Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2009-2010  (Read 114925 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic: Cranford
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2009, 04:17:26 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2010 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

Small Island
April 18-25, 2010, 9pm

Two 90-minute episodes
When an ambitious Jamaican woman moves to gritty post-war London, she finds that the "Mother Country" is not the land of opportunity she had imagined. Starring Naomie Harris, Ruth Wilson and Benedict Cumberbatch and based on the award-winning, bestselling novel by Andrea Levy. Small Island is available for online viewing April 19 - May 25 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/smallisland/watch.html

PAST PROGRAMS

The Diary of Anne Frank
April 11, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The most accurate adaptation of Anne Frank's account of hiding from the Nazis stars newcomer Ellie Kendrick as the maturing teenager undergoing an extraordinary ordeal. The Diary of Anne Frank airs on Holocaust Remembrance Day, 2010. Watch the program online from April 12 through May 11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/annefrank/watch.html

Sharpe's Peril
April 4, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
The adventures of Colonel Richard Sharpe continue as he leads a ragtag party of civilians and soldiers on a march across India, with the murderous army of an opium lord in hot pursuit.  Watch it online through April 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sharpeschallenge/watch.html

Sharpe's Challenge
March 28, 2010, 9pm

One 120-minute episode
Soldier-adventurer Richard Sharpe comes out of retirement to quash a rebellion in British India. Sean Bean returns as the swashbuckling hero of this series based on Bernard Cornwell's novels. Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi guest stars. Watch it online through April 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sharpeschallenge/watch.html

The 39 Steps
February 29, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Secret agent Richard Hannay battles German spies on the eve of World War I in a riveting and romantic new version of the thriller by John Buchan. Rupert-Penry Jones (Persuasion) stars as Hannay.  Learn more about this series at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/39steps/39steps.html.  Watch the full episodes online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/steps/watch.html through March 30. Email JoanP for a copy of the book for only the cost of postage. Read some of Buchan's works online at http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a285

Persuasion (Encore Presentation)
February 21, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sally Hawkins plays Jane Austen's Anne Elliot, a woman destined for spinsterhood after refusing a proposal eight years earlier. Then her spurned suitor reappears. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/persuasion/index.html. The text of Jane Austen's Persuasion is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/105

Northanger Abbey (Encore Presentation)
February 14, 2010, 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a medieval house that appeals to her most lurid fantasies, romance addict Catherine Morland (Felicity Jones) begins a relationship with the younger son of the estate in this adaptation of the Jane Austen novel.  Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/northangerabbey/index.html. The text of Northanger Abbey is available online at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/121/121-h/121-h.htm#2HCH0001

January 24-February 7, 2010, 9pm

Three episodes.
A new adaptation of Jane Austen's comic tale of a headstrong young woman's failed matchmaking schemes. Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/emma/index.html.
See resources provided by PBS at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/emma/emma_links.html

January 10-17, 2010, 9pm
Return to Cranford

Two 90-minute episodes.
The construction of a new railroad line is at once thrilling and threatening to the residents of Cranford. This sequel stars Judi Dench, Imelda Staunton and Julia McKenzie. New faces include Jonathan Pryce and Tim Curry. From the creators: “We leapt at the opportunity to include two strands from Cranford that we hadn’t been able to include the first time around, introducing two colourful new characters: Lady Glenmire (Celia Imrie) and the conjuror Signor Brunoni (Tim Curry). We looked for additional source material to weave into the mix, and finally settled on two very different Gaskell stories that excited us: The Moorland Cottage and The Cage At Cranford." Learn more about this series at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford2/index.html.

December 20, 2009-January 3, 2010, 9pm
Cranford (Encore Presentation)

Three episodes (Episode one 120 minutes; episode two 60 minutes; episode three 120 minutes).
The Emmy-nominated drama about a small English village in 1842 on the brink of change — where some find romance and opportunity, and others fear the breakdown of social order. The series is based on three Elizabeth Gaskell novels: Cranford, My Lady Ludlow and Mr. Harrison's Confessions. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford/index.html.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

You've got it - as soon as PBS gets them here, I'll send one on to you, Nancy.
Hey - we've got snow!!!  It will be a white Christmas here - 15 inches, and counting~
I love it - but then, I don't have to shovel it!

Mippy

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 09:39:58 AM »
Fortunately I saw this in time to record the Dec 20th episode.  I'll be watching it as soon as I have a free evening!   Thanks for the heads up!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2009, 12:00:18 PM »
If anyone didn't see the TV episode (my PBS stations didn't show it), Cranford is available for online viewing through January 10, 2010 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford/watch.html.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »
Thanks, Marcie.  I missed  it, too.  I was out celebrating -- well everyone else was celebrating and I was drinking tea.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2009, 03:36:59 PM »
Tea? Are you sure?

I did see it, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I saw bits and pieces of it the first time, and could never put the whole thing together.

But it was only half of it. Are they going to finish it next week?

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2009, 05:25:02 PM »
I really had a hard time with Cranford.  It was very hard for me to keep the character's straight.  I had the same problem with reading it.  I hope that as it goes on that it will become easier for me.  I really like the scenery and the talk about the customs.  However the talk just seems to be small talk about nothing. It seems to me that the characters just participate in small talk and that they all keep the important things to themselves.  This seems to cause real problems in their lives.  I will keep plugging at it until I get everyone straight.  at least I hope that I will get them straight.

Joan Grimes

Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

nlhome

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 08:44:32 PM »
Ok, this is where I wanted to be. I'm reading the book now, will try to watch. I'm not sure our local PBS is showing these, but I can watch on line.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »
I tried watching Cranford but just didn't care for it.

Babi

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 08:30:34 AM »
 This was my second time to see Cranford, and enjoyed it even more
this time, perhaps because it was easier to keep track of the characters.
I also found I liked Miss Deborah much better this time. I recognized that
in spite of her strict rules as to what was 'proper' and 'appropriate', she
was always there when a neighbor was in need. 
   She wasn't well off,  like Miss Jamieson, or a member of the social
elite.  But she was the community's arbiter of all that was acceptable.
If Miss Deborah accompanied the grieving Miss Jessie Brown to bury her sister, then it must be all right.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 09:41:59 PM »
Miss Deborah is definitely the "backbone" for the other characters. I remember lasty time thinking that the second part really missed her. I'll see if I feel that way this time.

Babi

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2009, 08:47:44 AM »
 It does seem odd to think of the entire second half of the story being
without Miss Deborah.  You make a good point there, JOANK.  And I
do want to see the outcome for Miss Jessie Brown and her Scotsman.
  I will also be most interested to see how well the new "Return to Cranford" will be handled.  We have some good Sunday nights to look
forward to.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Aliki

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2009, 11:54:53 AM »
The multitude of viewing available on TV is alluring, isn't it, ALIKI?  I
no doubt spend far too much time sitting in front of the screen, but
books don't leave you with nothing but re-runs all summer.  ;) They're
still my favorite pastime.
 I'm sure you'll enjoy talking about the book/show with us.  Glad you
decided to join us.

Yes, Babi...oh yes! I have actually had to limit my tv viewing as one does a child!! Still, as you say, 'books don't leave you with nothing but re-runs all summer. ;)'

I look forward to talking about this show/book with this group. Thanks!

salan

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2009, 06:36:12 PM »
I watched Cranford and enjoyed it even more the second time.  Have any of you been watching Lark Rise to Candleford?  It's on in our area on Sat. evenings.  I am really enjoying it, also.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2009, 08:52:03 AM »
 I hadn't heard of that one, SALLY.  All I'm seeing on Saturday evenings
seems to be re-issues of "Great Performances", which consist almost
entirely of musical offerings that I can't hear anyway.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2009, 03:20:52 PM »
I cannot find Candleford being shown anywhere either but I did find the DVDs on Amazon.  They can be purchased.  They look interesting but if they are as confusing as Cranford then I would not be able to figure them out.

Joan Grimes

Aliki

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2009, 08:08:12 PM »
Just a note: I received my copy of 'Cranford' today! Thanks, JoanP. Your check will go out by return mail!

Babi

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2009, 08:45:16 AM »
 Which reminds me, JOANP.  Would you prefer the postage payment in
stamps? 

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »
I'm happy to learn that the books are arriving so quickly...considering the storms and the crush of holiday mailing.    I had intended to send them "Media Mail" - but the difference between that and first class was only four cents - and it would have taken five + days  rather than 2-4.  Need to commend the Post office. 

Sure, Babi - stamps would work for me...can always use stamps.
I intend to read enough by tomorrow night to get an idea of how well Gaskell's story translated into the video production.  I love Judi Dench, so will probably allow for her translation interpretation... :D

ps. JoanK - hope you received my email so I can get your copy on the way to you. Just received some extra copies - the last to request the books will go out today.  Still have two copies to give away.  Let me know if you are interested. 

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »
JoanP: did you get my e-mail? You had my address right. And TorrAnce.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »
JoanK, I didn't receive a return email from you, but it's good to know that I had your correct address.  Will get your book out to you - Monday, as the PO is closed now.  Thanks for letting me know!

Mippy

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2009, 10:44:13 AM »
JoanP ~ Thanks for sending the book so quickly.  It arrived yesterday and I've just begun to read.   
So far, there are a lot of differences from the first episode on TV, but not so that the book is confusing.   I'll hold off mentioning these details until everyone is ready for a discussion!

quot libros, quam breve tempus

bluebird24

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
is it too late for a free book?
would like this if you have some left

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2009, 10:30:42 PM »
Bluebird, email your address - and real name to me - and I'll get it out to you tomorrow.  Now I still have one left.  PBS was generous and sent some extras.

Babi

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2009, 09:14:19 AM »
 Still waiting for my copy to arrive.  Of course, the holiday has delayed
a lot of mail.  Should be here soon, tho.
  My older daughter and I watched the second part of "Cranford" last
night.  So many disappointments.  It was so unfair for Miss Matilda to
find her old love again after all those years, and then lose him. Did the
author really have to do that?
  The doctor's dear friend turns out to be a very foolish man,  making
extreme difficulties for the doctor and thinking it great fun! One does
want to slap the man. 
  I was surprised to see that this portion is not over. There are still issues
unresolved.  Mary Brown' Scottish love has not reappeared, and we are
beginning to hear a lot about Matilda's brother Peter.  He should be showing up soon.

nlhome

« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »
I am reading Cranford, but I had some time to watch a couple of chapters on the computer Christmas night - the rest of the family was watching a movie I have seen too many times, The Green Mile. I am reading more carefully now, to catch the nuances I wasn't always catching.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2009, 04:43:32 PM »
All day yexsterday, I was thinking it was Saturday, not Sunday: I missed Don's classical music show and the beginning of Cranford. But I saw the end: so sad, but somehow in keeping with the story.

salan

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2009, 05:48:10 PM »
Our PBS station is airing American Masters featuring Louisa May Alcott at 8 pm tonight.  I thought some of you might be interested if it is airing in your area.
I love Cranford.  It's good to see many of my favorite actors again.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2009, 08:47:26 AM »
 I was looking all over for something worth watching last night...with
no success.  I should have checked into the PBS show, but I was looking
for something more active than a biography.  I just went back to 'Kim'.

EvelynMC

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »
JoanP - I got my copy of "Cranford" in the mail yesterday.  A check for the postage is in the mail to you today.

Thank you for sending these books out to all of us.

Evelyn

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »
JoanP: I got mine too. Stamps are in the mail. Thank you.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »
JoanK, Evelyn, happy to hear that you received your copies of "Cranford."  Babi - have your received yours, yet?  I hope nothing happened to it.  I do have one copy left.
If anyone is interested - it's free, but for the postage.  Just email me your name and address and I'll send it on to you.  Babi, if yours is lost in the mail, I can send it on to you...

A happy NEW YEAR to you all!

Babi

« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »
No, I haven't received my copy yet.  I am assuming it was delayed due
to the holiday rush.  I won't give up just yet.  Pllease don't consider sending another one; I can get a library copy if necessary.

nfrsw

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2010, 01:08:43 AM »
I have received my copy.  Thank you.
I will be sending a check tomorrow.

Aberlaine

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
I've received my copy.  Thank you, Joan.  I've started reading it and am finding the story doesn't follow the movie at all.  But I don't mind at all.

Nancy

Babi

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
 I was happy to be able to notify Joan that my copy also arrived.  I'm
glad I saw the movie first, as the book, at least in the early parts, seems
to lean heavily on narrative. I'm hoping for a bit more activity and dialogue further on.

nlhome

« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2010, 10:26:47 AM »
Babi, it takes awhile to get into the rhythm of the book. If mine weren't on loan from another library and due back now, I would start over because I missed things at the beginning. I had watched a couple of chapters on my computer, and I will finish this weekend. It's pleasant to read/watch something like this now and then.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
For once, I have more books than I know what to do with. Even reading three at once,  I can't keep up. So "Cranford" will have to wait.

JoanP: I missed the mailwoman Thusday: your stamps should go out today.

Babi

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »
 Thanks for the alert, NL.  I'll pay more attention to the little details  of Cranford society and try not to skim too much. ;)

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2010, 12:03:04 AM »
I just finished watching Cranford and after all the negative things I said at first,  I must tell you that I enjoyed it very much.

Joan Grimes

Babi

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2010, 09:03:53 AM »
 It was sad to see another good man die, and another woman lose someone she had come to care for.  But Captain Gordon returned for
Jessie and Peter came home, so that was all to the good.  Of course all the 'rejected' females finding new prospective husbands was a bit too 'neat', but I won't quarrel with it.
   I need to check my schedule to be sure whether "Return to Cranford"
is scheduled for next week.