Author Topic: Soiree in New York City: A Retrospective: Come share the adventures!  (Read 133531 times)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Soiree in New York City: A Retrospective: Come share the adventures!
« Reply #560 on: November 14, 2010, 12:29:30 PM »

September 8-12, 2010
We Came, We Saw, We Conquered! We're BAACK!   

Author's Tea at Sarabeth's on Central Park South:

Front row, seated: Authors Bruce Frankel and Maryann McFadden
Left to right (scroll sideways  to see everybody)
:
Mary, Tom (Maryann's friend), Eloise, Judy's friend Liz, Joan R, Zulema, Pedln (hiding), Ann, Judy (Pedln's daughter) Andrea, Meghan (Joan R's daughter) Gay, Lucy's friend, Vivian,, Deb (Maryann's friend), Lucy, Ginny. Not shown: Patrick, Maryann's husband.

Morning at the Met: at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's American Wing

Left to right: Lucy Ginny, Mary (in back) Zulema, Andrea (ALF), Ann, Vivian, Meghan (JoanR's daughter), Eloise, Joan R, Gay (Bow Belle), Pedln.

Me,too, Ginny.  I was telling Ella about the honor the NYC Museum is giving him next week and wishing we could be there.  She and I both met him last spring when he spoke at a gathering of one community who had featured the reading of all his books for a year.  He did a nice and interesting speech about his life and his writing.  I really liked "Forever".  He's is a super writer and I r learned much history unknownst to me before picking up that book . And he loves his NYC as much as we do. 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #561 on: December 16, 2010, 02:47:50 PM »
Here's another  interesting thing. I recently got one of the two books actually titled 97 Orchard. This one is about an Edible History of Five Immigrant Families  in one New York tenement, and is connected with the Tenement House but it's a lot more.

In it we read about the Kosher food crisis at Ellis Island, and it was one. It includes the menus in the new Kosher kitchen there from 1914 and they are the earliest on record.

The young woman who wrote the book, Jane Ziegelman, is the new director of the  "forthcoming program" of the new culinary program at the  Tenement Museum." The cover shows two children holding bread loaves, one a ring, which are bigger than they are. I think this book will be marvelous and we MIGHT want to follow up some of the culinary leads on our text trip back to NYC (we ARE going back, right?) I mean it's a foodie paradise.

The book is full of recipes, very old ones. I say we should make this a focus for a new trip and each try one which suits us. I HOPE there's one for chopped chicken livers, have almost given up in getting good ones. I do see one for Cranberry  Strudel, which actually looks super (what should we substitute for the "glass of fat?").  It might be the MOST fun to read this, try these old  recipes, visit the  Tenement Museum and see what their Culinary program is, and just...nosh our way thru NYC in 2011. We just missed the giant food expo there with all the famous  TV chefs, maybe we could plan it to coincide next time?

Those of you who enjoyed Bruce Frankel, don't forget to write a short review of his book on Amazon, that's a nice way of paying him back for his lovely speech and that goes for MaryAlice too.

Happy Holidays!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #562 on: December 31, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
Ginny, 97 Orchard is on my Amazon Wish List.  I may have to break down and order the hard copy.

You may not want to try everything  in this article, but there are some great ideas.  I never knew that most of the NY museums offer "pay what you wish" admissions during certain times of the week.

A New York City Weekend for $100

After that we took a walking tour led by the Lower East Side Business Improvement District’s excellent podcast. (The organization offers free tours led by live guides April through November.)

We quite enjoyed our disembodied female narrator as she talked about the architectural details of surprisingly ornate tenements; told us the story of Sender Jarmulowsky, a Russian banker whose name still adorns his 12-story bank building at Canal and Orchard; and even led us to the chic Roasting Plant coffee shop.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #563 on: January 01, 2011, 10:34:16 PM »
I would bet that we (SL traveling DL's) could do that, Pedl'n!  We have learned of a few places where one does't need to spend one's inheritance to enjoy NYC.  It certainly helps when one can travel with friends as we did in NYC!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #564 on: January 02, 2011, 07:45:49 AM »
OH wow wow, I agree, Ann, we really do it right and Pedln, just reading that makes me want to pack a bag!

And guess what ELSE? Pompeii is coming!! Yes yes just take a LOOK!

http://www.discoverytsx.com/pompeii

"Extraordinary, unforgettable," is the way the presentations at the Discovery Expo are termed,  and...world premiere of this traveling exhibit, begins in March!

ALF43

« Reply #565 on: January 02, 2011, 09:21:04 AM »
Oh boy, Ginny's off and running.  I feel another exhibit coming on @ Pompeii.  Maybe this time I can stay and enjoy ALL of it without searching around for Mary and Ann. :o
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #566 on: January 17, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »
Hi Alf,
I remember that day in the museum!  Did you really miss Ginny's first explanation?  And then, you came along with Mary and I when Ginny offered to show us the Cubiculum and Achilles Cart?  You are such a jewel!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #567 on: January 18, 2011, 04:05:47 AM »
AdoAnnie - I have been so intrigued by your location that I have just looked it up.  I think I had Gahanna (which I'd never heard of) and Ghana muddled up in my mind - must be the influence of reading that Little Bee book  :)

Anyway, it looks absolutely beautiful, and I see it has been rated as one of the top places to live.  Do you live in one of the waterfront buildings?

Rosemary

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #568 on: January 18, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »
What waterfront buildings, rosemary?  My waterfront is a creek in the woods behind our condo.  Oh, you must have happened upon our Creekside development.  No, I live about 2 miles from there but I do have a nice woods right behind me and a small creek, Sycamore Run.  I love where I live because its so close to small town necessities.  Library, grocery, filling station, and drugstore plus the international airport is probably not more than 3 miles from our home and a fine village(but huge) shopping center about 4 miles away called Easton.
Our children grew up in Gahanna and one of them refuses to leave here so his four children are experiencing what life is like in a small suburb outside of Columbus,Ohio.  We have beautiful parks here and when the weather is nice, we meet the family for a Sunday night picnic on a regular basis.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #569 on: March 27, 2011, 09:41:14 AM »
I came in with news of special interest to those who attended our Soiree in NYC this past fall.

Bruce Frankel's book “What Should I Do For The Rest Of My Life?” has won the 2011 Silver Medal in the careers category of The Axiom Business Book Awards.

Designed to honor the year’s best business books and their authors and publishers, the fourth annual awards were announced by the Jenkins Group.  “The awards are intended to bring increased recognition to exemplary business books and their creators, with the understanding that business people are an information-hungry segment of the population, eager to learn about great new books that will inspire them and help them improve their careers and businesses,” according to the organization’s announcement. A ceremony honoring the award recipients is scheduled for May 23 in New York City.

Bruce wrote the last time he won a medal was in the 8th grade, he was, in fact, the Conn. State Jr. Wrestling Champion, in the 95 pound weight class.

The man is a charmer, and he won us all over, one of the more charismatic speakers we've ever had, possibly second to Hoving who of course was the epitome.

I thought you all might enjoy hearing of this, go, Bruce!!

Frybabe

« Reply #570 on: March 27, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »
My congratulations to Bruce for receiving the award. His interest and enthusiasm during the book discussion was delightful, his enthusiasm infective.

JoanR

« Reply #571 on: March 27, 2011, 03:25:29 PM »
I'm happy to hear of the award - Bruce Frankl certainly deserves it for his interesting and inspirational book.  Nice guys CAN finish first, after all!!  We certainly all loved him!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #572 on: May 20, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »
Thank you for that, Joan, I've sent  your and Frybabe's comments to him. And here's yet MORE news!~

"What Should I Do With The Rest Of My Life?" has  won a 2011 Nautilus Book Award Silver in the Aging Gracefully / Retirement category. The Nautilus Book Awards recognize books of "exceptional quality and merit" that “promote spiritual growth, conscious living, and positive social change ...and  inspire the reader to new possibilities for a better world."

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, could it?

Frybabe

« Reply #573 on: May 20, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »
Great news, Ginny.

Frybabe

« Reply #574 on: July 05, 2011, 07:58:12 AM »
Originally posted in The Library, I thought I should add it to this one too.

With a little nosing around and Don's (Radioman) help, we finally found Eloise. Here is Don's post from the Classical Music forum on Senior's and Friends.

I finally made contact with Eloise this afternoon.  We chatted for almost half an hour.

She has some issues which she shared with me but wants to come online to divulge personally. I asked if we could send cards or letters and she emphatically said yes!
With her permission, here is her address:

E.DePelteau
10207 Av Larose
Montreal Quebec
Canada
H2B 2Y8

I  would ask those who are aware of the other forums in which she posts  that you copy this message so that word gets out.

I think a truckload of cards would bring a lot of cheer to her.