Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010  (Read 102598 times)

Frybabe

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2010, 07:12:15 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2010 brings back favorite sleuths with new episodes. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

A Study in Pink

October 24, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock Holmes teams up with former army doctor John Watson to solve a case of serial suicides and corner a killer who has mysterious powers over his victims.

COMING

The Blind Banker

October 31, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Pursuing the case of a banker and a journalist shot dead by a ghostly assailant, Sherlock and Watson uncover an antiquities-smuggling empire.

The Great Game

November 7, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a gripping match of wits, Sherlock solves crimes at a dizzying pace for a mad bomber who threatens to blow up innocent people.

ALREADY DISCUSSED
List of series and episodes already discussed.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

I'm excited about seeing three more Wallanders. I've already read two, only The Man Who Smiled is left (oh, and I still must read Firewall). Super news, while cruising Amazon I noticed that one more Wallander will be out at the end of March 2011. He had only planned to do eight books. The Pyramid(2009) is kind of a prequel being five stories about Wallander
s first cases and now this new one. Hurray!

Zulema, I noticed that Amazon also has in their listing the Swedish versions on DVD. However, they are marked not available with a notation that they can't be played on US and Canadian DVD readers. Perhaps they are in the process of converting to our formatting? A speculative hope.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2010, 11:03:12 PM »
Regrettably, this new updated adaptation of Agatha Christie's novel changes the tone of the story, introduces religious elements that are not in the book, and has Poirot shout(!) - which is completely out of character and a significant departure from the original text.

But also taken by itself, the movie disappoints, IMHO.  None of the characters is as strong and persuasive as those in the book,  or in at least one prior movie (the one with Bacall and Bergman).  Where heightened suspense could be expected, the end just hangs -- simply because there's  not enough time Poirot to explain the two different solutions he's reached, and his favoring the first one (which would be given to the Yugoslavian police).

I found myself unhappy with the casting :

the Princess Dragomiroff should have a Russian accent;
M. Bouc, the director of the Compagnie Internationale des Wagons Lits, who entrusts Poirot with the case,  is an old friend of Poirot's, and thus closer to Poirot's age than the actor who portrays M. Bouc;
the look of the actor who portrays Hector McQueen is too "modern" for the era.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Traude, we appreciate your comments. It seems that most of us are in agreement with you about this episode.

dean69

« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2010, 08:22:28 AM »
I am thoroughly enjoying reading the comments on Poirot and the "Murder On The Orient Express" episode.  Many have pointed out things that I did not see when I watched it.  However, I did tape it and look forward to seeing what I missed the first time.  Also, put me on your list for the Wallender books.  That is a great series and Kenneth Branaugh is superb in the role.

EvelynMC

« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »
I just finished watching "Murder on the Orient Express" on my computer.  Poirot shouting when he usually is polite to everyone and then having him portrayed this way, just doesn't jibe.  It almost seemed like overacting.

I agree, the introduction of the religious theme seemed unnecessary.

The book is enjoyable escapism.

I do hope tonight's PBS offering of Poirot is better.

Evelyn 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2010, 05:46:27 PM »
dean and evelyn, it's good to see you here among PBS Mystery fans. We're all hoping for an enjoyable new Poirot tonight!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #166 on: July 18, 2010, 07:41:42 PM »
Dean, you are on the growing list!  You're right!  This is a popular series!  I'll try to find out tomorrow just how many sets PBS can send us.
I'll need your name and address at jonkie@verizon.net.  Thanks!  Your screen name sounds familiar, but my address list goes to your real name...
I'm looking forward to this evening as well.

Zulema

« Reply #167 on: July 18, 2010, 10:52:18 PM »
Well, I have just seen "The Third Girl."  I am glad to say I liked it very much, both the photography and the acting and especially Poirot, who is the Poirot I have loved in the old episodes.  He does raise his voice once, but I think he does it for effect, and otherwise he is the gentlemanly little detective we were accustomed to see and hear, with his little smile and his fussy habits. 

And I would like to ask a technical question of Marcie and Joan.  After the last posting here, when I wish to post, I usually click on "next" to see if there is another page, and there does seem to be another page.  It showed I was on (4) and there was a (5) after it, but when I clicked on the (5) I got a page from April, and the same happened when I clicked on "next."

Zulema

« Reply #168 on: July 18, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »
Sorry to be a pest.  I clicked on GO UP and it got me here.  And I shouldn't have asked for the Wallander books, because I have read them all, and have The Fifth Woman here.  I cannot imagine how they would compress that into one episode.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »
Zulema, I haven't seen the Third Girl yet but now am looking forward to it more than ever since you say that our "old" Poirot that we are used to, is back! Thanks very much.

To get from page to page in a discussion, just click the numbers, not the NEXT button or Arrrow on your browser. If you clicked your browser button, it may be what got you to the beginning page of the discussion. GO UP should take you to the first post on the page you are on.

Babi

« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2010, 08:47:44 AM »
 I am pleased to say that "The Third Girl" was one I haven't seen before, and really don't remember reading it, either. What fun that was.  And yes, I was also pleased to see Monsieur
Poirot's mustaches once more perking upwards.  Ariadne Oliver was another pleasure.  I
thought the ending was a bit contrived.  I won't say more in case some have not yet seen the
film.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2010, 12:50:28 PM »
Babi. I too thought the Third Girl was very entertaining. The acting was great and Poirot was in good form. I really liked his having a sort of side-kick, or at least someone to talk to about the case, in Ariadne Oliver. There was humor in their exchanges. I miss the interchange he used to have with Hastings and Miss Lemon.

Poirot sure did tie everything up in the end. He explained every detail!

Frybabe

« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2010, 12:57:43 PM »
I miss the interchange he used to have with Hastings and Miss Lemon.

I do too, Marcie. I ran across an article that explained where Hastings went, but I don't remember seeing what happened to Ms. Lemon.

The Third Girl was indeed entertaining and much more like the old Poirot. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2010, 12:58:29 PM »
Frybabe - where did Hastings go? - I really enjoyed "Third Girl" too - thought it was great fun.  I have to wonder how true to Christie's book it was - the ending, I mean.  I especially enjoyed  Ariadne Oliver, who I gather is Agatha Christie inserting herself into her own story!  Loved it.  Where was she in the "Orient Express?"  She surely would have inserted some of the humor most of us found missing in that one.

I did see the star-studded Albert Finney film of Orient Express- Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Jacqueline Bisset, Tony Perkins, John Gielgud, Michael York, Vanessa Redgrave - whommmmm have I forgotten?  It was more a comedy, wasn't it?  A musical comedy at that.  But the ending - was it true to Christie?  Didn't the author leave more of a question at the end as to what Poirot would tell the Jugo-Slav police?  This one made it clear that he let them all off the hook, didn't it?

I really appreciate the fact that PBS is making these books available to us.  Brave of them , don't you think?  
Zulema, are you saying that you already read the copies they are making available to us?  If that's a YES, I'll take your name off the list.  Wow!  A real Mankell fan!  It will be interesting to hear what you think of the PBS productions in October.  Not sure what you mean about compressing them all into one episode.  There will be three, as I understand it.

To clarify - Last season, PBS made these titles available to us - Sidetracked, Firewall and One Step Behind

This season they are making the following available - Faceless Killers, The Man Who Smiled, and The Fifth Woman.

These are not new stories - Faceless Killers was the very first of the Wallendar stories, written in 1991 and translated into English in 1997.  I'm really interested in reading that one!

Let me know if anyone else here is interested in receiving a free set of the above mentioned titles.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2010, 02:52:22 PM »
Frybabe,  what happened to Hastings?

JoanP, thanks for reminding me I want to watch the Albert Finney version of Murder on the Orient Express. I checked and I'm third in line for the DVD at my public library.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2010, 03:17:02 PM »
JoanP: I forget if I already told you. I would like the Wallender books.

In the Agatha Christie books, Hasting gets maried and moves to South America to run a plantation. From then on, he pops up in some of the books (on a visit), but not most. Miss Lemon is also in only some of the books. I don't remember if we know what happens to her.

Ariadne Oliver is only in a few books. The portrayal on TV is much too elegant for the character in the book, who is more abentminded and careless about appearances. Whenever she gets out of a car, apples fall out too and roll all over the place. And she has pencils stuck in her hair.

But if you forget what Christie's character was like, the TV one is quite enjoyable.

I thought "The Third Girl" was much better done than "Orient Express". The characters were developed, unlike OE. And Poirot was better, as everyone said.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2010, 03:43:57 PM »
Thanks for the info on those characters, JoanK. LOL re Ariadne and the apples! I do recall that now from one of the books I've read.

serenesheila

« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2010, 03:49:43 PM »
JOAN P., I just tried to request a set of Wallendar's books.  However, the address you gave us, didn't work for me.  I would appreciate a set.  Here is my info:

Sheila Clinton-Reed
5824 Keyntel St.
Citrus Heights, CA.

Thank you for your service to us!
Sheila

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
Sheila - dunno what happened with that link - it did work for quite a few people.  However, this is just as good - and you are on the list for the Wallendar series.  JoanK, you are on the top of the list!  I hope you and PatH have a grand time in CA!

nlhome

« Reply #179 on: July 19, 2010, 11:06:06 PM »
I had read the Murder on the Orient Express long ago and have been reading it again now; I saw one of the movies. Tonight I finished watching the PBS program on line. I agree, it was a departure from the usual Poirot.

He seemed angry, first about the outcome of his investigation with the military, then the stoning of the woman, and then this murder. He was alone, no Hastings, no familiar policemen, not even Miss Lemon. He was more or less forced onto the train by a friend, then obligated to investigate the crime. He had to share a room the first night - certainly not what he was used to. His sleep was disturbed the night of the murder. Then the train stopped, it got colder and the power went out. All in all, he certainly wasn't in his comfort zone, was he?

I look forward to watching the next one - unfortunately I end up watching them on line rather than on TV, so I'm running behind.

n

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2010, 01:44:29 AM »
I'm glad you are able to watch the programs, nlhome. Don't be concerned about running behind.

dean69

« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2010, 06:50:00 AM »
Saw "The Third Girl" on Sunday night.  I must say I enjoyed it more than "Murder On The Orient Express."  Some characters from the book were omitted and the parts of some characters was changed, but I suppose that is to be expected when making a movie of a book.  Suchet's portrayal of Poirot was more in character.  Yes, even his mustaches were lifted upward.  Now on to "Appointment With Death."

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »
dean69, I'm glad you enjoyed the episode about the THIRD GIRL. I haven't read the mystery but it does seem that time constraints usually require characters to be dropped, merged or changed for the tv version.

It struck me funny that Norma's main objection to Poirot when she first sees him is that he's "too old." I don't recall if there are other comments about aging in other Christie mysteries.

Zulema

« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2010, 11:42:51 AM »
Joan, I didn't mean compressing all three books my Mankell.  I can be too terse to be understood, sorry.  Specifically, I meant The Fifth Woman.  It is such a hefty book and needs leisurely detective work, but that's the book, of course.  Yes, I have been a fan of Mankell for a long time, and read the Wallanders in order.  Faceless Killers is a very good one to start with, very straight sleuthing and the small town atmosphere great.  I have read a few non-Wallanders, the one I liked best is The Return of the Dancing Master.  It is a profoundly superb book.  I remember being asked by someone if I had read it, right after I had, and my answer was opening my mouth and making an "Ahhh" sound.  Descriptive, one might say.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2010, 07:26:24 PM »
Zulema, I'm glad that we have such a Mankell fan in this discussion. I look forward to your thoughts when we talk about the three books and episodes in October.

JudeS

« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2010, 01:07:53 AM »
I enjoyed "The Third Girl".  Having Agatha Christie and Poirot back was wonderful.  In the PBS version of Murder on the Orient Express I felt that both Christie and Poirot were impostors and not very successful ones at that.

Mostly I want to thank those of you who mentioned Henning Mankell.  I picked up a wonderful new book by him.  Actually the first Mankell I have read,"Italian Shoes" published in 2009.  It is not a real mystery but a wonderful portrayal of a man , a former surgeon, living alone on a tiny island in the Swedish Archipelego and what happens as he is visited by lost remnants of his past. I now want to read more of this author.

For those of you who haven't seen the 1970 ,Albert Finney, Murder on the Orient Express, it is a delight with Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Anthony Perkins,and other fantastic actors playing the various roles. Two full hours of good old mystery.

Frybabe

« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
Free seminar  titled "Agatha Christie and Archaeology". There are four sessions in this seminar:

http://www.fathom.com/directory/categories/1_archaeology.html

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »
Thanks, Frybabe, for posting that interesting course with background info on Agatha Christie's travels that relates them to archaeology sites. There is an archaeologist in the episode that will be broadcast next Sunday.

JudeS, I'm still waiting in the "hold" line for a copy of the Albert Finney DVD. I hope to get it soon.

I've only read some of the Wallander series by Mankell. Thanks for mentioning "Italian Shoes." It sounds intriguing.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2010, 06:21:29 PM »
I also enjoyed "The Third Girl" much more than "...the Orient Express".  Mrs. Oliver was portrayed much like she was in several of the Poirot Christie books I've read.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #189 on: July 21, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »
FlaJean, it looks like Zoe Wanamaker, who played Mrs. Oliver, has been in several filmings of Agatha Christie: Poirot Cards on the Table (2005), Mrs McGinty's Dead (2008), Third Girl (20080 and Hallowe'en Party (2010) (TV)

EvelynMC

« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
I agree with all of you, "The Third Girl" portrayed Poirot as we know and like him.  Zoe Wanamaker was very good in the role of Mrs. Oliver.  I have seen her in other Poirot stories as Mrs. Oliver and never knew her name.

Evelyn

JoanR

« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »
After being disappointed by the PBS version of "Orient Express", we borrowed the Finney film from the library and were very happy with that!  Glad to have been reminded of a good movie from the past.
I would like to be on the list for the new Wallander books - do you still have my address?
  I remember what a wonderful job they did previously with the TV versions of the books - not easy to do, but it worked.

Thanks, Zulema, for the suggestion of "Return of the Dancing Master" - it's now on my list which has become pretty daunting in length!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »
The FinneyOrient Express was most enjoyable - a romp,agree. JoanR, yes, will put you on the list for the Wallandar books  - will you please email me your address - my file system is not the greatest. ;D

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2010, 10:30:52 PM »
Marcie, I missed those Poirot films you mentioned that included Mrs. Oliver.  I wonder if they are on DVDs.  I'll have to check that out.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2010, 01:30:36 AM »
FlaJean, I don't know that I've seen those either.

nlhome

« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2010, 10:05:50 PM »
I had time to watch The Third Girl today, and I enjoyed it. Poirot was more comfortable in this story - less angry throughout, although he did get angry toward the end. He liked some of the people in this case; in the Orient Express story, I don't think he liked anyone involved.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »
nlhome, that's a good point. He might have sensed (though not deduced yet) that they were all putting on an act so he didn't see their real personalities.

Tomereader1

« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
Put me on the list for the 3 Wallender books.  I should be on your mailing list.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JudeS

« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »
I too would like the Wallender books if there are any left.Hope I'm still on your mailing list.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2010, 04:58:14 PM »
 I'm flattered that you both think I have such an efficient file system - but yes, I will check to see if I have past addresses - oh, and yes, I still have some sets of the Wallander books left.  PBS has been quite generous with us.

Judy, Joan, I found your addresses.  Tomereader, you're in Dallas, right?  Need to make sure I have the right name for you.  JoanK, your new address is on Yukon, or is that an old one?  If old, please email me new one again?  Sorry.