Author Topic: Poetry Page  (Read 682710 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Poetry Page
« Reply #4840 on: December 01, 2016, 10:19:23 PM »
Our Poetry Page Celebrates
The December Holidays

Our Poetry Page has been a haven for those of us who listen to words that opens our heart and stirs our imagination. We tread lightly when acknowledging the moving sound that touches someone's inner-self...

Snow was falling,
so much like stars
filling the dark trees
that one could easily imagine
its reason for being was nothing more
than prettiness.

Mary Oliver

Welcome! Please share
December's Holiday and Early Winter Poems.

Discussion Leaders: Barb
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4841 on: December 01, 2016, 10:49:02 PM »
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That’s how the light gets in.

Leonard Cohen
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4842 on: December 02, 2016, 05:31:45 PM »

I heard a bird sing
    In the dark of December
    A magical thing
    And sweet to remember.

‘We are nearer to Spring
    Than we were in September,'
    I heard a bird sing
    In the dark of December.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4843 on: December 03, 2016, 05:31:09 PM »

This World's Joy - Anonymous. c. 1300

WYNTER wakeneth al my care,   
Nou this leves waxeth bare;   
Ofte I sike ant mourne sare   
  When hit cometh in my thoht   
  Of this worldes joie, hou hit goth al to noht.

Nou hit is, and nou hit nys,   
Al so hit ner nere, ywys;   
That moni mon seith, soth hit ys:   
  Al goth bote Godes wille:   
  Alle we shule deye, thah us like ylle.

Al that gren me graueth grene,   
Nou hit faleweth albydene:   
Jesu, help that hit be sene   
  Ant shild us from helle!   
  For y not whider y shal, ne hou longe her duelle.   

GLOSS:  [leves waxeth bare;] leaves grow bare. ---  [sike] sigh. --- [Of this worldes joie, hou hit goth al to noht.] Of this world's joy, how it all goes to nothing. --- [nys] is not. --- [al so hit ner nere] as though it had never been. --- [That moni mon seith, soth hit ys:] What many man say, sooth is truth: --- [bote] but, except.  --- [thah] though.  --- [ylle] ill --- [faleweth] fadeth.  --- [albydene] altogether.  --- [hit be sene] this be understood --- [y not whider] I know not whither.  --- [her duelle] here dwell.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4844 on: December 03, 2016, 07:43:32 PM »
Barb, thank you for that.  I would never even have come across that poem, much less made sense of it, but with the aid of your nice translation system, I was able to work through it, and after going over it several times, read it through more smoothly, getting the feel and spirit of it.  It fits beautifully into our winter mood, mournful, with a plea for Christ's mercy.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4845 on: December 04, 2016, 05:13:35 AM »
Old English is really a different language isn't it Pat - you can get some words but the spelling adds to the problem of understanding - to think this was the language that became our language today. Interesting isn't it to get a glimpse into the hearts of men before they knew the earth was round, when the only thing that held them together was a God and among the educated in Europe that was a Christian God.

Only read last year that in order to get an education the only place was with the clergy - took me a bit to think it through - I guess I imagined private schools had secular teachers but evidently only a few - never really thought that through either, that the church was an empire the Holy Roman Empire and all these nations were subject to the Empire and so all thinking saw the Christ as a power and even after Henry, his Anglican Church was a form of Christianity with the clergy doing the lion's share of teaching.

Donne wrote some raunchy poems, married, had 12 children yet, he becomes a priest and in time becomes Dean of St Paul's. Other well known poets like Ben Johnson attended Westminster School that was within the precincts of Westminster Abbey and Christopher Marlowe attended Corpus College, Cambridge - read a biography of Petrarch. He and his brother had to become priests in order to be educated - one of his quotes is that it requires time to be devoted to God that does not leave the time needed to study Law. Both studied law but his brother, although he married, remained an active priest (marriage for priests only became a serious no no at the Council of Trent 1563)   where as Petrarch never said Mass and did not live the life of a priest.

Trying to get a grasp on the thinking that went into these poems - found another that I will post next...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4846 on: December 04, 2016, 05:54:22 AM »
Winter's Coming - Anon. 11th century
Translated into modern English

The wise hero must perceive how terrible it will be
when all this world's wealth lies waste,
as now in various places throughout this earth
walls stand blown by the wind,
covered with frost, the buildings snow-swept...
The warriors were taken away by the power of spears,
weapons greedy for slaughter, fate the famous;
and storms batter those rocky cliffs,
snow falling fetters the earth,
the tumult of winter. Then dark comes,
night-shadows deepen; from the north comes
a fierce hailstorm hostile to men.
All is full of hardship in this earthly realm,
the course of events changes the world under the heavens.
Here wealth is fleeting, here friend is fleeting,
here man is fleeting, here kinsman is fleeting,
all the foundation of this world turns to waste.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4847 on: December 04, 2016, 06:06:12 AM »
This is beyond the personal, it is a universal sorrow, the bleak fate of all human society,
as if the future of the world is summed up in one phrase: Winter's Coming.

The more you read it the poem reminds me of Elliot's The Waste Land
http://www.bartleby.com/201/1.html

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4848 on: December 04, 2016, 10:11:58 PM »
I really like the old Anglo Saxon poems, and the harsh strange world they depict.  This one seemed familiar, and I tracked down a quote of the last 3 lines in my English Lit textbook:

Here wealth is fleeting, friends are fleeting,
Man is fleeting, maid is fleeting;
All the foundation of earth shall fall!

They mostly have the same rhythmic scheme.  No rhymes, and no steady rhythm like iambic pentameter.  Each line has four strong beats, with a pause between halves, so you could equally make it into two lines with two beats each.  In place of rhyme there is strong alliteration.  It's a time when Christianity replaces the older beliefs, and you can still see the mixture of attitudes, the realization of the possibility of redemption.

bellamarie

« Reply #4849 on: December 05, 2016, 12:44:38 AM »
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4850 on: December 05, 2016, 01:06:11 AM »
Ah yes Pat - it is almost like a big drum beating out the rhythm, matching heart beat with the beat of the earth - particularly strong in those last few lines  - just the alliterations are wonderful

wise
world's wealth waste,
walls wind,
warriors were
weapons

storms batter
snow  fetters

night north

hailstorm hostile
hardship
heavens.

wealth is fleeting, friend is fleeting,
man is fleeting, maid is fleeting,
foundations fall.

You can almost hear the clash of spears and the beat of the drum urging them on and then keeping in rhythm the oars as they battle the elements to go forth or to return home.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4851 on: December 05, 2016, 01:39:05 AM »
Bellamarie let's shine a light on the wonderful site of Christmas poetry you've brought into our discussion...
A really nice selection of poets - Of course any site that quotes Voltaire is tops in my book...

Each of the poems on the linked page is a link to the poem.
Here again is the link -
https://osr.org/blog/tips-gifts/20-beautiful-christmas-poems/

Voltaire once said,
“Poetry is the music of the soul, and, above all, of great and feeling souls.”

Index of Poems
1. Twas the Night before Christmas – Clement Clark Moore
2. The Three Kings – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
3. A Cradle Song – William Blake
4. Christmas Trees – Robert Frost
5. Minstrels – William Wordsworth
6. Ring Out, Wild Bells – Alfred Tennyson
7. Christmas at Sea – Robert Louis Stevenson
8. Christmas Carol – Sara Teasdale
9. Christmas in India – Rudyard Kipling
10. In the Bleak Midwinter – Christina Rossetti
11. The Boy who Laughed at Santa Claus – Ogden Nash
12. For the Time Being: A Christmas Oratorio – W.H. Auden
13. The Last Christmas Tree – Howard D. Fencl
14. Missing you At Christmas – Tamara Hillman
15. Mistletoe – Walter de la Mare
16. Away in a Manger – Unknown
17. Good King Wenceslas – John Mason Neale
18. How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Dr. Seuss
19. At Christmas – Edgar Guest
20. Little Tree – E.E. Cummings

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4852 on: December 05, 2016, 02:16:39 AM »
In Maxims, the Old English Saxon poems, there is most of the long argument the pagan prince Saturn has with Solomon in; The Dialogue of Solomon and Saturn in which is this lovely exchange...

Solomon:

Old age is crafty over everything earthly—
reaching widely with a ravaging captive-chain,
with spacious fetters and a lengthy rope,
overwhelming all whom she wishes to.

It destroys the tree and shatters its branches,
tumbling the standing stock from its course,
felling it to the ground, and devouring it afterwards.

Saturnus:

But why does the snow fall, hiding the earth,
veiling the seeds of herbs, binding the blossoms.
It crushes and checks them so that they shall be
withered by the cold for a season?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4853 on: December 05, 2016, 02:33:46 AM »
The retort by Solomon is a missing page however, the question by Saturn is in response to the statement by Solomon about aging where Saturn speaks to aging as a cycle of nature veiling hope, as nature is the cycle in Christmas that hope is symbolized by this new born babe and from darkness the light shines from the Menorah.

Frybabe

« Reply #4854 on: December 05, 2016, 06:04:36 AM »
Barb, what a powerful poem you found in "Winter's Coming" - the imagery it invokes.

Pat, I never read "The Waste Land". On the whole when I skimmed down over it, it did not interest me much until I got to IV and V. I perked up. The notes at the end were even more interesting. I can tell this is a poem that requires some study, not to mention reading some of the referenced passages and books. I do have in my library, The Golden Bough, The Vicar of Wakefield, Metamorphosis, and of course, a complete Shakespeare. Somewhere in my e-library I think I still have Tristan and Isolde. I used to have a book on St. Augustine and Milton's Paradise Lost, but no longer.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4855 on: December 05, 2016, 03:42:43 PM »
It was Barb who was reminded of The Waste Land.  We discussed it here at great length, but it seems to be one of the discussions that were lost.  It's tremendously complex, full of unexplained references to mythical, literary, classical, historical, cultural themes, and some that only make sense in the context of Eliot's life.  So you have to put a lot of work into it.

Frybabe

« Reply #4856 on: December 05, 2016, 04:25:01 PM »
Oops! Thanks for the correction Pat.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4857 on: December 05, 2016, 06:01:31 PM »
I remember that discussion on the Waste Land - were you part of that Pat? I do not think we really got as much out of it as could be but then it is one of those poems we could have read a dozen times for a dozen years and see something we missed with each new read.

There is so much more on the internet now - what fun looking up and actually finding poetry written in those years we often refer to as the Dark Ages. I guess it took a certain number of lit and history students to dwell into this time period and be fascinated enough with language to learn how to read and then share their findings - but more, to pick from what is there the bits and pieces that they could translate and bring to a web site - I found the copy of The Dialogue of Solomon and Saturn on the Gutenberg site - me oh my - it is huge and not translated - to find bits translated is such the gift.

OK Pat do you know among the four 'rime' forms of Saxon poetry is the Cyrch, or supplemental foot - I have been trying to understand and I am getting both muddled plus, I'm exposed to more information that I ever dreamed that is getting in the way of my understanding.

Everything from who and how the Saxon poetry was destroyed, to the Saxons striking out from the Elbe, the influence or lack of in both Iceland and Scandinavia - how it relates to St. Bede plus a whole slew of saints I never heard of plus, finding a poem mentioned in the Exeter Manuscript that is a dialogue between Mary and Joseph and her deep concern "she should be subjected by the rigour of the Jewish law to the punishment of an adulteress ; and the answer of Joseph is occupied, partly by the assurance of his steady belief in her purity, and other expressions calculated to remove her distress;" 

-- all that and still no closer to understanding Cyrch - Pat do you know?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4858 on: December 06, 2016, 02:02:21 AM »
An Acrostic...

Hearth

Home beckons; my work here is done.
Every moment I did desire
Always to be by my hearth's fire;
Ravenous winter leaves no sun.
Towards the fire's warmth I now run.
Heat fills my home's hearth in the shire.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4859 on: December 07, 2016, 01:15:46 AM »
Those Winter Sundays
Robert Hayden, 1913 - 1980

Sundays too my father got up early
and put his clothes on in the blueblack cold,
then with cracked hands that ached
from labor in the weekday weather made
banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

I’d wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
When the rooms were warm, he’d call,
and slowly I would rise and dress,
fearing the chronic angers of that house,

Speaking indifferently to him,
who had driven out the cold
and polished my good shoes as well.
What did I know, what did I know
of love’s austere and lonely offices?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4860 on: December 07, 2016, 08:15:53 PM »
Excerpt from:
               The Stag Hunt
                Sir Walter Scott

Then, dashing down a darksome glen,   
Soon lost to hound and hunter’s ken,   
In the deep Trosachs’ wildest nook
His solitary refuge took.   
There while, close couched, the thicket shed   
Cold dews and wild-flowers on his head,   
He heard the baffled dogs in vain   
Rave through the hollow pass amain,
Chiding the rocks that yelled again.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4861 on: December 07, 2016, 08:44:18 PM »
Some phrases really hit the mark; in Hayden's poem it's "fearing the chronic angers of that house".  Thank goodness I've never felt that in a house I've lived in, but I've seen it, and it's lethal.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4862 on: December 07, 2016, 08:59:13 PM »
Barb, with regard to Anglo Saxon poetry, my technical knowledge is extremely limited; it's just that I love the examples I've read.  I never even heard of the Cyrch, though now I will see what I can find out about it.  One poem I particularly like is The Seafarer, an interesting contrast between the pagan and Christian.  I'll see if I can find a good translation online.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4863 on: December 07, 2016, 09:08:18 PM »
Great Pat - The Seafarer sounds wonderful - hope you can find it in English - the old English or maybe it is Saxon is difficult - the poetry is strong - you can hear a deep resounding beat - or maybe my imagination of what that time in history represents to me - these men who often clashed body against metal or even wooden shields and their enormous physical strength from labor - I can only admire knowing on their shoulders we are born.

I've been searching and so far this is what I have found - Cyrch It is a Welsh word with several meanings - not associated with poetry it means: A center; a goal, or mark; gravity or tendency towards a center; an inroad or invasion; an onset, assault or attack.

For our purposes Cyrch means: a recurrent word, a term in prosody; a kind of stanza, a pause of recurrence, and ending with a line shorter than the preceding ones. 

Prosody: The patterns of rhythm and sound used in poetry. The patterns of stress and intonation in a language.

this poem does have the repetition but not the last line shorter than the proceeding ones.

Amergin's Challenge

I am a wind across the sea
    I am a flood across the plain
    I am the roar of the tides
    I am a stag* of seven (pair) tines
    I am a dewdrop let fall by the sun
    I am the fierceness of boars*
    I am a hawk, my nest on a cliff
    I am a height of poetry (magical skill)
    I am the most beautiful among flowers
    I am the salmon* of wisdom
    Who (but I) is both the tree and the lightning strikes it
    Who is the dark secret of the dolmen not yet hewn
    I am the queen of every hive
    I am the fire on every hill
    I am the shield over every head
    I am the spear of battle
    I am the ninth* wave of eternal return
    I am the grave of every vain hope
    Who knows the path of the sun, the periods of the moon
    Who gathers the divisions, enthralls the sea,
    sets in order the mountains. the rivers, the peoples

Found this which seems to be saying something similar...

Gaelic Poetry was based on sound structures to make them easy to remember, with rhyme not as important as repetition, alliteration and rhythm.

Irish poetry is cyclic and the last line should end with the first syllable word or the complete line.

Purring came from the kitten
smitten, no whisker stirring,
sounding sleep on the cushion,
paws pushing for the purring.

Frybabe

« Reply #4864 on: December 08, 2016, 06:05:10 AM »
Beautiful, Barb. I looked it up and came across this site, among others. http://www.angelfire.com/de2/newconcepts/wicca/amergin.html  There are a number of versions to this poem, which represents man's (Amhairghin) challenge to take possession of Ireland from a fairy clan  (the Tuatha Dé Danann).  BTW, Robert Graves translated a version for his book, The White Godess, that has generated some criticism.

I have been quite taken by a piece of artwork that was used by someone who posted a piece of music by Tom Bergensen and his organization, Two Steps from Hell. Because the poster didn't credit the art, I've been trying to find more out about who painted it and what (who) it represents. Although I have been unsuccessful so far, it has led me to checking out a number of other clips and lightly researching several video games. The games are medieval and or include battles with elves, fairies and orcs. Your post is timely, and a pleasure to read, as is the inspiration for it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4865 on: December 08, 2016, 12:04:44 PM »
I know very little of the Irish myths; they seem weirdly strange to me.

I knew which translation I wanted of The Seafarer, the one in my English Lit book, but I didn't want to violate any copyrights.  I found it online in a downloadable version, but couldn't copy the link, just could download the poem.  Here it is; sorry it's so long.

THE SEAFARER
A song I sing of my sea-adventure,               1
The strain of peril, the stress of toil,               2
Which oft I endured in anguish of spirit            3
Through weary hours of aching woe.               4
My bark was swept by the breaking seas;            5
Bitter the watch from the bow by night            6
As my ship drove on within sound of the rocks.         7
My feet were numb with the nipping cold,            8
Hunger sapped a sea-weary spirit,               9
And care weighed heavy upon my heart.            10
Little the land-lubber, safe on shore,               11
Knows what I've suffered in icy seas               12
Wretched and worn by the winter storms,            13
Hung with icicles, stung by hail,               14
Lonely and friendless and far from home.            15
In my ears no sound but the roar of the sea,            16
The icy combers, the cry of the swan;            17
In place of the mead-hall and laughter of men         18
My only singing the sea-mew's call,               19
The scream of the gannet, the shriek of the gull,         20
Through the wail of the wild gale beating the bluffs         21
The piercing cry of the ice-coated petrel,            22
The storm-drenched eagle's echoing scream.            23
In all my wretchedness, weary and long,            24
I had no comfort of comrade or kin.               25
Little indeed can be credit, whose town-life            26
Pleasantly passes in feasting and joy,               27
Sheltered from peril, what weary pain            28
Often I've suffered in foreign seas.               29
Night shades darkened with driving snow            30
From the freezing north, and the bonds of frost         31
Firm-locked and land, while falling hail,            32
Coldest of kernels, encrusted earth.               33
Yet still, even now, my spirit within me            34
Drives me seaward to sail the deep,               35
To ride the long swell of the salt sea-wave.            36
Never a day but my heart's desire               37
Would launch me forth on the long sea-path,            38
Fain of far harbors and foreign shores.            39
Yet lives no man so lordly of mood,               40
So eager in giving, so ardent in youth,            41
So bold in his deeds, or so dear to his lord,            42
Who is free from dread in his far sea-travel,            43
Or fear of God's purpose and plan for his fate.         44
The beat of the harp, and bestowal of treasure,         45
The love of woman, and worldly hope,            46
Nor other interest can hold his heart               47
Save only the sweep of the surging billows;            48
His heart is haunted by love of the sea.            49
Trees are budding and towns are fair,               50
Meadows kindle and all life quickens,            51
All things hasten the eager-hearted,               52
Who joyeth therein, to journey afar,               53
Turning seaward to distant shores.               54
The cuckoo stirs him with plaintive call,            55
The herald of summer, with mournful song,            56
Foretelling the sorrow that stabs the heart.            57
Who liveth in luxury, little he knows               58
What woe men endure in exile's doom.            59
Yet still, even now, my desire outreaches,            60
My spirit sours over tracts of sea,               61
O'er the home of the whale, and the world's expanse.      62
Eager, desirous, the lone sprite returneth;            63
It cries in my ears and it calls to my heart            64
To launch where the whales plough their paths through the deep.   65

But fairer indeed are the joys God has fashioned         66
Than the mortal and mutable life of this world.         67
Truly earth's blessings are never abiding;            68
To the day of fulfillment remaineth a doubt            69
Whether old age, or sickness, or sword-edge shall ravish      70
Man's life when the fall of his fate is at hand.         71
Of memorials the noblest for man is the praise         72
Of men who survive him, who speak of his deeds,         73
That striving on earth ere the hour of death            74
He carry on boldly the battle with Satan,            75
And put to confusion the malice of fiends.            76
So, in ages long after, men still shall exalt            77
His fame, and his glory eternally gleam            78
Among angels forever, a splendor unending,            79
A joy with the heavenly hosts on high.            80
Gone are the days of earth's grandeur and pomp;         81
Gone are the princes, and givers of gold,            82
The kings of the past in pageant of glory            83
Living in splendor in lordly wise.               84
The heroes have fallen, the hall-joys have vanished,         85
Weaker men linger possessing the world            86
In days that are troubled; all glory is dead.            87
Earth's grandeur withers and wanes in decay          88
As man's earthly fate droops and dwindles toward death.      89
Old age oppresses, man's countenance pales,            90
Gray are his locks, and he grieves in his heart         91
For the friends of his prime, the children of princes,         92
Long since laid in the arms of earth.               93
And the flesh at last, when the life has fled,            94
Savors not sweet, suffers not pain;               95
The hand does not strive, the mind does not stir.         96
Though one strew with gold the grave of his brother,      97
With manifold treasure endowing the dead,            98
It will not go with him; gold hoarded on earth         99
Is no help to a soul that is burdened with sin,            100
In the terror of doomsday; and dreadful shall be          101
The fear of the Judge whereby earth is transformed.         102
For He it was fashioned the firm foundations,         103
The borders of earth, and the heavens above it.         104
Foolish is he who fears not his God;               105
All unready he runs toward death.               106
But blessed the heart that is humble, for mercy         107
Cometh upon him from heaven on high.            108
His heart God will stablish who trusts in His strength.      109
Man must rule a fierce mood, and hold it in rein,         110
Loyal to comrade, in cleanness of life;            111
Love of friend or hatred of foe               112
He must lock within limits, though longing in heart. . .      113   
For his dear lord laid in the funeral flame.            114
Firmer is fate, greater is God,                  115
Than the thoughts of man can ever imagine.            116
Let us muse in our hearts on our heavenly mansions,      117
Thitherward planning our pilgrimage,            118
Seeking the way to the blessed stronghold            119
Of life and joy in the love of the Lord.            120
And thanks be to God, the Giver of glory,            121
The Lord everlasting, the holy King,               122
Who hath granted us honor through ages to come.         123
                  Amen.
Charles W. Kennedy, Trans.  Old English Elegies.  Princeton:  Princeton UP, 1936.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4866 on: December 08, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »
So heroic did they see their life - I got so lost in the story that only the first few lines did I see the alliterations - this is one to read several times to get it - thank you for finding it and bringing it to us.

I'm wondering if they saw their life as a physical exertion so that age had less value if that had them feel like they had to hurry up and be their most heroic early in life not only because of the physical incapabilities  of age but because of the early deaths acknowledged in the poem. 

Seeing so many of the videos taken during this blizzard at Standing Rock it is easier to grasp this winter the poem speaks to.

History seems to be wound into these poems - as you say you are not that familiar with Celtic poetry and now what I want to know is how the Celts and Saxons relate - were they from different areas of Europe and what was their timing and then were the Welsh poets more Celtic or of their own - I did read that the Welsh Bards completely disappeared after the Reformation - since more of this time in history is translated into modern English not only is it easier to find out about but I'm seeing because of that ease we are becoming aware of this history that was lost to us when we were young.

I had a thought - I wonder - this Cyrch - if it is really a beat created by repetition that reminds me of several of the speeches by Martin Luther King and in fact Obama does it to a lessor degree - I just need to find someone - maybe after the holidays - I am thinking a graduate student at UT that I could email and get some information.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4867 on: December 08, 2016, 02:40:11 PM »
I hate it - lost a whole post - of course cannot share exactly nor with the same enthusiasm and excitement when I first wrote out my thoughts and feelings - grrr  - the post was to you Frybabe - I was excited to see what was included on your link - I love the stories, the myths, of this time in history - you just reminded me to get back to reading what took my imagination as a young reader - I remember when I past my youth, the story of Tristram and Isolde was printed as a series over several months in the Ladies Home Companion back in the early 1950s - back when all the Women's magazines included a short story written by a substantial author.

I quick looked and yes, in my library I do have Robert Graves translation of The White Goddess - if I remember it arrived after I was onto another interest so that I never did read it.

All this harking back to reading from early history reminds me also of the kinds of myths and legends in our so called 'readers' that was part of our curriculum through the 6th grade. Since I already saw a lack of decent literature in the classroom for my children I was so pleased when I found this wonderful old set of 12 books My Book House - each filled with great literature, age appropriate from the first book filled with nursery rhymes and pre-school stories on to the last with the likes of Dante, Browning both Elizabeth and Robert, Bryant, Cervantes, Chaucer, Hawthorn, Sir Walter, Spenser, Tolstoy etc. etc. typical 1920s illustrations, the series is edited by Olive Beaupré Miller.

Best of all is his index - unbelievable - in book 12 he devotes 77 pages to this extensive index - First by; Author, Title and get this by Leading Character

The next index Special Interests - - - Countries of the World - Nature_Birds_Animals_Seasons - Boats or Trains - Famous People - Artists and Illustrators - Holidays - Epics - Fairy Tales - Elves and Brownies - Fables - Folk Lore and Legends - Myths - Giants - Farm and Country - Games - Festivals - Hero and Heroines - Gods and Goddesses - Humor - Music - Musical Instruments - Nobel Prize Winners included in the books - Pulitzer Prize Winners in the books - Occupations - Toys - True Stories.

And then another whole section A Guide for Parents Character Building Index from alertness, ambition, anger to unselfishness, willingness, wisdom, work habits and a secondary section on Child's Daily Activities from getting up, dressing, eating, to a trip to the city, complaining and consideration of others. 

He is still not finished - included is a Guide to Pronunciation of Proper Names with the list of Diactritical Marks as given in Webster's New International Dictionary. 

Such a wonderful way to teach - not by telling or policing children but with reading page turning stories and the stories that interest me now that are included; Cuculain, the Irish Hound and The Story Of Mac Dathó's Pig along with several poems from Yeats.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4868 on: December 08, 2016, 09:34:33 PM »
Winter
By Billy Collins

A little heat in the iron radiator,
the dog breathing at the foot of the bed,

and the windows shut tight,
encrusted with hexagons of frost.

I can barely hear the geese
complaining in the vast sky,

flying over the living and the dead,
schools and prisons, and the whitened fields.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4869 on: December 09, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »

Happy, happy Christmas,
that can win us back
to the delusions
of our childhood days,
recall to the old man
the pleasures of his youth, and
transport the traveler
back to his own
fireside and quiet home!

Charles Dickens

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4870 on: December 11, 2016, 12:39:40 PM »
Haha look what I found - did not know about this one...

Song of the Holly
          By William Shakespeare

Blow, blow thou winter wind --
Thou art not so unkind
As man's ingratitude!
Thy tooth is not so keen,
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude.
Heigh ho! sing heigh ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, most loving mere folly.
Then heigh ho! the holly!
This life is most jolly!

bellamarie

« Reply #4871 on: December 11, 2016, 04:34:24 PM »
Barb your timing could not be more perfect posting Song of the holly, with that perfect picture.  It has been snowing here in Toledo, Ohio since I woke up this morning.  I recently bought a holly bush and planted it and oh how pretty it looks with the snow on it. We've been snowed in since we got back from church.  I'm sure schools will be cancelled tomorrow.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4872 on: December 12, 2016, 05:51:58 AM »
Snow - I hope the children have at home a parent that can make the day special in preparation for Christmas - nice to be snowed in during this festive season - I bet though it will be a bit more difficult by late January when the next holiday isn't till mid February - well enjoy now instead of looking ahead - warm woolly socks and a book to read - maybe something wonderful baking in the oven - enjoy...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4873 on: December 12, 2016, 05:59:11 AM »

In a utilitarian age,
Of all other times,
It is a matter of
Grave importance
That fairy tales
Should be respected.

Charles Dickens

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4874 on: December 14, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »
Barb, you've certainly done a good job of shifting us into Christmas mood, with poems and pictures.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4875 on: December 14, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »
Thanks Pat - here is something a bit deeper for the season...

Christmas Trees
          by Geoffrey Hill

Bonhoeffer in his skylit cell
bleached by the flares’ candescent fall,
pacing out his own citadel,

restores the broken themes of praise,
encourages our borrowed days,
by logic of his sacrifice.

Against wild reasons of the state
his words are quiet but not too quiet.
We hear too late or not too late.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4876 on: December 14, 2016, 09:32:18 PM »
By Advent 1944, Bonhoeffer had been transferred to the infamous Gestapo prison on Prinz-Albrecht-Straße.
There, the conditions were harsher and his ability to communicate with the outside world more restricted.
But in a letter Bonhoeffer was able to smuggle out to Maria von Wedemeyer,
he expressed the faith that had sustained him during his long ordeal and that would see him through to the very end.

Dietrich’s words to Maria continue to inspire courage and hope in our own dark times.
In the form of the hymn, Von guten Mächten (“By Gracious Powers,” tr. Fred Pratt Green), they are still sung
by Christians in Germany and around the world today.

Von guten Mächten (By Gracious Powers)

By gracious pow’rs so wonderfully sheltered,
    and confidently waiting come what may,
    we know that God is with us night and morning,
    and never fails to greet us each new day.
    And when this cup you give is filled to brimming
    with bitter suffering, hard to understand,
    we take it thankfully and without trembling
    out of so good and so beloved a hand.
    Yet when again in this same world you give us
    the joy we had, the brightness of your sun,
    we shall remember all the days we lived through
    and our whole life shall then be yours alone.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4877 on: December 15, 2016, 08:27:20 PM »
Christmas Magic
is silent. You don't
hear it -- You feel it,
You know it,
You believe it.

Frybabe

« Reply #4878 on: December 16, 2016, 06:51:11 AM »
AWWWWW!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4879 on: December 16, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »