General Book Discussions & More > Poetry

Poetry Page

(1/1070) > >>

BooksAdmin:
Welcome to our Poetry Page.

Join our 2016 Shakespeare Sonnet-a-Day discussion starting at
http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=176.msg283685#msg283685

FairAnna and Barbara will alternate creating a focus for us - In the past the poetry page was a haven for those of us who listen to words that open our hearts, and imagination, and allowed our feelings be known about the poems we share - We are looking forward to continuing that tradition.

This month we will focus on the Sonnet.
Let's discover how a Sonnet is constructed and let's share the Sonnets that open our hearts. Since Valentine's Day is in February a Love Sonnet would be a lovely gift for us.

Here are a few links to help us understand the Sonnet and its history.

Sonnet Central

About the Sonnet

Origins of the Sonnet

How to Write a Sonnet
Discussion Leaders: BarbStAubrey & Fairanna

BarbStAubrey:
We are so glad to be back sharing poetry again -

For the next few days we can become re-aquainted and share some of our favorites.

This Emily Bronte poem is not a favorite but oh so appropriate:

'Love is like the wild rose briar."

Love is like th eiwld rose briar,
Friendship, like the holly tree,
The holly is dark when the rose briar blooms,
But which will bloom more constantly?

The wild rose briar is sweet in spring,
Its summer blossoms scent the air;
Yet wait till winter comes again
And who will call the wild-briar fair?

Then scorn the silly rose-wreath now
And deck thee with the holy's sheen,
That when December blights the brow
He still my leave thy garland green - 

After the Seniornet with all its sweet wild rose briar stopped us in mid-stream that here the friendships from Books & Lit like the Holly tree shines as a green garland.

BarbStAubrey:
This post was sent to us from Anna a few days ago-

Hi I am having cataract surgery in FEb  in my left eye...twenty years ago I had the same in my right eye ...since I was and am nearsighted the lens then was for distance...which enabled me to see closeup with my left eye and distance with my new right eye..so no glasses for twenty years except sunglasses...it has become hard for me to read since I have to rely on the left eye and I get a headache when I try...I think the surgery will be the ninth I am seeing the surgeon on WED this week and we will set the date and time...I planned on being able to start in Feb with Thomas Hardy but of course I cant do that until the surgery is over and I can see how it will work. My surgeon says he is going to use a lens identical to my real nearsighted eye so hopefully I wont need glasses again...I will keep you informed as to the progress  I havent talked to Barbara yet so she is not aware of this situation..it formed rather quickly  which the right eye did as well.

I am including a poem from one of the poets we studied ...Ted Kooser the US poet laureate for two years at one time...this was written after he had suffered from cancer and spent two years in depression and not writing a single line..when he was better he began walking each morning in Nebraska in the country ...when he returned home that morning he wrote a poem ..this is not the one just one I happen to like...although I truly love all ..the book is called Winter Morning Walks  and here is the one I chose...fairanna Right now this is about as long as I can read ...unless I can find something on the internet or among my own poems which or on discs   any way I hope you like it and OH YES I WISH TO ANNOUNCE I SAW THE FIRST ROBIN FEEDING IN MY YARD ON SUNDAY  WOW THAT IS THE EARLIEST ONE HAS ARRIVED SINCE WE MOVED HERE IN 1972

January 27

Thirty-four degrees and clear

Fifty or sixty small gray birds with crests
in a bare hackberry tree this morning early,
not one of them making a sound
or even the neat black silhouette of a sound
against the rising sun. They let me
walk up close ,then one by one
they leapt from their perches and dropped
and caught the air and swung away
into the north ,becoming a ribbon first,
and then , in the distance ,confetti,
as they sprinkled their breathtaking silence
into another  bare tree.

Ted Kooser Winter Morning Walks

fairanna:
Barbara isnt it great to be in POETRY ?  I am so happy even if I have some eye problems now ..the surgeon assures me it will only take 10-15 mins which I find incredible since 20 years ago it was about six weeks before I was well and free to resume a normal life..HURRAH for science...later I have read too much this day and my eyes hurt . GOD BLESS ALL>..and WELCOME HOME TO POETRY>.fairanna

BarbStAubrey:
 Yes, Welcome home to poetry - it is so good to know we have a place again - get well - we will be thinking about you -

I didn't catch the name of the poem read tonight on the  Lehrer Newshour to honor Updike - if anyone remembers please share - I heard most of it and it was so moving with wonderful imagery. I would love to read it again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version