Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010  (Read 102318 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010
« Reply #400 on: October 22, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2010 brings back favorite sleuths with new episodes. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

The Great Game

November 7, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a gripping match of wits, Sherlock solves crimes at a dizzying pace for a mad bomber who threatens to blow up innocent people. Watch the episode online through December 7 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/watch.html

ALREADY DISCUSSED

The Blind Banker

October 31, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Pursuing the case of a banker and a journalist shot dead by a ghostly assailant, Sherlock and Watson uncover an antiquities-smuggling empire. Watch the episode online through December 7 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/watch.html

A Study in Pink

October 24, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock Holmes teams up with former army doctor John Watson to solve a case of serial suicides and corner a killer who has mysterious powers over his victims. Watch the episode online through December 7 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/watch.html

List of other series and episodes already discussed.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: October 22, 2010, 11:09:58 PM »
JoanP, I guess the TV folks wanted to show that Wallander was capable of, and wanted a loving relationship with someone, and they didn't want the complication of adding another character to the episode--one who isn't connected at all to the case. As you say, they've made decisions based on the 90 minute-framework and the medium of a TV episode, and some of them (especially his relationship with his father--the important trip they took together) are not to the liking of those of us who've read the books!

Babi

« Reply #402 on: October 23, 2010, 08:37:52 AM »
 You know, that listing of all the shows we've already discussed is getting really long.  Is there
any particular reason for keeping it up?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #403 on: October 23, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »
Babi, I'll remove the "already discussed" list tomorrow when I put up the new Sherlock Holmes.

Babi

« Reply #404 on: October 24, 2010, 08:50:46 AM »
 Oh, good!  Just think of all the space you'll save.   :)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #405 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »
I just finished reading The Man Who Smiled. I like the ending of the TV program better. Now I'm going to have to rewatch the program. The show certainly got around all the "waiting" and tedious paperwork tasks in the book.The book ended on an up note, a nice touch I thought.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #406 on: October 24, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »
Babi  :)

Frybabe, that's interesting that you enjoyed the TV version of THE MAN WHO SMILED better than the book. I do think that the TV versions are worth watching again.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #407 on: October 24, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »
Marcie,
Would you be willing to place all those discussions under one link so that anyone who has not seen the books or the movies would be able to peek into what everyone thought about the two mediums?

And tonight, the game's afoot at 9pm on PBS Masterpiece Mystery!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Frybabe

« Reply #408 on: October 24, 2010, 10:34:17 PM »
What an interesting Sherlock. I was fully prepared not to like it.  Was I surprised. Did you recognize Lestrade?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: October 24, 2010, 11:01:09 PM »
Annie, I added a link in the heading to the blurbs about the programs we've already watched and discussed.

Frybabe, that's encouraging that you enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes. I'm a bit anxious about it myself. I thought that Jeremy Brett was fantastic, especially in the early ones he did. I'm looking forward to seeing our new Sherlock Holmes tonight.

salan

« Reply #410 on: October 25, 2010, 05:06:42 AM »
Ummm!  My verdict is still out about Sherlock.  At this point, I am not sure that I like the actor playing Sherlock or the writer's interpretation of him.  He seemed a little ADD to me.  Not sure about Hastings either.   I definitely will watch again.  Maybe they'll "grow" on me.
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #411 on: October 25, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
LOL, salan, yes this Sherlock definitely has ADD. They both are addicted to danger. That puts an interesting twist to their characters. I too think that I will need a bit of time to have the characters grow on me though I'm finding them personable as actors (especially after Watson lost his pyschosomatic limp).

Frybabe, It's an interesting choice to have THE MAN WHO SMILED play Lestrade.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #412 on: October 25, 2010, 11:55:24 AM »
Ahhh, and we are introduced to Mycroft immediately!  I love Mycroft!  

But as to the rest of it, I thought that Sherlock spoke too fast when he was on a roll and he insulted everyone around him.  He does portray ADD, the one that we treat kids for!!

At least, Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett had good manners, even when they were on a hunt and they saw the clues in their minds.

I don't like the psychotic way the show portrays Sherlock's thinking with the print on the screen.  Do they think that we are all idiots and need that kind of stuff?

Thumbs down for me!

Does anyone know of how we could advise the producers/directors of our ideas???  ;)
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #413 on: October 25, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »
I started watching Sherlock and then the PBS station went out and there were very pretty vertical bars across the screen. :-\  Then the last 10 minutes it was on again.  So I'm hoping the local station will rerun it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: October 25, 2010, 03:29:39 PM »
Annie, Sherlock Holmes definitely has quirks. What about the three nicotine patches!

FlaJean, I hope you can see the episode. It's available online through December 7 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/watch.html

jeriron

« Reply #415 on: October 25, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »
I didn't enjoy it at all. For the reason that was mentioned above. Sherlock spoke so fast that I couldn't understand a thing he said and the close captions had to move fast to keep up with him that I could hardly read them. I don't think I will mind missing the next ones.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: October 26, 2010, 01:16:24 AM »
jeriron, Maybe he'll calm down a bit in the next episodes. We'll see.

Babi

« Reply #417 on: October 26, 2010, 08:33:15 AM »
 I was somewhat doubtful when I realized this series on Sherlock Holmes
was going to be placed in the 20th century.  I happy to say I thoroughly
enjoyed it.  I simply took it on it's own terms and found I like the new
Holmes-Watson relationship.  This Watson is a much more assertive person
in his own right, and it makes for a more interesting relationship.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #418 on: October 26, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
Thanks, Marcie, I'll look at it there.

mrssherlock

« Reply #419 on: October 26, 2010, 01:52:48 PM »
Count me as a fan of the new SH treatment.  Stands on its own so that I'm not pining for Jeremy Brett every time he opens his mouth.  Dr. Watson is attractive and supplies the Yang to Sherlock's Yin.  Two of us thought he was Moriarity but one knew he was Mycroft. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #420 on: October 26, 2010, 03:13:57 PM »
Jackie:  Stands on its own so that I'm not pining for Jeremy Brett every time he opens his mouth.

I agree. Probably thats why they did it. I think we should take this as it is, like the "Mrs Sherlock Holmes" mystery stories, and like it for what it is.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had trouble understanding Holmes, but I always have some trouble with British productions. And I notices that, with all the fancy deductions, Holmes was handed the solution on a silver platter. But that's ok.

Frybabe

« Reply #421 on: October 26, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »
My Mom who was born in Wales can never understand British comedy. She isn't too keen most
British productions.

I has to laugh about Holmes and his nicotine patches (instead of drugs). It was even funnier when he compared patches with Lasrade.

Oh yes Mycroft. I waffled a little and then settled on Myroft too.

Babi

« Reply #422 on: October 27, 2010, 08:52:34 AM »
I wouldn't say Holmes was 'handed the solution', JOAN.  He had figured out that the
killer must be a cab driver, and knew it must be the one that was waiting for him.
The cab driver's understanding of Holmes psychological make-up was right on! He knew
Holmes could not resist taking the risk.
  Lestrade is a quite different character, also.  The original was much more discreet about how
much he called on Holmes. This one doesn't care; he wants answers!  Much more likable, IMO.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #423 on: October 27, 2010, 02:51:52 PM »
I kid you not!  I had just remarked to my DH that this actor who was playing Moriarty should playing Mycroft when the actor claimed to be MYCROFT!  Imagine my surprise!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #424 on: October 27, 2010, 11:17:37 PM »
Babi, Jackie and JoanK, I'm glad that we're all able to enjoy the new Sherlock Holmes.

Good sleuthing Frybabe to figure out the "misleading" character was Mycroft. You almost got it too Annie!

JudeS

« Reply #425 on: October 30, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »
I enjoyed the new Sherlock Holmes so much. It had the same spirit of believable yet riduculous fun that the old Dr. Who with Tom Baker had.  This is fiction with a twist of Gilbert and Sullivan. 
I am looking forward to the next chapter and hope the witticisms and fun continue. 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #426 on: October 30, 2010, 03:04:12 PM »
JudeS, that's a great way to look at the new series... "fiction with a twist of Gilbert and Sullivan." I'm looking forward to the next episode tomorrow evening.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #427 on: October 30, 2010, 03:51:55 PM »
"This is fiction with a twist of Gilbert and Sullivan" ;D

JoanR

« Reply #428 on: October 30, 2010, 09:36:01 PM »
This   Sherlock Holmes series is such a joy - makes up for the disappointing Wallander series.  Thank goodness we have the Wallander books so kindly sent by PBS and JoanP.  Wouldn't you suppose that the tv folks would have realized that we would compare the series unfavorably with the books?  A bit of executive blindness there, I think.
I hope that there will be more of the new Sherlock after this set of 3 programs. Watson is great and I know Sherlock talks too fast, but I can live with that.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: October 30, 2010, 10:40:43 PM »
LOL, JoanR. I don't think it's likely that the PBS publicists think that their Wallander series would compare unfavorably with the books. I wonder if they have read the books?

It's great that so many of us are enjoying the new Holmes and Watson.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #430 on: October 31, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »
I'll probably miss the beginning tonight (it wouldn't be Holloween if I didn't go Trick-or-treating with my grandkids). I'm wondering whether to turn it on in the middle or wait til Thursday, when I can see the whole thing.

Babi

« Reply #431 on: November 01, 2010, 08:29:28 AM »
  My daughter and I weren't sure Dr. Watson was the same actor as in the previous episode.
It seems he was, but for some reason looked younger and seemed a weaker personality.  Perhaps this episode was from a different writer. 
  One difference between this series and the original stories:  Conan Doyle would never have
permitted Holmes to fail in keeping that lovely young woman safe.  Less realistic, of course, but
there is something to be said for rescuing the fair damsel.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #432 on: November 01, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »
JoanK, I hope  you enjoyed your Halloween outing. :-) Let us know what you think after you've seen the episode.

Babi, you are right, I had hoped that Sherlock or Watson (who was supposed to stay with the girl!!) would protect her. I guess she had to go since she had been with the "mob."

I like that there is humor in the episodes but it does make for some unevenness in the depiction of the characters. In this episode, anyway, they seemed a bit more like caricatures in some places.

I'm going to have to view the last scene online again. Who was the mob "general" texting with at the end?

JoanR

« Reply #433 on: November 01, 2010, 11:34:14 AM »
I'm still enjoying this series!  I agree that it was sad that the girl wasn't saved, but remember that she had been a traitor to the mob, so she was surely doomed even if Holmes or Watson had managed to save her this time.
Watson probably seems younger in this episode because he is so much more active than in the first when he was limping from his war injury.  There was a pretty speedy recovery back then when he teamed up with Holmes so perhaps his limp was partly psychosomatic!

Frybabe

« Reply #434 on: November 01, 2010, 01:54:54 PM »
There is something missing, so far, in this series - Holmes's use of disguise. I'd like to see Dr. Watson just a tad less inept/clueless. He is supposed to be a war vet. His reaction to having a weapon pointed at his woman friend was a little less than expected. I think he waited a bit too long to make a move once Holmes provided a distraction.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #435 on: November 01, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
I came home about halfway through the episode, and decided not to watch the rest but wait til Thursday. The trick-and-treats with my grandkids was well worth it, though.

Babi

« Reply #436 on: November 02, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
 That was precisely my complaint, FRYBABE.  In the first episode, Watson was not inept or
clueless, and I highly approved the change.  Then in this second episode he was much less
capable and efficient. 
  MARCIE, do you know if the same writer is doing all these stories?  Different writers would
explain the character changes we're noticing. 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: November 03, 2010, 12:13:34 AM »
Babi, I checked the credits on the Sherlock Holmes website at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/index.html and it looks like we've had the same writers for these first two episodes but different directors. That could account for the differences.

Babi

« Reply #438 on: November 03, 2010, 08:15:47 AM »
 Thanks for checking for me, MARCIE.   I'll be interested to see how Dr. Watson fares in the
next episode.

JudeS

« Reply #439 on: November 04, 2010, 01:13:41 AM »
Enjoyed this episode less than the first one.  I hope that the series goes back to its playful self. 
This episode was less successful and rather reminescent of the old Charlie Chan movies with the evil "Orientals".
It really may be the change in director that turned this episode into a bit of a farce.  However I still really like the two characters (and the actors who play them).  A fresh take on an old favorite.