Author Topic: Soiree in New York City: A Retrospective: Come share the adventures!  (Read 133534 times)

Bow_Belle

Re: Soiree in New York City: come join us!
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 08:08:18 AM »

September 8-12, 2010
Everyone is invited!  

Autumn in New York, (are you singing?) What could be finer?

Based on the resounding success of our 10th Anniversary Gathering in NYC in 2008, we thought we'd try it again!~

Our Hotel: The Leo House:  "The Little Heart in the  Big City," with the best rates you'll find anywhere.

Hotel Information and Rates

Garden at the Leo House

If you are a Latin student, come meet some of  your classmates, for a fun filled day or  weekend:

Classics Students at the Met, NYC 2008

Tentative Schedule:

Sept 8th-Wednesday:
--Contact: Ann for details. Ann  plans for us to meet at the Fraunces Tavern Museum at 3pm.  When the museum closes at 5pm, we'll walk to the Bridge Cafe, also historic,  for dinner. Our reservation is for 6 pm.  Fraunces Tavern is  where George Washington and his generals met after or during the Revolution.   The Bridge Cafe

Thursday 9/9: --LucyLibr--plans a cruise on the Hudson. Contact: Lucy for details.

Friday 9/10
 11:00 am: Metropolitan Museum of Art:  Gallery Talk  for all Latin Students and Everybody  Interested - The Ancient Child--Michael B Norris- Assistive Listening Devices available. Followed by Lunch.   Michael Norris is the author of several books on Greek and Byzantine art and a staff member of the Museum.

Museum curators, conservators, educators, independent scholars, and advanced students of art history regularly present Gallery Talks that focus on specific aspects of the collection, as well as on special exhibitions.
Don't miss this! Free with Museum entrance fee.

---After Lunch: Free Afternoon at Leisure

Saturday 9/11:  Our First Author's Tea at the award winning  Sarabeth's, see below!
-

Sunday 9/12
Those wanting to go to Ellis Island will convene in the Lobby of the Leo. As an alternative, Ann plans a trip to the Tenement Museum. OR just do your own thing! Contact: ginny for details.

Other Enticements:

Alf is planning a Surprise!  Contact: Andrea   for details.

Pedl'n plans a day at the newest NYC park, the High Line.    http://www.thehighline.org/ Contact: Pedln for details.

Additional Possibilities:

The short terms, unscheduled -- High Line Park, with maybe a visit to Chelsea Market nearby, Union Square,  The Strand,  shopping,  Tenement museum, Botanical Gardens, Etaly if open, a Broadway Show, Algonquin or Chelsea Hotels, concerts, opera, bus tour of NYC, etc.

Monday 9/13: : Travel Day:  Departure

New!!

9/11: Our  First Ever Author Tea at Sarabeth's on Central Park between 5th and 6th Avenue:  This is our room!

Join us on September 11 in this award winning restaurant looking out on the Park for one of their famous Teas, at less than half price, $10 only, no tax, and enjoy meeting our authors, Bruce Frankel,  and Maryann McFadden:

"I can think of no writer I'd rather have sing me songs of the sea, even sad ones, than Maryann McFadden."---Anne Rivers Siddons
We'll be discussing Maryann McFadden's book,  here on SeniorLearn beginning August 15 - at
"So Happy Together"
Join us today!

Bruce Frankel’s book, "What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life" is inspirational!  "This upbeat, inspiring, timely book shows how taking a risk and fighting to find a passionate career — at any age — can reinvigorate your life...”— Susan Shapiro
Come join Bruce now - and be inspired!  
Talking Heads ~ "What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life"

Contact: Ann today to secure your place at the table!  We have only a few seats left!~  Don't miss this one!!

See information about reservations at the LEO HOUSE. Deadline to reserve your accommodations is June 15!

Questions about the gathering? Contact: Ann

As a New Yorker would say, "What's not to like?"  

Join us if you can, you'll never forget it!

Sign in here and help us plan what you want to see and do!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »
Gay! So glad to see you here, can't wait to meet you!

As it turns out, Andrea, Gay and I are all arriving at Newark about the same time, Andrea and I within minutes, so we can share a car in (and if anybody else is coming around 1 pm to Newark you are welcome to ride in with us also, and back out for that matter).

Doesn't seem right to have one of our meetings without a literary theme, let's work on that.  If the weather permits, I am going to have to take a half day and see Ellis Island, I know many of you have seen it, I have not,  and am fantastically interested in the immigrant experience. Two books I just saw recommended in Bookmarks Magazine traces two immigrant stories to NYC, one by Tracey Kidder of Deo, a Burundi medical student who arrived in NYC with $200, slept in Central Park and ended up finishing his degree and returning to help his homeland and the other is  The Man in the White Sharkskin Suit by Lucette Lagnado about an emigration from Cairo to Brooklyn.  I think I would like to read those two books and see Ellis Island, and don't forget the Tenement Museum, they still send me letters from 2008.

And of course we could read McCullough's book on the building of the Brooklyn Bridge and walk across it if anybody were game! It's called The Great Bridge, and I picked it up on a bargain table some time ago.

There are literary walks too,  lots of bookish things to see and do in the city! Has anybody contacted the Strand to see what might be on while we'll be there?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »
Here's a fantastic link to the Tenement Museum's Tenement Talks, which are free. Some of these look fabulous:

http://www.tenement.org/vizcenter_events.php

I like the look of these two particularly:

Markets of New York: A Guide to the Best Artisan, Farmer, Food, and Flea Markets with Karen Seiger

Explore the Big Apple through its iconic shops and marketplaces.    Anne Saxelby will be on hand with her famous Saxelby Cheese.

The Thing Around Your Neck with Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chimamanda Adichie, a Nigerian writer, will read from her new book about the complexities of immigration in the 21st century.  This Talk will be in real time Open-Captioning.

They don't have anything for  September yet but on the 23rd but we can keep watching it as things are added.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 08:25:22 AM »
Wow, talk about George Washington! Here's David McCullough on Youtube in April of 2009 defending the Brooklyn Bridge against developers, I have to assume he won? Or did he? Shows him walking across it, too.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cad=16107007357945915130&ct=res&cd=5&ved=0CDEQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D34eV2nz4Jvo&ei=ne0ITPr0AoKKlweFnJSRDg&usg=AFQjCNFlS2ssBKJ1LzBAfrA7yk1Xdy89UQ&sig2=sETYHqY0R11sQggcL8Yg0g

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 08:30:16 AM »
I haven't been disappointed by any of Stacey Kidder's books, Ginny, but that other one intrigues me also.
I don't think that the Tenement Museum is very far from the Fraunces Museum.  I will look that up. 
I still get things from the Museum of NYC and have ever since 2008.  I think Mary and I were there but not very impressed.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
Such fun things being discussed here. For me it's like if I were going to Paris, visiting big cities always give me a thrill and I get so excited about what I will see and do. The museums, the huge parks, the architecture and the people.

Ginny, I have time to kill so the train ride will be good for seeing the countryside and the towns, I love travelling by train, so why not.

Lucy, I like that idea of hopping on and off tour buses, it's a great way to visit a city.

Joan R. I would like to walk from Penn station to the hotel seeing it's not that far but not with luggage in toe when we have to cross streets and weave around pedestrians, but as you say the distance is quite short if I judge by the Manhattan map I looked at. BTY are you the same Joan who came to the Montreal Bash? if yes, I have pictures of you and your daughter in my photo file.

JoanR

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2010, 02:42:47 PM »
Yes, Eloise, I am the same Joan who went to the Montreal bash!  I have a lovely picture of you singing at the mike.  You were really good!  It will be great to see you and your lovely daughter again!
  I travel with a very light rolling bag since I'm no good at lifting.  I don't pack a bunch of "stuff" so the walk is OK for me.  The sidewalk curbs all have dips at the corners making it easy to pull a case  ,  and there are always people to cross with so you don't have to worry about being mowed down!  All bets are off, of course, if it should rain!

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 02:43:45 PM »
Zulema, boujour vous!!! how exciting that I will be seeing you again. How is that handsome grandson of yours? He was so sweet and charming and so patient with us seniors.

Hi! Pedln, I will love to meet with you again. I miss all the fun we had in the old Seniornet.

Bow Belle, welcome to the group. I love the movie A Song to Remember too, when I went to the top of the Chrisler Building I thought about that movie too.

Ann, I am looking forward to seeing you and Mary again. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »
And so the legend begins. The hotel has our reservations. I would urge anybody now who is thinking of coming not to delay, this hotel sells out fast and it's a holiday, 9/11.

We have likewise a surprise author wise and I think you'll be astonished and pleased, we'll have opportunity to learn something fun and useful hopefully for all of us, and once again our Bookfest Soriee in NYC will have an author, the surprise is there's more than one!

Stay tuned, how much better can it get.

We owe Athena 2 (Joyce Pair) a huge debt of gratitude for her handling of the reservations and Lucy at the Leo says she's looking forward to our stay. So are we.

So HOORAY we're on. Several of us are flying into Newark on Wednesday about 12-1, so if you can come then also you are invited to ride in with us. The Fraunces Tavern Museum may open at 3 but we're not eating at 3, right, Ann? When are we assembling for dinner?

Every day in every way this gets better and better, thanks to you all shouldering the  responsibility so well. I'm quite excited.

I will not want to attend the ceremonies for 9/11, maybe we need to find out how many will want to be there. I am sure it's very moving.  I stood on top of the building too many times with my small children holding on to those steel bars looking down, I can't bear  to view the site, in fact I've never gone.

Once the plans are in for each day's activity you'll find a lot of leeway for you to sightsee, shop, see a show or hang with us, we'll make sure at breakfast that everybody who wants to come do something has that opportunity.

We're a lot looser than some "gatherings" are but it works for us. :)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »
The Fraunces Tavern Museum closes at 5pm and we will go to dinner from there.
I need to know who is joining us for dinner so I can make reservations.  

If you plan on being at the Fraunces Tavern for dinner on Sept 8th-Wed, please email me so I can make reservations.
Ginny, please put this notice up in the Latin classes as I would want to hear from them also.

Mucho gratsias, Joyce(Athena2) for all of your hard work.  Can't wait to meet you.

Hey, take a look at this.  This is my library system!

This month, we have the incredible honor of announcing that Library Journal has selected Columbus Metropolitan Library as the 2010 National Library of the Year. This is one of the highest honors in the library world, and comes on top of our 5 Star rating and our #1 Hennen rating. We are the only library in the nation to have achieved all three distinctions. And, this wouldn't be possible without the wonderful support from our customers. We thank you for making us great. Click here to read the article.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home/883793-264/2010_library_of_the_year.html.csp
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »
News!!

We have some very exciting news. As you know,  we are a combination of Books and Latin here and our Gatherings since 1998 have  always reflected books (or things of interest to both when the Latin students started coming in 2008).  This year we have the honor to announce we have TWO authors who are going to meet with us, following our 12 year tradition in the Books!

We'll share a meal and you can meet face to face and talk to with  them about their books and anything you'd like to ask.  We'll be talking about both our authors more in the coming months.

The first is Bruce Frankel, whose book What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life features our own Dr. Robby. His book is about making the most of your senior years and we hope it will be an upbeat  inspirational meeting for everybody.

The second author is Maryann McFadden!!  Ann is scheduling her appearance with us and as usual has a fabulous venue in mind.   How lucky we are!!! We will discuss both authors before  September, so we've plenty of time to read their books before hand, and we can doubly look forward to talking with them.

Don't miss this one! Everyone is welcome!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
Sounds wonderful Ginny!   I'm so sorry to miss it, but I don't think I'll try.  I watched the Tony Awards show last night; they all looked marvelous.  What to choose to go see?  MEMPHIS seemed lively with such music and dance.  FENCES got all the awards and would be marvelous.  Many revivals.  I didn't care much for Catharine Zeta-Jones in a Little Night Music, but with Angela Lansbury in there I bet it is worth seeing also.  Angela looks her age, she hasn't tried to disguise it, good for her!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 06:33:26 AM »
Ella I'm sorry you can't come to this one, we'll miss you.

I saw Angela Lansbury and Catherine Zeta Jones last winter when their show opened, I enjoyed it, they were both good, tho just about everybody in the house seemed to have come as a total Lansbury fan, she got ovations for moving. I think perhaps she deserves them. And she gets carried off physically in the thing, that must get tiring after the first couple of nights.

Lots of shows winning the Tonys I never heard of, thank you for that list, I missed the show.

We've heard from the hotel now and if you don't have a letter in your mail it will come soon, let us know if it does not. Everything seems to be on track and we have a super new author (Discover a New Author) in Maryann McFadden and an author  about inspiration in old age, in Bruce Frankel,  I think they will both make excellent luncheon or breakfast guests, and for Conversation to Remember and tell ones friends about over lunch; we're looking for suitable venues for both.

NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!!!

Here we come!

Be sure to let Ann know if you're coming to Fraunces the first night, so she can make reservations, they sure were nice to us last time. I remember one of the times we were there, we came out and ran right into (or one of us did, go figure) a stage set, they were filming a movie on the street, how exciting can you get? If only that strange blonde woman didn't stumble thru the barricades they had put up. It's a wonder how anybody films anything in NYC, but don't you love to see the result?

Ella,  will never forget Cindy hailing a cab on the street after Fraunces  that night in 2008, or the hailing of cabs to go to Fraunces  from the boat cruise  in 1998. There seems to be something about the hailing of cabs and Fraunces which seems sort of...er.....memorable? hahaha

Lucylibr

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »
I want to mention that there is a King Tut exhibit in New York that will be here all summer and fall.  Also the place to see, or see from these days, seems to be the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center on 50th and Fifth Avenue. One can make reservations there in advance and avoid standing in line.  I do not have details but I am sure they are online.  Lucy

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
Well, Ginny, as I emailed you, The Leo and I are now on the same page and have the corrected reservations reserved.  Thanks for all your help.
For everyone here,
I have been trying to find a place for us to meet Mary Ann McFadden for a meal or high tea and all is so expensive.  Does anyone here have a suggestion that might not want me to give them my oldest grandchild to reserve a place.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2010, 09:12:01 AM »
Ann I am so glad that worked out,  callinig them appears to have straightened that out for you, GREAT!

I think your original choice of Sarabeths  for tea is perfect! It's a gorgeous venue, it won something last year in NYC for the Best Tea in the City  or something and it's a super afternoon with authors, your original idea I think is the best.

I can't see why we can't have an Author's Tea at our Soiree and get to experience Sarabeth's at a discount to our readers, too. Whyever not? I love the way this thing is coming together!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2010, 09:28:01 AM »
Ginny,
An authors' tea is a great idea.  Yes, let's plan that.  If you can give me a date or two, I can get the room reserved today after I get back from delivering a gran to the library for summer tutoring then deliver Ralph to the CT scan room at the hospital, then take him to lunch and deliver him to his surgeon for a check up on that aneurysm that she has stented.  I will call Sarabeth's after that.  Am on my way out the door!

ALF43

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2010, 10:31:59 AM »
Yikes!  How do people make it in this busy, busy world?
I just got off the phone with Lucy Morales who spent more time telling me how busy they were than she did listening to my questions.
She had the wrong address for me and kept insisting that she wanted to fax me the registration.  Four times I told her in 5 small words, "I don't have a fax."
Patience is not my strong suit lately but none the less, I am awaiting my reg. by mail.  If Pedln is out there somewhere, I will pay the bill in its entirity and you can reimbusrse me like we did last year.  Pedln's name and address is alright.  
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2010, 07:12:09 PM »
Andy, I just now read your email and will respond shortly.  I've picked up the mail, but other than checking to see if there was a Bookmarks in the bundle (there was) I haven't looked at the rest of it.  After driving two days I got into town late this afternoon, got mail, went to the Thursday Farmer's market, then home and unloaded car.  Am cooling off in the computer room and trying to cook up enough energy to get in the shower.

What's the name of that Brooklyn church where Dickens read to his audiences?

Does this mean it's safe to make plane reservations?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2010, 07:56:16 PM »
Pedln,  I'd check my mail for a letter as soon as I could,  from the Leo House and if you have it and the dates are correct and the room is what you wanted, then yes I'd make a plane reservation.  They want the rooms paid in full by August 8, I'd confirm mine tho just to be sure, tho Andrea says below she'll put it all on her card as before? Whatever you both work out between you will be fine..

Andrea I am sorry for the problem with the address. When we sent the reservations FAX,  you were gone, it was as a group and  my credit card was to hold them all, so the individual addresses like last year really did not matter,  and actually they did not have one for you at all originally. However they decided each person was to do their own reservations,  which is probably best in the long run,  and that made each person then need a correct address, hence the problem. i did not realize your address was incorrect as submitted, sorry.

If anybody else has a problem, please let us know, it's beginning to look somewhat disorganized and it's anything but. Hopefully the rest will run smoothly.

Ann has the proposed dates now and we'll hear from her soon, that sounds like quite a day, Ann, is the CAT scan for the stent?

The venue that Ann has found for the Author's Tea is fabulous, and we can offer a huge discount, for this award winning restaurant  tea, it would be sinful not to try it and much more fun than going alone (and about half price, something like $10  with no tax).  The menu is to die for, come hungry. The whole experience  should be out of this world AND a private room, well done, Ann! Let's hope the days we want are not booked.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2010, 08:19:24 PM »
Ginny,
We have a reservation for Sept 11, Saturday, from 4to6, for Sara Beth's High Tea Sarabeth's South Central Park location.  I talked to Michelle this afternoon and she has emailed me the paperwork and I have sent it to you for approval.  She has put my name on the reservation for now.
Please note that I have promised 20pp including our authors.  If that is too many please let me know. Before I sign anything and return it to her, I need to know who will be at the tea.  Please email me every one including our Latin student attendees.  We will be passing platters around with sandwiches el.  I assume we might have pitchers of tea on each table.  Yes, the room is okay for someone to give a talk and take questions from the seats.

Ralph is lookin' good.  Yes, it was for the stent enclosing the aneurysm.  Everything is in place and he can now go back to exercising and walking but slowly at first.  He will have to return in 6 months and after that every year for the CT and a visit with this wonderful lady surgeon.  Ralph is the first heart pump patient who has had an aneurysm stent placement.  The man should write a book!  Or somebody should, about his life after 60.  Its really been a whirlwind!  

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »
Oh Ann, that is wonderful and our price for our attendees, at $10 instead of the regular $22 and tax (NYC TAX) makes this event a real deal!

Check this out: Sarabeth's on Central Park between 5th and 6th Avenue:

Take the Virtual Tour, there are tons of rooms and they are all different, I like the last one here best:

http://www.sarabethscps.com/rooms.html

Let Ann know if you are coming asap, we'd like a nice crowd for our authors and our first EVER Soiree Tea. :)

Pedln, if I were you I'd fall on the floor! I'm glad you got back safely tho!! I don't know the Brooklyn church that Dickens read from or that he did at all! Wow.

Gumtree

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2010, 01:50:45 AM »
I'm green with envy - save me a sandwich

Dickens in Brooklyn? -He read at Plymouth Church - try this link - This day in History June 9 (he died) but the article has some details about readings you might be looking for.

http://www.brooklyneagle.com/categories/category.php?category_id=238jd=35934

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2010, 07:44:09 AM »
OH, Gum, I sure wish you were going to be with us.  We will send you a postcard if you send me your snail mail address.  We would love to meet you F2F!

I believe Dickens was at the Madison Heights Church but will check on that.  LucyLibr took a tour there recently so she knows the correct name. 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2010, 08:46:32 AM »
I did not get a letter, but am letting Andy handle it all.  If Andy has a room, I think she'll let me in.    ::)   A call from me, with my ears, would only muck things up.

And if Leo says no room, well, Liz and Judy will just have me for five extra days.  ;D   Now here's hoping that morning flight is still open so I can hit the big city in time for dinner.

Ann, your plans for High Tea with the authors sounds wonderful.  Congratulations.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2010, 02:49:30 PM »
Gum! That would make it perfect if you could come too!

Pedln, they may have only sent one reservation per room, which makes sense, but I'd say at this point if you don't have a letter and you live in the States and nobody from your room got a letter, or has been in contact with them, I'd call.  I THINK that we're all set, or at least nobody I've written has written back to say not.

I'd also call if I were out of the country or FAX.

Just to be on the safe side.

Pedln you are absolutely right about our AdoAnnie, it just keeps getting better and better.  

Maryann McFadden:

Maryann's book So Happy Together JUST came out  in paperback June 15. Look at this review:

"I can think of no writer I'd rather have sing me songs of the sea, even sad ones, than Maryann McFadden."

-Anne Rivers Siddons

Wow!

Maryann  is so enthused about this occasion! Her enthusiasm is infectious. .  This is going to be a totally upbeat positive tea of inspirational subjects. I am so excited about her and her new book.

Here's her website again:  www.maryannmcfadden.com

I can't think of too many things nicer than "High Tea" in the afternoon at an award winning restaurant with authors to listen to on subjects which are upbeat and pertain to all of us.  What more could you want?

Fantastic job, Ann!

Lucylibr

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2010, 01:41:33 AM »
I went on a walking tour of Brooklyn Heights and visited Plymouth Church, which was an important part of the underground railroad. We heard an excellent lecture and the saw the renowned church and parish house with its Tiffany stained glass windows. If anyone is interested, they could plan to see it, but it would take several hours plus travel time.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »
Lucy, did you go to the Underground Railroad Festival?  I did not know aoubt the church’s part in the Underground Railroad, was thinking of it only in terms of the Dickens readings.

We are getting a full schedule –
Wed. – Fraunces Tavern
Thurs. or Fri – Boat Tour around Manhattan?
Saturday – Author Tea at 4 pm
Sunday – Museum and/or get together with the Latin students?

And then there is Ellis Island,  local bookstores – the Strand, Crime & Punishments in Greenwich Village,  Highline Park and Chelsea Market,  and gazillion other things

Here’s a link to visiting Plymouth Church --

Plymouth Church

Lucylibr

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
No, Pedln, I just went on a walking tour of Brooklyn Heights.  We also visited Brooklyn Casino, which is a fabulous building where they have squash courts; it's headquarters for the squash association, sort of an elite venue.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2010, 10:48:45 AM »
I have list of attendees at the Fraunces Tavern:

Ginny
Andy
Ann
Mary
Pedl'n
Zulema
Athena
Lucylibr
Gay
Jeanne (maybe)
Joyce(maybe)

If your name isn't here and it should be, please email me.

For the high tea:

Our authors:

Mary Ann McFadden-"So Happy Together"-Our discussion-Aug 15 -Sept 5th.

Bruce Frankel-"What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life?" A Talking Heads topic in Aug.

Attendees:
Ginny
Andy
Mary
Ann (moi)
Pedl'n
Liz
Judy
Zulema
Gay
Eloise
LucyLib
Gay
Joan R
Meg
Joyce(maybe)
Jeanne (maybe)

Again, if your name should or shouldn't be here please let me know by email.  We need to make our reservations at Sarabeth's firm as to numbers.

JoanR

« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2010, 01:42:49 PM »
Hi, Ann, thanks for publishing the list.  I had forgotten that I was a maybe!  Please add me and my daughter, Meg, to the list as attendees for sure!!!! I think the high tea is a fabulous idea!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »
Ann -- re: Judy and Liz -- probably not for the high tea, but I will ask them.  They go a lot on the weekends, camping, biking, etc. and now that they have a car, they can go further/farther.

Also, Judy will NOT be at the Fraunces, as that is her night to work at the Co-op grocery.  I don't know about Liz, but will check with her.  All her patients are now in Brooklyn, not Manhattan.

JoanR, is Meg your librarian daughter?

Can dinner be pushed back a little from 5 pm?  Even to 5:30 would be helpful.  It's a real push to land in the afternoon, then get to Leo House, then to get downtown to the Fraunces.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »
Okay, so I add JoanR and daughter to the high tea and subtract Liz and Judy from the dinner at the Fraunces and museum.  Is that right?
We will be there at 5pm but taking our time so just come at 5:30.  What will they do, kick you out?? Not allow you to order?  Naaaaaaw, they wouldn't do that.  We will dawdle! hahaha! 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »
Yes those of you who can't make a 5 pm date, please do come over when you can. Or if you want some of us to wait for you and go with you, we can do that too, share a cab?

I've heard now from everybody on the rooms, and everybody who has reported ON the ensuite shower HAS one, they have really done us proud, I'm very happy about that!  Cross your fingers!!

Ann that's a very impressive list of attendees for both venues!

Please add Bruce Frankel the author to Sarabeth's at 4, he sent an acceptance some time ago but has changed computers and it did not go. I am sure we can all relate to that!

So if Jeanne can  come that's 17 which is a super number, more than NYC 08, and  about 6 less than the photo of Chicago all  those years ago.  I think this is just out of this world!

Come one, come all. For the Latin Students on Sunday we'll plan a get together at either the Met or the Cloisters, depending on what programs they are offering at the time (not yet up). Stay tuned, it should be magic, EVERYONE is invited j7ust like last time and it will be better than last time, which was pretty good in the first place. :)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »
I have list of attendees at the Fraunces Tavern:  11
Ginny
Andy
Ann (moi)
Mary
Pedl'n
Liz(maybe)
Zulema
Athena
Lucylibr
Vivian
Gay

If your name isn't here and it should be, please email me.  I did hear from Nancy(Aberlaine) and she can't join us due to her iffy health.  So we have added one name, Vivian, and removed another, Nancy.

For the high tea:  18
Mary Ann McFadden(author)
Bruce Frankel(author)
Ginny
Andy
Mary
Ann (moi)
Pedl'n
Zulema
Gay
Athena
Eloise
Francoise
LucyLib
Gay
Joan R
Meg
Vivian
Suzanne

Again, if your name should or shouldn't be here please let me know by email or post here.  We need to make our reservations at Sarabeth's firm.  We actually need 20 attendees at Sarabeth's according to the lady making arrangements for us but I am hoping they will make an exception.  She did not mention a minimum when I first talked to her, except to reassure me that less than 20 was not a problem.   Well, or course its not, if you are going to charge us for 20, no matter how many attend!!  We will continue to search other venues if necessary.  I haven't contacted "The Cafeteria" yet so will do so on Monday.  They are in Chelsea and not far from our hotel.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2010, 08:23:59 AM »
No map of our possible trip to Sarabeth's.  Sorry!

Zulema

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2010, 04:37:57 PM »
Sarabeth is on Central Park South (which is 59th Street) between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, so any bus that goes up Sixth Ave (Ave. of the Americas) turns on CPS and will get you off practically across from Sarabeth.  That's if you are coming from downtown or Chelsea.  If you go uptown in the morning, like to the Met Museum, you take the Fifth Avenue bus (any) down to Central Park South.  And I will see you there.

Zulema

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2010, 07:53:16 PM »
Thanks Zulema,
I always forget that they have buses in NYC.  And that's certainly a simple way to get to Sarabeths CPS.

JoanR

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »
I think the NY bus system is terrific.  I gave up the subways a couple of years ago and travel the city quite happily via bus!  You can see where you're traveling on a bus - that's a big plus  More pluses for the buses! (poetic, yes?) No stairs, no broken escalators, no pushing at the doors.  Also I find that the drivers on the buses are usually quite helpful .