Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2009-2010  (Read 115119 times)

Aliki

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic
« Reply #360 on: March 30, 2010, 12:09:41 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2010 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

Small Island
April 18-25, 2010, 9pm

Two 90-minute episodes
When an ambitious Jamaican woman moves to gritty post-war London, she finds that the "Mother Country" is not the land of opportunity she had imagined. Starring Naomie Harris, Ruth Wilson and Benedict Cumberbatch and based on the award-winning, bestselling novel by Andrea Levy. Small Island is available for online viewing April 19 - May 25 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/smallisland/watch.html

PAST PROGRAMS

The Diary of Anne Frank
April 11, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The most accurate adaptation of Anne Frank's account of hiding from the Nazis stars newcomer Ellie Kendrick as the maturing teenager undergoing an extraordinary ordeal. The Diary of Anne Frank airs on Holocaust Remembrance Day, 2010. Watch the program online from April 12 through May 11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/annefrank/watch.html

Sharpe's Peril
April 4, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The adventures of Colonel Richard Sharpe continue as he leads a ragtag party of civilians and soldiers on a march across India, with the murderous army of an opium lord in hot pursuit.  Watch it online through April 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sharpeschallenge/watch.html

Sharpe's Challenge
March 28, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Soldier-adventurer Richard Sharpe comes out of retirement to quash a rebellion in British India. Sean Bean returns as the swashbuckling hero of this series based on Bernard Cornwell's novels. Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi guest stars. Watch it online through April 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sharpeschallenge/watch.html

The 39 Steps
February 29, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Secret agent Richard Hannay battles German spies on the eve of World War I in a riveting and romantic new version of the thriller by John Buchan. Rupert-Penry Jones (Persuasion) stars as Hannay.  Learn more about this series at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/39steps/39steps.html.  Watch the full episodes online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/steps/watch.html through March 30. Email JoanP for a copy of the book for only the cost of postage. Read some of Buchan's works online at http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a285

Persuasion (Encore Presentation)
February 21, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sally Hawkins plays Jane Austen's Anne Elliot, a woman destined for spinsterhood after refusing a proposal eight years earlier. Then her spurned suitor reappears. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/persuasion/index.html. The text of Jane Austen's Persuasion is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/105

Northanger Abbey (Encore Presentation)
February 14, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a medieval house that appeals to her most lurid fantasies, romance addict Catherine Morland (Felicity Jones) begins a relationship with the younger son of the estate in this adaptation of the Jane Austen novel.  Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/northangerabbey/index.html. The text of Northanger Abbey is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/121/121-h/121-h.htm#2HCH0001

January 24-February 7, 2010, 9pm

Three episodes.
A new adaptation of Jane Austen's comic tale of a headstrong young woman's failed matchmaking schemes. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/index.html.
See resources provided by PBS at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/emma/emma_links.html

January 10-17, 2010, 9pm
Return to Cranford

Two 90-minute episodes.
The construction of a new railroad line is at once thrilling and threatening to the residents of Cranford. This sequel stars Judi Dench, Imelda Staunton and Julia McKenzie. New faces include Jonathan Pryce and Tim Curry. From the creators: “We leapt at the opportunity to include two strands from Cranford that we hadn’t been able to include the first time around, introducing two colourful new characters: Lady Glenmire (Celia Imrie) and the conjuror Signor Brunoni (Tim Curry). We looked for additional source material to weave into the mix, and finally settled on two very different Gaskell stories that excited us: The Moorland Cottage and The Cage At Cranford." Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford2/index.html.

December 20, 2009-January 3, 2010, 9pm
Cranford (Encore Presentation)

Three episodes (Episode one 120 minutes; episode two 60 minutes; episode three 120 minutes).
The Emmy-nominated drama about a small English village in 1842 on the brink of change — where some find romance and opportunity, and others fear the breakdown of social order. The series is based on three Elizabeth Gaskell novels: Cranford, My Lady Ludlow and Mr. Harrison's Confessions. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford/index.html.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

mrssherlock: "too many battles, screaming men on horses, cameras panning heaps of the dead,"

Yes, in fact during that first 25-30 minutes I did watch I kept thinking of "Saving Private Ryan."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #361 on: March 30, 2010, 06:22:36 PM »
I didn't even last 25 minutes. I'm glad I didn't miss anything.

salan

« Reply #362 on: March 30, 2010, 06:36:06 PM »
Our PBS has been pledge driving all month.  Sharpe starts Sunday with the first episode from 6-8 and the next one from8-9..  I have been looking forward to it as I really liked the first series (lots of episodes!!).  Joan, Jackie, Aliki--did you watch the first episodes??  I'm hoping that it is better than you think!
Sally

mrssherlock

« Reply #363 on: March 30, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »
Sally  Yes, I liked the Sharpe stories.  They were gritty but there was intelligence in the writing.  You'll have to judge this one for yourself.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #364 on: March 31, 2010, 09:14:11 AM »
 Yes, it was predictable, JACKIE.  But still, colorful.  And I did enjoy the
relationship and byplay between Sharpe and his Irish friend, Pat.  Now
him I thoroughly enjoyed.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Aberlaine

« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »
Joan, thank you for sending me your Diary of Anne Frank book.  I'll start it immediately and am sure I'll have it finished by April 11th.  I'll send you a check for the postage tomorrow.  And will definitely send a thank you note to PBS Masterpiece Classics for the book.

When I'm finished with the book and have seen the movie, do you want me to send the book back to you?

Nancy

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2010, 09:32:53 PM »
I agree with you Babi, that the relationship between Sharpe and his Irish friend was enjoyable. It wasn't one of the kind of BBC dramas we've talked about here before. It was more of an "action/adventure" movie. I do like the actor Sean Bean :-)

Babi

« Reply #367 on: April 02, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »
Tut, MARCIE, what's not to like?  ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: April 02, 2010, 11:11:30 AM »
 :o ;D

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #369 on: April 02, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »
Happy to hear you received the book already, Nancy.  You hold on to it when you are through.  It's like musical chairs.  This newer, more complete edition is going to be shocking to some. Otto Frank held back some of the material to protect his daughter's privacy. (The PBS presentation is based on this new edition.)  I'd like to hear from those who read it whether you think this edition will replace the edition available to young people - or if it is too graphic for school libraries...

Tomereader1

« Reply #370 on: April 02, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »
JoanP, I am mailing your money for the book out today.  I had temporarily misplaced your address.  I forgot to put any Identification in the envelope, so look for the return address sticker.

Joanne
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Aliki

« Reply #371 on: April 04, 2010, 08:10:34 AM »
Joan, Hi!

I had sent out the stamps for '39 Steps' and also 'Anne Frank' but didn't hear whether or not you received them. I had forgotten to enclose a note but am fairly sure I emailed you to tell you.

Hope you are having a Glorious Spring!! We are here in Philly. I sure am a 'sun worshiper' for a 'lunar person!' I'm ecstatic that it finally stopped raining here! (I think this is where my mom would have said, "Bite your tongue!" and my grandmother would have told me not to put the 'mal oches' on the weather!!)

Thanks again, aliki   :D

Happy Easter to all who celebrate it, also Good Passover, Happy Noh Ruz and I can't remember other Spring holidays right now but whatever each of you celebrates...by all means, CELEBRATE LIFE!!  I am particularly grateful this year. My daughter Dara who survived the cancer surgery has invited me to attend mass with her...then we'll go 'have a bite...'

So...as the Greeks would say: "Xpistos Anesti...alithos anesti!"

aliki

Babi

« Reply #372 on: April 04, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »
 ALIKE, just reading that you are attending mass this morning with a daughter who survived
cancer adds to the pleasure of my day.  You both have a great deal to celebrate!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: April 04, 2010, 10:25:46 PM »
What wonderful news about your daughter, Aliki. Certainly a time to celebrate LIFE.

Aliki

« Reply #374 on: April 05, 2010, 08:14:33 AM »
Dear Babi and marcie...your tender sentiments warmed my heart. Yes, we had shared a miracle and just had to carry it through on such a perfect day. The flowers and trees were all in bloom, the weather was warm and there was an outdoor buffet for those who like sweets!!

The sugar got to us so we rounded off our outing with a trip to the Jewish Deli, the Kibbitz Room, and had big bowls of matzoh ball soup with a matzoh ball bigger than a softball plunk in the middle with bowties swimming 'round in the luscious broth. (Our family is SO multi-cultural...I love it!)

Thank you both again. It was truly a REAL EASTER for us.

aliki

Babi

« Reply #375 on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:15 AM »
 ALIKI,  Applebee's just introduced a Reuben sandwich (my favorite) to their menu.  It's hardly
a traditional Easter dinner, but I loved it!

Tomereader1

« Reply #376 on: April 05, 2010, 11:35:58 AM »
My newspaper's TV section indicated that Sharp's Periil was to air last night...guess what?  It didn't.  I was upset as I intended to DVR it, while I watched the ladies NCAA basketball semi-finals.  Also upset.  Stanford defeated Oklahoma; and UConn (of course) defeated Baylor.  I had hoped that Baylor would have made a little better showing.  But UConn were their usual awesome selves.   So, final on Tuesday; UConn v. Stanford.   I guess I will root for UConn.  (This basketball can officially stop interfering with my TV programs, LOL)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #377 on: April 05, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Babi was it an open-faced Ruben or a regular sandwich style? I haven't been to Applebees in about four months. There used to be a restaurant in Harrisburg that served a Ruben that was open-faced just heaped with corned beef and sourkraut and swiss cheese. Every Ruben gets judged by that one and usually they fall short. I haven't seen an open-faced Ruben served in years.

Tomereader1

« Reply #378 on: April 05, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »
Now you girls have got me hankering for a Reuben.  I think the best one I ever had (actually it was the first one) was made by my sister-in-law, and I thought I had gone to heaven!!  There used to be a drive-through sandwich shop chain here (can't remember the name) that finally got around to putting Reubens on the menu, and then that one closed down.   I made my own awhile back, but while good, not even close.  A friend fixed some for lunch one day, and they were excellent also.  Actually, I'd prefer to pick up the sandwich in my hands, rather than "open face".  I've never had anything served "open face" (especially roast beef sand.) that was worth writing home about. 

André Maurois

Phyll

« Reply #379 on: April 05, 2010, 03:32:54 PM »
Our local PBS finally finished their fund raising and we saw Sharpe's Challenge last night.  I'm sorry....just too, too much buckling of the swash for me in this series!  They must use a ton of ketchup for all the blood that is spilled.  After awhile this constant violence gets really boring.  Except for the fact that the rest of television programming is so awful I'd probably pass the rest of this series.
phyllis

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #380 on: April 05, 2010, 06:43:17 PM »
It was on here, too, but I didn't watch. I agree with Phyll.

Aliki

« Reply #381 on: April 05, 2010, 06:48:07 PM »
Babi:  Applebee's just introduced a Reuben sandwich (my favorite) to their menu.

Yes, nothing like a good Reuben unless my once or twice a year Hot Pastrami sandwich. And our deli has a pickle bar instead of a salad bar...pickled tomatoes, sourkraut, sweet and sour cucumber, cauliflower, red bell pepper slices and carrot pennies...and of course, both garlic pickles and hot and sour pickles...all you can eat!

Well all...the Reuben seems to be a favorite amongst readers!!

aliki

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #382 on: April 05, 2010, 06:52:11 PM »
Unfortunately, I've been in the "salt" discussion, so my enthusiasm for reubens is waning. I'm even thinking of throwing out the rest of my Nathans hot dogs.

Frybabe

« Reply #383 on: April 05, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »
Salt has been used for preserving foods and for medicinal purposes since ancient times. It is no wonder we have such a taste for salty foods.

Babi

« Reply #384 on: April 06, 2010, 08:40:34 AM »
 This was a closed, grilled Reuben, FRYBABE, and delicious. Not overloaded with
with the corned beef. I had one in Baton Rouge that was piled so high I
couldn't get it in my mouth. Took off about two-thirds of the meat in
order to eat it, took the rest home and made two more sandwiches from it!

Telling us what's bad for us is a popular theme.  It seems to constantly run to something new.
Too much sugar is bad for us, too much salt, red meat is bad, chocolate is bad...always
something.  I think the key words in this subject are "too much".  Too much of anything is
probably not good, ...hence, the too much!

Aliki

« Reply #385 on: April 06, 2010, 10:06:40 AM »
JoanK: I'm even thinking of throwing out the rest of my Nathans hot dogs.

Joan, I've been having the same ambivalent feelings about hot dogs, especially the ones in 'natural casing' which 'pop' when you bite into them. And I'm a 'beaner' originally so our regular Saturday night meal was Hot Dogs, B&M baked beans and apple sauce!

I just quarter the frequency of these treats and memories and still have them in my life.

Babi...I agree with you on the 'too much' theory. I think in the US of A we just eat 'too much' of everything!

aliki

Tomereader1

« Reply #386 on: April 06, 2010, 11:45:25 AM »
Too much!  Yep, that's the secret.  I eat too much chocolate! 

There is so much offered today.  People who come to this country must be absolutely astounded at the bounty in our grocery stores.  I was born here, lived here all my life, and I still get awestruck every time I grocery shop - - and they keep building bigger and bigger stores, there are just multiples of everything on the shelves and grocery stores have "everything" now; makeup, cards, magazines, household items, my Kroger even has b-b-q grilles and patio furniture, small TV's,
cell phones, etc.  I could go on and on, but you all know that!  We are so blessed, and yet, I don't think we are always properly thankful for our bounty.  'Nuf off-topic stuff from me, I tend to blather.  BTW, who's sending me that Reuben sandwich?

André Maurois

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #387 on: April 06, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
Moderation is the key to a healthy lifestyle in my honest opinion.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #388 on: April 06, 2010, 12:06:34 PM »
There is an interview with Bernard Cornwell, the author of the Sharpe books, on the PBS site at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sharpeschallenge/cornwell.html. There is some humorous info about the appeal to women of Sean Bean (the actor who was cast to play Sharpe after the original actor broke his leg).

It's interesting to speculate how Sharpe history might have changed had Paul McGann not broken his leg, since he was originally cast as Sharpe.

It was terribly bad luck for Paul, but it had an interesting effect among British women fans, of which there are many. There's an iconic picture of Sean wearing a shirt and his green jacket and holding a rifle. His clothing is unbuttoned almost to his belly button. There's lots of good Sheffield chest showing, and it has become a very popular picture. But the only reason he's doing it is because when he took over at the last minute they didn't have time to get his new uniform, so for the first week he had to wear Paul McGann's costumes, which were too small for him.

:)

I don't know if there are any more Sharpe episodes in the works. The ending of "Sharpe's Peril" seemed like it could end the TV series, with Sharpe going home to his farm. Of course, he isn't home yet :-)

Babi

« Reply #389 on: April 07, 2010, 09:18:14 AM »
MARCIE, I had to smile at the explanation of the sexy picture being due to clothes too small.
But what is a 'Sheffield' chest?
 I do hope the poor man makes it home. He's really tired of all this and WANTS TO GO HOME!

Babi

« Reply #390 on: April 07, 2010, 09:27:12 AM »
 Oh, forgot to say....the saddest part of "Sharpe's Peril", to me, was that so-very-young
officer who was killed.  I know it was common practice for boys in their teens to be sent to
war, but it was heartbreaking.  And I never could understand the idiocy of upper-class men
being able to buy a postiion as military officer, even if they knew nothing whatever about
leading men in war.  It was simply taken for granted that the aristocracy were natural born
leaders. And, of course, you couldn't have an aristocrat or noble in the position of taking orders from someone of the lower classes! 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #391 on: April 07, 2010, 10:23:57 PM »
I agree, babi, that the saddest part of Sharpe's Peril was the death of the  young officer. He looked to be 14-16 years old. When Sharpe and Patrick first visited the camp and asked to be taken to the officer in charge, they were brought to the youngster. I guess the older officers had been killed. The young boy had a lot of spunk and courage. Re the aristocracy and officers, I can't remember how Sharpe became an officer, although he was not from the aristocracy. I guess some lower class men made it up through the ranks.

I think the "Sheffield" chest refers to his birthplace. The actor was born Shaun Mark Bean in the Handsworth district of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.

Babi

« Reply #392 on: April 08, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »
  Do you suppose that manly chest is typical of the Sheffield males.  ???  Surely, word would
have gotten around among the feminine gender.  ;)

mrssherlock

« Reply #393 on: April 08, 2010, 10:54:42 AM »
There was a scene in Sharpe's Challenge where in the midst of a battle a young boy became the highest living officer and led a charge.  Perhaps this was the same one.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: April 08, 2010, 11:44:19 AM »
LOL, Babi. mrssherlock, I don't recall the boy in the scene from Sharpe's Challenge but he could have been the same.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #395 on: April 08, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »
I'm reading Anne Frank's Diary right now in preparation for the program on Sunday. What a precocious girl she was. There is a lot of humor in her diary so far, as well as descriptions of the terrible fear she felt sometimes in the secret annex. The book reminds me a bit of "The Book Thief."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #396 on: April 08, 2010, 03:18:06 PM »
"I eat too much chocolate! "

My way of trying to control that: Trader Joes makes some chocolate drops I like. I buy a bag and keep it in the freezer! It's too hard to chomp down -- to eat it, you have to hold it in your mouth and let it melt slowly. It may take saveral minutes to eat one. I allow myself a couple a day; one bag lasts months.

(The kind I use is called "UFOs" and is mint and dark chocolate. But anything chocolate at Trader Joes is good)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #397 on: April 08, 2010, 08:49:38 PM »
JoanK, thanks for the great tip about keeping chocolate in the freezer. I too am a chocoholic and will try your method.

Babi

« Reply #398 on: April 09, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »
 No,  when Sharpe met the youngster in the second film, he was meeting
him for the first time. He was surprised at the boy's youth, and they
had to be introduced.

I don't think I will watch "Anne Frank's Diary".  Between "The Book Thief" and the current
discussion of "Troublesome Young Men",  I think I have all the Nazis and their works I can stand.
Too much of that sort of thing has me longing for Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn!

mrssherlock

« Reply #399 on: April 09, 2010, 12:43:05 PM »
Sharpe wasn't in the scene when the boy had to take command of his unit  in Challenge.
Jackie