Author Topic: Soiree in New York City: A Retrospective: Come share the adventures!  (Read 133532 times)

Eloise

• Montreal
Re: Soiree in New York City: come join us!
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2010, 09:47:29 PM »

September 8-12, 2010
Everyone is invited!  

Autumn in New York, (are you singing?) What could be finer?

Based on the resounding success of our 10th Anniversary Gathering in NYC in 2008, we thought we'd try it again!~

Our Hotel: The Leo House:  "The Little Heart in the  Big City," with the best rates you'll find anywhere.

Hotel Information and Rates

Garden at the Leo House

If you are a Latin student, come meet some of  your classmates, for a fun filled day or  weekend:

Classics Students at the Met, NYC 2008

Tentative Schedule:

Here's a loose schedule for Sept 8th thru Sept 12th:

Sept 8th-Day 1
--Contact: Ann for details. Ann  plans for us to meet at the Fraunces Tavern Museum at 3pm.  When the museum closes at 5pm, meet downstairs in the Fraunces Tavern for drinks and dinner.   This is where George Washington and his generals met after or during the Revolution.  http://www.frauncestavernmuseum.org/

Sept 9th thru Sept 12:

Day 2--LucyLibr--plans a cruise on the Hudson. Contact: Lucy for details.

Day3-
-Alf is planning a Surprise!  Contact: Andrea   for details.

Day 4-
-Pedl'n plans a day at the newest NYC park, the High Line.    http://www.thehighline.org/ Contact: Pedln for details.

Day 5-
Ginny will plan something at the Met and a luncheon for the Latin students, everyone is invited, just like last time.  Contact: ginny for details.

Day 6-: Travel Day: Monday the 13th: Departure

Other possible venues include:  a day at the   Botanical Gardens or a history tour of NYC environs.  A Broadway Show, opera, concert, tea at the Plaza, the Algonquin (home of the RoundTable) etc., etc., etc.
New!!

to our First Ever Author Tea at Sarabeth's on Central Park between 5th and 6th Avenue:  This is our room!

Join us on September 11 in this award winning restaurant looking out on the Park for one of their famous Teas, at less than half price, $10 only, no tax, and enjoy meeting our authors, Bruce Frankel,  and Maryann McFadden:

"I can think of no writer I'd rather have sing me songs of the sea, even sad ones, than Maryann McFadden."---Anne Rivers Siddons

Bruce Frankel’s book, What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life is inspirational!  "This upbeat, inspiring, timely book shows how taking a risk and fighting to find a passionate career — at any age — can reinvigorate your life...”— Susan Shapiro Contact: Ann today to secure your place at the table!  We have only a few seats left!~  Don't miss this one!!

See information about reservations at the LEO HOUSE. Deadline to reserve your accommodations is June 15!

Questions about the gathering? Contact: Ann

As a New Yorker would say, "What's not to like?"  

Join us if you can, you'll never forget it!

Sign in here and help us plan what you want to see and do!

and if it's anything like in Montreal you don't have to wait a long time either 20 minutes during the day is the longest. I was wondering if we could take an early evening bus tour along 5th Avenue to go window shopping sitting down in a bus. Is that feasable?  

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2010, 01:16:39 PM »
Eloise,
Mary and I did that when going to an evening tour of NYC.  Its just amazing to see how many shops are supported in that wonderful city.   There isn't a dark store front along there.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2010, 01:18:48 PM »
JoanR,
I am so glad to hear of using the bus system.  Mary and I used a bus our first night in NYC back in 1998 and enjoyed all the shops along the way.  Sort of our own little tour without walking.  We loved it.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ALF43

« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2010, 04:17:45 PM »
Pedln and I rode the bus daily, everywhere that we went the last time we were in NYCity.  The driver was young, fun, kind and very accommodating to the older folks getting off and on.
OK now, I am going to do my job.  I see that we have a busy schedule so if anyone has something in particular for me to plan (my surprise) I will take care of it.  I just need some direction lately.

I am so happy that Eloise will be with us.  I have missed here dreadfully and those of you that have not met dear Eloise-- well you will always remember her with a smile and a song.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2010, 11:04:52 AM »

Get in line everyone!
Welcome to everyone who might be interested in reading along with us.  We will be meeting this author in NYC for high tea.   She has even offered to join us for the discussion.

I am halfway through the story of an almost retired high school teacher who wants to change her life and is making plans to become a photographer as in National Geographic.  As she is packing to leave her home for 10 weeks taking a class in B&W photo making, her long lost daughter shows up and her parents decide to move into assisted living.  Nothing goes as planned from there on.
The description of Cape Cod and the little vilage they end up is just mouth watering. Makes me wonder what I have missed.

I am hoping that all of our attendees, plus anyone who wants to read along with us,  will use this link to sign up to read Maryann's newest book and also to speak with the author online before we meet her f2f.  

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1506.0

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2010, 11:30:48 AM »
I just received both of Maryann's books this weekend.  And if that main character wants to change her life, she'll be right up there with Bruce Frankel.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2010, 06:43:13 AM »
You are right, Pedl'n.  Both books--Frankel's and Maryann,  are about changing lives, aren't they! Glad you will be there for the discussion.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2010, 09:47:56 AM »
I am glad that so many of you used the city bus to tour the city because I really would love to do that.

Andrea, this old lady wouldn't dare make a fool of herself again by singing, you are only 'young' once.  ;D

I have never seen St. Patrick's Cathedral and I hope I have a chance to visit the interior. I love to just walk on large avenues and sit at a sidewalk café to watch people go by when the weather is  nice.

Annie, I ordered So Happy Together and I will join in the discussion.

There are 4 generations in my family and would certainly relate to a lot of the situations in the book.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2010, 10:28:23 AM »
I love to just walk on large avenues and sit at a sidewalk café to watch people go by when the weather is  nice.

Way to go, Eloise.  I love to do that too.  We could sit in Union Square, eat lunch and watch all the people.  And the Strand Bookstore (18 miles of books) is practically across the street.

JoanR -- is that area near where Rent was performed?  When my family was in NY this spring, that was one place our teenager had to visit and take pictures.

Zulema

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2010, 10:28:34 PM »
Hello!!! It's been almost two weeks since anyone posted here.  I just had a house guest, over 65, and found out something about the subway and Seniors.  I had mentioned before that a Senior can buy a regular one-trip Metro Card (no more than one at a time) and get the card and a slip that entitles that person to a return trip, and it can be used on the bus also, and it's good for 30 days.  But the only proof of age the clerk accepts is a Medicare card and absolutely nothing else.  My friend did not bring her Medicare card with her and they refused to look at anything else that showed her age.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »
Thanks, Zulema, for the heads-up on the metro card.  When there twice, my sister and I bought the 7 day pass and used it extensively.  It was good for the buses and the subways and, I think, the trains.

The info about the Metro Card is here:

http://www.easynewyorkcity.com/citytransportation.htm#Downtown%20Connection

We have been working hard getting all things ready for our trip.  Some minor glitches have occurred so we are working those out.  When the plans for each day are done, we will put up a final schedule in here.

Stay tuned! 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
Zulema, I'm shocked!  Really.  I can't imagine going out of the house without insurance cards, let alone travelling out of town without them.

But, I can remember a few previous trips when I was just using quarters and asked the bus driver if he wanted me to pull out my Medicare card, and he just shook his head.  I guess it was pretty obvious.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2010, 03:03:24 PM »
I never go out of the house without my medicare card it is one of the most accepted cards we can show as proof of age and residence. I am looking at bus routes and I will try and get a Manhattan bus map and study it to know the bus lines the color and number. Manhattan is so easy compared with other cities where the Metro and buses never follow a straight line. Montreal is not quite as straight but it's still easy in comparison.

We could sit in Union Square, eat lunch and watch all the people. Definitely, it's a date Pedln.

I was telling my daughter Isabelle about So Happy Together that it was almost the story of her life, a career woman "stuck" with her mother  :) upstairs and two teen agers starting their college education and a demanding job to deal with. I am sorry to say that my daughter Françoise who had planned to come with me, is starting on a new job and won't be able to accompany me to New York. :'( But I am used to traveling alone.

I hope Ginny is enjoying her trip and wish her to best weather, the best Pompeii visit and the best rest in that beautiful hotel with a view on the azure Mediterranean sea.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »
OH, Eloise, I am so sorry to hear that Francoise won't be joining us in NY but also  glad that you will still be coming to have some fun in NYC.

Will you be taking a cab from the train station??  Will that be the New York's Grand Central Station??

At MapQuest, they give you a choice as to how you want to travel, by bus, train or subway(shown at top of map).  Then when you click on your way of travel, they will draw a map from where you are to the place you are going.  I have a map going from our hotel up to Sarabeths for tea on Saturday afternoon.

But, I just found a different place for maps in Manhattan. MTA NYC Transit-Trip Planner.  Take a look at this:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/

You can put in your addresses and use July 31, (that's as far in time that they go)  and they give you, I think, 3 choices for traveling both ways.  And you can print them out.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
Annie, I could take a cab, but when I saw this Manhattan bus map  http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

I am pretty sure I can take a No. 3 bus down to 23rd street. My small bag won't drag me down,  I know it's not far to walk but I might be tired after an 11 hours train ride and being in the heart of the Big Apple will be a bit awsome for me to walk. I guess I will get a metro/bus card inside the train station. I don't plan on taking the subway unless someone who knows is with me. The train arrives around 8:30 pm.

This is so exciting,

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2010, 06:02:06 PM »
Did you say 8:30pm?? Is that on the 7th or the 8th of Sept??  It will be dark when you come in and I would strongly suggest that you grab a cab to get to the Leo.  Much safer for you since you are alone.  

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2010, 04:16:58 AM »
Yes Anne, you are right it will be too dark to even think of walking alone. I do it here but it's better not to risk it in NY. I will stay 5 nights arriving in NY on Sept 8th at 8:30 pm and leaving Monday Sept 13th at 8:30 am. I am quite sure that the heat wave will be long gone by then.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »
Thank you for relieving my concern for you, Eloise.  Remember we will be out to dinner that night but we may already be back at the Leo.  Ask the receptionist if any of us are in our rooms.  Can't wait to see you!  Its been too long!

vivian

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »
Hope this will do it:
Would like to attend NYC event.  I live in NYC so lodging is not needed.   I've been having trouble navigating the web site - hopefully this missive will get  me registered. Let me know either way
Thank you
Vivian Dulberg
 vrd32@aol.com

ALF43

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2010, 08:17:13 PM »
Vivian, welcome to our wonderful site and the planned excursion visit to NYC.  We are delighted to have you and hope that you can navigate back in to finding us.  If you have any questions, please feel free tojust speak up.l  We all had problems getting to where we wantedto go here until we became acclamated to our new site.  We have wonderful, helpful techies who spend hours assisting all of us with our questions and concerns.
I can't wait to meet you in NYCity- one ofmy very favorite cities.  Of course, I am an original New Yorker so I am biased and admit to that fact.  ;D

How long have you lived in the city?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Zulema

« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2010, 11:23:44 PM »
Hello, Vivian,

I also live in NYC, albeit in the Bronx.  Unlike Alf, I moved to NYC afer I retired.  Look very much forward to meeting you.

In case you didn't know, if you click on the poster's name, you get the person's profile, such as it is, but also an e-mail address.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2010, 10:57:06 AM »
Oh wow, get a load of this.  Better yet, check out the review of her book 97 Orchard in today's USA Today.  Or search 'jane ziegelman' on Google.  Food habits of 5 tenement families.

Would she like to come to -- where are we going -- Sarabeth's in the Park?

Or would she talk to us at the Tenement Museum.  For something like this I'd park the walker downstairs and hike up 5 flights, and ask her to wear my ALD when she talks.

Jane Ziegelman is the director of the forthcoming culinary program at New York City's Tenement Museum. The founder and director of Kids Cook!, a multiethnic cooking program for children, she has presented food-related talks and cooking classes in libraries and schools across New York City. Her writing on food has appeared in a number of newspapers, magazines, and books, including The New Cook's Catalog, and she is the coauthor of Foie Gras: A Passion. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.

It's a three P day today.  Time to hit the third P -- the pool.

ALF43

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »
Pedln- you are as stubborn as PatW. when you travel.   :D
I do not wish to exhibit my substantial nursing skills while attending NYC with you.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
What's your problem, Alf???  That is why you are coming with us, right?? ;D ;D

ATTENTION ALL HIGH TEA ATTENDEES!!

I have two names but no emails or incorrect addresses for ladies who said they wanted to be at Sarabeths on Sept 11, 2010 from 4-6pm.  Their names are:

JeanneP

Zulema- have your email address but it keeps not accepting my mail to you.  Please put me on your acepted list.

Please email me so that I can get some info to you.

Okay, I have heard from Joyce who is Athena2 and she is not sure if she will make to the Soiree but will let me know by August 8th.

bellemere

« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2010, 04:34:08 PM »
Google the Grolier Club to see what is going on for exhibitions.  Grolier is an organization devoted to the book arts: binding, illustration, etc.  Could be dull, could be fascinating, but easy location , first block east of 5th Ave, and they have always allowed visitors free.  AND they have a lovely clean rest room!
Last time I was there the exhibition was of miniature books, a nineteent century fad.  It was very interesting. (for an hour or so)
Sorry I can't join.  When would you like to convene in "the Athens of America" - Boston.  We have lots of great stuff, too.

JoanR

« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2010, 04:53:05 PM »
Omigoodness, Bellemere - I went to the exhibit of miniature books, too!  One of my daughters collects them - and makes them herself, as well!

A "soiree" in Boston sometime would be great - lots to see there.  Getting older by the minute so can't wait too long!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2010, 09:17:33 AM »

Bellemere,

The Grolier Club?? Is that down in the Wall St area?  Minature books?? Sounds different.
And you are living in Boston?? I thought you lived in Ohio.  Weren't you supposed to get together with Ella and I for lunch and then she fell and broke her ankle??  Have you moved?

JoanR,
Did you get my email about Sarabeths?

JoanR

« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »
Yes, Anne, I did get your e-mail and the check for me & my daughter is on the way.  Haven't been to a "proper tea" in many years so am really looking forward to this.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »
Thanks for letting me know, JoanR. 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2010, 10:08:48 PM »
Ann, I just talked with Judy, my daughter, and she and Liz would like to come to the tea at Sarabeth's.  They were disappointed they couldn't do the Fraunces dinner.  Can they still sign up -- if so, I'll send you another check.  I just mailed mine yesterday.

I was surprised when she said they would like to come because they like to take off and go on the weekends.  But I guess they'll have had enough travel for a while, and they're going to take me up the Hudson the weekend I'm with them -- 9/18-19.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2010, 10:47:12 AM »
I mentioned this book last week after seeing a review of it in USA Today.  Here’s a link to a review from yesterday’s NY Times, and below it, one from Amazon.

97 Orchard St, NY Times

97 Orchard, Amazon

It’s also available in Kindle edition.  I’m taking bets to see if I’m going to break down and get a Kindle before this trip.  It could hold a lot of books for 13 days away from home.

And by the same name, a children’s book by Linda Granfield.

97 Orchard by Granfield

If nothing else, we really should get to the tenement museum. 

JoanR

« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »
I definitely would like to go to the tenement museum!

How early in the day is the river cruise scheduled?  I know it's on Thursday - that's the day I'm coming in.  I probably could make it if the Leo House will hold my suitcase for me.  I've been on that cruise twice but it's always enjoyable so I could do it again in good company.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2010, 11:49:46 AM »
Pedl'n,
Yes, the ladies will be a welcome pair to our tea.  Must go count heads again and see where we stand.
You are going up the Hudson for 2 days??? What fun that will be!

JoanR,
I don't know about the times of our cruise but you could email LucyLibr and ask her.

In the middle of all this, I am trying to get rooms up in Ithaca,NY for Sept 24-27 or Oct 1-4 and its been a bear.  But I think we are getting it straightened out.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »
I have list of  9 attendees at the Fraunces Tavern:

Ginny
Andy
Ann
Mary
Pedl'n
Zulema
Lucylibr
Gay
Jeanne (maybe)

If your name isn't here and it should be, please email me. Or if it is here and shouldn't be.

For Sarabeth's High Tea: 16 & 1 maybe

Our authors:
Mary Ann McFadden-"So Happy Together"-Our discussion-Aug 15 -Sept 5th.
Bruce Frankel-"What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life?" A Talking Heads topic in Aug.

Attendees:
Ginny
Andy
Mary
Ann (moi)
Pedl'n
Liz
Judy
Zulema
Gay
Eloise
LucyLib
Joan R
Meg
Vivian
Jeanne (maybe)

Again, if your name should or shouldn't be here please let me know by email.  We need to make our reservations at Sarabeth's firm as to numbers.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2010, 12:23:08 PM »
I received an email two days ago from the new Fraunces Inn Tavern owners and they have not reopened yet.  So, I am thinking if we still want to see the Fraunces Tavern Museum (It was not sold to these new people and still under the ownership of the Revolutionary group of New York State),  I have found another restaurant in that area (15 minute walk or there is a bus stop near it,) "The Bridge Cafe".  Its a 15 minute walk from the Fraunces Inn Museum.

Here's a link to it:  http://www.bridgecafenyc.com/

Please take a look at their menu and their history and know that this is where we may go after the museum.  

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2010, 01:25:08 PM »
Pedln, I received my Kindle last weak and I take it everywhere even in the garden when I sit down and read between chores. I got two books, one of them was free and the other one I am not enjoying it very much. I am trying out two newspapers before I subscribe and they are not that as easy to read on a Kindle as the paper ones, but for headlines it is fine. I hope I can get good French books, but I haven't explored the selection yet. The K will be good on my long train ride, saves me from bringing many books along.

I definitely want to take the river cruise. Should I get my NW pass before I leave Montreal? Before I get it I would like to know that others would want to go to. I hope you get in on time Joan. The Leo mentioned that they do hold luggage for those who arrive early and the rooms are not ready before 2 o'clock.

Ann I am looking forward to the tea at Sarabeth. BTW you got Gay down twice on your list.  :-*

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
Oh, oh oh.  I tell people I go to New York to EAT.  And look what's coming.  Maybe it will be open when we're there.  On West 23rd St. -- just like us.  We can walk there, build up an appetite.

EATALY

Eloise, I think I made the decision last night NOT to get a Kindle  The $139 price for the new Wi-Fi Kindle is very tempting, and Jeff Bezos was doing a good job of selling on the Charlie Rose show (until the x@8&* cable company messed up the captions). He really made a case for concern about eye strain, non-glare, etc.  I went to Amazon, and almost pushed that button. Then I started looking at the books available.  Yes, $10, but many creeping up to $13 and more. But mainly, I love the hunt for a good bargain, love browsing in used books stores, trading with friends, etc.  But, it's still a possibility.  Tell me more about the newspaper reading.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2010, 04:39:52 PM »
Thanks, Eloise, for the two Gay's notice.  I deleted one.  So, I haven't heard from JeanneP as to whether she is still planning to be with us in NYC.

I like having a book in my hands when I read.  I also find the Kindle too large for my purses and somewhat heavy.  I am hoping to be able to download audio books for traveling.  They aren't cheap but we have free loans from our library.  I just haven't figured it out yet.  Must make an appointment with another Apple Genius for directions.

Pedl'n,
Your first check arrived today along with one from LucyLibr and Vivian.  We should make a visit to EATELY, maybe after the High Line Park. vc

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »

We should make a visit to EATELY, maybe after the High Line Park. vc

Well, maybe.  But you know, the High Line is right near Chelsea Market.

I just checked out the Bridge Cafe Menus -- looking good.

I ordered a Kindle, but if they don't ship it by Aug. 27, I'm cancelling. That's the supposed ship-date.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
Oh, Pedl'n,
Chelsea Market??? My youngest brother, Chas, the NYC connoisseur, highly recommends that place.  No decision here, is there??

Here's very complete link for the Chelsea Market:

http://www.chelseamarket.com/