Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010  (Read 102282 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2010, 05:33:39 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2010 brings back favorite sleuths with new episodes. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

A Study in Pink

October 24, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock Holmes teams up with former army doctor John Watson to solve a case of serial suicides and corner a killer who has mysterious powers over his victims.

COMING

The Blind Banker

October 31, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Pursuing the case of a banker and a journalist shot dead by a ghostly assailant, Sherlock and Watson uncover an antiquities-smuggling empire.

The Great Game

November 7, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a gripping match of wits, Sherlock solves crimes at a dizzying pace for a mad bomber who threatens to blow up innocent people.

ALREADY DISCUSSED
List of series and episodes already discussed.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »
We've got two new Miss Marple's for the next two Sundays. See the heading above. I hope that everyone's local PBS stations will be showing them.

Frybabe

« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2010, 06:04:09 PM »
I watched Murder is Easy on the net a few days ago. I liked it better this time than when I saw it when it was first on. I don't think I've ever seen the next two. At least, I don't recognized the names. It will be nice to see a little more of Edward Fox again.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2010, 11:01:30 PM »
I'm glad that Murder is Easy improved on second viewing for you, Frybabe. It's available online until June 27 for anyone who want to check it out.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2010, 02:30:59 PM »
I was off for a few days so I've yet to watch the online version of  The Secret of Chimneys. I'd better do that before the next Miss Marple this Sunday!

We've got great news from PBS. We're going to be celebrating Agatha Christie's 120th birthday with them as they unveil a new adaptation of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. There is a link at the top of our heading (at the top of this discussion) to details. SeniorLearn benefits by receiving free copies of the book. We'll be talking about the book and TV version and a special with David Suchet as he travels the Orient Express. Email jonkie@verizon.net with your name and mailing address to reserve your copy of the book for only the cost of the postage!

Frybabe

« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Oh, that's right. I watched "Chimneys" on Sunday. I liked it a lot.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »
I just finished watching Chimneys. Frybabe, I also liked it. It had a complex plot with a lot of red herrings but I enjoyed it. I thought the actors were all very good.

Frybabe

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2010, 05:00:06 PM »
I certainly couldn't guess who the killer was. Were you surprised? I was.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2010, 05:31:43 PM »
Come July, PBS is celebrating A Christie's 120 birthday - with PRESENTS for all -

We know you have seen film productions of "Murder on the Orient Express" - but how many have actually read the book?  If you are interested in receiving a free copy of the book (except for some postage), please email me your full name and mailing address and I'll get it off to you as long as the supply lasts.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
Frybabe, yes I was surprised at the killer. Chimneys had me guessing until nearly the end.

Joan, I've never read "Murder on the Orient Express." I'd love a copy of the book. I'll email you my info. It should be fun to read it for Agatha Christie's 120th anniversary in conjunction with the new PBS adaptation. I've seen several tv movie versions (or seen an older one several times) but I happily don't remember who did it.

Babi

« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
 My local station is apparently back on-line with the Marple mysteries and has "Blue Geranium" scheduled for tonight.  I don't recall that one at all.
 I'm puzzled by the dates for the shows.  Tonight is June 27; next Sunday would be July 4th, would it not?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
I'm glad Miss Marple is back for you, Babi. The David Suchet special is going to be on a Wednesday, July 7. I guess they are taking July 4th off for other programming.

nlhome

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2010, 03:19:51 PM »
I watched The Secret of Chimneys last evening and enjoyed it. I'd read the book long ago. I thought the production was fine. I hope to watch the next one tonight on TV.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
I hadn't read or seen an adaptation of "Chimneys" and enjoyed it.  My husband guessed the killer half way through but I didn't believe him. >:(  Looking forward to tonight's Miss Marple.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2010, 09:49:52 PM »
nlhome and FlaJean, it seems that all of us who watched the Chimneys enjoyed it. FlaJean, your husband is a good detective. Let's see how he does with tonight's episode ;-)

Babi

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2010, 09:20:18 AM »
  The "Blue Geranium" did not sound familiar to me, but as soon as I realized it referred to the
flower changing color on the wallpaper, I remembered the story.  But not how it came out,
thankfully, so I still enjoyed the 'who-dun-it' part of the story.
   I find this version of Miss Marple a little too vigorous and robustly healthy.  Not that the original Miss Marple wasn't in good health, but she seemed from her description to be somewhat more physically delicate and fragile.  Isn't that how she seemed to you?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2010, 11:45:09 AM »
The beginning of The Blue Geranium looked very, very familiar - but not the rest of it. I liked the story well enough, although I thought Miss Marple was unusually "aggressive" in her approach.

Babi

« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2010, 08:56:20 AM »
 Well, since the wrong man was scheduled to die,  I can understand the
need to be aggressive.  There wasn't much time.  I was surprised, in
Chimneys, that she was not more upset and saddened to find the murderer was a long-time acquaintance and the husband of a dear friend.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »
Here we have to wait until Sunday, July 11 for Murder on the Orient Express.  I love the movie, but have never read the book, so that will be fun.

I guess I missed out on Murder is Easy, but have taped Chimneys and Blue Geranium to watch at leisure.  That latter title is unfamiliar to me.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
I haven't watched Geranium but will this week.  The special about the Orient Express with David Suchet will show next Wednesday, July 7. The Christie "Murder on the Orient Express" will show on Sunday, July 11.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2010, 08:10:26 PM »
I enjoyed both "Chimneys" and "Geranium". Funny, I know I've read "Chimneys", but didn't recognize the plot at all. Did they change it around a lot?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2010, 12:58:30 AM »
JoanK, I haven't read "Chimneys" so can't help with that question. I just watched "Geranium" and found it as interesting as "Chimneys." I too think these last two Miss Marple's were very good. I wonder if PBS had gotten feedback about some of the previous ones (ones that most of us here on SeniorLearn found some fault with).

Babi

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2010, 08:27:59 AM »
 Ah, I see now.  This Sunday is July 4th, and of course PBS will be featuring the Capitol celebration.  I think I have seen the David Suchet
film before.  That is a repeat, isn't it?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »
Babi, it sounds from the article at http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/may/21/david-suchet-orient-express-documentary-itv that Suchet was just beginning to film the Orient Express special in May 2009. It seems like it may be making its premier this July.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2010, 03:59:01 PM »
From the preview Sunday night I think David Suchet looks much older than he did in the previous series several years ago, so I believe this must be a new production.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2010, 04:04:11 PM »
Suchet does look older as himself, with his thinning grey hair. Let's see how he looks as Poirot with dark moustache and dark slicked-back hair :-)

mrssherlock

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »
mark
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
Good to have another mystery fan join us, mrssherlock!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2010, 04:43:09 PM »
Please forgive me for running this PBS promotion again, but the programming is scheduled to begin in a little over a week, and I have many FREE copies of Agatha Christie's book to give away.  Can't figure out what to do with the extras.  Can you think of anyone who might like to receive a copy?

Come July, PBS is celebrating A Christie's 120 birthday - with PRESENTS for all -

We know you have seen film productions of "Murder on the Orient Express" - but how many have actually read the book?  If you are interested in receiving a free copy of the book (except for some postage), please email me your full name and mailing address and I'll get it off to you as long as the supply lasts.  My email address is jonkie@verizon.net.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2010, 06:57:50 PM »
Thanks, Joan, for mailing me a copy of the book. The postage from Virginia to California was just a little over $2.00 so the book was inexpensive. If someone wants to request a copy for a friend too, you could probably mail two or more copies of the book inexpensively.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2010, 06:26:38 PM »
Here’s David Suchet without the mustache and looking most unpoirotish.

C'est Poirot?

So is the actual Christie film a NEW one by PBS, or the 1974 film with Albert Finney as Poirot and a host of several other magnificent stars?

I’m reading the book, received last week from JoanP and am really caught up in it.  I hope I can finish it before Sunday night.  I wonder if this film will show how Poirot uses part of a hatbox to decipher some burned scraps of paper.  It’s in the book (early on) and I can’t visualize it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2010, 06:34:17 PM »
Pedln, thanks for the link. We'll see David Suchet sans mustache tonight in the special about the famous train. He doesn't look like Poirot, does he?

Sunday we'll see a NEW PBS version of MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS with Suchet playing Poirot.

mrssherlock

« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2010, 01:00:50 PM »
What a treat to journey with David Suchet on the Orient Express. 
http://www.orient-express.com/web/vsoe/venice_simplon_orient_express.jsp
When I win the Lottery I'll take one of those forays into the past . . .
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2010, 02:47:15 PM »
I don't know if the orient express is running now or not. It seems to be off and on.

I rode the Orient Express in 1964(?) from Geneva to outside Athens. You had to be sure to get on the right car, or you would wind up in Belgrade, or Rome or somewhere else. Unfortunately, all the glamour is in first class and we rode tourist, with the women with the chickens, and the toilets that didn't flush for two days.

They had little compartments that hold about six or eight people, like you see in British mysteries. We were the only Americans, but the others managed to communicate with us. I'll never forget when we went through then Yugoslavia, how nice and friendly the Yugoslovians were. I couldn't believe what happened there later.

It was January, and there was snow outside. When we got to the border, everyone had to get off the train while they searched it. Everyone but us! At the time, I think Tito wanted good relationswith the US. So my husband and I sat on the train warm and toasty, while everyone else stood on the freezing platform for hours and glared at us. When our compartmentmates got back on board, we apologized, and I gave my coat to cover a woman who was shaking from the cold. Peace was restored.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2010, 02:55:17 PM »
My local station is running the special on the Orient Express tonight at 9.

Frybabe

« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »
That is really interesting JoanK.

Here's their web-site for anyone who cares (and can afford it). Be sure to check out the history pages. Click on "The train" and then scroll down and click on "History".

http://www.orient-express.com/web/vsoe/venice_simplon_orient_express.jsp

mrssherlock

« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »
There are excursions scheduled for Sept and Oct this year; approx $5300 each one way.
Jackie

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »
Let's figure out how we can get a good deal on that train!  JoanK, what a wonderful memory you have - chickens or no.  You are one of the lucky ones!

I stopped in this evening to let you know that all of the copied of Murder on the Orient Express which PBS was so kind to send us - are gone.  Hopefully you will all have your copies of the book before the weekend.  Thanks, PBS!

Babi

« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »
I enjoyed your little story about riding the Orient Express, JOAN. A
very different picture in the tourist class, but a chance to meet
nice people.

JOANP, did you get the personal message I sent you?  The e-mail I
tried to send came back; something about Verizon not responding for
too long.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2010, 03:13:09 PM »
I enjoyed the special on the Orient Express. I wish it was longer. The information about the train was interesting and we got to see a little of the six countries that it passed through. Suchet was a charming host. It was fun to see him "drive" one of the engines by pushing some buttons on a console. I'm looking forward to the mystery on Sunday.