Author Topic: Little Bee by Chris Cleave ~ January Bookclub Online  (Read 69904 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Little Bee by Chris Cleave ~ January Bookclub Online
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

January Book Club Online

"Little Bee"
by Chris Cleave

Little Bee, or The Other Hand, as it was called when it was published in Great Britain in 2008, has captured the attention of millions of readers and elicited a wide range of reactions from shock and outrage to praise for the portrayal of the two main characters, whose personal lives become inextricably intertwined.

In view of the publishers' request not to reveal too much of the plot too soon, we have foregone the customary questions in favor of presenting background information that may be useful. As always, we invite your comments and insights in the course of the discussion.

Facts:
*Nigeria gained independence from British rule on October 1, 1960.  Around that time oil was discovered in the Niger delta, raising the hope that a post-colonial backwater country could rise to international prominence, radically improve its economy to better the health and education of its citizens.

*Today Nigeria is the eighth largest exporter of crude oil with billions of dollars in oil revenues annually. The Nigerian government and the oil companies have benefited, but the Nigerian people are still among the poorest in the world.  Only 40% of the total population have access to electricity. Life expectancy is less than 46 years; infant mortality in the first year after birth alarmingly high.  There is environmental damage in the mining area and ongoing unrest in the country. Oil, blessing or curse?

*The "Black Hill Immigratio Removal Center" in the book is fictitious, like the characters. However, holding places, safe havens  for foreign nationals, have existed in Britain since the Immigration Act of 1971 introduced "detention centres', as they were called,  to impose restrictions on their movements. The government immigration policy was tightened in 2002 in the wake of concern over increasing  numbers of asylum seekers. Today there are ten immigration removal centers in England and Wales, all run for profit by private companies at taxpayers' expense.

Reading Schedule

January 2,   Chapters One to Three, pages 1-85
January 9,   Chapters Four and Five, pages 86-149
January 16,  Chapters Six to Nine, pages 150-231
January 23, Chapter Ten, pages 232-266
January 30-31,  Conclusions

Discussion LeadersTraude and Andy

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
Every once in a while we come upon a book that speaks to us in an urgent way,  touches our heart and resonates with us.  That was Little Bee for me.  
Andy and I would love to share this moving book with you.  We cordially invite you to join us for the discussion in January.
Traude

ALF43

Re: Little Bee by Chris Cleave ~ Proposed for January
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »
Hello everyone!  We would be delighted to have you here and join in on our discussion of Little Bee.

There are many disturbing issues that grabbed me while reading this story, mostly the dark politics between first and third world countries and the plight of the refugees who suffer the most.  I had no idea that they even had detention centers for these people, much less children who had been torn from their families.

Little Bee makes you smile and cry with Cleave's witty and heartbreaking story.  
We will be here to welcome you on January 2nd-- let us know if you are interested, come in, sit awhile and enjoy this novel with us.

Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

mrssherlock

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 08:16:06 PM »
This book sounds like one I would enjoy.  When an author can write convincingly in two voices I really enjoy the reading.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »
Hello, Jackie,  and WELCOME aboard! 

Yes, this book has caused quite a stir also in this country; many libraries have long waiting lists - hence the warning in the header  :)

Thank you for your interest.
Traude

nlhome

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:00:15 PM »
I'm looking for the book already.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 11:03:48 AM »
Happy Sunday morning and WELCOMEnlhome!
We are glad you will be joining us.

We begin the book on January 2nd; there will be no pre-discussion.

ALF43

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »
Welcome aboard nlhome and Jackie.  So far we are 4 and Annie expressed interest in this story, as well. 
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

salan

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 04:32:42 PM »
My library has a copy of Little Bee, so I hope to join you in January.  I hope it is not a depressing book.  January is kind of a tough month for me ever since my husband died.  Don't know why--new year and all, I guess.
Sally

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 12:26:47 PM »
Hello, Sally, and WELCOME.  We are glad to hear of your interest.

It is understandable that January is difficult for you because suffered personal loss in that month.
For me it is November when - seven years part - I lost first my husband then my only sister.
Thinking of  you.
Traude

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 03:50:15 PM »
Loss is so difficult for all of us, and it seems particularly so during the holidays.  My neighbor has this book and has loaned it to me, Traude, and I'm not very good at discussing fiction, but I will follow along if I may.  

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 09:53:56 PM »
Thank you, Ella, and WELCOME.  It will be good to know you'll be with us in some way.  Thank you

ALF43

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 01:02:56 PM »
Oh Ella- yEAH! ;D  I am so pleased that you will be here with us through miss Little Bee's adventures.  Much of this story is factual but the real political issues such as oil access in Nigeria are shadowed with the ethical issues that we all must face.

Sally- Always remember "Death is what has made a life an event."
It will be good to turn your sorrow upside down and greet Little Bee with a smile.  She has many sad moments, as well, but you will find yourself cheering for her.

ALF43

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 01:03:59 PM »
Now we are six. :D

serenesheila

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 03:17:18 AM »
I just ordered this book for my Kindle.  Itsounds interesting.  I will look forward to our discussionl

Sheila

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »
Hello, SheilaWELCOME !  We're pleased you will participate in the discssion.   
And now we are seven  :D

Traude

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 05:14:59 PM »
SHEILA, and others.  YOU WILL LOVE THIS BOOK!

I just finished it as it was a loan from a neighbor and I wanted to get it returned.  However, I'll get a library copy when we start our discussion.  We will have so much to talk about, truly!  It's a wonderful story.

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »
Ella,  thank you  for your resounding support of Little Bee.  It means a lot, coming from you, who are generally more partial to nonfiction than fiction.  

What makes this book 'important' is not so much the plot but the issues it raises: immigration, and  in tandem personal accountability,  courage,  compassion, and something we might call quiet heroism.

Thank you again, Traude

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 05:07:26 PM »
I have just borrowed this from our library - was amazed to find it sitting on the shelf - so I will be starting it soon and hope to join the discussion.  It isn't my usual type of book, so it will, as they say, get me out of my comfort zone.  The last time I ventured beyond that was to read Empire of the Sun , which was so harrowing that I needed several doses of McCall Smith, Barbara Pym, PD James, etc to recover. - but I'm sure it's good for me!

Rosemary

nlhome

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 09:47:47 PM »
I just picked up my copy - hope to start it this week yet. It, too, is different from what I usually read, and I'm looking forward to it.

ALF43

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »
nlhome and rose- It is also the issue of faith- acceptance and certitude.  I think each of you will glean something completely different from this story and that is what makes an excellent discussion.

I don't think that I have a comfort zone-  well, that's not true, one thing I can never read or bear to watch is the "holocast" stories and yet Book Thief was one of the best book discussions we've had (and the one I enjoyed so much).  You're right- I guess we all do have our own comfort zones.
I enjoy living vicariously through the characters of a story, don't you?

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
Andy and Rosemarie,  it's true about a comfort zone", I realize, although I've never  consciously thought about it.  And yes, some books do make me uncomfortable as well.

I had to chuckle  :DRosemarie, when I read about your needing healthy doses of Alexander McCall after Empire of the Sun.  Though I never read the book, said to be autobiographical (or anything else by Ballard) ,  I can confidently say that Little Bee is nothing like it.

It is rather a book  of our time that has received global attention because it affects and touches all of us in some way, developed and developing nations alike.
The request on the cover of the American edition carries a politely phrased but unmistakable 'request'  not to  "give the game away" before the actual ending.  In my experience that's unusual.
 It makes me wonder,  Rosemarie, if the original text carried the same warning. Thanks in advance.

nlhome, I'm glad you have the book.

More later

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 09:58:51 PM »
Apologies for not following right up, as I intended.

What I wanted to share earlier -  but had difficulty articulating - is the fact that I "sold" my GP on Little Bee.  It sounds awfully presumptuous, which I am not.  So please let me explain.

I had a regular checkup with my GP, an internist by training,  and there's none better in our fair town.  I do not mind the long waiting involved  - first in the waiting room, then in the examining room where BP, pulse, and meds are checked first -  because I always have a book with me.
And every time he asks me what it is.

This time the book was Little Bee.  He immediately took out one of those digital thingies and tapped in the info.  I'm really no good at selling anything, but I must have convinced him !  I had no idea I could do that !

ALF43

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »
Bravo for you Traude.  I do the same thing with my books and Bill's doc.  I just talked him into the Whisteling Season for his wife.

Everybody who is interested in joining us, spread the word.  We would love to invite new readers into our discussion.  We're easy and it will be fun.  Come one, come all. :D

See you in January.

Bow_Belle

Re: Little Bee by Chris Cleave ~ January Bookclub Online
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 06:14:34 AM »
Hi Everyone!

I resisted joining the book club when I was on the Soiree! but have now succumbed!

I will be reading "Little Bee" although i understand it has a different title in the UK.

It's about time I read a good book instead of watching the google box!

Gay Hector
(Bow_Belle)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 08:11:31 AM »
Gay - in the UK it is called On The Other Hand.  I have just taken it back to the library, shoudl you happen to live in Aberdeen!

Rosemary

ALF43

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 08:41:46 AM »
GAYMy goomba from England, I am delighted that you will joining us in this discussion. 
As you have found out, I am like a dog with a bone and am pleased that you have succumbed to my nagging. ;D

The book is everything that you are:  amusing, sensitive and informative.

Rosemary- do tell!  Did you like the  story?  I have found many times that even if I do dislike a novel, when we discuss it it comes to life in an entirely different manner.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the novel.  I felt that the English characters were just awful, with no redeeming features whatsoever - totally self-centred (despite the event on the beach) and never stopped naval-gazing.  I was, however, very interested in all the stuff about refugees and detention centres  (we are made aware of their existence here, but that's about it - the book certainly opens ones eyes as to what is going on in them).

I think you are right, - when one starts discussing a book, one often feels completely different about it, so I reserve judgement.  A friend of mine read it at her own (face to face) book group and felt it was "the worst novel we had to do all year"!  I wouldn't go that far!  She felt it was unconvincing in that anyone working in journalism would have known that they shouldn't be visiting Nigeria in the first place.  Many people in Aberdeen work in Nigeria, and it is always a strictly single-status posting - no-one takes their family there.  I await January with interest.

I have borrowed Staying On from the library - amazingly they still had it in the Reserve Stock - and have started it; so far I'm enjoying it, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about what happened to Sarah Layton.

Rosemary

ALF43

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »
Rosemary- thank you for your candid opinion about the selection.  I will rebut only one fact because I am afraid to give away any information until we get started .  The couple went to Nigeria in a controlled environment and were told NOT to go outside the "gates" of the hotel complex.  Their wish was to get far away together.  How else would the author put them there in that time and place, I wonder?  
I know when we honeymooned we went to Jamaica and were also told not to leave the confines of our complex.  They had, and are still involved in a civil war there.  Did we listen?  NO!  (I'll never do that again.)

Hang in there with us, I believe you will be pleased with the way the discussion unfolds. ::)

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »
A friend loaned me the book, and I've just finished it.  I'm not much on book discussions, but I thought I'd lurk to hear what everybody had to say about this book.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ALF43

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 07:32:49 AM »
MARYZ-  I'm not much on book discussions, but I thought I'd lurk to hear what everybody had to say about this book.

May I ask why you're not much for book discussions?  I've read many of your words and insight on the boards and that surprises me.
 Well, do stop in and visit at anytime.  Your thoughts and observations are always welcome.  I'll send you a note to "nudge" you when we begin. ::)

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 03:01:53 PM »
Alf, I love to read, and to talk about books sometimes, but just for pleasure and maybe to learn something occasionally.  And I enjoy them as a whole - I don't particularly like to dissect them.  I know a lot of folks enjoy that, and with this particular book, I'm really looking forward to what some others have thought about it.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 06:09:15 AM »
Found the book at the library book sale, so I am on for January..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

ALF43

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 12:01:05 PM »
 Oh great, Stephanie.   :D  I look forward to seeing you here in January.

Mippy

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 06:42:20 AM »
Good morning, all!  And a special Hi to our  DLs, Traude and Andy!

I will read the book, since it looks like it's worthwhile, but I'm unsure about how much participation.

Between Latin 300, which is quite difficult, and being a TA for Ginny on Mondays in the Latin 101 class
I'm somewhat busy.  Not to mention lots of time spent on volunteer activities.   This is such an extraordinary
group on SeniorLearn that I'll try to chime in when I can.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

ALF43

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »
Mippy- Our Ginny is a superb teacher and I'm certain that you are a dedicated student BUT do try to stop in and say hello, give a comment, make an observation, wish us a happy new year-- what ever.  Traude and I would love your presence whenever you can squeeze us into your schedule.

Mippy

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2010, 07:03:39 AM »
Thanks, Andy!    :D
quot libros, quam breve tempus

ursamajor

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 11:47:33 AM »
I was able to get Little Bee from the library and will be joining the discussion in January.

ALF43

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 01:21:06 PM »
URSAMAJOR-  That is excellent that you will be a part of our Little Bee discussion.  We are very pleased to have you aboard.  I will send you a note just before the 1st of January to remind you of our date January 2nd. :D

Aberlaine

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2010, 09:26:56 AM »
This book is on the shelf in my library.  I'll get it out closer to Christmas so I can join you.  Right now I'm listening to "Three Cups of Tea" for my f2f book club meeting next Tuesday.