Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2009-2010  (Read 114924 times)

marcie

• Administrator
PBS Masterpiece Classic 2009-2010
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:20:04 AM »

Masterpiece Classic 2010 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

PAST PROGRAMS

Small Island
April 18-25, 2010, 9pm

Two 90-minute episodes
When an ambitious Jamaican woman moves to gritty post-war London, she finds that the "Mother Country" is not the land of opportunity she had imagined. Starring Naomie Harris, Ruth Wilson and Benedict Cumberbatch and based on the award-winning, bestselling novel by Andrea Levy.

The Diary of Anne Frank
April 11, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The most accurate adaptation of Anne Frank's account of hiding from the Nazis stars newcomer Ellie Kendrick as the maturing teenager undergoing an extraordinary ordeal. The Diary of Anne Frank airs on Holocaust Remembrance Day, 2010.

Sharpe's Peril
April 4, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The adventures of Colonel Richard Sharpe continue as he leads a ragtag party of civilians and soldiers on a march across India, with the murderous army of an opium lord in hot pursuit.  

Sharpe's Challenge
March 28, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Soldier-adventurer Richard Sharpe comes out of retirement to quash a rebellion in British India. Sean Bean returns as the swashbuckling hero of this series based on Bernard Cornwell's novels. Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi guest stars.

The 39 Steps
February 29, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Secret agent Richard Hannay battles German spies on the eve of World War I in a riveting and romantic new version of the thriller by John Buchan. Rupert-Penry Jones (Persuasion) stars as Hannay.  Learn more about this series at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/39steps/39steps.html.  Watch the full episodes online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/steps/watch.html through March 30. Email JoanP for a copy of the book for only the cost of postage. Read some of Buchan's works online at http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a285

Persuasion (Encore Presentation)
February 21, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sally Hawkins plays Jane Austen's Anne Elliot, a woman destined for spinsterhood after refusing a proposal eight years earlier. Then her spurned suitor reappears. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/persuasion/index.html. The text of Jane Austen's Persuasion is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/105

Northanger Abbey (Encore Presentation)
February 14, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a medieval house that appeals to her most lurid fantasies, romance addict Catherine Morland (Felicity Jones) begins a relationship with the younger son of the estate in this adaptation of the Jane Austen novel.  Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/northangerabbey/index.html. The text of Northanger Abbey is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/121/121-h/121-h.htm#2HCH0001

January 24-February 7, 2010, 9pm

Three episodes.
A new adaptation of Jane Austen's comic tale of a headstrong young woman's failed matchmaking schemes. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/index.html.
See resources provided by PBS at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/emma/emma_links.html

January 10-17, 2010, 9pm
Return to Cranford

Two 90-minute episodes.
The construction of a new railroad line is at once thrilling and threatening to the residents of Cranford. This sequel stars Judi Dench, Imelda Staunton and Julia McKenzie. New faces include Jonathan Pryce and Tim Curry. From the creators: “We leapt at the opportunity to include two strands from Cranford that we hadn’t been able to include the first time around, introducing two colourful new characters: Lady Glenmire (Celia Imrie) and the conjuror Signor Brunoni (Tim Curry). We looked for additional source material to weave into the mix, and finally settled on two very different Gaskell stories that excited us: The Moorland Cottage and The Cage At Cranford." Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford2/index.html.

December 20, 2009-January 3, 2010, 9pm
Cranford (Encore Presentation)

Three episodes (Episode one 120 minutes; episode two 60 minutes; episode three 120 minutes).
The Emmy-nominated drama about a small English village in 1842 on the brink of change — where some find romance and opportunity, and others fear the breakdown of social order. The series is based on three Elizabeth Gaskell novels: Cranford, My Lady Ludlow and Mr. Harrison's Confessions. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford/index.html.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic: Cranford
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »
The new season of Masterpiece Classic is starting soon! It will begin with a re-broadcast of "Cranford."

This season, MASTERPIECE CLASSIC presents new adaptations of The Diary of Anne Frank, Emma (starring Romola Garai, Michael Gambon and Jonny Lee Miller), The 39 Steps (with Rupert Penry-Jones), Small Island, Return to Cranford (featuring Judi Dench, Imelda Staunton and Julia McKenzie) and the return of British soldier-hero Richard Sharpe in Sharpe's Challenge and Sharpe's Peril. Laura Linney hosts MASTERPIECE CLASSIC, premiering December 20, 2009 with an encore presentation of the original Cranford.

See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/index.html

Babi

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:19:15 AM »
 Oh, what great news, MARCIE.  There are several in that line-up I
would want to see.  I'll have to check and see which ones my local
station is offering.  They only post two weeks worth of PBS programs
at a time, so I have to go back and re-check bi-weekly.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »
If any of you who own a Kindle would like to read the Cranford Book before the PBS presentation it is free from Amazon.  I thought I would like to read it if it was on Kindle and found that it does not cost anything.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:58:56 PM »
That's great news, JoanG, for those who have Kindles. Thanks for letting us know.

Babi

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:57:25 AM »
 I woner if I am confusing "Cranford" with another story.  Is this the one
about the small village with the excess of domineering widows?  Or is
this the hotel Cranford?  Or do I have it totally wrong?  :-\
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
Babi, it's the one with the older ladies.

From the PBS description: "Welcome to Cranford, circa 1840...a rural English town where etiquette rules, undergirded by a healthy amount of gossip. Modernity is making a move in town as construction of a railway comes harrowingly close. Cranford's eclectic residents, among them Matty Jenkyns (Dame Judi Dench) her sister Deborah (Dame Eileen Atkins), and Miss Pole (Imelda Staunton), stay immersed in the sweet pleasures and sometimes heartbreaking realities of simple village life. But when a handsome, young doctor arrives with cutting-edge new techniques, it rapidly becomes clear that as the world changes, so Cranford will change with it. Based on three Elizabeth Gaskell novels (Cranford, My Lady Ludlow and Mr. Harrison's Confessions), and boasting an all-star cast, Cranford breathes life into one town during one extraordinary year."

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:40:56 PM »
Great weather to stay inside with a cup of something warm and a good book, isn't it?

Do you remember when the PBS Masterpiece MYSTERY series began - and PBS offered us some free copies of the featired mysteries - since we (SeniorLearn)  are Reading Promotion Partners in the  Library of Congress' Center for the Book along with PBS?

Well, we have another book offer to go with the upcoming "Return to Cranford"  scheduled for  January to kick off the 2010 Masterpiece Classic  series.  This is an adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford, written in 1840. This should be fun - with some of us reading the book and  discussing the PBS adaptation together with those who watched the show.  

These won't last long - we have 10 copies to give away, free, but for the postage.   We'll send them out Media Rate, to keep the cost down.  Just post here in the PBS discussion, or email me and I'll get your copy out to you as soon as they arrive here in Arlington.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 05:45:07 PM »
Babi, I'm interested to hear about "Hotel Cranford."  I grew up in Cranford, NJ - with an old hotel  situated right by the railroad line - don't know how the guests slept.  It's a great old 19th century hotel, though recently closed as a hotel.  The restaurant and the Ratskeller are thriving though.  Last summer a waiter told me that the rooms upstairs are still done up as they were the day they closed.

But tell, please tell about what you know of a Hotel Cranford?

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
Cranford starts December 20 on my PBS station,  and I'll be sure to watch.

I like Judi Dench and she will attract viewers.

I would like a copy of Cranford.  This sounds like a good line-up for Masterpiece.

I notice it was shown on BBC at the 18 and 25 of November and continues through December for BBC

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:51:24 PM »
I only saw bits of the first one. sURELY ONE of the three PBS stations here will show it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:55:34 PM »
All right, Pat! If you're going to quote Eeyore, you have to quote Pooh, too.
(from memory. Hope I've got it right.

The more it snows
Tiddley pom.
The more it snows
Tiddely pom
The more it goes
Tiddley pom
On snowing.
A.A.Milne

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 10:59:42 PM »
Pat, your information about the BBC viewing of Cranford made me investigate. It looks like the following site might have information about "Return to Cranford"
http://www.cranfordchronicles.com

Very cute Winnie the Pooh quotes  :)

Babi

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 08:33:51 AM »
Oh, good!  My local PBS station does have Cranford scheduled for Jan.20. 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 09:14:20 AM »
That's great, Babi! Would you like a copy of the book? - yours to keep to underline, to mark up?  I've got a pile to give away - from PBS.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 10:39:58 PM »
JoanK --- yes, you have it right.  Pooh has many songs and hums that are worth quoting.

Babi

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 09:10:16 AM »
 How can I turn down an offer like that, JOAN?  Will it get here before
the show date?  I'd love to have a copy. You do have my address, don't you?

Aliki

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »
I feel rather 'cheeky' asking for the free 'Cranford' but I've only had time to get here when Latin left off for vacation!.

I love Dame Judi and I did see Cranford a while back on my PBS station (which, by my memory, could have been this past year or within the last five)!

I thought I had the DVD but it was 'Ladies in Lavender' with Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.

I've kind of been peering into your lovely 'plate glass' shoppe window like a small child peering at sweets since Latin vacation but since I've not been a reader, let alone an avid reader like I see here in your group, I was timid to say anything. But oh...for Cranford...and Judi Dench...well, shall I say more?

Anyway, if I am considered and if you have enough books I'd love to have one. I've decided to get back to reading you see. I've gotten very lazy since the advent of ubercable with all of it's stations, especially History International which I watch quite regularly since I'm back to Latin (3rd time around...what IS it with Latin??!!)

I do love the 'lurking' but it gets to be 'not enough' doesn't it.

Aliki (a.k.a. alliemae)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 09:35:26 AM »
Yes, I do have your address, Babi.  I should make it clear that PBS is giving away copies of the one, the only "Cranford."  This is not a sequel book.  PBS will run their original adaptation and then pick up with their "Return to Cranford."  As I understand it, the characters will be the same.
JoanR, are you still interested in receiving a copy of Cranford?

PS, "Cheeky", will you email me your address?  I'll get your copy ouit as soon as they arrive here from Boston.
 :D

Aliki

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »
JoanP...hope you meant this Cheeky. I've just sent my email address...and Thanks!!

aliki

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 11:28:59 AM »
hahaha, yes - YOU are Cheeky! ;)  I got the address.  Thanks!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
JoanP: "JoanR, are you still interested in receiving a copy of Cranford?"

Did you mean JoannR or did you mean me? If me, yes. Do you have my address?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »
Yes, I meant JoanR, and yes, I do have your address, JoanK!  JoanR gathered from my post that there existed a sequel to the book - the Return to Cranford - which there is not.  She owns a gorgeous copy of Cranford already, so her copy is up for grabs to whomever is interested...

Babi

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2009, 08:34:34 AM »
The multitude of viewing available on TV is alluring, isn't it, ALIKI?  I
no doubt spend far too much time sitting in front of the screen, but
books don't leave you with nothing but re-runs all summer.  ;) They're
still my favorite pastime.
 I'm sure you'll enjoy talking about the book/show with us.  Glad you
decided to join us.

ALF43

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
Pat, you are a riot-- quoting eyeore.  I love that in you- the child that we all love so much.

Robert Frost said in Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening:

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

salan

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 06:03:22 AM »
My PBS station has been having a pledge drive for 3 weeks now.  Most aggravating since they have suspended regular programming and are showing programs that have already been shown a multitude of times.  I donate to PBS, but NEVER during their pledge drives--just my way of protesting!!  I am looking forward to seeing Cranford again.  I love Judi Dench.  Before the drive, they were showing Lark Rise to Candleford.  I somehow missed it the first time around, so am really enjoying it now and am anxious for them to start again. 
Sally

salan

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
Pat, thank you for quoting Eyeore.  It reminded me why I have always loved Winnie-the-Pooh!
Sally

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
Golly moses, look at that cast! .
This sequel stars Judi Dench, Imelda Staunton and Julia McKenzie. New faces include Jonathan Pryce and Tim Curry

Yeowee, how much better can it get? Perfect for the holidays.

serenesheila

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 04:15:49 PM »
I received 2 DVDs from Netflix, both entitled "Cranford.  I am a big fan of Judi Dench.  Rain is predicted for the next 2 days in my part of the world.  Perfect time for me to watch them. 

This is the first time I have checked out this discussion.  I watch a lot of PBS, but the shows you have talked about are not shown on my PBS channel, at the same time you are discussing programs.  I just checked, and "Cranford" is not listed.

Sheila

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »
I now find that my PBS stations won't be showing the rebroadcast of Cranford either.

Sheila, Good idea to order it from Netflix or watch it online.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »
Cranford will be shown on my PBS Station on Sunday night.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 01:23:59 AM »
That's great, Joan.

EvelynMC

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 05:39:45 PM »
JoanP:

I would like a copy of "Cranford" if they are available.  

I will be watching Cranford and taking part in the discussion.

I'll send you my address. Thanks.

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 06:21:13 PM »
You are on the list, Evelyn.  Just heard from PBS Masterpiece Classic today - was told they are on the way. 

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »
Is my name on the list?  If not please add it if there are any books left.

nfrsw

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 12:52:30 AM »
If there are any copies of Cranford still available, I would like one.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 06:01:17 AM »
Dear nfrsw,

Yes, there are still several copies of Cranford left - will you please email me your name and address and I'll send one off to you as soon as they arrive here.
Thank you.  Hope you will join in this discussion.

Pat, yes, you were the first name on the list!

Babi

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2009, 09:08:36 AM »
Only four days left 'til showtime!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »
 :)

Aberlaine

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2009, 12:54:39 PM »
Joan, I'd love a copy of Cranford, if you still have copies available.  I'll email you my address.  Thanks so much for this wonderful opportunity!

Nancy