Author Topic: Poetry Page  (Read 717188 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Poetry Page
« Reply #320 on: April 03, 2009, 01:23:02 PM »
Welcome to our Poetry Page.
Our haven for those who listen to words that open hearts, imagination, and who allow our feelings be known about the poems we share - This is our continuing tradition. Please join us this month of April as we explore the work of Dylan Thomas.

Dylan Marlais Thomas,
born 1914, in Swansea, Wales

J.M.William Turner - The Wreckers
The name Dylan comes from the Mabinogion, a collection of 11 medieval Welsh tales. The word means "sea". In the tale Math, the son of Mathonwy, challenges Aranrhod, his niece who claims to be a virgin, to step over his magic wand.

"Aranrhod stepped over the wand, and with that step she dropped a sturdy boy with thick yellow hair; the boy gave a loud cry, and with that cry she made her way for the door..."Well," said Math, "I will arrange for the baptism of this one...and I will call him Dylan."
The boy was baptized, whereupon he immediately made for the sea, and when he came to the sea he took on its nature and swam as well as the best fish. He was called Dylan (sea) son of Ton (wave), for no wave ever broke beneath him."

Marlais is the stream which runs from the hills near the birthplace of Dylan Thomas' great uncle Gwilym Marles Thomas. Marles is a variation of the name Marlais. Dylan's sister Nancy also bore a variation of the name Marles.

Discussion Leaders: BarbStAubrey & Fairanna
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marjifay

« Reply #321 on: April 04, 2009, 07:03:39 AM »
There is an interesting article/essay by Jim Holt in today's NY Times called "Got Poetry?"  He talks about how a few years ago he started learning poetry by heart, a few lines a day, and now has memorized about a hundred poems.  He recites them out loud as he jogs along the Hudson River.  He recommends a book by the the former U.S. poet laureate, Robert Pinsky, ESSENTIAL PLEASURES; A NEW ANTHOLOGY OF POEMS TO READ ALOUD, which comes with a CD.

It reminded me that as a teenager I used to memorize poems I liked and I was surprized to find that I can still recite some of the first lines of the Prologue to Canterbury Tales -- "When the Aprile with his shourers soote...."  I just love the sound of it.

And Little Boy Blue by Eugene Field --I cry every time I recite it.
Another one that I learned that makes me cry is "In Flanders Fields."
And I love the sound of The Raven -- "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary..."

Did/does anyone here like to memorize poems?
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

fairanna

« Reply #322 on: April 04, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »
Marj I have memorized poems since I was a little girl (81 now) and still can recite them I dont think one can go wrong in learning poems by heart ,., they can be a great help when needed and you dont have a book handy, Little Boy Blue I used to recite when I felt sad  no reason I just did and reciting that poem helped me ..Flanders Fields is another one and High FLight which meant a lot to me since my husband was a pilot in the USAF  Right now I serving as a caregiver to a DAV and am trying to get him into the local VA hospital  the regular hospitals dont take them and he needs CARE he cant walk etc but I will be thinking of everyone and checking but this is my last post to let you know what is going on at this time...love you all and Life is poetry and POETRY IS LIFE ...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #323 on: April 04, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Anna the plight of your friend reminds me of this Dylan Thomas poem - the title is said as the opposite of what Dylan is saying in the poem
I Have Longed To Move Away by Dylan Thomas

I have longed to move away
From the hissing of the spent lie
And the old terrors' continual cry
Growing more terrible as the day
Goes over the hill into the deep sea;
From the repetition of salutes,
For there are ghosts in the air
And ghostly echoes on paper,
And the thunder of calls and notes.

I have longed to move away but am afraid;
Some life, yet unspent, might explode
Out of the old lie burning on the ground,
And, crackling into the air, leave me half-blind.
Neither by night's ancient fear,
The parting of hat from hair,
Pursed lips at the receiver,
Shall I fall to death's feather.
By these I would not care to die,
Half convention and half lie.

We will be thinking of  you and wishing  you God Speed -

Marj what a great idea to memorize  a bit of poetry each day - hadn't thought of that although my fondest childhood memories are of my father who when in a good mood would go on with all the gestures and ring out either Longfellow's Paul Revere's Ride or The Wreck of the Hesperus.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mrssherlock

« Reply #324 on: April 04, 2009, 09:10:42 PM »
Anna:  So sorry to hear about your difficulties finding health care for your DH.  From now on High Flight will bring thoughts of you and him.  That is one of my favorites and I bitterly resented Ronald Reagan quoting it without attribution.  Little Boy Blue sure is a weeper.  My mother was fond of those sentimental poems.  When I was a little tyke I used to listen to the radion playing Little Sir Echo and cry and cry.  The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat is another one from my childhood.  Has anyone read A A Milne's poetry?  When We Were Very Very Young and Now We Are Six?  Wonderful.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

bellemere

« Reply #325 on: April 04, 2009, 10:19:22 PM »
Here are some I have memorized: Never Love Unless; They Told Me Heraclites; When in
Disgrace with Fortune; Weary with Toil I Haste Me to my Bed; The Lake Isle of Innifree; The Stolen Child; the last part of Ulysses; Because I Could Not Stop for Death; Dover Beach; I know there are more but?
I say them to help me sleep; in waiting rooms; on drives to help me stay awake; sometimes just for the pleasure.
Memorizing gets harder as the brain gets older and the old synapses fail to connect!
I am going to try Fern Hill!

ALF43

« Reply #326 on: April 05, 2009, 08:09:11 AM »
Barb- I only had time to muse the first stanza.  It sounds like a war zone with fears, cries, salutes  growing "more terrible" day in and day out.
The ghosts in the air!  Are they the ones that have fallen?

What is the hissing of the serpent lie"?  Is it the lies told regarding impending freedom?
I thought Thomas wrote more about religious issues.

I shall return after church.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #327 on: April 05, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »
Wow Bellemere Fern Hill! Here it is...

FERN HILL

Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs
     About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green,
       The night above the dingle starry,
         Time let me hail and climb
       Golden in the heydays of his eyes,
     And honoured among wagons I was prince of the apple towns
     And once below a time I lordly had the trees and leaves
         Trail with daisies and barley
       Down the rivers of the windfall light.

And as I was green and carefree, famous among the barns
     About the happy yard and singing as the farm was home,
       In the sun that is young once only,
         Time let me play and be
       Golden in the mercy of his means,
     And green and golden I was huntsman and herdsman, the calves
     Sang to my horn, the foxes on the hills barked clear and cold,
         And the sabbath rang slowly
       In the pebbles of the holy streams.

All the sun long it was running, it was lovely, the hay
     Fields high as the house, the tunes from the chimneys, it was air
       And playing, lovely and watery
         And fire green as grass.
       And nightly under the simple stars
     As I rode to sleep the owls were bearing the farm away,
     All the moon long I heard, blessed among stables, the nightjars
       Flying with the ricks, and the horses
         Flashing into the dark.

And then to awake, and the farm, like a wanderer white
     With the dew, come back, the cock on his shoulder: it was all
       Shining, it was Adam and maiden,
         The sky gathered again
       And the sun grew round that very day.
     So it must have been after the birth of the simple light
     In the first, spinning place, the spellbound horses walking warm
       Out of the whinnying green stable
         On to the fields of praise.

And honoured among foxes and pheasants by the gay house
     Under the new made clouds and happy as the heart was long,
       In the sun born over and over,
         I ran my heedless ways,
       My wishes raced through the house high hay
     And nothing I cared, at my sky blue trades, that time allows
     In all his tuneful turning so few and such morning songs
       Before the children green and golden
         Follow him out of grace.

Nothing I cared, in the lamb white days, that time would take me
     Up to the swallow thronged loft by the shadow of my hand,
       In the moon that is always rising,
         Nor that riding to sleep
       I should hear him fly with the high fields
     And wake to the farm forever fled from the childless land.
     Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
         Time held me green and dying
       Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Alf I had not heard that Dylan Thomas was much of a poet for religious views but he sure has a way with words.

I too am in a rush this mornng - be back early this evening and  yes, let's look again at that first poem shared in this discussion.

ALF43

« Reply #328 on: April 05, 2009, 01:16:56 PM »
Good, thanks Barb.  It is always so much more enjoyable when everyone gives their own views.  I love to look at a poem or prose thru the eyes of someone else.  I love it when I have this grand epiphany of "oh my I never saw that." 8)
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #329 on: April 05, 2009, 07:54:05 PM »
As I was writing this I realized there is another even deeper interpretation that could be made - but for now this is how I  understand the poem.

O – Out of a bed of love
 Says to me either a place we consider safe in a house where there is a bed and where you are loved or maybe the birth of someone that was born out of a bed of love

When that immortal hospital made one more moove to soothe
Where efforts were made to soothe – almost futile efforts with move being broadened to moove

The curless counted body
A reference to a growling mutt that we often see chained in yards with the greatest disrepair but the person is not a cur and so the image is that he is treated as a cur by some and he is just a counted body therefore is not an individual treated with love.

And ruin and his causes
Whatever the cause that brought about his ruin

Over the barbed and shooting sea assumed an army
The sea is the battle line that is barbed as the trenches of WWI and the shooting is on the sea and on the other side of the sea that assumed or consumed an army

And swept into our wounds and houses
The nation felt a wound that that the aggression fills as it war fills the houses with war preparation, rations, loss of men and boys, etc.

I climb to greet the war in which I have no heart but there is only
        That one dark I owe the light.

The darkness of war the darkness of his spirit the darkness of his actions that fighting a war requires he owes to that which allows him his life, his light of learning, opportunity etc.

Call for confessor and wiser mirror but there is none
Call for the priest, who should be filled with moral outrage and wise men of the nation who one would think both would hold a more moral view about using aggression to settle a dispute.

To glow after the god stoning night
To enlighten us after a night of both storm and worry in the conscience - or -  possibly after a night of rockets and bombs.

And I am struck as lonely as a holy marker by the sun.
He feels so alone as Jesus crucified [holy marker] during the day after a night like the dark night of the soul

No
          Praise that the springtime is all
Gabriel and radiant shrubbery as the morning grows joyful
               Out of the woebegone pyre

Out of the fire and hell - Spring, Gabriel announcing a new birth, the resurrection as the bible story about God appearing as a light from the bush

And the multitude's sultry tear turns cool on the weeping wall,
All those involved have experienced the pain and show sorrow

My arising prodgidal
Sun the father his quiver full of the infants of pure fire,

The returning sun – as a repentant son - as if the dawn of a new day - the authority with their ability to call upon and use the young men who are like children or infants trained so they are like pure fire. They represent the authority of the nation and along with their youth act in purity but are capable of fire

But blessed be hail and upheaval
Their capability to cause upheaval

That uncalm still it is sure alone to stand and sing
The war continues with all its sound

Alone in the husk of man's home
Without as in the nation but more, within what is left of a man’s soul
And the mother and toppling house of the holy spring,

From the mother who birthed him to the upside down values he is a part of as compared to his childhood education of values based in God's word

If only for a last time.
If only God's word for a last time before either his body or soul dies.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #330 on: April 05, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »
 I have not worked it out but I can see a few key words that lead me to think this poem could have a more personnel interpretation when we consider our body the house of our soul and the sea of temptation that we have learned to stay clear but we engage - I  need to check to see if it works but my gut says that line of interpretation would work.

ALF43

« Reply #331 on: April 05, 2009, 07:57:53 PM »
OK I am totaly lost now Barb.  Which poem are you referring to? ???

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #332 on: April 06, 2009, 06:28:22 PM »
I was sharing thoughts on the first poem that started this discussion - I think there are many insights that as I was sharing in the preceding post it hit me - with his name meaning the sea and the usual symbolic for  house being our inner selves I realized the poem could have a deeper more personal meaning other than the one I shared in the earlier post - the words of the poem are in red.

Did any of  you know about this movie - it is now on my list of 'to see' -
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2009/04/03/lots_of_love_and_a_little_poetry_2_women_and_dylan_thomas/

bellemere

« Reply #333 on: April 06, 2009, 09:10:32 PM »
Barb, I didn't know Fern Hill was so long.  What I first read must have been a two-stanza fragment.  But it is so evocative of a free, happy childhood like mine, full of running, playing in the sun, blessed with a great set of parents and a comfortable home, and none of the worries of kids today.  My grandchildren will never know that kind of childhoodl  Their time is so structured and supervised; music lessons, team sports, day camps, etc. And that ultimate indignity, the Play Date!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #334 on: April 07, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
Yes, Fern Hill is a delight isn't it Bellemere - that will be a wonderful poem to commit to memory if only a stanza or two.

here is another of his less word stretching poems -

Clown In The Moon
by Dylan Thomas

My tears are like the quiet drift
Of petals from some magic rose;
And all my grief flows from the rift
Of unremembered skies and snows.

I think, that if I touched the earth,
It would crumble;
It is so sad and beautiful,
So tremulously like a dream.

MarjV

« Reply #335 on: April 07, 2009, 11:54:39 AM »
That poem above reminds of the clown with the tear.  First thing I thought of.

MarjV

« Reply #336 on: April 09, 2009, 02:40:06 PM »
DO NOT GO GENTLE......

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

You can hear it read at this page- it's wonderful:
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15377

MarjV

« Reply #337 on: April 09, 2009, 02:42:17 PM »
Found commentary on Wikipedia about "Do not go gentle......"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_go_gentle_into_that_good_night

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #338 on: April 09, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »
Great - thanks Marj - the analysis is a good one don't you think - This is one of the poems of a group of poems read by the poet on a tape that I listen to in my car - my big worry is most new cars are no longer providing a tape recorder - only a CD recorder and I have quite a collection of tapes that I like to listen to while driving.

MarjV

« Reply #339 on: April 09, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »
Barb - have someone transfer the tapes to cds - with the right equipment it can easily be done.

I have always liked Do Not Go Gentle.....   Spit and fire in the very elderly I always admire.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #340 on: April 09, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »
yes I noticed - is it hannersher Shimmler [spell] - anyhow they have equipment for changeign tapes to CD as well as changing DVDs to CDs  but I wonder if the cost for the equipment is greater than replacing the tapes - I have to add them up and figure it out because after the inventory is done I have no more  use for the equipment and I am not a good eBay seller.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2009, 11:07:15 PM »
There Was A Saviour
by Dylan Thomas

There was a saviour
Rarer than radium,
Commoner than water, crueller than truth;
Children kept from the sun
Assembled at his tongue
To hear the golden note turn in a groove,
Prisoners of wishes locked their eyes
In the jails and studies of his keyless smiles.

The voice of children says
From a lost wilderness
There was calm to be done in his safe unrest,
When hindering man hurt
Man, animal, or bird
We hid our fears in that murdering breath,
Silence, silence to do, when earth grew loud,
In lairs and asylums of the tremendous shout.

There was glory to hear
In the churches of his tears,
Under his downy arm you sighed as he struck,
O you who could not cry
On to the ground when a man died
Put a tear for joy in the unearthly flood
And laid your cheek against a cloud-formed shell:
Now in the dark there is only yourself and myself.

Two proud, blacked brothers cry,
Winter-locked side by side,
To this inhospitable hollow year,
O we who could not stir
One lean sigh when we heard
Greed on man beating near and fire neighbour
But wailed and nested in the sky-blue wall
Now break a giant tear for the little known fall,

For the drooping of homes
That did not nurse our bones,
Brave deaths of only ones but never found,
Now see, alone in us,
Our own true strangers' dust
Ride through the doors of our unentered house.
Exiled in us we arouse the soft,
Unclenched, armless, silk and rough love that breaks all rocks

ALF43

« Reply #342 on: April 14, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »
Barb, I would be happy to read any comment that you have on this Dylan Poem.  There was A Saviour.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #343 on: April 14, 2009, 03:24:33 PM »
Wow you sure pick em Alf - later I am full to the brim just now with work - back tonight - in the meantime  here is the poem.

There Was a Saviour

There was a saviour
Rarer than radium,
Commoner than water, crueller than truth;
Children kept from the sun
Assembled at his tongue
To hear the golden note turn in a groove,
Prisoners of wishes locked their eyes
In the jails and studies of his keyless smiles.

The voice of children says
From a lost wilderness
There was calm to be done in his safe unrest,
When hindering man hurt
Man, animal, or bird
We hid our fears in that murdering breath,
Silence, silence to do, when earth grew loud,
In lairs and asylums of the tremendous shout.

There was glory to hear
In the churches of his tears,
Under his downy arm you sighed as he struck,
O you who could not cry
On to the ground when a man died
Put a tear for joy in the unearthly flood
And laid your cheek against a cloud-formed shell:
Now in the dark there is only yourself and myself.

Two proud, blacked brothers cry,
Winter-locked side by side,
To this inhospitable hollow year,
O we who could not stir
One lean sigh when we heard
Greed on man beating near and fire neighbour
But wailed and nested in the sky-blue wall
Now break a giant tear for the little known fall,

For the drooping of homes
That did not nurse our bones,
Brave deaths of only ones but never found,
Now see, alone in us,
Our own true strangers' dust
Ride through the doors of our unentered house.
Exiled in us we arouse the soft,
Unclenched, armless, silk and rough love that breaks all rocks

ALF43

« Reply #344 on: April 14, 2009, 04:44:35 PM »
Anybody else want to take a stab at this one?  Babi?  Anna?
Is Dylan talking THE Saviour here?

fairanna

« Reply #345 on: April 16, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »
Today I find myself alone...my companion and friend family left for home,. my oldest and her husband the same , my local family , friends and all have been with us and it leaves us the sad job of finding a way to move on ,. Grateful we had him in our lives..I know poetry will give me a way to  remember and bless the time we all have shared...fairanna

mrssherlock

« Reply #346 on: April 16, 2009, 06:02:26 PM »
Anna:  It is the final peace, though it leaves us with burning eyes and sleepless nights.  Suddenly we are fewer than we were and the void is infinite is size and scope.  However trite it is, remember that the pain will lessen and we will be able of go on even when we feel as if a part of us has been amputated.  My prayers are with you. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #347 on: April 18, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
Once It Was The Colour Of Saying by Dylan Thomas

Once it was the colour of saying
Soaked my table the uglier side of a hill
With a capsized field where a school sat still
And a black and white patch of girls grew playing;
The gentle seaslides of saying I must undo
That all the charmingly drowned arise to cockcrow and kill.
When I whistled with mitching boys through a reservoir park
Where at night we stoned the cold and cuckoo
Lovers in the dirt of their leafy beds,
The shade of their trees was a word of many shades
And a lamp of lightning for the poor in the dark;
Now my saying shall be my undoing,
And every stone I wind off like a reel.

Mitching:
To loiter, lollygag, procrastinate, or behaving in a lackadaisical fashion in an attempt to avoid a previously set obligation, especially under the pretense of dealing with a meltdown, glitch, that would hinder participation in the aforementioned activity.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #348 on: April 20, 2009, 03:33:20 AM »
Lie Still, Sleep Becalmed
by Dylan Thomas

Lie still, sleep becalmed, sufferer with the wound
In the throat, burning and turning. All night afloat
On the silent sea we have heard the sound
That came from the wound wrapped in the salt sheet.

Under the mile off moon we trembled listening
To the sea sound flowing like blood from the loud wound
And when the salt sheet broke in a storm of singing
The voices of all the drowned swam on the wind.

Open a pathway through the slow sad sail,
Throw wide to the wind the gates of the wandering boat
For my voyage to begin to the end of my wound,
We heard the sea sound sing, we saw the salt sheet tell.
Lie still, sleep becalmed, hide the mouth in the throat,
Or we shall obey, and ride with you through the drowned.

fairanna

« Reply #349 on: April 20, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »
I have a knot of bitterness I cant seem to let go I know the thoughts and poems you left for me to read ....do help and time will allow me to remember all the good but a week ago I watched his pain and felt it as well and today I share a poem ...because I have to give thoughts to what I feel before I can move on...I also posted this poem with another group of poets  oddly enough I believe only poets and poet lovers will understand because like me they feel

My  father died at home 
his hands peacefully lay
Across his chest ,the priest
had gently placed....
My husband died in his sleep
with my arm across his chest
what a blessed way to go
for him, for me , for family
near   
another friend's heart ceased to beat
at a meeting of his beloved lodge
but you,  who battled long and hard
against the  pains of life
was moved to a hospital
to suffer the last indignities
poked and prodded to see
if you could be saved to suffer more
by your bed I watched you  fight
not to live but to die
death delayed would not let you go
and you  fought  well to leave
for you knew it was not life
that remained a friend 
but  death  who was not the foe

remembering John
always , anna April 20, 2009, 11:07 AM©

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #350 on: April 20, 2009, 12:16:55 PM »
Anna the trauma you are feeling is touching us - I can only pray that you will find peace.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #351 on: April 21, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Hold Hard, These Ancient Minutes In The Cuckoo's Month

Hold hard, these ancient minutes in the cuckoo's month,
Under the lank, fourth folly on Glamorgan's hill,
As the green blooms ride upward, to the drive of time;
Time, in a folly's rider, like a county man
Over the vault of ridings with his hound at heel,
Drives forth my men, my children, from the hanging south.

Country, your sport is summer, and December's pools
By crane and water-tower by the seedy trees
Lie this fifth month unskated, and the birds have flown;
Holy hard, my country children in the world if tales,
The greenwood dying as the deer fall in their tracks,
The first and steepled season, to the summer's game.

And now the horns of England, in the sound of shape,
Summon your snowy horsemen, and the four-stringed hill,
Over the sea-gut loudening, sets a rock alive;
Hurdles and guns and railings, as the boulders heave,
Crack like a spring in vice, bone breaking April,
Spill the lank folly's hunter and the hard-held hope.

Down fall four padding weathers on the scarlet lands,
Stalking my children's faces with a tail of blood,
Time, in a rider rising, from the harnessed valley;
Hold hard, my country darlings, for a hawk descends,
Golden Glamorgan straightens, to the falling birds.
Your sport is summer as the spring runs angrily.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #352 on: April 22, 2009, 05:57:36 PM »
I Have Longed To Move Away

From the hissing of the spent lie
And the old terrors' continual cry
Growing more terrible as the day
Goes over the hill into the deep sea;
From the repetition of salutes,
For there are ghosts in the air
And ghostly echoes on paper,
And the thunder of calls and notes.

I have longed to move away but am afraid;
Some life, yet unspent, might explode
Out of the old lie burning on the ground,
And, crackling into the air, leave me half-blind.
Neither by night's ancient fear,
The parting of hat from hair,
Pursed lips at the receiver,
Shall I fall to death's feather.
By these I would not care to die,
Half convention and half lie.

fairanna

« Reply #353 on: April 23, 2009, 02:12:16 PM »
Barbara thanks for posting those poems.. it is odd I think to find in almost every poem some thing one has thought and felt ,...and to see it in there lets you know it was not the poets intent to keep it to hidden but to share..

I have searched and found an April poem ..April is the real beginning of spring of life returning to a earth that seemed dead , and dark and dreary...I have realized I do have the right to mourn but I dont have the right to feel sorry for me...it aches when I go somewhere we went together ,, the house is full of his things left behind by his family for the meaning was not theirs to know..some I have let go ..others I most likely will keep to remind me we walked a way together and it was good....today I checked out April poems on the net and found this one ..reminds me to ask myself what is this ...heartbreak and joy ...to reach the last one you sometimes have to feel the first .. my love to all and thanks April is here and  I am off to plant tomatoes because we both loved them and some other plants to cheer me and make the yard a pleasent place to remember ..love

Just Before April Came by Carl Sandburg

THE SNOW piles in dark places are gone.
Pools by the railroad tracks shine clear.
The gravel of all shallow places shines.
A white pigeon reels and somersaults.

Frogs plutter and squdge—and frogs beat the air with a recurring thin steel sliver of melody.
Crows go in fives and tens; they march their black feathers past a blue pool; they celebrate an old festival.
A spider is trying his webs, a pink bug sits on my hand washing his forelegs.
I might ask: Who are these people?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #354 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:27 PM »
Anna it sounds like you are at another morning of your life - this story poem by Dylan Thomas reminds me of turning the page while holding to what roots us and gives meaing to our lives.

http://www.wesjones.com/dylan.htm

fairanna

« Reply #355 on: April 25, 2009, 12:36:08 AM »
Barbara I don't know if I am totally ready but I do know that John is in a better place , without the pain he has suffered for many months and  I also know he was a thoughtful caring person who would be grieving for me ...and asking me to give him the peace he would want me to have ...good memories are a gift and he gave me many ..I have to smile when I see him lifting his arms heavenward when I did some dumb and saying Why me God Why me ? and I feel if he were here he would be asking the same thing ,feeling sad his death had wounded me so...

I am ready to go on but to be honest I have no idea ..and will rely on your suggestion or anyone here ..is there a special poet you would like to learn more about and their poems ...should we do something else .,..please let us know and Barbara we have known each other for a long time and you always have good ideas ..so help me out please 

This evening I did something I haven't done in quite awhile I drove after dark to Barnes and Noble for the poetry reading we do here twice a month ...John had been taking me ( it isn't far about 5 min away) and returning to pick me up because he didn't want me to go out by myself... I was so nervous but I did it and felt good about it ...so tell me all of you what would you like to do ..Poetry has been special to me as a person since I was a child and I know poetry helps me  in ways no other form does ...love to all , anna

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #356 on: April 25, 2009, 01:27:52 AM »
Anna why not go generic next month and choose a bit of nature as our theme rather than any one poet - in the past we have done a Spring month - how about this time we do a Bird and Wind month - the lightness of a bird that soars and the wind that can be soft or full both are like the spirit of something greater. In the case of the wind, an unseen force which can be as the memory of a loved one is an unseen force - the bird is the mythological messenger or God - it just feels to me like a great duo with so many poets writing about either birds or the wind or both.

fairanna

« Reply #357 on: April 25, 2009, 07:37:50 AM »
Barbara I love your idea ,...I knew I could count on you...Here in my corner of Virginia it seems we have by passed Spring and into summer! If I dont get my tomato plants out this weekend they will be wilted ,,,and the other seeds and bulbs will cook in the promised 90 degree temperatures and me as well working in the yard I will have to do those things early and drink lots of water,....and wind is something we have to deal with in summer , the birds are nesting and thunderstorms are predicited at the end of April...Perfect ...do have an idea for a heading ? I guess I could read about that and learn to help in that area .. for such a busy lady you have many talents ..perhaps some day we shall meet.. We lived in Texas at three different places while my husband was undergoing training to be a pilot  San Antonio, Hondo, and San Angelo ...I am thinking about going to California via train to see my brother in Sacramento ....and I think there is a train that goes to San Antonio ,..I suspect I wouldnt recognize the place it was a sleepy town when we lived there...I am remembering the song Across the Alamo in San Antone lived a pinto pony and a Navjo etc seemed it was described as sleepy..I understand that is certainly not the case now...well I guess I have done my post for now...below is  a poem I wrote remembering my husband and realize it can be used for anyone who has lost someone..

Remembering you....again

Oh, it is the first star of the evening
that begins my splintered night -
the residue of day still hovers ,
somewhere to the west , just out of sight.
As the darkness deepens,
more stars appear and send their light-
until the heavens are adorned with
a multitude of luminous bright,
coded messages from deep, dark space.
While I try to understand just
what they have to say,
a sliver of the silver moon rides into view-
washes the darkness of my room
with its resplendent hue.
Time and space waver, undulate

and I live again with you.

anna alexander
14 August 2005 ©

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #358 on: April 25, 2009, 03:29:24 PM »
We have the headings down to a science now Anna - so no fear - I find an appropriate photo or graphic and a few links that include poems and in this case maybe something about the mythology of birds and wind used in poetry -

I am pleased with this idea because let's face it we are like starting off as we did years ago - I think we have to build up again a reservoir of poetry before we are focusing again on one poet a month.

San Antonio is a large moving city now as compared to the years you were living there - I do not think the thru train to the west coast goes into San Antonio - it would be like taking a side trip - I think the train from Dallas goes into San Antonio and I am not sure if there is a train directly from San Antonio to New Orleans or if you have to go back north towards Dallas and then go over - I believe the train out of New Orleans goes all the way to Washington D.C. - if not it at least goes to Atlanta where you can switch trains to various eastern locations. The train used to stop here in Austin on its route between Dallas and San Antonio but that stopped some years back.

I wish there was a more direct trip from either Dallas or San Antonio to Atlanta - that would be a perfect way for me to visit my daughter - it is only a 3 hour drive from where she lives in North Carolina to Atlanta and she or my grandsons could pick me up - but with the convoluted way the trip is laid out it would take me days to make the trip.

Seems to me when I have looked at train travel in the past the trip from east to west is more easily accomplished by taking northern routes through the rockies from places like Chicago which easily hook into trains going to New York City and on south to D.C.

fairanna

« Reply #359 on: April 26, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »
Barbara I agree with your thoughts and am posting one of mine to get us on the way..the out door temps made me turn on the a/c yesterday The humidity is low so I can have ti at 72 and be very comfortable..I have been to CA twice by train I leave out of DC then CHicago then Denver , Salt Lake City and finally  Sacramento.. I love being on it through the High Rockies because there is no sign of any civilization there and it is awesome ,they move so slowly you can just drink it all in,..Went back again for a SN bash in Denver..out of Chicago I went to St Louis where I still have family  and on to Kansas City for a bash...I am going to check to see if I can return from CA via the southern route which might include San Antonio

any way for now here is the poem
Park Visit in Spring 2007

All day there were signs  spring is nearly here ,
Oaks  waved  halos of  incipient promises ---
Of green leaves  ,who will share their canopy
When hot summers days are near.

In early grass  bright green stalks
Hold  aloft white jonquils and sun struck daffodils
Proudly their blossoms nodded  as we passed by
On our early morning walk .

Encouraged by  warm air from the south
My dog and I headed for the park