Author Topic: Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin  (Read 48370 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Ursula Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness

A classic, groundbreaking science fiction novel, which explores issues of gender role, honor, trust and suspicion, against a background of survival in a cruelly harsh wintry climate.

Discussion schedule:
Oct 1-7       Ch 1-6
Oct 8-14     Ch 7-12
Oct 15-21   Ch 13-17
Oct 22-28   Ch 18-20; afterword and appendices for those who have them. Link to afterword.
Oct 29-31   Thoughts about anything in the book or Le Guin's other works

Questions for week 4 (October 22-28)

1. Traveling on the ice and coping with the weather is described in great detail here. How did this affect you?

2. In this section, Ai feels that he finally truly sees Estraven. What does he see?

3. Why does Ai want to teach Estraven mindspeak? When Estraven learns to mindspeak, why does he hear Ai speak with the voice of his dead brother?

4. Why do you think that the Ekumen sends an envoy alone to an alien planet?

5. Why does Estraven ski into range of the border guards?

6. What is Ai's reaction on seeing his fellow envoys again?

7. What did Ai want to accomplish by going to Estre?

8. Was the ending satisfactory?

9. What are your thoughts about the controversy regarding the use of masculine pronouns for the Gethens and the discussion/examples in the afterword and appendices?

Previous Discussion Questions

Ursula Le Guin website

Discussion Leaders:  PatH and Marcie

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin Pre-Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:09:05 AM »
Welcome, everyone!  I hope you'll join us to talk about this remarkable book.  It was a good read when I first read it 30 years ago, and it's still a good read.  Come in, say hi so we know you're with us, and we can chat a little while we wait for the discussion to begin.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:37 AM »
Welcome everyone! I too found this a remarkable book. It made a great impression on me when I first read it. I'll enjoy talking about it with everyone in October.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:17:33 PM »
Maybe I'll be the only one here who has never read Ursula Le Guin - but I am happy to be in the company of those of you who have.  I'm not familiar with the title of this book, but have been meaning to try one of Le Guin's books for a number of years.  Remember Karen Joy Fowler's "The Jane Austen Book Club?"  She talked about the author quite a bit and my interest was piqued.  It took this group to finally get me into it. 

I'm wondering if it resembles a fairy tale...

Frybabe

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
I'll be here.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
Joan and Frybabe. I'm so glad you both will be joining this discussion.

Ursula Le Guin does write some stories that I'd say are similar to fairy tales but I don't remember Left Hand of Darkness as one of those. I haven't read it in a while so I'll have to think about that while reading it again.

salan

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 06:44:14 PM »
I have my book and will be joining you.  I've never read Ursula, but have been meaning to for several years.  My interest was piqued again after watching the Jane Austen Book Club.  I love that movie!
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »
My favorite LeGuin so far is The Lathe of Heaven. There is another one that I liked, but I don't remember the name and my book seems to have gone into hiding. I've read some of the Earthsea stories, but as well written as they were, I couldn't get into the story line.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:29:34 PM »
Welcome, Salan. I'm glad that both you and JoanP were drawn to Ursula Le Guin through the Jane Austen Book Club.

Frybabe, I really like The Lathe of Heaven too. Have you seen the television adaptation?

The following is from wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lathe_of_Heaven

Everyone: Don't read the plot summary on that page if you plan on reading the The Lathe of Heaven!

An adaptation entitled The Lathe of Heaven produced by the public television station WNET, and directed by David Loxton and Fred Barzyk, was released in 1980. It was PBS's first direct-to-TV film production and was produced with a budget of $ 250 000. Generally faithful to the novel, it stars Bruce Davison as George Orr, Kevin Conway as William Haber, and Margaret Avery  as Heather LeLache. Ursula K. Le Guin herself was heavily involved in the production of the 1980 adaptation, and has several times expressed her satisfaction with it.[3][9]

PBS' rights to rebroadcast the film expired in 1988, and it became the most-requested program in PBS history. Fans were extremely critical of WNET's supposed "warehousing" of the film, but the budgetary barriers to rebroadcast were high: the station needed to pay for and clear rights with all participants in the original program; negotiate a special agreement with the composer of the film's score; and deal with the Beatles recording excerpted in the original soundtrack, "With a Little Help from My Friends", which is an integral plot point in both the novel and the film. A cover version replaces the Beatles' own recording in the home video release.

The home video release is remastered from a video tape of the original broadcast; PBS, thinking the rights issues would dog the production forever, did not save a copy of the production in their archives.

A second adaptation was released in 2002 and retitled Lathe of Heaven. Produced for the A&E Network and directed by Philip Haas, the film starred James Caan, Lukas Haas, and Lisa Bonet. The 2002 adaptation discards a significant portion of the plot, some essential characters, and much of the philosophical underpinnings of the book and the original PBS production. Ursula K. Le Guin disapproved of the A&E production, and stated that she found it "misguided and uninteresting".[9]

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 01:23:25 AM »
Found that I have this book on my book shelf so count me in!

Steph

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 06:04:43 AM »
I am in.. Cant find a copy in my home library, will try ebooks or possibly my swap club. I read it and loved it years and years ago. Have forgotten it now.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
Welcome, JoanP, Frybabe, Sally, Kidsal, and Steph!  We're getting a stellar crew here.

JoanP, I don't think "Left Hand" is very fairy-tale like, but there is a journey through icy mountains that has a surreal quality to it.  The Earthsea trilogy (more than 3 books) is pretty mythic.

It's interesting that "The Jane Austen Book Club" led several of you to try this book.  Most of you weren't here when we discussed Fowler's book on the old site.  Fowler joined in, to good effect, and when she was in town for a book signing, she had tea with JoanP, Deems and her daughter, and me.  She was most gracious and friendly, chatting with us for a long time about everything under the sun.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 10:26:22 AM »
"The Lathe of Heaven" is my favorite book too.  Marcie, I didn't know about the PBS production.  Netflix has it!  It's now in my queue.

Frybabe, tell us more about the book you liked, and maybe someone will recognize it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:11:11 AM »
Kidsal and Steph! It's great that you'll be joining us.

If I recall correctly, the PBS production of The Lathe of Heaven has a sort of "old tv" kind of feel to it. Not the kind of crisp production values we have today for many films. I still found it very interesting.

mrssherlock

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 12:13:49 PM »
Revisiting these titles, favorites from so long ago, is like flashing back to one of my other lives.  (Mom, PTA, Boy and Girl Scouts, Little League, station wagon.) Usually my life isn't a feature of my memories of a particular book but I'm feeling a strong sense of deja vu. Not specifics, just the flavor.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 12:55:57 PM »
mrssherlock, I too feel that these books bring back a certain atmosphere.  The setting for The Lathe of Heaven is Portland, Oregon so it might be doubly interesting to you. I'm glad that you're joining us for The Left Hand of Darkness.

Frybabe

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »
The Dispossessed, that's the title of the other book. LeGuin wrote two short stories that were apparently the precursers to the Earthsea series. It turns out that I only read part of the first story. My bookmark is still where I left it years ago. I'll be darned if I remember why I never finished the book. (The Wind's Twelve Quarters is composed of short stories.

I remember seeing the PBS production. It seemed so fantastic. I didn't understand some of it, which is why I bought the book. The book explained a lot I missed from the production.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »
Oh, yes, Frybabe. I recall reading The Dispossed but I'm vague on the details. Wikipedia says:

"The Dispossessed: An Ambiguous Utopia is a 1974 utopian science fiction novel by Ursula K. Le Guin, set in the same fictional universe as that of The Left Hand of Darkness (the Hainish Cycle). The book won the Nebula Award in 1974,[1] both the Hugo and Locus Awards in 1975,[2] and received a nomination for the John W. Campbell Memorial Award in 1975.[2] It is also notable for achieving a degree of literary recognition unusual for science fiction works."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dispossessed

Steph

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 06:11:47 AM »
The discussion sounds as if it is going to be fun. Now to get through September, which is not shaping up to be much fun.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 08:46:09 PM »
Steph, I'm sorry that this month is going to be difficult for you. I know you'll get through it. Please check in with us whenever you want to vent or share.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
I remember seeing the PBS production. It seemed so fantastic. I didn't understand some of it, which is why I bought the book. The book explained a lot I missed from the production.

I find that a lot with movies from books that have complicated ideas--the other way, too. I often see a movie and think "I wonder if I would have understood that if I hadn't read the book".

Steph

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2010, 09:37:21 AM »
So many movies if they do a complicated book, leave out the subplots and sometimes that makes for a puzzle.

ursamajor

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 01:01:10 PM »
I'll be joining.  I have asked the library to hold the book for me.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 03:09:55 PM »
Great, ursamajor, I look forward to talking with you.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 09:00:10 PM »
That's great, ursamajor. I'm glad you'll be with us and that you're able to get the book.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2010, 11:27:46 PM »
PatH has been trying to get me to read this book for years. This is the perfect chance-- I'll be joining you once Zeitoun is over. (Now to find the copy that Pat gave me).

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 01:20:24 AM »
Wonderful, JoanK!! I'm very glad that Pat persuaded you to read the book. It will be great to hear your thoughts about it.

Steph

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 05:52:15 AM »
We are really going to have a nice group.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
I agree with you, steph!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »
Marcie, thank you so much for calling my attention to the 1979 PBS version of "The Lathe of Heaven"  I watched it tonight, and I think it's about as good as it can get translating that complicated book to film.  Sure, it shows its age and the visual effects are simplistic, but they really get the spirit of the book.  A lot of detail had to be left out, though.  I'm not sure how it would feel or how much you wouldn't understand if you hadn't already read the book.  If you have read it, the film is a wonderful illustration of it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »
Thanks, PatH, for your endorsement of the 1979-80 PBS version. Ursula Le Guin worked with the producers on that one. I read online that she wasn't pleased with the 2002 A&E remake.

fairanna

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »
WELL I CAN SEE I  AM OUT OF TOUCH I DONT SEEM TO KNOW HOW TO POST  BUT I DID ORDER THE BOOK AND IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO READ AND POST I WILL BE ON HAND IN OCTOBER     ...ANNA

fairanna

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 10:22:53 PM »
WELL I  READ THE OTHER POSTS AND AM GLAD I HAVE NEVER READ THIS BOOK SO I CAN START OUT NEW AND WITH NO MEMORIES TO MESS WITH MY MIND  LOL  I DONATED  400 BOOKS TO MY CHURCH TO SELL AND MY SHELVES HAVE BEEN BARE BUT AM RAPIDLY FILLING THEM UP...NOW IF I CAN JOIN THE DISCUSSIONS EACH MONTH I WILL HAVE MORE BOOKS TO DONATE..LOOKING FORWARD TO THE DISCUSSION SINCE IT IS THE BEST PART OF READING    DISCUSSING WHAT OTHERS THINK AND FEEL AND SHARE  I AM GETTING EXCITED !!!!!!!!!!!ANNA

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 10:49:40 PM »
Anna, I'm so glad to see you back! Your posts have come through very well.

How generous of you to donate 400 books. I hope that you enjoy reading this one. I think it should make for a good discussion. It provides a lot to think about.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2010, 11:19:02 PM »
Hi, Anna!  It's great to see you here.  It's a good book and a great bunch of people, so you're all set to enjoy it.

ursamajor

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 08:11:05 AM »
I donated a lot of books to the Library a while back; they will take anything and put some on the shelves and sell the others at book sales.  What I have left are so old nobody would buy them - books from my family and my husband's family.  Now if I buy a current book I try to donate it as soon as I finish it; the library never has enough copies of current popular books.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »
That's a good policy, ursamajor, to donate your books after reading. They certainly can accumulate. Your library is very fortunate.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 03:13:15 PM »
Hey, ANNA! Great to see you here.

Steph

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 06:11:45 AM »
Hi Anna.. glad to hear from you.
I belong to a paperback swap club on line, so most of the books get recycled to that. But I do and have donated a lot of hard backs in the last year. I also donated about a 100 cds..all classical. My husband adored classical and had a huge collection.. I kept the opera, but gave them most of the rest.. The library put them into their collection.. Glad to give someone the joy of listening to them and it makes me smile to remember my Tim working on his stained glass, listening to the music and waving his arms to conduct periodically.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 11:25:19 AM »
Steph, what a beautiful memory you have and how wonderful that you're sharing Tim's love of music with so many others through your CD donation.