Author Topic: Poetry Page  (Read 682782 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Poetry Page
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2009, 11:37:42 PM »
Welcome to our Poetry Page.
FairAnna and Barbara will alternate creating a focus for us - The poetry page is a haven for those of us who listen to words that open our hearts, and imagination, and allow our feelings be known about the poems we share - We are looking forward to continuing this tradition.

Please, joins us this month as Fairanna helps us look closer at the work of: THOMAS HARDY

Born 1840 the son of a stonemason in Dorsetshire, England he left fiction writing for poetry, and published eight collections, including Wessex Poems (1898) and Satires of Circumstance (1912). Thomas Hardy died in 1928.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »
Did IT - Yeah!

To start  us on our road of discovering Thomas Hardy here is a contribution...

The Difference

I
Sinking down by the gate I discern the thin moon,
And a blackbird tries over old airs in the pine,
But the moon is a sorry one, sad the bird's tune,
For this spot is unknown to that Heartmate of mine.

II

Did my Heartmate but haunt here at times such as now,
The song would be joyous and cheerful the moon;
But she will see never this gate, path, or bough,
Nor I find a joy in the scene or the tune.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Babi

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2009, 10:05:53 AM »
BARB, after reading the French sonnet re. daffodils, I had to wonder if the French daffodils bloom longer.  You don't see them that late in the year here. ???

Until I saw this proposed 'poet', I didn't even know Thomas Hardy wrote any poetry.  Of his prose, some I liked and some I didn't.  So, let's see about the poetry.  I enjoyed the one Barb just posted.  The few I've found so far seem much too long to post.  I'll keep looking, and read what others are posting.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »
yes Babi - I read  how she or he wants time to stand still but says nothing about time overlapping - I think the Daffodil and her winter time were metaphors to a happy love versus the winter that symbolized the end of their love relationship.

I am sure when Fairanna gets to come in she will have loads of Hardy poems from her books for us - it was Fairanna who suggested Thomas Hardy - I do know she had eye surgery a couple of weeks ago but we have heard all is well - in the meantime I am using the internet because I do not own a book of Thomas Hardy poems. From his bio it seems he wrote his novels first before switching to poetry. I didn't realize he was living until 1928.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »
Why didn't I know this site had opened up earlier? I guess because I go in checking "show new replies to my posts", and so miss "new" sites. Look forward to Hardy.

fairanna

« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2009, 12:51:32 AM »
WOW Barbara what a marvelous finish to our first month ...daffolls galore and mine are up about 4=5 inches but since winter has delayed here until now when we are predicted to have 3 above zero tomorrow night .. I fear they will be frozen and not bloom this year...below is the first poem I chose ...and why and thanks for the heading....as usual you did a grand job ,,something I guess I should try to learn ..
I just spent an hour reading some of Hardy's poem and I can tell you it was difficult to decide which to share today  //The one I chose spoke to me not only because it is true for now but once was true for me ..as I waited for a husband to return from military assignments overseas...for children whose dad was not always there for birthday , holidays and school affairs...perhaps some of you have known this yourself or know someone who waited hopefully for a husband to return from war ....whole and dear to thee,,,''

Song of the Soldiers'  Wives and Sweethearts

I
At Last! In sight of home again ,
Of Home again;
No more to range and roam again
As that bygone time?
No more to go away from us
And stay from us?-
Dawn, hold not long the day from us ,
But quicken it to prime!
II
Now all the town shall ring to them,
Shall sing to them,
And we who love them cling to them
And clasp them joyfully;
And cry,"O much we'll do for you
Anew for you,
Dear Loves!-aye, draw and hew for you,
Come back from overseas."
III
Some told us we should meet no more,
Yes meet no more!-
Should wait , and wish , but greet no more
Your faces round our fires;
That in a while , uncharily
And drearily
Men gave their lives -even wearily,
Like those whom living tires.
IV
And now you are nearing home again ,
Dears, home again;
No more , may he roam again
As at that bygone time,
Which took your far away from us
To stay from us;
Dawn, hold not long the day from us,
But quicken it to prime!

Thomas Hardy

hats

« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2009, 08:00:34 AM »
FairAnna,

I have heard you tell about your Military husband. I bet you can identify with this beautiful poem. It is so fitting this time in our lives again.

Babi

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2009, 09:26:16 AM »
I found this Hardy poem, a little out of date, but with a wistful quality I liked.

THE OXEN

Christmas Eve, and twelve of the clock.
   'Now they are all on their knees,'
An elder said as we sat in a flock
    By the embers in hearthside ease.

We pictured the meek mild creatures where
   They dwelt in their strawy pen,
Nor did it occur to one of us there
    To doubt they were kneeling then.

So fair a fancy few would weave
    In those years! Yet I feel,
If someone said on Christmas Eve,
  'Come; see the oxen kneel,

'In the lonely barton by yonder coomb
   Our childhood used to know,'
I should go with him in the gloom,
   Hoping it might be so.

(A 'barton', I've found, is an archaic word for a meadow, and 'coomb' is a deep, narrow valley.)

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

bellemere

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »
Getting caugt up with the daffodil poems = on the very day that Smith College and Mt., Holyoke College, my Seven Sisters neighbors, announce their Spring Flower Shows coming up in March, with free admission to their fabulous greenhouse conservatories! Not to be missed!  And six inches of new snow outside, drat.  /but that is the March in New England.
Thomas Hardy! The only one of his poems I have read is Channel Firing and I never forgot it.  Thank you for introducing him to me. Or is it me to him?
A stone-mason of a poet.  Love his fearless compounding of words, hyphens be damned!
And the link to  The University of Toronto site is excellent, thank you for putting that on. 
His poems are all in a certain tone to me.  Is the word "curmudgeon" unfair to him?
That one about the Titanic, wow!
It is great to read the Poetry people again.

ALF43

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2009, 11:53:59 AM »
Babi,  thank you, I  like The Oxen.
I like the way it takes me personally right into Nativity scene.  It is never out of date, is it?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »
Oh Babi such a treat to read and thank you for finding the meaning of Barton and Coomb  - without that translation the lines would sound great but bring no picture to your mind's eye. Lovely lines -

'In the lonely barton by yonder coomb
   Our childhood used to know,'

Interesting, in Austin we have a Subdivision built back in the 1950s and 60s called Barton Hills - not sure if the developer knew what he was saying but it is an appropriate description of the area. Rather than our craggy hills heading up to a Mesa, Barton Hills is a gentle roll up from Lake Austin which a dam created on the Lower Colorado River that runs through Austin.

Ah yes Bellemere, Channel Firing - I have a CD that I keep in my vehicle with Richard Burton reading Channel Firing - you just cannot get any better - that man's voice is magical and he sends shivers down  your back when he reads that poem.

Arose the howl of wakened hounds:
The mouse let fall the altar-crumb,
The worms drew back into the mounds,

The glebe cow drooled.

We need to include it -  next post

Alf yes, I never thought of it but the poem does bring the reader right into the Nativity scene - thanks for pointing that out.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:59 PM »
Channel Firing

That night your great guns, unawares,
Shook all our coffins as we lay,
And broke the chancel window-squares,
We thought it was the Judgment-day

And sat upright. While drearisome
Arose the howl of wakened hounds:
The mouse let fall the altar-crumb,
The worms drew back into the mounds,

The glebe cow drooled. Till God called, "No;
It's gunnery practice out at sea
Just as before you went below;
The world is as it used to be:

"All nations striving strong to make
Red war yet redder. Mad as hatters
They do no more for Christés sake
Than you who are helpless in such matters.

"That this is not the judgment-hour
For some of them's a blessed thing,
For if it were they'd have to scour
Hell's floor for so much threatening ....

"Ha, ha. It will be warmer when
I blow the trumpet (if indeed
I ever do; for you are men,
And rest eternal sorely need)."

So down we lay again. "I wonder,
Will the world ever saner be,"
Said one, "than when He sent us under
In our indifferent century!"

And many a skeleton shook his head.
"Instead of preaching forty year,"
My neighbour Parson Thirdly said,
"I wish I had stuck to pipes and beer."

Again the guns disturbed the hour,
Roaring their readiness to avenge,
As far inland as Stourton Tower,
And Camelot, and starlit Stonehenge.

bellemere

« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2009, 02:45:52 PM »
Richard Burton!  Can I tak e you back?  Seven months pregnant, in I believe 1963 winter, I was standing in a line on Stuart St. in Boston for four hours, getting tickets to a pre=Broadway show,called Camelot. Richard Burton starred as King Arthur and a practically unknown Guinivere, Julie Andrews, and a completely unknown Robert Goulet as Lancelot.  Oh, Burton was still the star, no doubt, with that magnificent voice but what an evening!
Oh - I had a daughter, my fifth.

ALF43

« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
OK, I may be way off base but today I took a "King Lear" part I course by a visiting professor.  During his #A1 lecture he noted that certain lines made him weep, like when he "wept while reading Hardy's poem regarding his dead cat."  Does anyone know which poem he is speaking about here?  Is this our guy that we are reading about this month?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »
here you go Alf

The Roman Gravemounds

By Rome's dim relics there walks a man,
Eyes bent; and he carries a basket and spade;
I guess what impels him to scrape and scan;
Yea, his dreams of that Empire long decayed.

"Vast was Rome," he must muse, "in the world's regard,
Vast it looms there still, vast it ever will be;"
And he stoops as to dig and unmine some shard
Left by those who are held in such memory.

But no; in his basket, see, he has brought
A little white furred thing, stiff of limb,
Whose life never won from the world a thought;
It is this, and not Rome, that is moving him.

And to make it a grave he has come to the spot,
And he delves in the ancient dead's long home;
Their fames, their achievements, the man knows not;
The furred thing is all to him--nothing Rome!

"Here say you that Caesar's warriors lie? -
But my little white cat was my only friend!
Could she but live, might the record die
Of Caesar, his legions, his aims, his end!"

Well, Rome's long rule here is oft and again
A theme for the sages of history,
And the small furred life was worth no one's pen;
Yet its mourner's mood has a charm for me.

Bellemere you saw Camelot in Boston - we saw it in New York during a summer visit -  I think it was in 1961 though - Did they have the try out in Boston - well couldn't - the dates don't work - ah so - it and he was magical and in those days the singing voice of Robert Goulet was  'the thing' - That was one play that I thought they did a fine job making into a movie - Richard Harris was a more pensive king than  Richard Burton and Nero, with those 'piercing blue eyes' as the saying goes, was so much more romantic then Robert Goulet.

ALF43

« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »
Thank you so much Barb, I am going to print it out and see if, next week, he teaches on this poem.  He is scheduled for 3 sessions on poetry next week. 

Does anyone have a comment about this one?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2009, 06:25:26 PM »
Interesting Alf - I could not feel any emotion and tossed it off to not being a cat person - truly, animals in the house are just not my thing - and not having a ranch or farm where cats live in the barn - I just cannot get heads up as others do about pets.

Then I came across this site and they are suggesting in his many elegies he treats them with little feelings - and so it was not just me it was the poem as well that made it a toss off for me

http://www.jstor.org/pss/40002078

There is probably a lot in that poem - isn't Rome where the cats run free - Cats are symbolic of Liberty and the Goddess Diana... and then the Basket is symbolic of either returning from the dead,  rebirth or escaping death.

I think if  you did not know Hardy's childhood memory it would be difficult to conjour up all that emotion just by reading the poem - but then that is my opinion...

ALF43

« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »
I used to tour BrookGreen Gardens Barb in SCarolina and always loved the stories of the Goddess Diana, the hunter (ress).  Do you know WHY cats symbolize Diana.  I'm sorry ladies I got off on a different track here.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2009, 08:57:06 PM »
there are I am sure many myths why any object or animal is symbolized by a God or Goddess - the Cat's  importance has been around for a long time - here is a pretty good link giving a run down on the symbolism, myths and traditions associated with the Cat.

http://tiny.cc/Q8cOZ

Interesting this site says that Cats were kept as mascots by the Roman army

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/6913/rome.htm

Huh did not know - Goddess Diana the Huntress is mentioned in the Bible

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Diana_(mythology)

Babi

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »
  I do love cats, but though I sympathized with the old man's loss of his companion, I find the poem rather awkward technically.  The meter seems off on a number of lines; it would be hard to read aloud.

Nevertheless, I am finding more poems by Thomas Hardy that I really like. I'm glad FAIRANNA chose his poetry; it's a revelation to me.  The following poem is somewhat long, but I like it so much I decided to post it anyway.

THE DARKLING THRUSH

by: Thomas Hardy (1840-1928)

I leant upon a coppice gate
When Frost was spectre-gray,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
The weakening eye of day.

The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
Had sought their household fires.

The land's sharp features seem'd to be
The Century's corpse outleant,
His crypt the cloudy canopy,
The wind his death-lament.
The ancient pulse of germ and birth
Was shrunken hard and dry,
And every spirit upon earth
Seem'd fervourless as I.

At once a voice arose among
The bleak twigs overhead
In a full-hearted evensong
Of joy illimited;
An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
In blast-beruffled plume,
Had chosen thus to fling his soul
Upon the growing gloom.

So little cause for carollings
Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things
Afar or nigh around,
That I could think there trembled through
His happy good-night air
Some blessèd Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.

MarjV

« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2009, 08:54:41 AM »
That poem above reminds me of Emily Dickinson's   "Hope is a thing with feathers"  in his last line there    where the thrush is singing his soul:

Some blessèd Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.

Being a kitty addict, I like the poem where the narrator is finding a purposeful spot for the kitty's grave.

ALF43

« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »
I am not, nor will I ever be a cat lover.  I find them diabolical.  Early childhood fear- blah, blah blah.

Barb, you never cease to amaze me with the marvelous URL's that you offer.  That cats followed the Roman armies is unbelievable, but it makes perfect sense.  Strays have one loyalty, to their dish.  I know people like that too, unfortunately.

Marj- this Professor Keene that I spoke of earlier, loved Emily Dickenson and he wrote a book a couple of years ago about her, entitled "Emily Dickenson, appraising God."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2009, 11:01:47 AM »
Alf sounds like  you are engaged in an interesting class - is this an adult eduction class or for credit? Is the class held on a college campus?  Give us the skinny.

Babi I am so glad you posted The Darkling Thrush - all his references remind me of the British Countryside that movie directors are good about getting "right" when one of his novels are made into a movie - the British Countryside that is the quitisential view of England.

I love finding new words or finding the meaning for words that easily slip by and right off the bat my brain was asking what is a coppice gate - well here goes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

Fascinating how poems conjour up different associations for us - Marj for you it was our dear friend Emily - remember when Scrawler found one Emily poem after the other all about bees...This went on for nearly  2 months last summer and early fall just before Seniornet went away. I miss Scrawler so much but do not have her email.

For me the poem is reminiscent of the Keats Ode to a  Nightingale - maybe not so much the poem as him sitting in that straight wooden chair for hours out in the meadow listening to the Nightingale. Wait a minute didn't we learn when we focused on Keats that a Nightingale is a Thrush - hmmm something about there being all these different species of Thrushes - Well regardless it is a lovely poem.

I wonder if this line The Century's corpse outleant is the clue that the poem was written at the end of the nineteenth century.

I love the lines -
So little cause for carollings
Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things

Those lines and the Oxen poem you would never think this man early in his life according to various Bio's suffered a crisis of faith that he never recovered from.  I wonder if he suffered a crisis of Religion rather than Faith and folks assumed based on appearance he no longer had an association with Christianity.

ALF43

« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »
BARB-  the programs that have been designed for us are many.  The education department in our "On Top of The World" community strives to be on the cutting edge of life-long learning and as such is a focal point of our active community. 

These exciting educational programs provide hundreds of opportunities throughout the year to learn and grow. Our outstanding faculty is involved in designing classes that build on our active adults’ knowledge and experiences and stimulate and challenge us to become more engaged in education.

They offer  300+  dfiferent classes each year.

Topics of interest include: 
  • Legal series
  • Health related topics
  • Arts & Crafts
  • painting, photography

• Culinary Series
  • Veternary Medicine
  • Image Editing
  • Plants and flora of Florida

They have visiting professors such as Dr. Keene and Ann Ryan who is doing a 2 part series on Mark Twain.  The director of the education department asks for new ideas & topics on a regular basis.  It is wonderful and I enjoy it so much.  I have always loved school and studying.  That is why I love our site so much.  There are always people to help and guide me while I am learning.

Dr. Keene is doing a 2 part series on King Lear, followed with a two part series on Poetry.
Current Events is a biggie but our insturctor has limited that to a 1 hour course twice/month.  We barely get started and it is time to close.  She suffers from MS and just can no do it any more. 
We have people living here from all over the country and the world, for that matter, and they each contribute to our education dept. 
Sometimes there is a fee, sometime there is not.  If you are not a resident there is always a fee.

Thanks for asking, you can tell I am psyched.

fairanna

« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2009, 12:24:09 PM »
Thanks one and all for the poems you have added...one thing Hardy wrote so many we can never run out ....Odd I did choose between the poem I posted and The Oxen and Darkling Thrush  Being a cat lover , my last one died about 14 years ago at 19 years old and I still miss him as well as others that shared my life  Have written poems about most of my pets when they left me..The cat Napoleon I wrote Napoleons Farewell Address ...Back to Hardy I have to read at least 5-6 poems before I decide which to post..the one I chose today is because I am so grateful to lifetime of memories ...people and places that are no longer in my life I can visit again and again so memories bring them back again ...

Joys of Memory

When the spring comes round, and a certain day
Looks out from the brume by the eastern copsetrees
And says , Remember,
I begin again , as if it were new,
A day of like date I once lived through,
Whiling it hour by hour away;
So shall I do till my December,
When spring comes round.

I take my holiday then and my rest
Away from the dun life here about me,
Old hours re-greeting
With the quiet sense that bring they must
Such throbs as at first, till I house with dust,
As in the numbness my heartsome zest
For things that were, be past repeating
When spring comes round.

fairanna

« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »
PS Alf it sounds as if they are in the LIFE LONG LEARNING program  The local university offers it and I was part of that program , thankfully, until my hearing loss became too great to hear or participate...Many cities and places offer this program and it is wonderful ...we have retired professors, published authors, experts in many fields that offer classes or lectures and just add so much to living..they also offered trips to members to places we were studying, and I was able to join them again until my hearing made it difficult ...

When my husband died it offered a way to keep on living and learning and being part of life...I miss it a great deal but am thankful for having been part of this program once...the original SN also helped and that makes me so GRATEFUL for those who have given this place and others so age doesn't mean the end but the continuing of our life...

Babi

« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2009, 09:15:35 AM »
 Well, what do you know, BARB.  Apparently, I have a coppice stool in my front yard.  Originally, the tree had three trunks. (I don't know why; it was like that when I moved in.)  Then years later a crew turned up and said they had to cut the tree down because the roots were endangering a gas line.  I pointed out that simply cutting the tree down would not kill the roots, but the spokesman just shrugged and said they were following their orders.  Sure enough, the tree came back with extra shoots and a coppice stool.

As I recall, the poem I posted was in a book published a couple of years after the turn of the century, so I also thought it was probably writtenat that time.

ALF, your list of courses offered does sound stimulating. Our local college offers
courses for seniors, but the tuition doesn't fit my budget.  Still, I can learn quite
a lot searching the net and watching TV...and of course, from my buddies on Seniorlearn.

Now, see, FAIRANNA.  Here I didn't even know Thomas Hardy wrote poetry, and now I have learned he wrote a great deal of poetry, and I'm liking it very much.  His poems so far do have a note of sad yearning.  I'm wondering if they are all like that.

MarjV

« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »
ALF - the programs you describe are wonderful sounding!   Where are
you?

And thanks for the book title, Alf.

I have to do my lifef-lonjg learning via the computer ;; that;w precisely
why I invested in them for 10 years now.

fairanna

« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
Babi I      just reread Hardy's bio to make sure I was right  if you follow Barbara's link and read the whole bio I am sure you will agree his life was not perfect and held a lot of disappointments ...I think even while writing something positive he also felt a tinge of sadness that life has so many moments of sorrow.. of beauty that is fleeting ...he wrote what he was feeling ..and that is what a poet should do ...and each poem is only a small part of what he is feeling.....like life not always perfect or simple I am glad by the way you are finding you like him  Strange for me I read some of his books but never associated him with his poetry until I bought a book and read his bio.....

MarjV

« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2009, 12:37:37 PM »
And thanks for the cat symbolism link, Barb.

fairanna

« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2009, 12:44:40 PM »
PS  Brume is mist and copsetrees are a small number of trees clustered together ...ps always learning , never ceases , or decreases ..

bellemere

« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2009, 08:25:49 PM »
Re the Darkling Thrush
darkling? darkling? Heard that word  twice before:
Matthew Arnold, Dover Beach: and we are met as on a darkling plain where ignorant armies clash by night.

And I remember a book from the 60' s Up the  Down Staircase about hight school.  A student wrote a love letter to her English teacher, calling him "darkling" and the soulless clod corrected the letter with red ink telling her that darkling was not a word. In the book, she took her own life.  The jerk of an English teacher never read Matthew Arnold?  Or Thomas Hardy?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
According to the dictionary "darkling" means "in the dark".

When I hear it, I think of dark falling, that is the time of day when our American thrushes are most likely to sing. The nightengale is not found here in the US, but I assume it sings at night.

All of the thrushes are very musical singers. (robins arethe exception: they have traded singing ability for that pretty breast, and have a rather boring song. Bluebirds manage to be both beautiful and good singers, but the other thrushes are rather plain looking).

We had a Wood Thrush that nested in the woods back of my house in Maryland. After dinner, I would sit on my patio with a cup of coffee and he would seranade me with his bell-like song. Beautiful.

Babi

« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2009, 08:21:01 AM »
It's been so long since I saw "Up the Down Staircase", Bellmarie, that I don't really remember it, except as a very good and moving movie.  Perhaps the English teacher felt it best to discourage this student 'crush' by simply keeping his 'place' as a teacher.

I dug out an old college text and found a series of three poems by Hardy called "Three Satires of Circumstace".  They strike a somewhat different note from the others I've read.  I'm posting the first of the three today.

1. AT TEA

The kettle descants in a cozy drone,
And the young wife looks in her husband's face,
And then at her guest's, and shows in her own
Her sense that she fills an envied place;
And the visiting lady is all abloom,
And says there was never so sweet a room.

And the happy young housewife does not know
That the woman beside her was first his choice,
Till the fates ordained it could not be so...
Betraying nothing in look or voice
The guest sits smiling and sips her tea,
And he throws her a stray glance yearningly.

MarjV

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2009, 08:37:31 AM »
What a story in that poem "At Tea"!    The mind can go countless places with imagining.
I like it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2009, 10:18:28 AM »
Wow - talk about saying something so subtle that the politeness overshadows the beating heart. Can you imagine the state of his feelings - oh my... Babi I can't wait for tomorrow's installment...

What a lovely word Darkling is - one of those words we seldom hear anylonger and would be nice to introduce back into our vocabulary. I remember when my children were little I read a book that used the word 'Hush' and from that day onward I determined rather than telling children to be quiet or rudely tell them as some did to shut up I would ask them to hush - it worked - something to be said for a Victorian vocabulary..

This poem of Thomas Hardy I thought was interesting - Not sure of the message but something about the value of hiding his feelings - or maybe hiding what he does with his life so that others do not gossip - is what I am getting out of it.  But then the Title does not support that  interpretation - the Title seems to point to the lady loosing interest putting his project on hold.

Postponement 

SNOW-BOUND in woodland, a mournful word, 
Dropt now and then from the bill of a bird, 
Reached me on wind-wafts; and thus I heard, 
        Wearily waiting:— 

“I planned her a nest in a leafless tree,         
But the passers eyed and twitted me, 
And said: ‘How reckless a bird is he, 
        Cheerily mating!’ 

“Fear-filled, I stayed me till summer-tide, 
In lewth of leaves to throne her bride;         
But alas! her love for me waned and died, 
        Wearily waiting. 

“Ah, had I been like some I see, 
Born to an evergreen nesting-tree, 
None had eyed and twitted me,         
        Cheerily mating!”

fairanna

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2009, 11:53:01 AM »
Sometimes it is hard to determine what a poet is really saying ..they will use words or some other thing to tell what they are really thinking  When I read the poem you posted I felt he had been wooing some lady  who had refused him  and others had noticed and teased him ..but had he been a bird he could have wooed in the open and built a nest again in the open and no one had paid attention. One of the best thing about poetry the poet can use words meant to lead the reader astray but clearly tells what he is feeling ..

At Tea hmmm seems like a whole story in those two verses but wonder what the rest will be....when I read the darkling bird I saw a bird at evening , its feathers darkened by the time of day...poetry always paints pictures in my mind  now to look up a Hardy poem to share.....

fairanna

« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2009, 07:45:58 PM »
A short one since I have to type one out Have'nt tried to look Hardy on net...this one perhaps will remind us we do change as we age......:-) 

The Tresses

'When the air was damp
It made my curls hang slack
As they kissed my neck and back
While I footed the salt-aired track
    I loved to tramp.

'When it was dry
They would roll up tight
As I went on in the light
Of the sun,which my own sprite
     Seemed to outvie.

'Now I am old,
And have not one gay curl
As I had when a girl
For dampness to unfurl
    Or sun uphold!'

Wonder if they had curling irons like my mother used heated on the gas stove...to make my straight hair at least slightly curl.

bellemere

« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2009, 08:54:16 AM »
"At Tea" gave me a Robert Frost vibe.  What is it/  The hidden story?  The homey setting?  The meaning packed into a few words?  Let's hear the rest!

bellemere

« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2009, 09:05:26 AM »
Straight hair!  My mother's determination to give me curls ran to paper curlers, bobby pins, rubber spoolies, head-banging  plastic rollers  and eventually the dreaded Tonette.  I wonder if Hardy's mom ever dressed him in dresses as so many little toddler boys were dressed in those days.  With long curls too. Do boys with naturally curly hair grow naturally curly beards and mustaches?
)That woman also pinched my cheeks pretty hard, on the way to birthday parties, to make them pink! I guess today she would be cited for child abuse.