Author Topic: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ~ Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows  (Read 44714 times)

straudetwo

• Massachusetts

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

The year is 1946.  Juliet Aston, a writer looking for her next book subject, finds herself "gloomier than she ever was during the war."  Quite out of the blue she finds her subject, one  that will change her life, with the arrival of a letter from a member of a book club in Guernsey, a British Channel island occupied by the Nazis during the war.
Imagine a book club in a place where there is not a single book store! This is exactly what Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, Annie Barrows have done as they draw us into  the engaging relationship betweeen Juliet Aston and the  Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  Perhaps their story explains the popularity of book clubs everywhere.

Discussion Schedule:

Feb. 1-7   *Letters -- January 8, 1946 - March 1, 1946
Feb. 8-14    *Letters -- March 2, 1946 - May 13, 1946
Feb. 15-21   *Letters -- May 14, 1946 - July 15, 1946
Feb. 22-28     *Letters -- July 17, 1946 - Sept. 17, 1946

Topics for Pre-discussion
1.  Have you ever read or heard about Guernsey and the Nazi occupation during WWII?
2.  How many novels have you read that were based on  correspondance between fictional characters?   
     Do you think this is an easy feat for a writer?
3.  What is the special relationship beteen the two authors of this book?
4.  This is also a novel about books.  What novels have you read that introduced you to other books?
5.  Can you locate one of Charles Lamb's essays and tell us about it here?
6.  Potato peel pie?  Can you share a recipe?

Related Links: Author's Biography; Visit Guernsey ;   A history of Guernsey during the German Occupation 1940 - 1941. ; Charles Lamb - Selected Essays

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and Pedln

Traude: My books came yesterday.

Babi

My library is requesting one of the editions of Seneca's essays and letters for me, via inter-library loan.  I hope it arrives soon. Meanwhile, no one has yet pointed out the fact that Feb. 1 is TOMORROW!  I'm practically jiggling in my seat in anticipation. 
   I did read Lamb's essay on the roast pig yesterday.  He did somewhat allay my regrets on behalf of the baby pigs, by pointing out that they were saved from maturing into gross, dirty, smelly adults.    :-\
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MarjV

Babi - I'm the same way about trying to make sure I have a book on hand - go into a panic.  Then sometimes I have too many at once like now.

I just found Burnt Pig essay to read.   I grew up on a farm - baby pigs were cute - not adults.   Many a winter night I watch them birth.

Haven't had a chance to open Guernsey.

bellamarie

Gumtree..."[b]Bellamarie[/b] "Sorry, I must have misled you - the sentence I quoted is the actual wording -at least as translated by Robin Campbell. It comes in Seneca's Letters From a Stoic and is Letter XL in which he denigrates the voluble, garrulous orator and praises the more restrained delivery. He says the more 'popular' garrulous style has nothing to do with truth. Its object is to sway a mass audience, to carry away unpracticed ears by the force of its onslaught. It never submits itself to detailed discussion There are many politicians here today whose discourse fits that description."

Oh dear it seems I did misunderstand your post.  Thank you for clearing that up.  I did enjoy getting acquainted with Seneca through my search, so it appears you did me a favor.  I do agree with your thoughts on how today some politician's discourse fits that description. 

"Its object is to sway a mass audience, to carry away unpracticed ears by the force of its onslaught. It never submits itself to detailed discussion"

Do you suppose in today's society the more popular, the more acceptable, regardless of the truth or lack of in it?  Food for thought.  I can't imagine many of today's college students thirsting for Morley, Wadsworth, Lamb, Shakespear etc.  They appear to be caught up in celebrity, fame, youthfulness etc.  Things that fade and are not lasting.  Oh dear forgive me for my melancholy moment.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Traude and Nancy, I’m glad you got your books.  Marj, once you start, you won’t want to put it down.

Carolyn, you know the saying – beg, borrow, or steal, but get that book.  Hang on to your “Dark Poet.”  He actually let you jump the line?  Wow.  I don’t think that would happen here.

Gum, I think I must have missed something.  What is a ‘tame librarian’ as opposed to an ‘untamed (wild?) one?

I’m sorry to hear about the demise of the Sunday in-print Book World.  I always enjoy it, either off or on line, and would usually bring the latest copy home with me after a visit to DC.  But, since my local newspaper is so PUNY and BIASED and good for little,  I do most of my book review (and newpaper) reading online anyway.  Pearson, you were out in the snow in your bathrobe?  Well, I guess it's worth it for the Washington Post.

The sun is coming out, the temp is above freezing, so I am going to make an attempt to get out of my driveway and on to the library to inquire about Bunting’s Model Occupation.

Janice and Steph, stick with us, you’ll get your books eventually and will be able to jump right in.

Island at War, disc 1 arrived yesterday, so I’m looking forward to watching it this weekend.

kiwilady

Pedln as I have missed out on so many books for our discussions I think he took pity on me when he saw my crestfallen face once again! I don't think my jumping the queue will be a regular occurance!

JoanK

• BooksDL
GUMTREE: "to carry away unpracticed ears by the force of its onslaught"

How perfect!!

I wish I had been the one to mention Senaca, but I never read him. Now I must!

JoanK

• BooksDL
When I lived in Maryland, the local Borders bookstore was the meetingplace for some of us "old fogeys". We would go there, pick out some likely books, and head for the coffee shop. Someone we knew was always there or would show up. We would spend a leisurely afternoon, drinking coffee, comparing our books, talking, or reading companionably.

One of the first things I did when I got here was head for the local Borders. It was like Grand Central Station with all the hustle and bustle. Sigh.

Apparently, there is a local bookstore with the same coffeeshop atmosphere. But I'm told it's not wheelchair accessable.

bellamarie

JoanK..."One of the first things I did when I got here was head for the local Borders. It was like Grand Central Station with all the hustle and bustle. Sigh."

I must say your words remind me of my very favorite movie of all times, "You've Got Mail".  I watch it every Oct because the movie begins in that season.  I still cry when she hestitates for a last look around and then closes the door because the HUGE FOX bookstore around the corner has put her out of business.  It is much like that in our city.  Barnes and Noble and Thackary's was our little (imagine that) book store to gather and just enjoy at leisure.  Borders opened up in the Mall across the street, is very large and full of people everywhere.  Thackary's has closed and I will not be the least bit surprised if in the near future Barnes & Noble will leave us.  You might think about calling that nearby bookstore and inquire about making it wheelchair accessible. 

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
Bellamarie, "You've Got Mail" is also one of my very favorite movies of all times.
I'm now #6 on the reserve list for "Guernsey".  But I'll be following the discussion.

JudeS

Hi Carolyn,
I too have a dark young man in my library who interests himself in the books I order.  But mine has very long straight hair, parted in the middle and looks like an Indian warrior (a gentle one to be sure).
When I went into inquire about The GPPSLS book he actually went into the stock room and went through all the books waiting to go on the reserve shelf until he found mine.  A very sour faced librarian came out and told me "there is a young man searching for your book so don't depart"  then she sniffed at me and went away.
I would never have thought to impart this story without you bringing your Librarian to the fore.  I have told "my young man" about the Seniornet book Club and he was thrilled by the idea that it existed.
Hope other folks don't mind this aside or maybe it will encourage you to find your own "Dark Library Hero".

JudeSK

kiwilady

I would love it if we could get some young people to join in our book discussions. I am sure they would enjoy the very good discussions we do have.

Carolyn

JoanR

My book came yesterday from Amazon so I promptly returned the large print library copy in case anyone has reserved it.  I read a little too far before I stopped myself! Now I will fill in the time with The Book of Ebenezer Le Page which also came.
I notice in the front of our book that the island of Jersey is even closer to France, wonder why the Germans chose Guernsey.

MarjV - I grew up on a farm too and we had a herd of Jersey cows - such lovely almost deer-like faces unlike other cows and their milk was ultra-rich.  We children were sheltered from the harsh realities of farm life so I tend to look back on it with much nostalgia.  In my heart, though, I knew that when all the baby bull calves were taken away, nothing good was going to happen to them.

We have been watching "Island at War" - our library owns it.   I saw it years ago but it's worth seeing again now that we have the book to go with it.
See you all tomorrow!!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Barbi...just turned the page of my calendar...just as you said, tomorrow is Feb. 1!

I think we are all as well-prepared and ready for this, as anyone could ever be!  I've got my loin of pork in the fridge, seasoned and ready for tomorrow's main meal.  Too bad I didn't get around to another potato peel pie to go with it!

FlaJean
, have you read Charles Lamb's essay on roast pig?  Look in the heading for a link to his essays - scroll to his "Dissertation upon Roast Pig.  Be sure to let us know when your book arrives.  Evelyn, be sure to read that one too!

Markov, Joan R - did you ever eat one of those "cute" suckling piglets?  I hear that's the only way to go...

It pays to get to know your librarians, doesn't it?  I miss the small book shops too - all going out of business bowing to the large chains.  And now we hear even those are in financial trouble - like Borders.  The library becomes more and more important.

JoanR, the Germans did occupy Jersey - all the channel islands starting in 1940 when France fell, not wanting the British to occupy the islands, militarily.
Pedln, keep in mind that "Islands at War" (Guernsey and Jersey) was filmed on the Isle of Man, not Guernsey - just in case you plan to look for some local color.  By the way, does anyone know whether the author, Mary Ann Shaffer, spent time on the Guernsey islands?

Pat has just opened the door to our February Book Club Online Discussion - let's see who will be the first to find us, Pedln -