html.
See resources provided by PBS at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/emma/emma_links.html

January 10-17, 2010, 9pm
Return to Cranford

Two 90-minute episodes.
The construction of a new railroad line is at once thrilling and threatening to the residents of Cranford. This sequel stars Judi Dench, Imelda Staunton and Julia McKenzie. New faces include Jonathan Pryce and Tim Curry. From the creators: “We leapt at the opportunity to include two strands from Cranford that we hadn’t been able to include the first time around, introducing two colourful new characters: Lady Glenmire (Celia Imrie) and the conjuror Signor Brunoni (Tim Curry). We looked for additional source material to weave into the mix, and finally settled on two very different Gaskell stories that excited us: The Moorland Cottage and The Cage At Cranford." Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford2/index.html.

December 20, 2009-January 3, 2010, 9pm
Cranford (Encore Presentation)

Three episodes (Episode one 120 minutes; episode two 60 minutes; episode three 120 minutes).
The Emmy-nominated drama about a small English village in 1842 on the brink of change — where some find romance and opportunity, and others fear the breakdown of social order. The series is based on three Elizabeth Gaskell novels: Cranford, My Lady Ludlow and Mr. Harrison's Confessions. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford/index.html.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

As a died-in-the-wool Austen fan, I like the idea of owning all her works. Some of those omnibusses can be heavy and hard to hold.

Babi

« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2010, 09:56:28 AM »
 I would definitely prefer individual copies.  I have some of them, but
not all.  I have a very few 'omnibus' books and they don't get much
handling.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Aliki

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic: Cranford
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51:23 AM »
Aliki, I think you're thinking about Mr. Buxton (William's father), not the Reverend.  The Reverend was seen a lot with Miss Gallindo.

pedln...just reread this after watching the production again and right you are! It was William's father.

Gee, I hope someone will create another sequel...even if they wait until Jem's darling daughter begins to walk or Harry graduates. I wonder how long they should wait before our favorite actors are no longer able or available. I really miss 'my neighbors' from Cranford!!

I'm ready to be fair and watch Emma again tonight. Even if I'm not wild about the heroine I do NOT want to miss the discussion with all of you!  

Aliki

« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2010, 10:56:37 AM »
As a died-in-the-wool Austen fan, I like the idea of owning all her works. Some of those omnibusses can be heavy and hard to hold.

Wouldn't it be lovely if they were in true pocket volumes one could carry in their pocket and read at the park in late Spring--kind of like the book of love poems that Helen Hanff [sp] requested from her dear English book dealer in '84 Charring Cross Road' (I can't believe I can't remember Anthony's last name...oh well...synapses not kicked in yet I guess!)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2010, 12:52:31 PM »
Don't forget to watch the next episode of EMMA tonight.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #165 on: February 01, 2010, 12:17:35 AM »
I watched Emma and I absolutely loved it.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Aliki

« Reply #166 on: February 01, 2010, 12:25:36 AM »
I watched Emma and I absolutely loved it.

Joan Grimes

Joan Grimes, et al...I agree! And I take back what I said about it seeming a light-weight, unworthy of Jane Austin. I think part of my reassessment was due to Laura Lynn's (?) explanations before the presentation...almost a defense of both Emma and Jane Austin's creation of the character.

This week I could see that Emma was going through similar trials and confusions and 'what to do's/what not to do's' as any young girl might. My opinion of this series has turned completely upside down!

In fact, if there is another postage only book left, I'd love to have one to study Jane Austin's building of this character and many of the others more carefully.

I was wrong.

aliki

Babi

« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2010, 09:06:12 AM »
I would love to know more about Harry. Such a promising young fellow;
I hate to go off and leave him like this. Surely someone will pick up
that thread and continue.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #168 on: February 01, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
I only watched about 15 minutes of Emma last night. Still not interested. I noticed that Romola Garai makes use of strong facial expressions. Maybe a little overly so as I kept staring at her face rather than the whole of the picture.

bellamarie

« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »
I have begun the discussion "America's Prophet", but stopped in here and have found myself intrigued with this book Cranford.  I'm not at all familar with it and Joan I know its late, but if you happen to have that last copy sitting on your dining room table, I would love to give it a home. 

I am so new at Jane Austen, but recently was at our Borders store in our mall and found a book with four of her works in it.  So, I opened it up and my introduction to Austen was Sense and Sensibility.  It was difficult for me to get into the setting and the way they use so many words just to get a simple point across.  But, ALAS, I managed to stick with it and actually look forward to one of her next books.  So now I see you are discussing Emma.  Would any of you recommend reading the book before seeing the movie?  I know how movies can leave out so much due to time restrictions etc.  I never imagined I could ever read more than one book at the same time, but I must say SeniorLearn has taught me not to be so rigid.  I think I am in the process of reading 3 books as of Dec. 

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »
Yes, I do have happen to have a Cranford on my dining room table, Bella - email your name and address and I'll send one right off to you - jonkie@verizon.net

The Emma's have not yet arrived - Alliemae, I'll add your name to the list and send a copy to you when they do.  Bella, would you like one of those too?  Anyone else?  We weren't home last pm - will try to catch up on the last episode this afernoon on line.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2010, 09:40:43 PM »
Bellamarie, I don't think you need to read the novel before you watch the production of Emma.

Since all three of the episodes will be available (through March 9) after next week's final episode, I might watch them all again. Something about this portrayal of Emma (not just the actress but the various emphases in the script) is making me not as understanding of/sympathetic to her as I've been in other film versions. I still am enjoying the series.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2010, 11:04:07 PM »
I really liked last week's presentation. They are taking their time and getting every last nuance out of the book. Great. Frank Churchill is good. We'll see how knightley comes off: that's a hard part to play. And I'm waiting to see how they handle Box Hill.

Babi

« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2010, 09:20:19 AM »

"..the way they use so many words just to get a simple point across."
   Bella, I think that without the mass entertainment available to us,
conversation was very much an art. No one was hurried, good grammar was expected, and a good conversationalist was always a welcome guest. Relax and enjoy!

MARCIE, I'm glad to learn they will be repeating EMMA in the coming
months. I can hope the closed captioning will be working with future
episodes. Apparently it was a problem with the station, since the CC
was working with other programs.

mrssherlock

« Reply #174 on: February 07, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
This Emma seems like a real person and not the caricature Austen intended.  She is feisty, "clueless" and younger seeming than other Austen heroines.   I like the other players, too.  The last Emma's father was such a wuss I wanted to shake him 'til his teeth rattled.  Michael Gambon plays him as manly though he is hypochondrical.  My mental Emma has always been more three-dimensional than the versions I have watched on the tube.  Since Emma is my favorite I must have higher standards than for other Austen heroines.  Romala Gerai is saucy while being priggish.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Aliki

« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
Returning to Return to Cranford: I've just come across it on my local PBS station and it looks like it only came on 1:30 pm ES and will last until 4pm. Just in case you stop by for Emma, just wanted to let you know that some of us will be able to visit with our 'old friends and neighbors' this afternoon.

Aliki

« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
I only watched about 15 minutes of Emma last night. Still not interested. I noticed that Romola Garai makes use of 'strong facial expressions.' Maybe a little overly so as I kept staring at her face rather than the whole of the picture.

Marcia: The actress looks a lot like Drew Barrymore to me and that was somewhat distracting.

Frybabe and Marcie:  I saw just a little of a movie yesterday afternoon starring Drew Barrymore with Hugh Grant and she was also being very animated with strong facial expressions AND bodily movements, especially arms and turns and strides and I remember both of your posts. So true...

Frybabe

« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
Aliki, I remember seeing an Austen with Hugh Grant in it, but I can't remember which one. I didn't care for the way he portrayed the character. Maybe it was just because he hunched over to reduce his height and to accentuate the fawning behavior of the character (a pastor?).  I did see a previous Emma, but I don't remember much about it, so I must have been distracted or fell asleep on it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
I think Hugh Grant played in "Sense and Sensability", the minister whom Elinor (Emma Thompson) married. I never remember if he's Edgar, Edmund or ...?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
Whenever I use "whom" now, I feel like I'm being affected. you never see it anymore.

Babi

« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2010, 08:48:47 AM »
 Very few people are quite comfortable with using 'whom'.  We're not
entirely certain we've got it right. Much easier to avoid it, if possible, but
I will use it on occasion.  Usually, when it falls into a phrasing I've seen
written often enough in good literature.  'To Whom is May Concern:"
is the only sure bet.   :D

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »
I remember Hugh Grant in Emma Thompson's version of "Sense and Sensibility." LOL, his character did "skulk about" a bit, with hunched shoulders as if to make himself invisible. I did enjoy that version.

Aliki

« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2010, 01:03:14 PM »
Frybabe and Marcie:  I saw just a little of a movie yesterday afternoon starring Drew Barrymore with Hugh Grant and she was also being very animated with strong facial expressions AND bodily movements, especially arms and turns and strides and I remember both of your posts. So true...

Actually, this wasn't at all about Hugh Grant but about the facial gestures and exaggerated movements of Drew Barrymore which I and others noticed in "Emma" (I continue to forget the actress's name).

By the way, last night there was a movie on with the same Romola and her character was so different and without the exaggerated facial movements or body movements at all. The movie was very different and a little upsetting so I just turned it off.

Anyway, now I MUST read Emma to see if Jane Austen has written in those characteristics for Emma.

Last of all, I'm so glad everything worked out well at the end and also that Emma's father didn't die. He was my favorite character besides young Harry--and I would predict a great theater career for this young man.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2010, 02:52:31 PM »
Yes, the father was done very well, much more sympathetic than in the book. Knightley is hard to do well --- he scolds her for the whole book, than turns humble suitor. It's hard to make him likable. What did you think of his performance?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
Aliki, I've seen "Music and Lyrics" with Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant. I thought it was fun.

I too thought that the father was well done without making him appear as "doddering" as he does in the other versions I've seen.

It is difficult to portray Knightly. I think that the actor was a bit self-conscious in some of the exchange with Emma. It may be because I think this script mixed some of Austen's original dialog with some added dialog that didn't quite mesh.  I thought that Jeremy Northam and Mark Strong were both very good in the role in previous versions of Emma.

Babi

« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2010, 08:18:48 AM »

It may be because I think this script mixed some of Austen's original dialog with some added dialog that didn't quite mesh
  Good observation, MARCIE.  I find it hard to believe that these screen-writers seem to think they can improve on Austen. Trying to modernize
it, of course, but the grasp on the period is part of Austen's charm.

Aliki

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »
I remember Hugh Grant in Emma Thompson's version of "Sense and Sensibility." LOL, his character did "skulk about" a bit, with hunched shoulders as if to make himself invisible. I did enjoy that version.

Marcie...I did notice the 'skulking about'--somehow, Hugh Grant always looks either guilty or preoccupied in most roles I've seen him in. I also thought that Emma Thompson looked older than him. But, like you, I enjoyed that version. Actually I've enjoyed almost all the versions of Jane Austins books in plays.

Aliki

« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »
I've just noticed something...again...if I enjoy Jane AustEn so much, why do I always mispell her name into AustIn!  Oh dear...

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »
I do the same thing, and I've been an AustEn fan since childhood.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »
Yes, It isn't obvious that Austen is spelled with an E.

I too thought that Emma Thompson looked older than Hugh Grant in her version of Sense & Sensibility but I thought they were both very good

The "skulking" metaphor comes from "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (which I liked very much). The dialog between Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell follows:

GRANT: Maybe we could just skulk around here for a bit and then go back down.

MCDOWELL: That's a thought. I don't usually skulk, but I suppose I could skulk if skulking were required.
Do you skulk regularly?

GRANT: No. No, I don't normally think of myself as a skulker but...

MCDOWELL: Well, why don't you come in and skulk for a while and we'll see?

mrssherlock

« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »
Marcie:  Thanks for clearing that up for us.   :D
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2010, 05:49:42 PM »
That's funny Marcie. I never watched that movie.

oh, BTW: Oxygen Channel will be running Pride and Prejudice and Being Jane on Sat. the 13th.

JudeS

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2010, 08:29:25 PM »
Perhaps this is off the topic but have any of you seen the Masterpiece  version of Little Dorrit by Dickens? They took eleven hours divided into five parts  which just finished last week on my PBS Station in N.CA. It was superb and if any of you have a chance to see it don't miss it.

I am taping Emma since I want to try and see it all at once but I haven't read the book although its been om my shelf since the last production of this story some three years ago.(Or perhaps longer).

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2010, 10:38:34 PM »
Frybabe, that's wonderful that Oxygen will be showing Pride and Prejudice and Being Jane.

JudeS, I didn't see the recent Little Dorrit. I hope it will show again in my area.

Next Sunday PBS will be showing last year's version of Northanger Abbey. I can't recall what I thought of it. I'll have to watch it again!

salan

« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2010, 05:36:17 AM »
Did any of you see the movie, The Jane Austen Book Club?  I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and watched it several times.  I then bought the book and couldn't get through it.  I was really disappointed in the book.  Most of the time I find books to be much better than movies----but not this time!  My PBS station will be showing Northanger Abbey.  I am looking forward to it as it has been a while since I read the book.
Sally

Aliki

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2010, 07:52:31 AM »
marcie: "The "skulking" metaphor comes from "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (which I liked very much). The dialog between Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell follows:"

I LOVED "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and watch it every time I see it on. It has so many of my favorite British 'ensemble' actors (can't remember their names at the moment...it's going 8am and I've been up since 3:30!! grrrr). There is one very awkward fellow in it who also plays the son Hugo on The Vicar of Dibley series who I particularly like and I think Kristen Thomas.

Babi

« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2010, 08:41:07 AM »
LOL! Loved it, MARCIE.

oH,I would love to see 'Little Dorrit', JUDE. I haven't seen anything
about it on PBS here.  I'm going to go explore and see if it's coming
up anytime soon. (The local station only schedules two weeks in advance.)

Thanks for that note about the Jane Austen Club, SALLY. I think I'll
skip the book and go for the movie.

Frybabe

« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2010, 11:08:01 AM »
I've watched The Jane Austen Book Club several times. It is what has inspired me to attempt all of Austen's books sometime in the future.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2010, 03:01:27 PM »
We discussed "The Jane Austen Cub" here with the author, Karen Joy Fowler, in the discussion, and it was great. Some of us (not me) met her for tea, and said she was delightful. I have pictures, if someone will tell me how to put them on.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
JoanK, if you email me the photos, I'd be glad to share them here: marciei@aol.com

A few months ago on a movie chanel on TV I saw the 1988 version of Little Dorrit directed by Christine Edzard. It was a major UK feature film starring Alec Guinness and Derek Jacobi amongst a large cast of over 300 British actors. Sarah Pickering was wonderful as Little Dorrit. I tried to google her and it looks like she didn't act after that one splendid role.