General Book Discussions & More > SeniorLearn's Soiree in New York City!

Soiree in New York City: A Retrospective: Come share the adventures!

(1/115) > >>

ginny:

September 8-12, 2010
Everyone is invited!   

Autumn in New York, (are you singing?) What could be finer?

Based on the resounding success of our 10th Anniversary Gathering in NYC in 2008, we thought we'd try it again!~

Our Hotel: The Leo House:  "The Little Heart in the  Big City," with the best rates you'll find anywhere.

Hotel Information and Rates

Garden at the Leo House

If you are a Latin student, come meet some of  your classmates, for a fun filled day or  weekend:

Classics Students at the Met, NYC 2008

Tentative Schedule:

Here's a loose schedule for Sept 8th thru Sept 12th:

Sept 8th-Day 1--Contact: Ann [/email] for details. Ann  plans for us to meet at the Fraunces Tavern Museum at 3pm.  When the museum closes at 5pm, meet downstairs in the Fraunces Tavern for drinks and dinner.   This is where George Washington and his generals met after or during the Revolution.  http://www.frauncestavernmuseum.org/

Sept 9th thru Sept 12:

Day 2--LucyLibr--plans a cruise on the Hudson. Contact: Lucy [/email] for details.

Day3--Alf is planning a Surprise!  Contact: Andrea  [/email] for details.

Day 4--Pedl'n plans a day at the newest NYC park, the High Line.    http://www.thehighline.org/ Contact: Pedln [/email] for details.

Day 5- Ginny will plan something at the Met and a luncheon for the Latin students, everyone is invited, just like last time.  Contact: ginny [/email] for details.

Day 6-: Travel Day: Monday the 13th: Departure

Other possible venues include:  a day at the   Botanical Gardens or a history tour of NYC environs.  A Broadway Show, opera, concert, tea at the Plaza, the Algonquin (home of the RoundTable) etc., etc., etc.
New!!

to our First Ever Author Tea at Sarabeth's on Central Park between 5th and 6th Avenue:  This is our room!
Join us on September 11 in this award winning restaurant looking out on the Park for one of their famous Teas, at less than half price, $10 only, no tax, and enjoy meeting our authors, Bruce Frankel,  and Maryann McFadden:

"I can think of no writer I'd rather have sing me songs of the sea, even sad ones, than Maryann McFadden."---Anne Rivers Siddons

Bruce Frankel’s book, What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life is inspirational!  "This upbeat, inspiring, timely book shows how taking a risk and fighting to find a passionate career — at any age — can reinvigorate your life...”— Susan Shapiro Contact: Ann today to secure your place at the table!  We have only a few seats left!~  Don't miss this one!!

See information about reservations at the LEO HOUSE. Deadline to reserve your accommodations is June 15!

Questions about the gathering? Contact: Ann

As a New Yorker would say, "What's not to like?" 

Join us if you can, you'll never forget it!

Sign in here and help us plan what you want to see and do!

ANNIE:
Thanks, Ginny, for putting this wonderful site together.  You did a great job.

ginny:
I'm glad it suits and it can be changed at a moment's notice to accommodate everybody.  You and your team have it wonderfully organized already!

I'm getting a lot of people writing about accommodations and even tho this is short notice (I love spur of the moment things, just get up and GO!)  it appears we'll  have a great group, so come one, come all, and let's plan our time.

Come, Readers, come, Latin Students, come, anybody on SeniorLearn. This is a spur of the moment sort of informal weekend in NYC. We'll start planning a major Bookfest for 2011 when we get back; this one is a mini break in the city which never sleeps and is ready and waiting for us.

I love planning a trip. You get two trips, the one you planned and the one it turns into. Often nothing like each other. hahaha

But the greatest city in the world is more than ready for us. NYC here we COME!

ALF43:
Here we come, indeed!  Who else will join us?  We have so many wonderful people at SeniorLearn that I am just dying to meet.  How can we tell you how wonderful it is to be able to share memories, stories and conversation with another "bookie?"
It brings us all (who share secrets online that we would never tell another soul) so much clooser.
Please think about it and let us know that you can come and join us for a few days.

pedln:
I'm really excited about getting together -- our past "soirees" have been so terrific.

About the schedule  -- the dinner at the Fraunces is really an event, something that no one will want to miss.  Might we want to consider another day other than our arrival day -- some folks might not arrive in time.

Two suggestions here -- 1.  Highline Park is certainly not an all day, not even an all afternoon, event -- that would be a light day and would be a good time for a meal at the Fraunces.

2.  The Circle Cruise around Manhattan starts and finishes downtown --- I think??  Unless we're all totally zapped by the fresh air dinner that night might also be a possibility.

We're currently talking 5 nights at Leo House.  Some might be reluctant to add another night for the sake of dinner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version