Author Topic: Two by Pym ~ November Book Club Online  (Read 79125 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Two by Pym ~ November Book Club Online
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:36:52 PM »

TWO BY BARBARA PYM

Excellent Women

Quartet in Autumn

Coming in November...
British author, Barbara Pym, is often compared by her readers to Jane Austen. She creates a 20th century society with roots in Victorian times - but with  humor, a very dry humor.  Both Pym and Austen were  concerned with the marriage of their heroines,  before they become "spinsters." (Note that  Austen and Pym never married.)   It is said that the primary subject of a novel of manners, or of all comedy, is marriage.  In order to achieve this, Austen must marry off her heroine at the end of the novel.  Will this be the case with Pym?

The first of her two novels, Excellent Women, written in 1952,  considers Mildred Lathbury's decision - either marry  without the romance or risk remaining a spinster.   The woman is 31 years old!  
The second book, Quartet in Autumn, written in 1977, short-listed for the Man Booker prize in 1980, considers four unmarried co-workers,  as they face retirement years, making do with limited resources.   Pym  is fascinated  by the vision of life without emotional attachment and solitude.
There is much to consider and discuss in these two novels.  

Will you try to join us in November for one or both of them?    

For Your Consideration - Some Topics for Pre-Discussion

1. How would you describe Jane Austen's heroines? Was there a "spinster" in the lot?
2. At what age is one considered a spinster?  Is 31 too old or too young?
3. Is the term, "spinster,"  still used today to refer to unmarried women?
4. Do you know women who have never married? Did they  make a deliberate choice not to marry?
5. How do you think a spinster's life and a widow's life differ in later years?

~~~

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP & Pedln (for Quartet in August )

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Two by Pym ~ November Book Club Online Prediscussion
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:16:49 PM »
Welcome to the world of Barbara Pym!

We're planning to do not only one of  Pym's novels, but two! Two weeks on each.   Our readers selected "Excellent Women,"   for discussion - the story of a young woman facing spinsterhood - at the age of 31!  Can someone tell us where this term comes from?  Is it still used to describe women who don't marry?  It sounds like a derogatory term, doesn't it?  Mildred Lathbury risks spinsterhood unless she forgoes romance and simply settles.  Is it worth it?  What will she do?  What would you do?

...  The author is  often compared to Jane Austen, but really she is not.  I have a note somewhere describing Pym's work as "Austen's Persuasion writ backwards." There is no Captain Wentworth, no romantic hero showing up at the end for a happily ever after ending.  In this sense, Pym is more realistic, don't you think?

Spinsterhood is Pym's true area of interest - as is evident in "Quartet in Autumn,"  the story of ageing "spinsters"  as they face retirement and the prospect of living alone.  What I found interesting and believable - these characters continue to look  for love.  Not really surprising, though.
Join us for one or for both books in November - this should be a rewarding and thought-provoking experience.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 11:30:04 AM »
The name Barbara Pym is not unfamiliar to me, but I’ve never read anything by her, so am looking forward to the November discussion.  It’s interesting that 25 years separates these two books. Will the writing styles be different, will Pym show a different perspective on life?  From what I understand, she suffered many setbacks in her writing career, but always pushed on, reminding me of many of those Bruce Frankel wrote about in his book about retirees and post-retirees.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »
Pedln, I am hoping that we hear from some of the Brits - or Australians on the site - to hear what they think of her.  Is she still popular there.  She was quite prolific between 1950 and the 1970's ..  I recently read something about the renewed interest in her work starting in 1977=

In 1977 the most important occasion was the "rediscovery of fiction.  In January of 1977 the London Times Literary Supplement held a mock survey of several literati to inquire whom they held to be the most overrated and undertated authors.  Barbara Pym was the only living writer to be mentionned twice - as underrated.   Following this, her novels were published again and ther reputation continued to grow on both sides of the Atlantic.

I also found that there is a very active Barbara Pym Society - am tempted to join -

About the Barbara Pym society:

"The aims of the Society are to foster the appreciation and wider knowledge of the life and works of Barbara Pym; to secure the preservation of the manuscripts, letters and memorabilia of Barbara Pym in conjunction with the Bodleian Library; to encourage and support publications and theses on Barbara Pym, her life and work; and to provide a programme of literary events and regular communications concerning the work of Barbara Pym."  

I think I'll write to them about our site, what do you think?  Isn't this a "literary event?"

JudeS

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 02:17:22 PM »
This looks very interesting.  I have heard of Pym but never read anything she wrote.  I'll get the books and read them.

The question of spinsterhood or bachelorhood is very interesting.  Since Gay rights and Gay marriage have become more accepted (at least in California) perhaps less people are living alone or never "coupling".

The origin of SPINSTER is  is a woman whose occupation is spinning..Archaic meaning:An unmarried woman of gentle family.
I'm sure there are more meanings that will be revealed.

nlhome

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »
I am interested in participating in this discussion. I have read both books, although I will have to review them, especially Quartet in Autumn...memory, you know.

I did enjoy Excellent Women - I was reminded of some women I knew.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 09:46:33 PM »
Judy, it's great that you will be joining us in this discussion.  I'm glad we are discussing both books...as Pym matures, her consideration of "spinsterhood"  does too.  In Excellent Women, we meet a young woman, not quite set on the idea that she will  never marry, live alone - though she sees it as a real possibility.

Quartet in Autumn - spinsters - bachelors...living alone, solitude is something that they value highly. - But will they choose to live out their years following retirement alone?  Practical matters may contribute to the decision.

nlhome - I would very much like to talk about women we know who live alone - not only spinsters...widows tend to face the same choices they do.  (I'm sure we don't call them "spinsters" today - how shall we refer to them?

bellemere

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:34:26 AM »
I have read most of Barbara's books and enjoyed them all.  Quartet in Autumn will be a pleasure to reread.  We will defininitely need a Brit to de-mystify some of the English culinary delights mentioned, such as "cauliflower cheese" and "fairy cakes" and to justify such practices as eating baked beans on toast for Sunday breakfast!

Gumtree

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
Pym's something of a blast from the past. I've read one or two of Pym's books but not these. I'll try to get them and read along. She was popular here in her 'day' - but I don't hear of her these days which is not to say she's not read. I'll ask my librarian whether her books are in demand and see if she's on the stands at the book sellers.

I'm not a Brit but certainly  will be able to demystify  'cauliflower cheese' and 'fairy cakes' if in fact demystification is required. Can't see that baked beans on toast for breakfast on Sunday (or any other day) needs justification - it's not exactly a luxury   :D
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

salan

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »
My library doesn't have any Barbara Pym books.  I ordered and received "Excellent Women", but not Quartet in Autumn.  So, I will join you for part of the discussion.
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 02:07:11 PM »
Just in from a long weekend with grandkids...

Bellemere, a Pym fan!  Super!  I've got to admit cauliflower cheese  sounds good.  Fairy cakes sound interesting - my granddaughter has a thing going with fairies...tells me she sees them out of the corner of her eye as they jump into flowers. Gum,  I'm not sure about baked beans on toast for breakfast, however.  Will have to go into that - are we talking about Boston brown beans?  Am looking forward to comments from your librarian on Pym.

Sally, I think that once you get started on Pym and the young "spinsters"  in Excellent Women, you will want to stick around for the discussion of Quartet in Autumn...which in my opinion is the better, more developed, of the two.  The "Senior Spinsters" in this one face many of the issues we face...and should provide for an interesting discussion. 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 06:18:47 PM »
Right now I'm reading three books all published around the same time -- circa 1977, 1 US publication and the other two British.  Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont (by Eliz. Taylor) -- I understand the movie was wonderful; I'm a little way into the book and find it a bit depressing. The other British is Quartet in Autumn, not depressing, but surprising in some respects, and the US book is Condominium by John MacDonald.

I don't want to jump the gun on the discussion, but somehow I feel like I'm reading about two entirely different time periods, or perhaps that's the difference between male and female writers. Granted, one is much coarser than the others.  It will be interesting to compare notes.  I look forward to it.

We used to eat baked beans on brown bread on Saturday nights.  That was a Boston thing, even for people like my in-laws, transplanted from there to Puerto Rico.

"Senior spinters,"  "younger spinsters"  When was the last time any of  you used term "spinster?"

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
Pedln, do you think that spinsterhood is more of an issue in Britain than in the US?
I noticed somewhere that Pym called herself a "spinster" - does that make it a more acceptable term...more acceptable than "Old Maid" for example?
Or do you see the two as the same?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:57:11 AM »
Lookee here!  A link to  the Barbara Pym Society!  I wrote to them and find that they have a facebook page and yahoo discussion groups too...on Barbara Pym's works.  Of course I wrote to them right away, explained that most of our gathering group are new to Pym and invited them to join our group.  I thought that was such exciting news, I wanted to share it with you - before they begin to show up here!

Welcome to the Barbara Pym Society!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 09:51:39 AM »
That's great news about The Barbara Pym Society, and I look forward to the members joining us here. There will be so much to talk about in this discussion such as comparing Pym with Jane Austen, or, if you're like me and haven't read much Austen, how her depictions compare with life as we remember during those time periods.

I'm currently reading an entirely different book for my f2f group, but also set in Britain in the 1950s, so will be curious to see how it compares.  It's just beginning to hit me that that was a long time ago and a lot has happened since then.   :P

CallieOK

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »
I'm marking a spot.  The Barbara Pym books sound very interesting.

Edit:  My library only has "Exellent Women", which I have reserved.  I also reserved "A Very Private Eye - an autobiography (of Barbara Pym) in diaries and letters" - edited by Hazel Hoff and Hilary Pym.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 03:44:11 PM »
Callie, we're keeping your seat for you - so happy to hear that you are planning to join us!  So happy that you were able to get Barbara Pym's diaries.  Hilary was her younger sister..with whom she lived ...not sure for how long.  I'm sure someone will come up with that information.  I'm interested in learning more about a spinster's preferred living arrangements.  I do know that Pym treasured her solitude, which is why I'm wondering how long she shared a home with sister, Hilary.

Welcome, Callie!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 08:34:19 PM »
Well, all of you have convinced me to try Pym.  I'll set about acquiring the books.  Pedln, I can contribute about Jane Austen, since I practically know her by heart, but I suspect it's a disservice to Pym to equate her with Austen.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 11:32:27 AM »
Oh this is great - the biggest Jane Austen fan ever has just joined our group! Welcome, PatH! I'm going agree with you, it is a disservice to Pym to equate her with JA - you cannot expect another Jane A. in Barbara Pym, though.  Even Pym would not agree with such a comparison, though they are often compared by readers.  Though they have much in common, their approach and focus is quite distinct.    I'm sure you will note the differences - and similarities - as we proceed. ;)

bellemere

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 04:46:06 PM »
I went through a Pym stage about fifteen years ago, along with a co-worker from London, and we had a lot of fun planning a "Barbara Pym Tour of London" , the British Museum of course, and a "jumble sale" and "tea with a curate" and a "vegetable awards show".  She bought me "A Very Private Eye", Barbara's biography.  I am looking forward to renewiing my acquaintance with Ms. Pym!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »
bellemere, what a fun thing to do -- planning a Barbara Pym tour. I love it.  I'm reading Quartet now, and the British Museum is definitely a place to go.  Thanks for the uptick -- I'll try to keep a good eye for other places to go while reading Excellent Women.

donnamo

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 10:37:51 PM »
Hello everyone.  I haven't been active here in several months, but  I continued to receive the email updates, for which I am thankful.  I am ordering Pym's two books tonight and look forward to participating in the group discussion.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »
A new Pymie! Donnamo -(love the name! ) So happy to hear that you will be joining us in November - this is certain to be fun!   Welcome!

Sandy

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 02:30:01 PM »
Wonderful news! I have loved Barbara Pym for years. I am limited to listening on cassettes or CD but have located Excellent Women and look forward to the discussion. I'll just eavesdrop on the The Quartet. Unless I get lucky and find it first.

It has been years since I posted here but can't wait to get back into it. Won't it be fun having The Barbara Pym Society join us.

Thank you so much for making it a double header Barbara Pym. If I remember right in the fifties when I married we thought if someone was not married by 30, the odds were not in their favor of marrying. Spinster was not a word we used. I remember one who with a smile called herself an Unclaimed Treasure.

CallieOK

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
My never-married Aunt said, "My parents named me Esther Mary Moore.....(long pause for effect)...but I didn't".   She also signed her letters "One Moore".

rosemarykaye

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2010, 04:18:35 PM »
Hello,

I am not sure if I am doing this right, but I am a member of the Barbara Pym Society and the yahoo group in the UK.  I would like to join your discussions - your whole website looks very interesting.

I have been reading and re-reading Pym for at least 25 years - there is always something new to see in her works.  In our yahoo group we are reading Quartet in Autumn this month (we read one Pym novel each month).  It's not my favourite but it does have some good bits - Excellent Women is, in my opinion, Pym's masterpiece and the most "Austen-like" of her books.

I will try to post a bit about myself on your "introductions" messageboard.

Best wishes

Rosemary

salan

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2010, 04:35:20 PM »
I have Excellent Women, but not Quartet.  Which one will we start with?
Sally

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
Sally, we are planning to get a good start with Excellent Women and then I think there will be some overlap with Quartet in August - and wilth Pym's own life - and our own!

Sandy - welcome back!  Yes, 30 seemed to be the dividing line, the birthday when a young lady began to be considered a spinster...if not in those exact words.  Do you think things have changed much today?

Look who's joined us!  Our first visitor from the Barbara Pym Society.  We are so happy to have you join us in this discussion, Rosemary!  We hope you will stay on with us after it is over for many more... Welcome! to both of you!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »
Welcome everyone, and a very special one to Rosemary, coming from the Barbara Pym Society.

Callie,  you have a funny aunt.    :D

fairanna

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
Barbara Pym is new to me...but will get the books and join you...My mother was one of 11 and my father one of 13 and all of them married  but  my husband had a aunt who was schoolteacher and joiner of many organizations   and she was a spinster because the man was to marry was killed in WWI SHe was adventureous person and I loved her dearly  she was fun and if she was sorry she never discussed it ,,,he also had a cousin who was the director of the RED CROSS in Ohio  she had two lady friends also very nice with very good jobs When they retired they all entered a senior home Each had a  two bedroom apartment with baths and kitchen and balconies  it was a lovely place with all sorts of activities and rooms to to follow any ...one died in the hospital part of the place  Lucille who was my husbands cousin and the remaining one visited us and I have to say Lucille wept in my den when she said she had come to dislike the place because it was full of OLD people and death was something that happened all the time..she said it was hard to keep a friend because the relationships lasted such a short time and she wished they had bought a house and hired help to take care of it..she wanted to be some place where there were people of all ages.I forget now what she died from but she  chose not to have any treatment for it ..I spoke with her on the phone and she said she was ready and did not want her life prolonged..

I have been widowed now for 16 years  Senior net made a difference as I went to 17 bashes and made many friends I had two brother remaining from 5 just lost the one 3 years younger than me this June and still have one who is 6 years younger ...my 4 children and 7 grandchildren live near and I see them often  plus I have neighbors who treat me like a dotty aunt lol  I am very active , taken classes at the local U and became a member of the Poetry SOciety of VA won some awards and read poetry twice monthly    have two HUGE GOLDENS and keep very active...have had a great life but I do miss my husband  i am managing and still find life interesting ....and love to read and read eveyones comments ....so will get the books and be around to join in the discussion....anna

rosemarykaye

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 04:05:10 PM »
Anna, you sound absolutely wonderful and I wish you lived near me! 

I am interested to hear that you have two Golden Retrievers, as we are thinking about getting another dog, but I have always said no more Retrievers, as the last one was so strong and just about pulled me over.  My daughters were not able to help with the walking as he was just too powerful for them - son used to walk him at night, but he (son!) is now away from home, so it would be down to me and my 12 year old.  My husband only really wants a Retriever, and I must say I do miss having one around, but I was wondering if we had just had an exceptionally hyper model last time - our first was a female and fairly placid, second was a male we acquired aged 5 when his owners had to move abroad.  How do you manage with yours and do you have any tips for (i) choosing one and (ii) training?

I have heard quite a few people say that they were not happy in retirement communties, and some have in fact moved out back into the "real" world.  It is very sad that your relation was so unhappy.

To return to the books - if anyone would like a copy of Excellent Women, I have two and would be happy to send one to you.  I have found in my correspondence with people in the Pym group that if I send things surface mail from here they inevitably arrive in the US within a week, and at a fraction of the cost - I have also inherited a large amount of stamps from my husband's uncle, so happy to cover the postage - just let me know.

Rosemary

fairanna

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 02:29:23 AM »
Rosemary I would love the copy  because I would love to meet you  I spent about ten days in England when we lived in Europe  took the boat across the channel and visited friends there that we had met in Germany when we were dining out They placed both at the same table but who cares we were always excited and pleased to know new peope Then we ( one of the wives our husband baby sat) went to London and I had made all the arrangements  and we stayed at a B&B abd took cabs or buses to all the places we visited .........I have to laugh because the cab drivers thought I was nuts I couldnt figure out the money so I would just hold out a handful of coins and they would take whatever ;;;;I really dont think anyone cheated us ;;;;;it always seemed reasonable when I checked it out later,

Since I live on the east coast it shouldnt take long to arrive my address is below
ANNA ALEXANDER
     207 DOMINION DRIVE
     NEWPORT NEWS VA 23602
     U.S.A

Would you like me to reimburse you or allow me to send  you something from here I will be happy to do so...really looking forward and one thing I didnt add in my previous post MY MOTTO IS  "I AM GOING TO LIVE UNTIL I DIE!!!"

BLESS ALL..anna

fairanna

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 02:39:15 AM »
OOPS I FORGOT TO TELL ABOUT THE  GOLDENS I HAD A RESCUE GOLDEN NAMES KATIE STAR AND SHE WAS WONDERFUL . THESE TWO ARE MALES AND WHILE I CALL THEM "MY SWEET BOYS" YOU REALLY HAVE TO BE STRONG FROM THE BEGINNING AND SEE THEY OBEY THE OLDEST ONE IS 12 SKIPPER AND ANDY IS ABOUT 4-5  THEY WERE MY DAUGHTERS AND THE ONLY REASON I HAVE THEM SHE WANTED TO GET SMALLER DOGS AND WAS GOING TO GIVE THEM AWAY  BUT.......I FELT THEY WERE FAMILY SO I TOOK SKIPPER THEN LATER SHE WANTED TO GIVE ANDY AWAY AND I TOOK HIM      BUT[/b MY ADVICE GET A FEMALE ALL MY FEMALES WERE WONDERFUL.....ALL THE DOGS WERE NUETERED  BECAUSE I DONT WANT TO DEAL WTH THAT BUT I DO FIND THEM SWEET TEMPERED AND VERY CARING AND LOVING  JUST REMEMBER       YOU ARE THE BOSSNOW I HOPE I HAVE ANSWERED ALL ..BEST TO YOU AND GOOD LUCK WITH THE DOGS  FEMALE ENGLISH  SPRINGER SPANIELS ARE GREAT AS WELL/anna

rosemarykaye

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »
Hello again Anna,

I am putting the book in the post - you don't owe me anything, it didn't cost me anything and I'm glad to find it a home.  I have an incurable habit of buying copies of certain favourite books I know I already have - I feel I need to "save" them from the charity shop, sale, etc - then I have to hide them from my husband.

Thanks for the advice re the retrievers.  I certainly agree that females are easier.  I was at the vet this morning with my cats so I asked her advice - she said a puppy would be hard work but a rescue dog might be unreliable with cats, though she did suggest we visited the local dog and cat home, so we might do that.

Where did you live in Europe?

Got to stop as have a viewer coming for my house - have been trying to sell it since May and it has proved a nightmare.

Best wishes,

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2010, 11:27:45 AM »
Welcome to the world of Pym, Anna Fair!  Really happy to hear that you plan to join us - and that Rosemary is sending you her copy of Excellent Women!  (Rosemary is a gem, a gift to us from the Barbara Pym Society) -  
 Good advice to get a female!  I agree wholeheartedly with that.  We don't have a Retriever, but a feisty little Irish Terrier.  I hear from other owners that they have a mind of their own - but that the females are not as hard to handle.  Perhaps that is true of all breeds?  A rescue dog makes sense too - a female!

Anna, the matter of housing is something that we will be paying close attention to in Quartet in Autumn.  I've been hearing that this book has been referred to as a manual for Seniors entering retirement.  Surely we will have quite a discussion here about that - an issue of concern to all of us - or will be.   And thank you for sharing Lucille's story here.  I'm sure we will get back to that.  Rosemary, I plan to get over to the Yahoo discussion of Quartet in Autumn as soon as I can -  thanks for the mention.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2010, 11:49:02 AM »
This promises to be a such a good discussion, I can tell that already - not only because we are discussing both of Barbara Pym's novels, but because we will be considering her life as well.  To me, that's the real story here - Pym's biography plays such a huge part in her characters'  experiences.  

Callie and Bellemere tell us that they  will have Pym's autobiography in hand for the discussion.  "A Very Private Eye" is an autobiography (of Barbara Pym) in diaries and letters" - edited by Hazel Hoff and Hilary Pym.  Hilary Pym  was Barbara's younger sister with whom she lived for many years.  
 The subject of Spinsterhood - Barbara referred to this in her diaries as "the uncertainties of loving."  That will make quite a topic for discussion, I think.

Sandy - I love that - a spinster: "an unclaimed treasure."

Bellemere, remember when you posted that "we will need a Brit to de-mystify some of the English culinary delights mentioned?"

Well, I just read Rosemary's post in the Introductions... "I do actually have a copy of the Barbara Pym cookery book, which was published after her death, and gives the recipes for some of the dishes that keep turning up in the novels."    Put on your aprons!  We're going to do some cooking! Cauliflower cheese - Fairy Cakes!  Can't wait!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2010, 05:04:20 PM »
I have just unearthed the book, and can tell you it contains the recipes for such "delights" as "An Improved Blancmange" (see Excellent Women), and an "unsuccessful cauliflower cheese" (Some Tame Gazelle), but not the Boiled Baby that features in No Fond Return of Love.  And yes, plenty of cake recipes, from Victoria Sandwich to Sultana Scones.

I think it's one of the pleasures of BP's books that the food is always described in such detail - after all, it is a big part of most of our daily rounds, even though some authors seem to feel they should rise above such things (the Sunday Times for many years ran a feature called "A Day In The Life Of" or something like that, and nine times out of ten the Important Person interviewed would claim that they never ate breakfast or lunch - as if, as my children would no doubt say).

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2010, 05:24:25 PM »
Well, if you want it, I have a recipe for Boiled Baby.  It's in a delightful cookbook called Lobscouse and Spotted Dog, in which Anne Chotzinoff Grossman and Lisa Grossman Thomas have cooked every single food item mentioned in Patrick O'Brian's 20 volume Master and Commander series, and give recipes, along with amusing details of their experiences and explanations of where in the books the food occurs.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
What a marvellous group is gathering here.  Welcome, everyone, familiar faces and new.

Rosemary, you are indeed a gem, that's lovely of you to want to share your books.

And Anna, it's so good to have you here.  I have missed our get-togethers in Newport News, but now that my daughter is no longer in C'ville I never get near your neck of the woods.

Recipes --- hooray.  One of my favorite pastimes -- just to look at recipes.  But oh my, I can't even imagine what a "Boiled Baby" is.  Or "Caulifower cheese."  Please post those recipes here.

Gumtree

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 02:38:48 AM »
I still haven't got the books but will look for them this week and get reading

Victoria sandwich and blancmange were a couple of my mother's masterpieces. Cauliflower cheese features in my kitchen on a fairly regular basis and Sultana cake was one of the first cakes I baked after I married - still make it occasionally though I don't bake much nowadays. 

Already I can see that Barbara Pym will be a trip down memory lane. - must get hold the books.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson