Author Topic: Poetry Page  (Read 395218 times)

Frybabe

Re: Poetry Page
« Reply #4920 on: August 02, 2017, 12:48:49 PM »
Welcome to our Poetry Page.

Our haven for those who listen to words that open our heart, imagination, and our feelings about the poems we share - This is our continuing tradition. Please join us!

Birds and Wind

Bird on the Wind / Wind on the Bird
The aim of Symbolism in art is to capture more absolute truths which could only be accessed by indirect methods. It is what a thing means or symbolizes for us that is often what we are judging.

Rising and soaring through the skies, birds in myth and legend are the symbols of power and freedom. Throughout the ages, birds link the human world to the divine, to forces beyond the normal world; magical or miraculous realms that lie beyond ordinary experience.

The wind is stronger then all, but is blind and lost. It's sad and in pain, but it doesn't know why. It carries thousands of years with it, countless knowledge and wisdom fly with it, but it has nowhere and nobody to bring it to.

The wind comes and goes, it is soft and strong, it represents freedom but also misdirection, it defines a sense of self and purpose but with no confirmation aside from what you leave in your wake. A key with no hole.

The wind as a god is a power that is capable of communicating a larger-than-life language to those who would hear it

Discussion Leader: BarbStAubrey

I'm going to look up Elizabeth Maua Taylor. I am hoping she did one for each month, this one is really lovely. It is short but says a lot.

Frybabe

« Reply #4921 on: August 02, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »
Huh. The only thing I can find on Ms. Taylor, besides plenty of repeats of her poem, is a page on The Steampunk Writers & Artists Guild.

Oh, and there is a link on Google to the Poetry Page already.

Frybabe

« Reply #4922 on: August 18, 2017, 06:41:27 AM »
I just found this interesting book called Pre-Raphaelite and Other Poets which are lectures given by Lafcadio (what a name) Hearn to his Japanese students of English Literature between 1896 and 1902. John Erskine edited and wrote the introduction. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/55377/55377-h/55377-h.htm The intro is sufficient for me to read further into the book.

Hearn himself was not a poet, but a writer, teacher, and translator whose life was rather eventful. He spent 10 years in New Orleans before moving on to Japan. Humanaties magazine published this interesting article about his life there. https://www.neh.gov/humanities/2012/mayjune/feature/lafcadio-hearn-in-new-orleans He was, however, best known for his books about Japan.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Life is finding the magic that makes our soul soar
    • Two Sisters and a Hound!
« Reply #4923 on: August 18, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
Interesting stuff Frybabe - in the book there is the fable, Shaving of Shagpat and the end of the essay he says,

"Men think that because the world has made one step forward in their time, all illusions are presently going to fade away. This is the greatest of social mistakes that a human being can possibly make. The great sea of error immediately closes again behind the forms that find strength to break out of it. It is just the same as before. One illusion may indeed be eventually destroyed, but another illusion quickly forms behind it. The real truth is that wisdom will be reached when human individuals as well as human society shall have become infinitely more perfect than they now are; and such perfection can scarcely be brought about before another million of years at least."

That is something to contemplate that one illusion destroyed will be replaced by another... hmmm