Author Topic: Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ~ Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows  (Read 44737 times)

Deems

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

The year is 1946.  Juliet Aston, a writer looking for her next book subject, finds herself "gloomier than she ever was during the war."  Quite out of the blue she finds her subject, one  that will change her life, with the arrival of a letter from a member of a book club in Guernsey, a British Channel island occupied by the Nazis during the war.
Imagine a book club in a place where there is not a single book store! This is exactly what Mary Ann Shaffer and her niece, Annie Barrows have done as they draw us into  the engaging relationship betweeen Juliet Aston and the  Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.  Perhaps their story explains the popularity of book clubs everywhere.

Discussion Schedule:

Feb. 1-7   *Letters -- January 8, 1946 - March 1, 1946
Feb. 8-14    *Letters -- March 2, 1946 - May 13, 1946
Feb. 15-21   *Letters -- May 14, 1946 - July 15, 1946
Feb. 22-28     *Letters -- July 17, 1946 - Sept. 17, 1946

Topics for Pre-discussion
1.  Have you ever read or heard about Guernsey and the Nazi occupation during WWII?
2.  How many novels have you read that were based on  correspondance between fictional characters?   
     Do you think this is an easy feat for a writer?
3.  What is the special relationship beteen the two authors of this book?
4.  This is also a novel about books.  What novels have you read that introduced you to other books?
5.  Can you locate one of Charles Lamb's essays and tell us about it here?
6.  Potato peel pie?  Can you share a recipe?

Related Links: Author's Biography; Visit Guernsey ;   A history of Guernsey during the German Occupation 1940 - 1941. ; Charles Lamb - Selected Essays

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and Pedln

pedln--No time off except for Presidents' Day until Spring Break in March.  But now that I read the book is available on Kindle. . . . .maybe.  Not much time to do all the reading I need to do.  But maybe.  I really would like to join in.  Will take a look by getting the Kindle sample. 

JoanP--good idea to go by letters instead of pages.  No pages in Kindle version.

I'm currently a little more than halfway through Obama's Dreams from My Father.  Really enjoying it.  I meant to read it last summer but got busy with a number of books on Shakespeare, preparing for the fall course. 

OK--Maryland is officially socked in (Maine expression about fog).  I can't wirelessly connect to Kindle.  Bummer.  Will try again later.  I even went to the second floor where there are always more bars.

The good news is that there are cardinals at the feeder.  And finches.  And a sparrow or two.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
I can't read hard cover books Joan so I have to wait until they come out in paper back. hehe

'You will find out when you get old that many things ache. I believe its caused by Art

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
The good news is that there are cardinals at the feeder.  And finches.  And a sparrow or two.
  from Deems

"Oh there's a reason the bird can sing --
On the darkest day he knows there's spring"
[/b][/color]

I've been hunting all over Google for that and they are just trying to be too helpful.

Bellemarie, you are a smart one.   :D   Glad you got your copy, and Kidsal, too.

I've been indulging myself with a reread of the first section, this time just reading the Juliet/Sidney/Sophie letters first, and then the Guernsey correspondences.  Now I'm going to go look for "Tight Little Island" and "Whiskey Galore."  "Island at War" is on its way.  No use to check on the Model Occupation inter-library loan 'cause I can't get out of my driveway to go get it anyway.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Waiting for the temps to go up a little to melt the ice so I can get the car out. Pedln, it sounds as if you didn't lose power, as feared.    We got first the snow and then a coat of ice on top of it.  I slipped on a snow bank trying to retrieve the newspaper this morning - not the sidewalk, thank goodness.  Nothing broke, no harm done except my pride - realizing how ridiculous I looked out there in my bathrobe on my belly swimming to get to the paper.  Had to have that Sudoku with morning coffee!

Maryal, I received a new squirrel proof bird feeder as a gift.  It sat here by the back door waiting to be assembled.  I thought I should get it outside so the poor birds would be able to eat today - and found I had no more seed.  So if I can get the car out, I'll definitely get some bird seed - unless the shelves are bare.

Judy, paperbacks are always good for discussions...economically and now it sees for other reasons too.  Know that the runner up to Guernsey, the Elegance of the Hedgehog IS in paperback.  It has become extremely popular here too...might be a good idea to get on a library hold list...

JoanR -  the large print books probably don't have as long a wait list - others aren't as smart as you are!  Have the rest of you tried that? The large print book?

Babi - Seneca's essays, no less.  Let us hear, let us hear all about them!!!  Bellamarie - thank you so much for sharing from Lamb's letters with us. And thanks for the Gutenberg link to his letters. The man had a tragic life I see from reading some of his biography.  Did you know Mary Lamb was his sister...who stabbed their mother?  Talk about traumatic!

I searched for the site of his essays that I put somewhere on my computer the other day - but this one is good too. Charles Lamb - Selected Essays  He has written so much more than I had realized.  If you only have time to read one of the essays, I recommend "A Dissertation upon Roast Pig" for reasons that will be revealed next week.

Those who have started, note that next week we will be discussing only
 up to and including the letter dated March 1.
  If you don't sit on your eyeballs as JoanK is doing - and read beyond, you will need to be very, very careful not to post on any letters beyond that'.  You don't want to be a spoiler for anyone who has not read beyond that, I know.

Stay  safe - I think the storm has past - except for those in the Northeast who are getting it now as we speak. Traude, how are you doing in New England?

bellamarie

JoanP.."If you only have time to read one of the essays, I recommend "A Dissertation upon Roast Pig" for reasons that will be revealed next week."

You piqued my interest and so of course I had to read this.  It was quite amusing to me.  Alas! Roast pig. Imagine that!  I can't wait to see how it will fit in with our first letters next week in GLAPPPS.  Thank you for recommending it.  Yes, it appears Charles Lamb did indeed have a tragic life.  Imagine your sister going mad and stabbing your mother.  Yet, she was able to assist him in writing.  He expressed such genuine love for her.  I was touched reading how he was able to imagine his mother in heaven still caring for them with forgiveness.  My sense from reading his letters is that he was a charitable and Christian man.

JoanP..."We got first the snow and then a coat of ice on top of it.  I slipped on a snow bank trying to retrieve the newspaper this morning - not the sidewalk, thank goodness.  Nothing broke, no harm done except my pride - realizing how ridiculous I looked out there in my bathrobe on my belly swimming to get to the paper.  Had to have that Sudoku with morning coffee!"

I am so happy to hear nothing was broken other than your pride.  Forgive me if I amuse myself with a bit of giggle imagining you on your belly swimming to get the paper.  :o  Seems our folly gets the better of our logic at times.  Do take care.

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Aberlaine

Our storm began last night and is just about over.   We got about 6" of snow with a bit of ice in between.  I had to get to the doctor this afternoon because three days ago I slipped and fell on the ice, landing on my bottom and my knees (left one first) slamming into the sidewalk.  I babied them for a few days then tried walking my dog yesterday.  Big mistake!  I must have injured my left knee again because today I can barely stand on it.  The doc said no broken bones, but this time stay off of the leg for more than a day!   :(

I ordered a used copy from Amazon a week ago today.  No sign of it yet.  But I've already read the book, so I'm rereading it to pick up all the stuff I missed the first time around (with the help of all you lovely people).  What a pleasure to be able to do that.  There are many books I'd like to reread, but just don't have the time.  You know, all those unread books calling your name. 

Nancy

PatH

• BooksDL
Bellamarie: "Seems our folly gets the better of our logic at times".

Please--don't forget the pain of a Sudoku addict threatened with no new puzzle to work.

I envy you reading Jane Austen for the first time.  Probably the best one to start with is "Pride and Prejudice" and the worst one to start with is "Mansfield Park".

nlhome

I've read the book already, it was a library book, but now I find I may be gone, no computer access, for 3 weeks. So if I don't participate in the discussion, it's not because I don't want to.

I wish I had time to run to the library before leaving...lots of ideas for books to read.

N

Janice

I still hope to get the book and join in the discussion.  I have one more store to check and will be looking there tomorrow.  May also just lurk too.

JudeS

Hi-
I jumped in today and your interesting pre discussion led me to spend some time reading about Guernsey and then to an article on "Wiki." I entered" Occupation of the Channel Islands during WW 2."  At the end of the fascinating  article  they give a list of movies and TV dramas and a list of books and even a stage play on the subject. So here are some of them :
A&E's Night of the Fox (1990) set in Guernsey  shortly before D-Day
ITV's Island at War (Shown as part of PBS Masterpiece Theatre)
The Film "The Others" starring Nicole Kidman -set in Jersey just after the occupation
A stage play "Dame of Sark" set during the German ocupation

Some of the books:
Higgins, Jack (1970) A Game for Heroes
Binding,Tim (1999) Island Madness
Walters, Guy (2005) The Occupation

I haven't gotten our book yet but when I ordered it from the library the librarian promised to get it for me in time for the
start of the discussion.

JudeS

PatH

• BooksDL
Hi, Jude, good to see you here.

Ella Gibbons

You might (or not) be interested in the Columbus Metropolitan Library reply when I typed in an inquiry about this book title:

The system owns 174 copies of this title. There are currently 130 requests for this item.

The Large Print copy has quite a few requests also.

Babi

Thanks for that listing, JUDE.  I see a couple of things that look especially interesting.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Jude, so glad you jumped in, and thank you for listing all titles.  Great.

Ella, I really applaud your library for having so many copies of a very popular book.  Does it always do this when a title this popular comes along?  I wonder if some of them are CDs.  When I looked at my daughter’s Seattle library, they had a lot of audio books.  I am so happy for Annie Barrows and only wish that Mary Ann Shaffer had lived to see her book take off like this.

Nancy
, you take care with the knee.  I think you’ll find the rereading a real treat, especially with a book like this where there are soooo many characters.  It’s like getting better acquainted with new friends.

I see that our local newscarrier has been able to get by – there are two papers out there, should be three, so guess I’ll have to bundle up and pull on the boots.  There’s just one lane plowed on my dead-end street, so the carrier’s arm couldn’t get those papers too close to the house.  Fortunately, I'm well-supplied with Sudoku.  A day of withdrawal would probably be a good thing.

N, wherever you’re going, I hope you’ll have a good time.  Join us when you can. 

Stay warm and be careful, everyone

EvelynMC

I just finished the assigned reading for next week.  And... it was sooo hard to stop.  I'm absolutely hooked. I'm going to read some of the background material now, and of course look at something by Charles Lamb.

This is going to be a good discussion!

Evelyn

JoanK

• BooksDL
GUMTREE: I was able to celebrate Australia day witrh you in spirit, since I watched the Australian Open all day (or rather, all night -- it's thrown my sleep pattern completely out of wack). What terrible heat!! (140+F on the tennis courts) Do you have it where you are? All us Yanks are complaining about the terrible ice and snow, and you haven't said a word.

I don't get either here in California, but I was in a minor earthquake the other day. There's always something!

I laughed just remembering Lamb's roast pig -- I still remember it from childhood. have to go back and reread it!

I rented "Whiskey Galore" from Netflix some time ago. The probablt still have it. The other titles are unfamiliar. Thank you, JUDE for listing them.

mabel1015j

I got my book from the library.

The only  things i know about "Guernsey" is their cows - my sister and BIL had gurensey cows on their dairy farm, so much prettier than the Holsteins............and, having lived in New Jersey for 40 years and knowing it was named for one of the "channel" islands, i also knew that the guernsey cows came from one of the channel islands. ..........however, after reading all the links, I did have a little click somewhere in the back of my mind about the Nazis occupying islands close to the UK and their concern about that. Maybe in reading something about Churchill's conversations or musings.

JoanP - my college Shakespeare class went to the Folger Library in 1962/3 from Shippensburg State College, now Shippensburg Universtity. I think i remember it being very gothic and beautiful?.........................jean

JudeS

As promised, my librarian got me the book on time by sending out notices to four other libraries for me.
Today I immediately started reading and got about 20 pages into the book . Now I understand why you were all talking about Charles Lamb and books based on letters.  It seemed quite a conundrum why those discussions were going on before I started reading the novel.

While meandering on the  Google there were many interesting facts I read about Guernsey.  Some that stand out:

Guernsey has its own monetary system and its own stamps.  You can use British pounds in Guernsey but you can't use Guernsey  money in England.

It is an offshore Tax haven for Banks.

Guernsey has its own constitution (since 1561) that safeguards its Judicial, Economic and Administrative autonomy.

In the 1800s Guernsey's own Navy was so substantial and successful in plundering American and French vessels that Westminster declared it to be one of the great Naval Powers of the world.

OK-enough of my trivia.  From here on in I will get into Literary mode and try to join in  the general discussion.

JuudeS

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Oh Jude, please don't stop - what you are calling "trivia" is not really, it's ...enrichment.  That's all we are doing here in the days before the book discussion gets started.  Trying hard not to give anything away, but getting ready to understand the references when they are mentioned in the novel.  So very glad you have joined us!  And happy you and Jean got your books just in time.

Jean, I worked at the Folger for many years - a beautiful place- a beautiful place to work.  Every day at 3 pm, the whole place came to a halt and went down to the tea room for...tea.  I loved it.  Glad you were able to visit.  I grew up in New Jersey - Cranford, in Union County.  Have you ever visited?

JoanK -  an earthquake?  How high  on the Richter scale?  I'd forgotten the roast pig story until reminded of it when reading the book.  The  link to Charles Lamb's essays is in the heading so you can find it easily to reread...

Janice, we're all rooting for you to find that elusive copy of the book.  By the way, did you get on a library hold list for large print books?  " More than one way to peel a potato."   Joan R ..how many ways can you peel a potato?  Actually, when I made my potato peel pie I used my grater to peel the potatos for the pie shell.  It worked very well.

I know how just how hard it is to stop reading, Evelyn.

"N" - we'll leave the light on for you.  Be sure to come back and tell us all about your trip.  You should return in time for the last week of the discussion if I am figuring that right.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
JoanP, re history of the Guernseys :

It is definitely possible that some residents of the Guernsey islands could trace their ancestry back to centuries long past. According to what is known from their history there is reason to conclude the islands were untouched by the Thirty Years' War,  fought in several stages from 1618 to 1648, when mercenary armies ravaged central Europe from Sweden through Germany into Bohemia in the east and south into Italy,  criss-crossing several times.  Entire regions were destroyed and the populations of Germany and Bohemia (now the Czech republic)  severely decimated.

For European genealogists, the Thirty Years' War is a crucial stumbling  block and often the end of the search.

Gumtree

GUMTREE: I was able to celebrate Australia day witrh you in spirit, since I watched the Australian Open all day (or rather, all night -- it's thrown my sleep pattern completely out of wack). What terrible heat!! (140+F on the tennis courts) Do you have it where you are? All us Yanks are complaining about the terrible ice and snow, and you haven't said a word.

JoanK Yes, the tennis courts get very hot underfoot and it has  been warm in Melbourne -  here in Perth too - but then it is high summer.  Believe me I've noticed the chat about ice and snow and wonder how you cope  - I don't say anything much online because I have no real experience of the conditions - BUT I do care and worry about everyone's safety. I frequently report to DH that 'so-and-so is snowed in' or that ' such-and-such a place has had 5" of snow' . We have a very mild winter here, rarely need extra clothing other than a sweater or jacket but summer can be a little trying. Will it be the 'Fed' or Rafa to win the Open?

Now, back to the Potato Pies - I read the book before Xmas but must re-read our assignment this evening. It certainly is a 'book about books'  Someone (sorry, I didn't make a note) mentioned Seneca which immediately brought this  line from him back into my mind after aeons.

Language, moreover,  which devotes its attention to truth ought to be plain and unadorned Seneca: Letters from a Stoic

I've spent an hour or so looking for the exact wording. It had a profound effect on me long years ago though it's easy to see I've forgotten that lesson.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

bellamarie

Gumtree.."Language, moreover,  which devotes its attention to truth ought to be plain and unadorned Seneca: Letters from a Stoic

I like this particular quote from Christopher Morley

"The real purpose of books is to trap the mind into doing its own thinking."

I love his essay titled...... On visiting bookshops
http://essays.quotidiana.org/morley/visiting_bookshops/

I believe each of us can agree this is exactly what books do for us.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

MarjV

JoanK - Netflix does not have "Whiskey........" on its listing - nor the alternate title.

OOOOOOOOOOPS - it is availble - I had to spell Whisky without the 'e'/   No wonder I couldn't find it.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Bellamarie, thanks for the link to Christopher Morley’s essay.  I liked his comment about book covers filled with superlatives:   
We choose our dinner not by the wrappers, but by the veining and gristle of the meat within.

And it looks like Seneca feels that way too, Gum.

bellamarie

pendln,  I could not stop reading Chistopher Morley's essay, I enjoyed it so much.  He has managed to capture the true feelings I have about browsing and reading in Borders, Books A Milion and Barnes & Noble.  I suppose all us advid book lovers can agree with his insights.  What wonderful quotes he has!

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
I have read the book(per library) and truly enjoyed it.  I have it until Feb 9 and also the audio book until the 19. I can just listen to each section proposed above and hope to have a better commentary by doing it that way. Am busy reading all of the links.  See you all on Feb 1st.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanK

• BooksDL
Bellemarie: I love the Morley essay. I could quote half of it, but I especially love this:

"There are some knightly souls who even go so far as to make their visits to bookshops a kind of chivalrous errantry at large. They go in not because they need any certain volume, but because they feel that there may be some book that needs them"

Have you ever woken up and felt "I have to go to the bookstore-- there's a book there waiting for me". No idea what it is, but you'll know it when you see it.

Babi

I can't say I've ever woken up feeling that there is a book calling to me, JoanK.
But I do know I get slightly panicky when I realize I've finished my last book and have nothing to read until the library opens on Monday.  I usually go prowl through my  daughter's bookshelves, to see if there's anything there I've missed. Or go back to one of my old classics and start re-reading that.  But go all day without anything to to read?!  Horrors!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

kiwilady

Boy am I lucky! The librarian I call "The Dark Poet' ( who is an Academic young man with a brooding countenance and lock of dark hair falling over his forehead reminding me of the Poet Byron)  pushed me up the list because of this discussion and my book is waiting for me to pick up tomorrow. There were about 30 ( out of city) paying borrowers before me but somehow or other he got me the book! It annoys me the other cities do not have such a wonderful library service and those of us who live here sometimes have to wait for our books because people have got in from other cities before us on the waiting list. I will have to be especially nice to "The Dark Poet" when I go in tomorrow.

I am looking forward to joining you. I had really given up hope and was going to come in and tell you today that I would have to pass this discussion by.

Carolyn

Deems

Carolyn--How lucky you are to have such an interesting person as "The Dark Poet" at your library.  All our library people are about my age (well, some are younger) and not a Byron like fellow to be seen.  Except maybe one of those folks at the computers.  We get an odd assortment of people using the computers. 

Sad news today--In February the Washington Post will stop publishing "Book World" as a separate item in the Sunday newspaper.  It will continue to be available online.  And book reviews will still be published, and I don't think they've fired anyone yet, but I will miss it.  A sign of the times, I fear.

PatH

• BooksDL
I can't say I've ever woken up feeling that there is a book calling to me, JoanK.

Gee, I have.  Must be coincidence that JoanK and I sometimes think alike.

That's a super essay.

kiwilady

Our central library has some very interesting people."The Dark Poet " is highly qualified as an academic but I believe he gave up working in the city to be home to spend more time with his young family. He loves literature and I have had some interesting conversations with him. As my daughter is a librarian I guess I find out a bit more about the librarians backgrounds. Our Central library is jointly owned by the city and Unitech. The Unitech campus is right next door to the library.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Maryal, I read about that.  The Book World is something I keep around all week,  (along with the Samarai Sudoku.)  Book World will be delivered this weekend though, I understand.   Aren't we lucky we have online access?    The article I read said that there willcontinue to  be book news included in the Style section of the Post - just not as extensive as it has been.  Michael Dirda?  Please, don't let him go!

Kidsal - talk about luck!  I'll bet Dark Poet bumped you up on the list to get you to stop bugging him.  How many of you are still without a book?  Janice?

Annie, you bring so much to these discussions with all your delving into the historical.  So happy you will be joining us!

Gum - yes, this is a  'book about books'   - I think we need to keep a repository of the memorable quotes that come from the book - and from this discussion.  I promise to try, but already am overwhelmed - and the discussion hasn't even begun yet!  I love this one -
"The real purpose of books is to trap the mind into doing its own thinking."

It seems this little book has already begun to trap us.

PatH

• BooksDL
Deems, your post about the Post popped up as I was writing.  Yes, they are now going to scatter the reviews around the the daily papers, where you will have to hunt for them and maybe miss them.  At least Johnathan Yardley and the other guy (can't think of his name at the moment) will still be around (for now).  I don't want to read the paper online, I want to read it at the breakfast table with my coffee and toast.  Even if I got a laptop to connect wirelessly, it wouldn't be as good.  And if I then carried the laptop off to a smaller room to continue my reading, it would be both ludicrous and hazardous to the laptop.

Grumble.

PatH

• BooksDL
Dirda--that's the other name.  thanx, JoanP.

PatH

• BooksDL
Carolyn, JoanK lives around the corner from a miniscule library branch, with a similarly helpful, though not picturesque librarian.  His first love is science fiction, which doesn't do her any good, but I've gotten good hints from him when visiting her.

JoanK

• BooksDL
Yes, my local library is the smallest I've ever seen, but also the friendliest. Their major flaw: they are closed on Fridays!! I'm always forgetting that, and planning to go there then. Today, my daughter called up with this wonderful plan to bring the grandkids over and go to my library. I only remembered at the last minute that they are closed. RATS!

Aberlaine

I received my book in the mail yesterday and have begun my rereading.  Oh, what fun!!

Nancy

bellamarie

Oh my, I finished reading up to March 1st and was so tempted to go further but restrained my urge.  I am already feeling like I know these people personally.  Yes, the Pig Roast was essential to our first letters to read, so glad I took the time to read it.

JoanK...Yes, I found myself wanting to remember so many of Morley's quotes in his essay "On Visiting Bookshops" 

GUMTREE:

JoanK Someone (sorry, I didn't make a note) mentioned Seneca which immediately brought this  line from him back into my mind after aeons.

Language, moreover,  which devotes its attention to truth ought to be plain and unadorned Seneca: Letters from a Stoic

I've spent an hour or so looking for the exact wording. It had a profound effect on me long years ago though it's easy to see I've forgotten that lesson.

Gumtree..I spent a very long time searching for your quote last night, hoping to surprise you with it today.  I am sorry to say I had no luck, but certainly got very familiar with Seneca.  I am truly amazed at how many auhors and books are mentioned in this book.  I am so excited because until now, I would never have given myself this special treat to read so many superb writers.  Can't wait to begin discussing this book, I can barely contain myself.  I have written a few children books and had a couple of poems published and I feel like Juliet and I have much in common.  Mum is the word til Feb. 1.

Gumtree

Have read Lamb's 'Burnt Pig essay - such fun. It certainly points up the fact that we will always happily abandon any old custom provided the new is to our liking.

As for Morley's essay - I'm sure the bookshops send out tentacles to catch me when I'm passing by without any intention of entering - I go in just to browse for a few minutes and then just as I'm leaving...there it is, a book (or two) crying out for me to take it home.

Kiwilady Treasure your Dark Poet. For years I had a  'tame librarian' who went to great lengths to look after my needs. He too was well versed academically and had won awards such as 'Young Librarian of the Year' and 'Innovative Librarianship' etc He would see a new book in my area of interest and place me at head of the queue just in case I wanted to see it - in my pre-computer days he researched stuff for me in his own time and on occasion sought my opinion. We had him for several years as a single man, saw him married and then as a father....but then his career moved on and we lost him to bigger things. He always made me feel that I was the most important reader he had - but of course I was only one of many who felt that way.
My relationship with his successors has been great but he was the best librarian I ever met. Happily I run into him sometimes and he buys me coffee and we talk about 'the good old days'  :D

Bellamarie Sorry, I must have misled you - the sentence I quoted is the actual wording -at least as translated by Robin Campbell. It comes in Seneca's Letters From a Stoic and is Letter XL in which he denigrates the voluble, garrulous orator and praises the more restrained delivery. He says the more 'popular' garrulous style has nothing to do with truth. Its object is to sway a mass audience, to carry away unpracticed ears by the force of its onslaught. It never submits itself to detailed discussion There are many politicians here today whose discourse fits that description.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson