Author Topic: Talking Heads ~ Three Day Wonders  (Read 46180 times)

Ella Gibbons

Re: Talking Heads ~ Three Day Wonders
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »
Talking Heads #11

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A   forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online:
 bring your ideas and let's discuss

Our  Eleventh Topic

3 DAY WONDERS - topics and articles provided every three days by YOU, our readers.

Third  topic:  Modern Miracles: Can We Live Without The Advances Of Modern Medicine?

Advances of Modern Medicine

Modern Miracles

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2010, 12:44:31 PM »
BABI, I see your question.  I suppose it depends on the person, the age maybe?  I don't like scanty underwear ads but then I'm the kind of person who is embarrased to look at those same underwear in stores.  And don't even mention going shopping in Victoria's Secret (however, I do llike their lotions and sometimes sneak in to get a tube or bottle).

A good commercial (as we must have them) would be something clever or funny -  I think we have mentioned a few.

I was thinking this morning that we don't see many ads using animals.

CallieOK

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 04:32:51 PM »
I thought it was a little dab of Bryl Cream - hair stuff for guys.

I like ads that 1) don't yell, 2) don't talk or move too fast, 3) present the product without fake "experts" (never mind the disclaimers - don't dress up an actor like a doctor if he/she isn't one), 4) are colorful, and 5) present useful information along with the costumes and funny characters.  
I do enjoy the ones that make me chuckle.

If I'm becoming interested in a product or service, I will notice - and take notes (if I can catch the information quickly enough).

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 04:42:25 PM »
One other thought just came to me - I don't look at ads in print publications (newspaper, magazines, etc.) either.    ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2010, 05:24:06 PM »
Callie, I remember it as Bryl Cream also  (sticky stuff to keep that hair in place).  I believe that my husband used it years ago.  He still has plenty of hair but you wouldn't know as he shaves it all off. :)

Their jingle (from Wikipedia)
Bryl-Creem, a little dab'll do ya,
Use more,only if you dare,
But watch out,
The gals will all pursue ya,--
They'll love to RUN their fingers through your hair.

Those were the days.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 06:53:45 PM »
You'll wonder where the yellow went
When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent

Are there any jingles these days, or are they considered so old school?

CallieOK

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 07:00:36 PM »
Am I remembering correctly?

Rinso White, Rinso White,
Happy little washday song...

Frybabe

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »
For an advertiser a good ad is one that gets the consumer to remember their name and/or product in a positive way. At best, poor ads don't do that. At worst, poor ads leave a negative effect on the consumer. Cute and clever sometimes ends up in the poor category because people remember the advertisement but not what is being advertised.

I am with you regarding prescription ads. I also don't like sanitary pad advertising on TV. They are okay in women's magazines.

Anyone who is interested in the advertising and the advertising industry might be interested in looking at http://www.adweek.com/aw/index.jsp Their sister site concentrates on brands. http://www.brandweek.com/bw/index.jsp I used to work on their publications before they found another printer. There was always found something interesting to read in them.

Steph

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 06:02:24 AM »
Dont think I have ever seen the Royal Bank ad..
Now as to pain management. That is quite the question here in Florida since we are noted as the state that has way too many pain clinics, that are basically a way to obtain drugs for people.. They ask for cash only, do not really examine people and simply dish out oxycontin, etc. The state is trying to enact different laws, so the legitimate pain clinics can function, but the phonies cant. OF course in south Florida we already have so much medicare fraud as to be on all of the lists for phoneys.
I can remember after the accident, being asked over and over to judge my pain by 1-10.. It always sort of stopped me..Is 10 way past handling?? Is 1 important.. I tended to guess 5 or so mostly, although during the run up of the compartment syndrome, I went.. 15 when the leg started to swell and would not stop. They gave me a heck of a lot of morphine and it did not even cut the pain.. My only experience with something that was like waves of heat and fury and caused me to circle down to a small window of agony and noone else there. Whew.. dont want to do that again.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 08:48:17 AM »
What is pain?  Our next three-day topic is from a book review, The Pain Chronicles.  The author of this book suffered for years with chronic pain from a spinal condition.  When she was asked to write an article about pain her research became an obsession.  She raises many questions.  Does pain have a purpose?  Is pain punishment for sin? Do our doctors know how to treat pain?  Can pain be cured with love?  

Note:  Within the article there is also a link to an actual excerpt from the book.

Steph, you raise some real questions there -- and heaven help us, I hope you don't ever have to go there again.
Is 10 way past handling?? Is 1 important

Are there any answers?

Babi

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 09:08:11 AM »
I used to know how to do that, PEDLN, but I've forgotten. Please, don't
wake up any jingles in my head. It's so hard to shut them up again!   ::)

My thanks to our 'Book Administrator' JOANP, for the great headings.  She is keeping us nicely
sorted out.  This can be a very personal subject, can't it?  I tend to ignore the minor stuff. As
STEPH says, is 1 or 2 important?  I think most of us wouldn't even be talking to the doctor for
that sort of pain. I will make an exception for persistent, unexplained minor pain.  I't's probably wise to find out what's going on, just in case it's something serious.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ALF43

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 09:50:26 AM »
AHA- pain and the management of- This is a difficult topic because i believe that each of us suffer some type of pain, either physical, mental, spiritual or social.  Of course the severity of the pain and the duration is what determines how we can best handle the pain and/or how badly does it affect our quality of life?  Aye, there's the rub, isn't it?  Steph's pain was not only of the acute physical type but the horror of the mental anguish she had to endure with the loss of her husband.  Her quality of life was totally altered with her accident.
 I fear that it is difficult enough to manage pain of an acute nature but I also hold that chronicity of pain can be over whelming.  A chronic anguish  or misery wears one down.  It never goes away or abates.  Many people suffer from diseases such as fibromyalgia and their entire life changes before a diagnosis is even made.

So, the question here is how best do we manage the pain?  Is there an answer to that question?  What one person may define as painful another may see as merely annoying or a "twinge."
IMO the person needs the pain management.  Should it be palliative or aggressive?  Is he/she being listened to?
One needs the proper physician to assist with these decisions and again, I fear that they are few and far between.  We need to be listened to before we can be treated.  An alloted 15 minutes for consultation does not fit the bill.

You can see that this is another hot little topic for me.  For those of you suffering, I wish you all the strength and fortitude that God will give to help you.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 11:26:18 AM »
Here's a few suggestions for handling pain from a survivor of chronic pain:

http://www.survivalblog.com/2009/07/controlling_pain_where_there_i.html

Having put that up, I read the article and was pleased to see that prayer and meditation are mentioned.  I read an article in our local paper about prayer working.  Meditation is really a good tool to have available when pain knocks you down.  Its a good thing to learn for many of life's problems.  

I am unable to retain opoids for more than three minutes so I guess I won't get addicted to those.  Recently, after traveling to NYC and WV and back to NY state,  I had a really sore shoulder.  I use a special salve or cream for knees but it was't approved for any other joint problems.  On looking it up, I found that some drs were prescribing it for other joints.  Do you know that just the awareness of its availability for my shoulder alleviated the pain??  Now what's that all about??  Does time really heal all wounds??  
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

nlhome

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 01:08:31 PM »
Sometimes, for me, knowing the source of the pain seems to reduce it, or increase my tolerance. Anxiety seems to contribute to the pain.

I have had chronic pain, combination of arthritis and carpal tunnel, and it's demoralizing, depressing, to be in constant pain that overrode my other thoughts and activities. Fortunately, for some reason, the pain decreased on its own so that most of the time I can ignore it, taking the occasional over-the-counter pain medication. I can go weeks without needing even one ibuprofen. So I would say a good day is a 1 or 2, the worst days for me were probably 7-8, I would reserve 10 for something more serious.

ALF43

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
Annie-
Does time really heal all wounds?? 

I don't know about that, but I do know that time wounds all heels. ::)
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

mrssherlock

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2010, 01:45:35 PM »
A stiff neck neck that persisted for weeks was diagnosed as arthritis.  for a while I wore a cervical collar and it was amazing, no pain.  Over the years more of the spine became involved and now I take three 800mg Ibuprofen a day, for the pain and for its healing properties.  Stll I have pain.  can't ride in the car for long periods anymore and must use a gel seat pad at times.  It never gets very bad but there are flare-ups.  We had a clever chart for patients to measure their pai.  It was a face, drawn 10 times, with increasingly obvious signs of pain in its grimaces.  Much easier to pick how your pain makes you feel when looking at such graphic displays.  And it works for all languages! Scroll down to see the faces:  http://tinyurl.com/22jmpbw
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2010, 06:22:05 AM »
I h ave a sister in law who is a professional in handling and teaching ADHD. We were discussing them and she told me that one of the hallmarks of the children is a higher sensitivity to pain.. I thought that was fascinating.. It seems because of their hyper awareness, they feel pain quickly and respond to it. So pain is subjective.. I know my husband would not admit to pain until he had been having problems for weeks.. Something male, I suspect.

Babi

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 08:40:48 AM »
A chronic anguish  or misery wears one down.
Absolutely, ALF.  I can bear
quite a bit of pain if I know it's temporary. A chronic pain, even though
less in intensity, is much more to be dreaded.
  One's mental attitude does make a great difference. When I was quite young
I discovered I could mentally put a minor pain in a 'box' and confine it
there. The rest of me felt fine, so I could go on about my activities readily.
Unfortunately, I don't find that works for me anymore.
 I do know that tension aggravates pain, so anything that tends to calm
and relax does help. Prayer and meditation have been shown to be effective
in many studies.
  Indeed, STEPH. You remind me of those commercials showing men being knocked for
a loop, obviously injured, leaping up and insisting "I'm fine! I'm fine!"  Part of the 'tough guy'
syndrome, I suppose. ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 10:21:16 AM »
When I was nineteen years old I woke up and couldn't get out of bed and had trouble breathing.  A doctor prescribed over the phone and said it was muscle spasms.  Whatever he prescribed got me out of bed but I have had pain in my muscles for the rest of my life.  Aspirins sufficed for years, plus exercise, and keeping busy.  Prednisone helped for awhile but you can't take it long.   Being pregnant helped and you can't do that long either.  But now with plavix I can only take tylenol which isn't as good in my opinion for muscle pain.  At times, the muscles swell, heat and ice help.  Exercise helps.  I've been to all kinds of doctors, any kind, you name it, all kinds of physical therapy.  The muscle pain just will not go away.

It is exhausting!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
Ella, that sounds like it might be some kind of arthritis or maybe even fibromyalgia. 

I agree that sometimes a temporary "fixable" pain, even severe, is more tolerable that a permanent chronic pain. 

I think the medical profession has become more aware that ignoring pain as just "something to bear" makes treating the disease or injury that might be causing the pain more difficult and longer-lasting.  I don't think severe or long-lasting pain should ever be necessary.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2010, 06:24:29 AM »
Hopefully not too far off topic.. But I changed vets last year. My new vet believes that animals should be suffer pain.. Whenever he does anything to the dogs, he sends me home with a few pain pills.. He believes strongly that they get better fast with no pain.. I find it interesting.. But faithfully give them the pills..
Chronic pain is a sentence to so many people. I had an aunt with horrible bursitus in her knees. I knew years ago watching her, which days she was easy and which she was not.. In the eyes of course.
I also wish away minor pain.. Just sort of concentrate on my mantra image.. Lovely blue water , floating on it.. and can control small types of pain.

Babi

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2010, 08:56:45 AM »
 Oh, ELLA, you have my deepest sympathy.  That is really hard. 

MARYZ, you are right about that.  Even before I retired, the agencies
inpecting and certifying hospitals and nursing homes had begun paying
close attention to a facility's pain management for it's patients.
  Distraction also helps with minor pains. If I am engrossed in some
activity I can ignore and forget minor pains. Which is especially fortunate
as we grow older and more of those small minor pains crop up.
 While I agree that people can get better faster with no pain, I would take
one exception to that.  If an injury is healing, and the patient is supposed
to keep off that limb, they are more likely to do so if some pain occurs
when they disobey.  Another instance where "I'm fine!" can get you in trouble.  ;)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
But sometimes "I'm fine" is okay. If I sit too long with my legs under a table (playing cards, no doubt) it hurts one knee when I get up.  But after I'm up and stretch, I'm really fine.  Sometimes it's hard to know when someone needs your concern and when they don't.

That's interesting about the vet, Steph, and I don't doubt that animals in pain could bring up many comments.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2010, 07:08:46 AM »
Talking Heads #11

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A   forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper articles, online:
 bring your ideas and let's discuss

Our  Eleventh Topic:  

3 DAY WONDERS - topics and articles provided every three days by YOU, our readers.

Third  topic:  Modern Miracles: Can We Live Without The Advances Of Modern Medicine?

Advances of Modern Medicine

Modern Miracles ~ 2010

Babi

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2010, 08:07:30 AM »
 Good morning, all.  We are about to segue from 'Pain' to 'Modern Miracles' in medicine.  It
wasn't so long ago that my brother had open heart surgery for blocked arteries.  Long operation, painful recovery.  Then about a month ago my younger daughter had blocked arteries dilated quickly and successfully, quick recovery.  What's not to like?
  Well, check Annie's links and tell us what you think.                                                     

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2010, 09:25:41 AM »
In these two links we are offered a look into one journalist's opinion of today's modern technology and how far should we go to continue a person's life and another journalist's  opinions of what is about how to increase your stock portfolio in the field of medicine.  He refers to it a Modern Miracles.

Like Babi, I have probably seen many modern medicine miracles in just last few years.  Due to my husband who has managed to have many surgeries and implants done to prolong and add to the quality of his life.  He is now sporting an LVAD which is a heart pump to help his heart continue to work as it was designed.  He runs on batteries!  He also has a bi-polar pacemaker which was installed 5 or 6 yrs ago.  It also helps his heart work properly. Buuuut, he is not getting any younger, at age 76, and how much longer will  the medical field and medicare keep him up and running since the cost of all these miracles is going up and up??

According to the link in the first article, medicare makes a decision on whether we can live a quality life for a certain amount of money per year.  They used to use the figure of $50,0000 per year but with the technology that is out there today, its going to cost much more per year and the scientist who wrote the paper says from $61,000 to $488,000 as what it could become.  And this is quality life, also.

Can our medical miracles keep happening with the cost going up and up??

Are any of you fascinated by the many miracles that might happen this year?? How about the stem cells that you produce being moved to your sick organ and growing a new one??

Another question I have:  When we are chronically ill for many years and the doctors come up with a cure for something else we are enduring, how do they make a decision to use this new procedure or medication??
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »
I never cease to marvel at the pain relief after joint replacements - even though I've not had one. 

John and I have often commented on the fact that technology in medicine is advancing faster than society's ability (or willingness) to pay for it. 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2010, 11:42:59 AM »
Costlly, I am sure, MARY and ANN, and it will only get worse, which makes me shudder to think that only the wealthy will be living longer and runnning the country.  Oh, certainly not.

From the article above:

"So rather than relying on some outside treatment, the future of medicine will be in figuring out how to make your body heal itself and rejuvenate itself. No surgery. No invasive procedure of any kind. It’s this kind of promise that makes me believe 2010 will be the dawning of an amazing age of medical marvels."

That doesn't sound expensive.  Take a piece of skin, cells, and patch them elsewhere on the same body? 

Good article, Ann, and I know what a miracle your husband is, he's a battery-operated wonderful guy who is painting their bathroom.  Amazing.

ALF43

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
I say go for it!
When we can put men indefinitely on the moon why not shoot for modern miracles on earth?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2010, 11:06:15 PM »
I think the idea of using a patch after one gets the flu.  About the size of the bandaid, it makes the flu go away.  Amazing!

I also am very interested in the company which is working on spinal cord repairs.  Remember the man who played Superman??  He was so sure that there was a cure out there for him and all his fellow spinal cord patients.

"Cells from the nose may help spinal injury victims walk again." Fox News explains.  "It's a relatively simple procedure to take them from the patient, grow more of them in the laboratory and then insert them back into the same person."

Steph

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2010, 06:09:38 AM »
I k now that  my compartment syndrom surgery was considered risky and imperative to save my leg. I was in too much shock and pain to participate in any of the discussions, but my sons stepped up and said they knew I would want to save my leg..Then a complication arose with something in the artery, but again they said go ahead. I owe them my life and the fact that my leg works perfectly and I am back to normal.. So I guess I am a modern miracle of sorts.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »
We have a friend who had compartment syndrome in his leg, immediately after having cancer surgery and it took him a long time to recover from it.  I think, Steph,  your having it 20 yrs later than he did, that the progress in treating it has made you a medical miracle.  God bless your sons and their awareness of your wishes to save your leg or any other body parts.

Babi

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2010, 09:22:01 AM »
  Making your body heal itself!  Now that does sound perfect, doesn't it?  Oh, brave New World!!

AdoAnnie asks an excellent question.
"When we are chronically ill for many years and the doctors come up with a cure for something else we are enduring, how do they make a decision to use this new procedure or medication??

I suppose the first consideration would be, how risky is it?  There are medicines out there today
that have the possibility of killing the patient with the first dose!  (No, I'm not kidding.) Another
question would be, how available is it?  Like transplants,  if it's not widely available, decisions
would have to be made as to which patients could best benefit from it.

There are so many options available to prolong, and improve the quality of, our lives.  It
would have to be a very personal decision as to when one would say, "Enough, already!"

While I'm here,  would you posters give some thought to any subject or article that has
caught your attention recently.  We have one more on tap after this one, and by 10/13 we
will need another one....or two, or three....

Steph

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2010, 06:17:58 AM »
I think of the advances in heart surgery alone and know there are so many people living that would have died even 10 years ago. Amazing when you consider. I love the idea of using your own body to heal other parts of your body. The more natural, the better.
I do feel that doctors have gotten over enthusiastic about the MRI and CT scans.. Too much xray..I tell the dentist now that unless I am having a problem, I would prefer no xrays.. I get a yearly mammo.. but because of the accident and all of the CT scans and MRI, etc, I am trying to call a halt to anything like that unless truly necessary.

Babi

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2010, 09:01:01 AM »
 I guess we can't blame the doctors for loving anything that gives them a
better look at a problem.  IF there is a problem.  Unfortunately
it's also an easy way to run up a bill unnecessarily, just 'fishing'.  There
have been times I've opted for a 'conservative' approach to treatment, at least to begin with.  If that doesn't work, then we can go for
the heavy-duty probing.
  This is the last day for commentary on modern medical miracles.  It
occurs to me that 'quality of life' applies to more than improved old age.
There are many physical problems that plague the lives of younger people as well. I would think that learning intervention at the cellular level would
work wonders in that area as well.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2010, 09:44:53 AM »
IMO, a lot of those extra tests are done so that the doc can forestall any malpractice claims by saying that he/she checked everything possible.  It's a CYA (cover your a..) situation.  

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2010, 09:52:33 AM »
Maryz, last week - or the week before, my husband had  arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus in his knee.  Two days later his entire leg was swollen and I made him call the doctor, just to see if this is normal with this time of operation.  The nurse set him up for a doppler ultrasound in the hospital, without even talking to the doctor about it.  My H. told her he didn't feel that was necessary and she became very short with him, telling him that the doctor would not be responsible if he had a blood clot and died.  So he went in - with difficulty, on crutches...had the ultrasound - and it was negative.  What would you have done?

ps. We haven't received that bill yet!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
JOANP, I would have had the ultrasound.  I know many procedures seem unnecessary but dying from a blood clot would also be unnecessary, haha

How do we know?  The medical profession should.  

Was the nurse a NP?  They have the authority to do many things that ordinarily only a doctor would do.  Times have changed and the NP's I have dealt with have been very good.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »
JoanP, I don't know - probably because of the immediacy of the problem, I would've had the ultrasound (like Ella said).  
In general, I don't think we (or at least I) don't have enough knowledge to decide whether or not a lot of these tests are really necessary - we have to trust the experts.  Tough decisions.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2010, 08:19:48 PM »
JoanP, it the problem was bad enough for you to call the doctor, then you should do what the doctor (or nurse) says.