Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Talking Heads ~ A Duty to Die?

(1/21) > >>

ginny:
Talking Heads #9
"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A two week  forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online: bring your ideas and let's discuss.
Our Ninth  Selection is: A Duty to Die

Is this what we've come to now?

Don't miss this very  provocative article titled  Higher Ed Can Lead to Lower  Values  in the  Columbus Dispatch on May 14, 2010,

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/editorials/stories/2010/05/14/higher-ed-can-lead-to-lower-values.html

and let's talk about some of these issues,  because there's a LOT here he covers, including escalating solutions for the elder generation, education, the virtues of poverty and a lot more!

Let's discuss!.

ginny:
I guess of all the topics we've covered, this is probably the most controversial.

And this article hits all the buttons: education, the value of poverty and the lack of education, and what we heard in the arguments about health care reform early on: stay healthy or die.

Probably one of the most provocative articles ever written, what's YOUR take on it?

The floor is now open for your opinions!

mrssherlock:
My family recently suffered a medical emergency when my sister's nose started hemorrhaging and she was unable to stop the bleeding.  On the way to the ER the EMTs found no BP and no pulse due to the rapid loss of blood. She said that she was prepared to die, it would be just a very long nap to her. She has survived but it was quite a scare.  She and I were discussing the potential effect that the age of the patient may have on the medical care provided.  She is 73 and I am 75.  As I told her, it isn't if it's when.

Ella Gibbons:
YEs, an interesting article!  It WOULD BE better for society if all people - let's say - at the age of 75 just died.  Easier on Medicare, doctors, families, etc.  There would be money in Social Security for those just getting to the age.

How to accomplish this??   Hahahaaaa  

Throw Grandma from the train, comes to mind.  

I know, when the "talking heads" on TV were discussing the health care bill that has now passed into law, they hinted there was language in it that perceived the elderly as excess baggage and prohibited care for them.

Did the rest of you hear any talk like that?

Has Congress read the entire Healthcare bill yet?  I understand it is pages and pages long!

It's probably hidden in there someplace, but I do believe there is a difference in doctor's attitudes since the bill was passed.

maryz:
Good topic.

Ella, we all heard the talk about the so-called "death panels", which never existed and were never proposed.  Anyhow, I'll be reading the article, and coming back in to talk. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version