Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010  (Read 102290 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:38:17 AM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2010 brings back favorite sleuths with new episodes. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

A Study in Pink

October 24, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock Holmes teams up with former army doctor John Watson to solve a case of serial suicides and corner a killer who has mysterious powers over his victims.

COMING

The Blind Banker

October 31, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Pursuing the case of a banker and a journalist shot dead by a ghostly assailant, Sherlock and Watson uncover an antiquities-smuggling empire.

The Great Game

November 7, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a gripping match of wits, Sherlock solves crimes at a dizzying pace for a mad bomber who threatens to blow up innocent people.

ALREADY DISCUSSED
List of series and episodes already discussed.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »
A new season of Mystery is starting this Sunday in many areas with our favorite sleuths. It will be interesting to see if the new episodes are up to the high standards that the BBC has set in the past. We'll begin with some new episodes of Foyle's War. You can see preview clips at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/foyleswar/series6.html

EvelynMC

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »
Hi Marcie!

I'll be watching Sunday night and joining the discussion.  I'm looking forward to seeing Foyle again.

Evelyn

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 06:11:08 PM »
Me too.

Aliki

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 10:13:41 PM »
   me too!

Will we still have the previous season's available? There were links to the last couple that I had planned to watch as I had missed them when they were on. I think they were going to run until later in May.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:31:13 AM »
I'm glad that there is a lot of interest.

Aliki, I don't think that PBS makes previous season episodes available online. Maybe they show a previous episode if they include an "encore" episode in the new season. Some public libraries have PBS DVDs available for loan and maybe Netflix or Blockbuster has previous seasons of Foyle's War.

Babi

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »
ALIKI, do you know if 'Rosemary and Thyme' had closed captioning. Most of
the BBC presentations did not, at least in the old video formats.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Aliki

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »
ALIKI, do you know if 'Rosemary and Thyme' had closed captioning. Most of
the BBC presentations did not, at least in the old video formats.

BABI, I haven't looked for it as my DVD player is kaput and I have to watch my DVDs at my computer which doesn't necessitate my being extra quiet at night.

I do know that the very few foreign DVD's I've tried with English captioning didn't work very well.

I have a new DVD (Inspector Lewis) due at beginning of this week--I'll check it out.

aliki

nlhome

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:21:03 PM »
I hope to view these, too.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 12:13:04 AM »
Great, nlhome. I'm glad you'll be joining us.

I feel funny admitting this but I don't think I've ever seen a Foyle's War episode. I've seen most or all of the Miss Marple, Poirot and Inspector Lewis episodes but not Foyle's War. I hope that I can jump into this season without any background. I'm sure you all will fill me in on anything I need to know.

Babi

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
 Thank you, ALIKI.  It's always disappointing if I wait for a DVD, only to discover I can't follow
the story.

Did someone say the 'Foyle's War' series starting tonight is new?  I didn't think they had made
any more, and I saw all the old ones.  It seems to me I recall one about an escaped Russian
soldier.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »
Babi, the schedule says it is new but it sure sounds like the one you saw. Maybe they re-edited the old one, remade it,  or someone goofed in the listing.

EvelynMC

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 12:28:24 AM »
I enjoyed "Foyle's War" tonight. --- Sam is looking older, that's okay, but what's with her makeup?  Her skin had a grey tone to it, almost like she just finished reading the newspaper and had ink on her upper lip and chin. I always like to watch those PBS episodes again on my computer if I have time, and I will definitely be looking at her skin tones again.  Before she always had that great English "peaches and cream" complexion.

It was a good story, very well acted, cohesive.  I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next two episodes.

Evelyn

Babi

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 08:14:06 AM »
  Well, my TV Guide  describes them as a 'sixth season'. Which would be useful if I had any idea
whether the last group was the fifth or sixth.   At any rate, I've recorded the first episode and
will find out today whether I've seen them before or not.

Frybabe

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 09:10:33 AM »
I started to watch Foyle's War last night but gave up after about an half an hour. It was moving a little to slow for me. I might try again to watch it online later.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 02:44:01 PM »
I enjoyed the Foyle's War last night, but I got a little confused towards the end--my husband had to explain that part with the assassin.  I got two of the characters mixed up as they looked similar to me and had the wrong person marked as the assassin.

nlhome

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 04:23:22 PM »
I started watching last night, but I was so tired from grandchild and garden that I knew I wouldn't last. Hope to watch it on line later also.

Babi

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 08:27:41 AM »
  I watched the new Foyle's War and was pleased to find the old fellow in such good style. A litle puzzled by the numerous references to his being married.  He has long been a widower, right?, and there has been not mention of a new wife.
  What really surprised me, tho', was Milner's behavior.  I thought he and Foyle were on the best
of terms, but he acted as though Foyle had greatly offended him.  Can anyone tell me what
that was about?

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 11:16:03 AM »
I believe it is the first time I have heard of the Russians killing their returning war prisoners who had fought with the Germans.
Yes, Milner's behavior was strange and without explanation.
I thought Foyle's wife had died.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 01:24:07 AM »
I really like the Foyle character. He's very understated but sure of himself.

I don't know the background but it sounded like Foyle and the Brigadier who first put him on the case could have been talking about his marriage in the past. Did the Brigadier know Foyle from WWI?

Babi

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 08:34:59 AM »
  I think it must have been a reference to a deceased wife, MARCIE, but as it came up at least
three times I couldn't help thinking it must be significant.  I kept waiting to meet a new wife, but
of course none appeared.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:19 AM »
Yes, Babi, it does seem odd that his marriage would be mentioned that many times.

salan

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 06:44:31 AM »
Watched "Foyle's War"  last night.  I was disappointed in it.  It was worth watching because of the acting and still so much better than most of what is on tv, but......
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 08:21:28 AM »
I just can't get into Foyle. This is the second one I started to watch and gave up on.

Babi

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 08:27:53 AM »
 Recorded 'Foyle's War' last night while we watched "Avatar".   Remarkable, beautiful film.
I'll have time to see the Foyle episode today; looking forward to it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:51 PM »
I enjoyed the "Foyle's War" last night. It had the same theme as one of the recent Masterpiece shows: might have been more effective if they'd aired them further apart. And I'm not clear how Foyle solved the crimes. And the solution followed a pattern from earlier shows.

In spite of those flaws, I liked it. I'm willing to watch Kitchener and Weeks in almost anything.

They seem to have got rid of Milner.

Babi

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 08:27:18 AM »
 JOANK, I think Foyle is simply never one to accept the first 'solution' that pops up, simply to
get the case off the books.  He is very observant of relationships, both good and bad, and
takes them into consideration.  I was surprised when the murderer was exposed; I had stopped
one man short.  I won't be more specific, just in case someone has not yet watched it.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »
I watched  the  two episodes of Foyle's War that have recently been shown.  I enjoyed them very much.  The acting is really outstanding.

I particularly enjoyed the scenery in Hastings as my late husband visited the area on our last trip to England before his death which was 7 years ago.. I cannot believe that it has been that long.  I have been back to London since but not to the Hastings area.

I am looking forward to the third episode.  I had been looking all over SeniorLearn for this discussion.  I just now found it.  I guess I do not come in to SeniorLearn the best way to find things because I find it extremely hard to navigate.Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 11:27:23 AM »
I plan on watching the second episode today. Thanks for not giving anything away yet ;-)

Joan, is it difficult to find the discussion you are looking for if you click Discussion Index on the blue bar below the "news" announcements at the top of the discussion pages?  I usually click "SHOW NEW REPLIES" to find discussions in which I have posted.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 01:07:49 PM »
I watched the second episode and found it very disturbing. I was very anxious throughout much of it, worrying about what was going to happen to Mandy (the young mother) and, especially to Gabe (the black GI). I had thought that the murder was going to be of Gabe. I thought that the episode was well-done and that the actors were very good.

There seems to be a possible romance budding between Samantha and Adam. I wonder if that will continue.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »
That is exactly what I had thought was going to happen Marcie...I just knew that someone was going to murder Gabe...So it surprised me in that way...I thought it was very well done..   The acting was very good.Joan Grimes

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 09:14:33 AM »
In earlier episodes Sam and Foyle's son were involved.  When he went to Scotland he broke up with her and then later they got back together again.  Now they only mention that he has a son.  I wonder what happened with that?  I think I've seen all of the series up to now but have I missed something?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 11:15:59 AM »
Flajean, I wondered about Sam and Foyle's son also.  I think I've seen all the Foyle's War shows starting with series 1.  My library has them all, also, so I can easily do repeats.  I haven't watched the Russian soldier episode yet -- it's in the middle of the tape, somewhere, but I think it's the last of series 5.

I taped the one about the African American soldiers and watched it last night.  It was very disturbing, especially the attitudes of the white U.S. soldiers and their treatment of the African Americans.  I know it was from a different era, but it was still horrible.

Aliki

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 09:03:54 AM »
Sorry I haven't been actively participating in last couple of PBS books/programs. You see, they are poorly timed what with the Sports Finals taking more time and energy I can bear and I don't have anything to record one show and watch another and--well--a gal's got to have her priorities, no matter if within a group she is marching to a 'different drummer.'  8)  ;)

I love reading the posts and will be getting the stories and catching up during the summer with books and films from library and/or Netflix.

aliki

Frybabe

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 09:52:25 AM »
Finally, a Foyle I liked.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 11:17:03 AM »
I thought the third Foyle was the best of the three in this particular series.  I hope things work out for Sam.  The next series Foyle series will be interesting if they continue.  Remember when the American industrialist committed murder and the British government let him go because he was helping the war?  Well, Foyle promised he wouldn't forget and it sounds like he is going to America to fulfill his promise.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 03:01:05 PM »
I thought this episode was the best of this series of Foyle's War. As always the acting was superb, the senery was gorgeous...I really did enjoy it...Foyle is really a very complicated person...I hope there will be more Foyle....Joan Grimes

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 03:59:46 PM »
Aliki: you are not alone: I'm an incredible sports junkie. Luckily, my team lost early in ice hockey, and I'm not hooked on soccer, but my team's still in it in basketball, and getting hot in baseball. And the French Open in tennis is coming up.

Let's see-- what have I forgotten? Oh, yes, the hot sport in my neighborhood (Southern California) is beach volleyball. The tournaments, broadcast every week, will start soon. And I don't know when the British Open golf tournament is, but it can't be too long-- anyway, you get the idea.

But I'm not a sports addict -- I can stop any time I want. I'd hate to give up curling, though!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2010, 04:17:56 PM »
I am an Alabama Football Fan and also Alabama Basket Ball Fan...Have been known to watch Alabama baseball and softball...Love all that...Joan Grimes

Babi

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 08:39:16 AM »
 ALIKI, I've been wanting to ask you something.  You have an unusual name.
Are you by any chance the "Aliki" that writes children's books?  I run
across the name while checking in books at my library and. of course, it
reminds me of you.