Author Topic: Talking Heads ~ Expectations for retirement living with author Bruce Frankel  (Read 51568 times)

Frybabe

Talking Heads #10
A  forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online: bring your ideas and let's discuss.

"Choices – For the Rest of Your Life?"

We are fortunate to have Bruce Frankel as our guest  in this month's Talking Heads discussion.  Bruce is  the author of  "What Should I Do With the Rest of My Life?" in which he presents us with more than a dozen profiles of individuals he calls "ordinary people who embraced new possibilities late in life - extraordinary late bloomers who have overthrown the usual expectations of age."
Profiled in the book is one of SeniorLearn's  own Discussion Leaders,  Robby Iadeluca, a practicing clinical psychologist, who still conducts a full schedule of therapy sessions, five days a week at the age of 90! A Review of  Bruce's book; Amazon link

Our questions for Bruce as we consider these profiles:
- Are these ordinary people like you and me...or do they possess extraordinary talent, wealth or physical fitness?
- What inspiration can we take from his research today
?
Thanks for joining us, Bruce!  We're looking forward to hearing your words of acquired wisdom!

On the other side of the issue, ..."Gerontologists tend to think of successful aging as taking advantage of what potential there is, staying as socially and intellectually engaged as possible. Our culture tends to measure it more in terms of how active people are."
"Part of the pressure on older people to be successful and give back and volunteer and be active and play tennis is that we are a culture of doing. We don't really know how to be. That's something that late life gives us, is time to be. But that's stigmatized." "Turn 70.Act Your Grandchild’s Age"  Kate Zernike, NY Times

1. Are goals and expectations necessary for our “second life?”
2. What is ageism?  Outside of public policy decisions (i.e. Social Security, medicare, etc.) should age be a consideration?
3.  Whose Second Lives do you celebrate?
4. Do you or did you look forward to life after 65?
5. Did you have any specials plans.

Your opinion?  Let's discuss!

Jean, I second JoanK's mention of Peterson's bird guide. It is my favorite. I keep a modest bird list, but I don't always remember to list new birds that I identify. Most of the birds on my list I have seen right in my back yard. I thought I saw a Marsh Hawk in my back yard this spring. It saw me the same time I saw it and off it went through the pines. Later, there was one hoping about in the branches on a very windy day. What a thrill (though the squirrels didn't think so). I am hoping for a nest in one of the pines someday.

The first week at school is history. All I have to say is that the accounting class is too short. I want to keep going.

Lucylibr

I didn't say where I live and where I saw these birds. It's Rockaway Beach, Queens, near the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Preserve, one of the last stops on the A train.

I just got word that my 101-year-old friend Sally Gordon is going to be on the Today show (NBC) next week. We don't know the day and time.

Steph

The most amazing thing when we lived at the beach was the number of shore birds and seagull with one leg missing.Did not seemto affect them at all.. No idea what they must get caught in or something.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
MaryZ, thanks so much for the Pale Male link.  Really wonderful photos. And what a labor of love.  For those who have not yet been there, you may find that the pictures are larger than your screen.  Just set your browser view to 75% or 50%.

JoanK

• BooksDL
Yes, they are. Aren't they wonderful -- the different species can all feed together because each species has a slightly differant way of finding food, so even though they are together, they aren't competing. Watch for these differances in behavior.

LUCY: You're lucky to have piping plovers.

PBS did a special on Pale Male. Watching the chicks learn to fly brought together strangers from all over New York.

brucefrankel

Phew, just finished the very difficult task of clearing out storage that I had been spending money on each month. I had to give away a ton of books and still brought 19 boxes of books back to my apartment, so I can take my time with them, deciding which to give away and which I "need" to keep. It has raised for me another issue, one I didn't address in my book but seems somehow connected: letting go! Just the opposite of collecting.

So many of the books I had kept, for instance, were really attached to memory and not necessity. They were either books that were important to me or books that I had some hope/belief I would return to one day. I began to see the books like tiles in a mosaic. Who I am was constructed over years, piece by piece, by those books, each one adding to my shape or coloring. How could I cast out pieces of me? Other books were like thick snapshots -- as I held them, a freeze-frame of the life I lived would rush into memory. Some were attached to ambition: what I had hoped to write, who I wanted to be. If I got rid of them, was I surrendering my dreams? Was I accepting that I would never become what I once hoped to become?

I survived. Over time, I will weed through what's left. I kept hearing Walt Whitman in "The Song of the Open Road," singing to me, "Leave the book on the desk unread..."

Steph - That's great about finding ElderHostel. I've known a number of people who have joined and loved it. I have an aunt and uncle who go every year and are truly energized by the learning they do. And working at a library these days is, I would think, a very interesting experience. As I think I mentioned earlier, my friend Marilyn Johnson wrote a wonderful book, This Book Is Overdue! which is funny and fascinating, about the importance and various roles that librarians play in our technological age. As a result, I was invited in May to appear at an annual library conference and was amazed by the various discussions. Librarians, I think, have replaced the reporters in terms of being on the front lines protecting free speech, etc.

Also, I looked up Sally Gordon. I will try to contact her on Monday. I'd love to do a Labor Day piece on her for my blog. Thank you very much for the tip.

Joan, loved your description of the importance for you of watching birds. In particular, I loved the idea of how seeing one bird can remind or reestablish beauty in the world. I think Joseph Cornell, the artist who made boxes filled with birds, stars, and ballerinas, would have deeply appreciated your thoughts.

Looked up the Pale Male. Great shots. A decade ago, I lived in an apartment on Central Park West across from a roosting for one of the hawks. We watched his comings and goings as you might a celebrity who lived in an apartment across the street. What are we eating for dinner tonight? Oh, that must be a juicy little rodent you have! Bon appetit!

Jean, the business of why people collect is fascinating. For the film I was making we interviewed psychologists, psychiatrists, animal behaviorists, Thomas Hoving of the Metropolitian Museum, and a wide variety of collectors: there was a guy who collected tractors upstate; a man who collected cast iron products; a woman who was a great  art collector; an artist who collected -- I kid you not -- inspection stickers that come with products: for the graphics; a collector of Civil War daguerotypes of the dead (it was a convention of the day); etc. We also studied the bower bird! which is may be the only other animal that really collects to decorate. It its case, it decorates apparently to attract a mate, if I remember correctly. One psychiatrist thought we collect, beginning in childhood, to reconstitute our families: her is the  mamma rock, the daddy rock, the baby rock. Another thought we collect because we have an intrinsic need to complete sets. One psychiatrist I knew felt certain that collecting was an attempt to pacify a feeling of emptiness, or a lack of love. But as I said in the chapter on Naomi, collecting is a very common and widespread human behavior.

ginny

• Administrator
Bruce, when did you interview Tom Hoving? We have quite a history with Thomas Hoving, starting with our meeting with him in 1998, our first ever Books Gathering, and continuing in email correspondence until quite recently. I was sorry to read about his death. Did you know he wrote a book on Doris Duke?

I think perhaps some of the things he thought turned out to be right, too.

Wasn't he something!

I would personally love to hear more about Robby's childhood and his father, I wonder if that exposure to a traumatized veteran was in any way responsible for his later choice of career?

I loved the story of the Household  Goods Recycling Ministry, the chapter titled "Recycling Lives" where the couple give away furniture to people who need it, that's an amazing story. They should be in Parade Magazine or People Magazine too. It's just amazing how normal people, by volunteering, can make such a difference.

I loved this statement: "People come to them for help and leave with their dignity intact."  and...."They created an environment that motivates people and brings out the best, just by how they treat people."

That's pretty inspiring!

And I loved the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote: "It is one of the most beautiful compensations in life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself."

THAT is a chapter, there.

I really like this book.

brucefrankel

Thank you, Ginny -

I guess we interviewed Hoving circa 1984. He was, indeed, something! He was very much as you might imagine him, I think, but perhaps warmer, more open, and, now that I think about, generous. Our credentials as filmmakers were limited. My had made one documentary. And I had a decade of reporting. We were young, that's for sure. And he freely gave us his time and thoughts. I don't remember him saying anything radical, but he would have had a prominent place in the film, because he had a wonderful knack for threading ideas. And, of course, he had a marvelous presence. I remember reading about some of the later controversies, but can't say I kept up terribly well. I did know of the Duke book, but I have not read it. Did you discuss it in the Books Gathering?

Robby's parents moved out to Islip when he was quite young and when Islip was still a very rural place, an hour and a half or more out on Long Island from New York. It was surrounded by great natural beauty, close to the Great South Bay. Robby has written a couple of detailed chapters of his own on his childhood, and what was particularly remarkable about them was the detail with which he remembered the town itself. I came away feeling very much as if I could imagine the growing, but sleepy town it still was in the late 1920s and early 1930s, in part because he rode his bicycle everywhere and for great distances. He seems to have been an intrepid explorer even as a boy.
    Robby remembers the water pump for his house, the outhouse, and when electrification finally came -- as, I believe, part of FDR's Rural Electrification program during early 1930s. He loved school and embraced learning from a very young age; his mother filled him with encouragement. And she, herself, must have been a terrific model. She wrote poetry, journalism, and opinion, particularly on the plight of WWI veterans like Robby's father. Robby's father spent much time at the local VFW when he was growing up; he never worked. And I have a feeling that the contrast between Robby's mother's can-do attitude and her curiosity and her encouragement of all the things she had Robby doing -- playing the violin, singing in every choir around, regardless of denomination-- and his subdued, unenterprising and parsimonious father was formative. In addition to the music, the pigeons, and the school work, Robby explored the natural habitat around him like a young scientist.

He did, from time to time, get in trouble. And he was aware that his family was not on the same plane socially as his friends. But his mother's qualities and the friendships she established with women in town seemed to bridge that gap. He had one particularly close friend with whom he palled around most of his childhood, when they were young and in their teen years. Robby was also a good athlete.

As mentioned in the book, he got his nickname from the choir director, who was one of those important figures in his life. Robby was disappointed that he didn't rank among the top two students in his graduating class. But obviously, his skill as an orator and thinker were quite apparent even then -- enough so a contest was created to find an additional speaker for commencement among the seniors, perhaps as a way of having Robby speak. I love the story of his forgetting to bring his speech to the graduation, scaring the daylights out of the teacher who selected him. But, of course, Robby didn't need a text to deliver it, word for word as he had written it.

Robby  got a fair dose of New York City, traveling in to visit with his paternal grandparents. The family had a great deal of pride in its roots in Sicily, and this can't be underestimated in Robby's investment in education. If I am remembering correctly, his paternal great grandfather was a superintendent of schools there.

I lived part of my adolescence on the South Shore of Long Island, in Long Beach, and used to travel out to East Hampton to visit with a great uncle. And so I have a pretty good sense of the area. And it helped me in imagining Robby's childhood to remember the history of the Islip area:  it was once home to a branch of the Algonquins known as the Secatogues; it was settled by the English before the end of the seventeenth century; andthere was farming all around the area, by the time Robby's family moved out in the midst of the Great Depression, the fishing, clamming and oyster industries were prevalent. They employed thousands. Indeed, New York State passed a law that made it illegal to call oysters "Blue Points" if they came from anywhere else. Through the early part of the 20th century, it attracted wealthy tourists who big houses, lodges, and country clubs. So, rich man-poor man awareness permeated that area that part of the South Shore. During Robby's childhood, I doubt there were more than 35,000 people living there. But after WWII, the town Robby knew largely disappeared and was swallowed by cookie-cutter developments. I can't say for sure, but I'd guess more than 300,000 people live in Islip today.

Lucylibr

I liked the "Recycling Lives" story because it shows that there are enough goods (and I think also food) for everybody, but we lack an adequate distribution system.  We are in the habit of throwing out the old item with little thought about where it can be used and how much use it still has.  When we get rid of something, we should be as concerned about recycling the old item as acquiring the new.

brucefrankel

That's a great way of putting it, Lucy.

What is astonishing about the Smiths is how much effort they put into doing the work without any thought of what they might get out of it. It was only their example, bit by bit, that convinced others -- including former clients -- to join in the all-volunteer effort. There was no hype. No grand words. Just service and action. Barbara was more driven to it, obviously, than Ira. He acquired belief over time, witnessing the good they were doing. Remarkably humble and purposeful people.

Steph

I have been trying over the past several years to go from collecting to giving.. To some extent I have been successful, but I still feel I just have too much stuff. But.. a good many things have a deep resonance in myheart.. So I have been relearning what I need to make me happy.. That is things around me and what I keep because someone I loved loved it.. Hmm..

Robby

Bruce, your memory is amazing.  There were a few minor -- actdually unimportant errors -- for example it was our band and orchestra leader who dubbed me with the monikor of "Robby."  And the fact that my Italian heritage is Neapolitan, not Sicilian.  My great grandfather was superintendent of all the schools in Naples.  But overall you give a picture of my childhood.  Islip at that time had about 3,500, not 35,000.  It was impossible to walk down Main Street without knowing practically everyone.  I still do a lot of public speaking.  And I guess my memory is still pretty good.  Recently I spoke before the local Chamber of Commerce on the topic of the various positive and negative attitudes toward aging and in the process incorporated Browning's "Grow old with me" and Shakespeare's "All the world's a stage" which I recited from memory. During the speech I also sang )with an 89-year old voice from the song "When I was seventeen", specifically the verse "And now the time grows short, I'm in the autumn of the year" and from "It ain't necessarily so" the verse "Methusaleh lived nine hundred years." 
I'm very active in my community and that has kept me from being as active in leading "Story of Civilization" as I had been.  I'm on two Boards of Directors -- the state Psychological Assn, the local Hospice, and an organization to prevent recidivism called "Second Chance."  I lead brainstorm sessions to stimulate the local economy.  This was taught me by Alex Osborn, president of BBDO.  And of course my provate practdice continues.  If you read the book, you know about my dear friend Nancy Walbridge-O'Connell with whom I used to do lots of dancing.  On the 25th of September she will be hosting a birthday dinner for me.  So life is good.  My health is good and my spirits are good.  I am blessed.

ginny

• Administrator
Happy Birthday to come, Robby! I really enjoyed hearing about your childhood, thank you Bruce and Robby.

The recent HBO special on children in need in California, diving in dumpsters, really shows where there is still need for initiative.  I don't live in Anaheim but the thought of paying $870 for a motel room for a month to get your children off the street is staggering, to me. I wonder what we can do.

Bruce the Hoving book we discussed was King of the Confessors, about his acquisition of the Bury St. Edmunds Cross. I had read it when it came out and thought (and still do) it was one of the best books I ever read. I see that the Metropolitan Museum of Art has a $400+ replica of it in their holiday catalog, wish he were alive to comment on THAT one.  hahaha

Yes he was very generous. I think the Duke book never came out in print, it was eclipsed by  a couple of movies on the same subject.

What a true joy ths discussion has been! Thank you so much , Bruce! We look forward to hearing you speak in NYC next week is it really next WEEK? Wow.

brucefrankel

Hey, Robby, thank you so much for piping in and correction my memory. And though you may say the mistakes were trivial, no Neapolitan standing in Naples -- particularly at a soccer game -- would remotely agree with you. I might be dueling for my life!!!! So, thank you, as always, for your generosity of spirit. It cheers me so much to hear of your latest adventures. I wish you were coming along to NY as well!

And Ginny, JoanK, PedIn, Steph, Eloise, Lucy, Adoannie, UrsaMajor, JoanP, Ellie, Gumtree, MaryZ, Frybabe, Jean, and everyone on "Talking Heads," thank you for allowing me to share the space with you and great pleasure of hearing your thoughts and conversation. I look forward to seeing you at Sarahbeth's and meeting you in person. Warmest regards and gratitude, Bruce

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA

Bruce, we have been overwhelmed and awed by your generous contributions to this discussion.  I don't think there was a single comment to which you did not respond.  From all of us - many, many thanks!
Expect a warm welcome in New York!

Let's leave this discussion open for a  few more days for last minute comments.  We'll let you know soon of  the next Talking Heads topic.

Steph

Re: Talking Heads ~ Expectations for retirement living with author Bruce Frankel
« Reply #215 on: September 01, 2010, 09:31:28 AM »
Bruce and Robbie and everyone else. I have loved this discussion, wish I could meet you and be in NYC, but alas it is not to be. That is the week of the trial of the man who hit us..I will think of you.. Would must prefer to be there than here.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Talking Heads ~ Expectations for retirement living with author Bruce Frankel
« Reply #216 on: September 01, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »
Steph, I hope the trial will not interfere with your class reunion.

Bruce, Robby, everyone, many many thanks for making this such a good discussion.  We've covered a lot of territory, and I for one have learned much.  I hope I speak for many here when I say we know now that we too can set goals, try new things, step outside the box.  It's never too late.

Bruce, I'm looking forward to meeting you in New York next week.

And thanks especially for Loretta Thayer's inspiring story -- without it I might never have had popovers for breakfast this morning.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #217 on: September 01, 2010, 11:42:39 AM »
Steph, keep us posted on how the trial goes.  I know you'll have your family there for support, but I wish we could all be there in person for you - of course, we'll be there "virtually".
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #218 on: September 01, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »
Thank you so much, Bruce: you have really inspired us!!

Frybabe

« Reply #219 on: September 01, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
Thank you Bruce, and everyone, for a genuinely outstanding discussion.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #220 on: September 01, 2010, 03:43:27 PM »

Thank you Bruce for your generous contribution to this discussion and we look forward to meeting you in New York very soon.

Thank you Robby for being an inspiration to many of us especially during the discussion Story of Civilization that you have generously led for the past 6 years, I will never forget some of the things I learned in that discussion. Merci mon ami.

mabel1015j

« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
Thanks to Bruce and, as always, to Robby, loved all the stories. Have a good visit in NYC........Steph, take care of yourself. Take some handwork to the trial, it will help keep your blood pressure down - seriously.............. :) ........we'll be thinking about you.........jean

brucefrankel

« Reply #222 on: September 02, 2010, 03:20:24 PM »
 Thank you to all for your many kind  thanks. The pleasure, I assure you, was mine. With admiration, Bruce

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #223 on: September 02, 2010, 06:34:27 PM »
So glad I came in today and found the discussion still going.  We have been out of town for the last few days and I wanted to be sure to say "Thanks, Bruce, for being a great guest author.  We have so enjoyed all of your comments."

About your old books describing you and your dreams, and not wanting to get rid of them, I too, have many books including the one that my mother used to name me.  Entitled "Ann Veronica" by H.G.Wells, I am so named and will keep the book and maybe one of my children will value it and if not, I won't know, will I?

Robby, as usual you add another dimension to all of our conversing about many things here in the Books discussions.  Thanks dear friend.

Steph,
I hope your reunion goes well and the trial.  We will all keep you in our good thoughts and prayers and do as Mama Jean says, take some handwork with you, it will help keep you sane.   And I hope you will join us at our next get together of the Books folks.  ((((((Hugs))))))

This has been a most surprising discussion with so many people wanting to tell of their lives plus the wonderful book that has led us all to it.  Thanks to all of you who have added your impressions on the book's stories.  Aren't people just amazing?  I loved it and loved being in here with you all.  (((((hugs)))) for all of you.

See you in NYC, Bruce and others.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »
All good things must come to an end, and this has been one of the best.  Thank you again, everyone, for your thoughts, wisdom, and participation.