Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010  (Read 102284 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2010
« Reply #440 on: November 04, 2010, 07:26:56 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2010 brings back favorite sleuths with new episodes. See the complete 2010 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule.  

NOW DISCUSSING

The Great Game

November 7, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
In a gripping match of wits, Sherlock solves crimes at a dizzying pace for a mad bomber who threatens to blow up innocent people. Watch the episode online through December 7 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/watch.html

ALREADY DISCUSSED

The Blind Banker

October 31, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Pursuing the case of a banker and a journalist shot dead by a ghostly assailant, Sherlock and Watson uncover an antiquities-smuggling empire. Watch the episode online through December 7 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/watch.html

A Study in Pink

October 24, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Sherlock Holmes teams up with former army doctor John Watson to solve a case of serial suicides and corner a killer who has mysterious powers over his victims. Watch the episode online through December 7 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/watch.html

List of other series and episodes already discussed.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Today is the day I get to hear it. Looking forward to it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #441 on: November 04, 2010, 08:24:25 PM »
Great, JoanK. Let us know what you think of the episode.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #442 on: November 06, 2010, 02:14:57 PM »
Like the rest of you, I was disappointed. I liked the extravegant settings, but it was more ordinary than the first.

However, it was certainly worth watching.

Frybabe

« Reply #443 on: November 06, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
Another thing I did not notice in the first two episodes. Watson, what is he a Dr. of in this series? He hasn't done any medical doctorly things or even mentioned medicine that I recall.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #444 on: November 07, 2010, 12:05:04 AM »
Frybabe, Didn't Watson try to get a part time job at some type of medical clinic in the first series. He fell asleep and the woman supervisor saw a bunch of the patients. They didn't really show any medical equipment. He was sitting at a desk but I assumed it was a medical clinic.

In that episode, when Holmes saw Watson in a morgue, didn't he deduce that Watson was an army medical doctor?  You're right, though, that Holmes doesn't ask Watson to do much medical sleuthing on any of the victims.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #445 on: November 07, 2010, 12:29:38 AM »
I think that one of you mentioned before that there is some video  Q&A with the creators/writers of this Sherlock Holmes program on the PBS site. It's at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/producers.html.

Live chat with Sherlock co-creators and writers Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 1:00 pm (Eastern time).
The writers also will participate in a live chat on this Monday at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/chat.html.

If you can't participate but want to be included, find Masterpiece on Facebook and Twitter and post your questions before the chat.

Frybabe

« Reply #446 on: November 07, 2010, 08:09:24 AM »
Ah yes, Marcie. I forgot. Should have remembered that.

Frybabe

« Reply #447 on: November 08, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »
I liked this last one. Sherlock made a minor attempt at disguise. I never guessed at Moriarity. The ending was interesting - leave us hanging.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: November 08, 2010, 10:39:16 PM »
Frybabe, wow, what an ending. I didn't expect a cliff hanger. We have to wait until next year to see what happens!!

I felt that something was fishy with the guy in the lab but I didn't expect him to be who he turned out to be. Holmes has met his match.

At the end, I didn't get how the red laser dots were targeting Holmes and Watson in the swimming pool building? I thought that one of them was going to jump in the pool to escape.  :) Maybe in the follow up episode.

Babi

« Reply #449 on: November 09, 2010, 08:15:58 AM »
 MARCIE,  I suppose Moriarty had two hirelings in the building with rifles, ready to do his bidding.
I thought of jumping in the pool, too, though I wasn't sure that would keep the bomb from killing John.  And of course jumping in the pool wouldn't resolve anything where the guns were concerned.
  I'm not sure how threatening Moriarty with the bomb is more effective than pointing a gun at
his head; it's still a stand-off.  Or maybe the bomb is powerful enough to take out the riflemen,
too, so they will skedaddle. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #450 on: November 09, 2010, 11:38:38 AM »
You could be right, Babi, about other people helping Moriarty. We'll see if the next episode (next year!) takes off from where we were left.

MaryPage

« Reply #451 on: November 09, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »
I am so disappointed not to have known about this site until this very day.  Have been an avid fan of Masterpiece Theatre and then Masterpiece Mystery and Classic and so forth, from the git go.

Thought I would hate a "modern" Sherlock Holmes.  I do love my Arthur Conan Doyle and am extremely finicky about my Sherlocks.  Loved some, but have hated most.

But saw that Rupert Graves plays the Inspector.  I am a huge fan of his from his being John Forsyte.  Well, I have fallen big time for this Sherlock.  And yes, Watson is a real life, bona fide doctor.  He had just gotten home from the war in Iraq when he teamed up with Holmes.

The whole thing is a silly romp of a present-time gag take-off on the real books;  and I find it a hoot.  I sit and hug myself and howl with amusement.  They are doing a most clever job of it.

And Graves is still, sigh, quite a divine creature.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #452 on: November 09, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »
MARY, HI. Well, if Sherlock meets your standards, he is really good! Sherlock and Watson really do look like what a modern version would be, don't they. Are there parallels with the books that we aren't seeing?

I have to admit, the ending confused me. I didn't really understand what was happening. After reading the posts, it's much clearer to me.

How many stories is Moriarty in in the original?  Are we supposed to assume that it was him in the LAST episode, killing off the carnival performer?

MaryPage

« Reply #453 on: November 09, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
Arthur Conan Doyle wrote a Sherlock Holmes story titled "A Study in Scarlet."  We have just had "A Study in Pink."

So watch and compare the titles.  Then compare what the characters do and say and the general outline of the stories.

In this modern day London collection of tales, much has been copied in an extremely updated fashion.  These are the things I find so delicious:  the original successfully altered in a hilarious way.

Tickles my fancy, it does.  I find it brilliant!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: November 10, 2010, 01:16:45 AM »
JoanK, I'll have to review that episode and the carnival performer. I'm not sure if Moriarty was involved in that one.

MaryPage, I'm so glad you've joined us. I believe that there will be more of our modern duo in the future from PBS. It's good that you are familiar enough with the original to make the comparisons with the new.

JudeS

« Reply #455 on: November 10, 2010, 07:47:32 PM »
Oh my, what fun!
This whole episode is such a mishmash and moves so fast that it was hard to keep up. Things moved at such a fast pace that it left no room to contenplate on what was happening. You just had to run along and be dazzled by all the goings on. It had the pace of a video game. Perhaps that was the point. And, of course, to introduce us to the modern Moriarty.  All the characters are before us and we have to wait for the next episode.
If someone were to ask me to do a synopsis all I could say is ,Sherlock meets his arch enemy and the new-old feud continues.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #456 on: November 10, 2010, 09:06:05 PM »
Jude, LOL, that's a very good summary.  ;)  I agree that it was very fast-paced. I couldn't catch every word.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #457 on: November 10, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »
We've set up a discussion for the next PBS series, MASTERPIECE CONTEMPORARY, which will start on November 21. The discussion is at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1922.0

Babi

« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2010, 08:08:38 AM »
 Thanks for the 'forecast', MARCIE.  My PBS on-line site has changed it's format, and I am having
no luck at all finding a simple schedule of programming for upcoming shows. So aggravating!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #459 on: November 11, 2010, 03:28:16 PM »
MARCIE: "I'll have to review that episode and the carnival performer. I'm not sure if Moriarty was involved in that one."

The last scene in that one, we see the evil carnival woman talking to someone offscreen, apologizing to them for failure, and saying that she would never tell anyone about it. A sinister voice says "I know you won't" and the screen goes black, implying that "sinister voice" has killed her. It is "sinister voice" that I am assuming was Moriarty.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #460 on: November 11, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »
Oh, yes, JoanK, now I remember the ending. Hmmm, I guess it could have been Moriarty!

Everyone, please join us for the next PBS series, MASTERPIECE CONTEMPORARY, which will start on November 21. The discussion is at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1922.0