Author Topic: Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin-Prediscussion  (Read 20152 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin-Prediscussion
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »

Team of Rivals
by
Doris Kearns Goodwin

"More books about Abraham Lincoln line the shelves of libraries than about any other American. Can there be anything new to say about our 16th president? Surprisingly, the answer is yes. - ..... Doris Kearns Goodwin has written an elegant, incisive study of Lincoln......." - New York Times

The Team:
William H. Seward
Salmon P. Chase
Edward Bates

Links:
NPR Review
Wilmot Proviso
Dred Scott Decision
Kansas-Nebraska Act
Fugitive Slave Law

Discussion Leaders: Ella & PatH

Ella Gibbons

Re: Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:22:29 AM »
CHICAGO   1860.  THE REPUBLICAN PARTY CONVENTION.   WIGWAM HALL.

It was here that Abraham Lincoln won the nomination for the presidency despite the fact that three other candidates, rivals for the position, were powerful men, educated men, wealthy men from the states of New York, Ohio and Missouri.

It is here that  Doris Kearns Goodwin, begins her  wonderful book, TEAM OF RIVALS, a book that took her ten years to research and complete and the one she claims is her best book and her very best character to write about in all her 30 years as a historian.  This Pulitizer Prize author writes so enjoyably that you will feel you would recognize these men, their wives, sweethearts, children and friends if you met them today.

COME JOIN US IN MARCH when we begin the book.

Meanwhile………

FEBRUARY, do you remember when we used to celebrate President Lincoln’s birthday on February 12th?  Lincoln's Birthday is still a legal holiday in the states of Illinois, Connecticut, California, Missouri, New Yorik, New Jersey and Indiana.   

Come post your anecdotes of Lincoln; personally I grew up in a house on Lincoln Street in a small town in Ohio and I have gazed in awe at the Lincoln Memorial on the Mall in Washington.  How about you?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:35:14 AM »
Welcome to the "Team of Rivals" pre-discussion.  This is a truly addictive book.  We will find ourselves caught up in the politics and personalities of a century and a half ago, and see how relevant they are to present times.  Please come in, let us know you’re joining the discussion, and stay to chat.  The formal discussion begins March 1, so plenty of time to get the book and get ready to go.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:42:24 AM »
GOOD MORNING, PAT!

Here we are online and ready to meet anyone who drops by; I hope we have some company. 

This month is the 200th birthday of Abraham Lincoln and the country is celebrating this in myriad ways.  Our newspaper lists books, movies, and TV programs all celebrating this event, plus local and national exhibits. 

In Ohio, our statehouse and historical society are both celebrating with events throughout the month and there is a new Lincoln exhibit at the Smithsonian which is the first major exhibit in about 50 years and features some items never seen before.

So, Pat, what state are you from and what, if anything, is your state doing?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »
I'm from Washington, DC, and now live in a Maryland suburb of DC.  You're right, Ella, there's plenty going on.

The Smithsonian, as you have mentioned, has a fine new exhibit:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/exhibition.cfm?key=38&exkey=1210

This site has a virtual tour.  They also have an exhibit of documents from the Lincoln Library in Springfield, IL.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/exhibition.cfm?key=38&exkey=1251

(Note--The Museum of American History is part of the Smithsonian.)

Ford's Theater, where Lincoln was shot, is celebrating too:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/exhibitions/exhibition.cfm?key=38&exkey=1210

Ford's theater has been renovated so it is a theater again, and productions with vaguely appropriate themes are staged there.

I'm not sure what Maryland is doing.  They aren't as big on Lincoln as DC.  I mean to go down to see the Smithsonian exhibit, but given the current track record of my fellow Seniorlearners of slipping on the ice, I'm going to wait for better weather.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
Well, here I am, book in hand and ready to go.  For years lived in Washington, surrounded by places assiciated with Lincoln and the Civil War without paying too much attention. As a child, we would walk to Fort Stephens, and my father would say "This is where Lincoln got his hat shot off". I would sit on the barrel of the Civil War gun looking down on the (imaginary) rebel army attacking the fort.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
This battle was the only one in which a (sitting) President of the United States was under enemy fire. Jubal Early, one of Lee's Generals, and a small force attacked Washington DC but were beaten back by the forces at Fort Stephens. At one point Lincoln came out to see the battle, and was under fire.

There are two stories connected with this: one that he got his hat shot off, the other that he stuck his head up, and someone shouted "Get down you fool". The truth of these isn't known. "Revellie in Washington" Margeret Leech

Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
What a pleasant surprise to find TEAM OF RIVALS up for pre-discussion chat. This is truly a great choice for serious discussion in March. I was not aware of the 200th anniversary celebrations. That certainly gives it a new dimension.

Congratulations, Ella, for proposing it, and for getting Pat to help you with the DLing. A toast to both of you. This will be just a great experience for everyone joining in.

Already the links provided by Pat have got me going. A few days ago it was posted in Non-Fiction, I believe it was Marge, that every  week a new book on Lincoln is published. I had to think of that when I read what Lincoln had to say about his early life - on page 2 of the Smithsonian link:

"It is great folly to attempt to make anything out of my early life. It can all be condensed to a single sentence, and that sentence you will find in Gray’s Elegy: 'The short and simple annals of the poor.'"
—Abraham Lincoln, 1860

I wonder when in his life Abe Lincoln stumbled across himself in Gray's Elegy and set out to improve his chances of being remembered. Beyond his wildest dreams! What a monument to ambition.

How strange to hear that slipping on the ice is one more hazard of life in Washington. As if there weren't enough without that.

Can anyone locate the three rivals on the cover of our book? I believe that's Seward sitting in the foreground, looking at Lincoln. But how about Chase and Bates?

Hi, Joan. Good to see you.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 06:24:47 PM »
Oh, we've had a couple of visitors, Pat.

HELLO TO JOAN AND JONATHAN, THANKS FOR POSTING

Fort Stephens.  I've never heard that story, Joan, and perhaps as we read the book that tale will be told in more detail?????  Actually, although over the years I have visited many of the Civil War sites in America, I think a person could visit them every year and not remember many of the stories of the battles over that soil; it's such a sad and terrible war and I know it broke Lincoln's heart.  How difficult it must have been - Americans killing Americans, brother against brother, so to speak.

There is so much to be considered!  I am so much looking forward to this discussion!

Hey, Jonathan, I could identify those three in the picture, I bet most of us could, but who are the others?  And, indeed, Lincoln, who read everything he could get his hands on in his youth and his entire life would have read Gray's Elegy.  So melancholy, as he often was.

I hope we get more visitors and they knock LOUDLY!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »
"The conduct of the republican party in this nomination is a remarkable indication of a small intellect, growing smaller, they take up a fourth rate lecturer, who cannot speak good grammar.......the leanest, lankest, most ungainly mass of legs, arms and hatchet-face ever strung upon a single frame.  He has most unwarrantably abused the privilege which all politicians have of being ugly." - New York Herald, 1860, editorializing upon Lincoln's nomination.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »
There were a number of forts ringing Washington, DC during the Civil War.  Traces of some of them remain, but Fort Stevens is the only one I know of that still looks like a fort.  It's a rectangular earthwork, surrounded by a ditch, with gaps for cannon to fire through.

The National Park Service website is under reconstruction, and remarkably irritating to use, but I thought these paragraphs on the cultural impact on the city were interesting.

In 1860, the Union capital, Washington, D.C., was a sleepy city of approximately 62,000 residents. The city sat almost completely unprotected, with Fort Washington, the lone fortification, being 12 miles south. Virginia, a Confederate state, lay on one side of the city, and Maryland, a slave-owning state, was on the other, leaving Washington dangerously vulnerable. Realizing the potential danger the city faced, the Union army constructed additional fortifications for the city. By 1865, the Defenses of Washington included 68 forts, supported by 93 detached batteries for field guns, 20 miles of rifle pits, and covered ways, wooden blockhouses at three key points, 32 miles of military roads, several stockaded bridgeheads, and four picket stations. Along the circumference of the 37-mile circle of fortifications were emplacements for a total of 1501 field and siege guns of which 807 guns and 98 mortars were in place. The defenseless city of 1860  had become one of the most heavily fortified cities of the world.

Not only did the defenses serve their purpose well by deterring Confederate attack on the capital, but they impacted the city culturally, socially, and politically. For example, many enslaved people came to the fort system for protection and settled nearby, changing the cultural landscape of the city. The population doubled in less than five years and changed in character from southern origin to northern newcomers.

The physical landscape was drastically affected, as well. Miles and miles of trees and many buildings were razed to construct the defense system--creating a fort-capped circle around the city.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
How fascinating, Pat, that our capitol city was so fortified, I had no idea, it certainly provided lots of jobs for the construction workers. 

And the one remaining, Fort Stevens, is an earthwork.  Memories are such vague things and cannot be depended upon, but at one time in my life we visited an earthwork fort and prison.  I think it was in Virginia, however.  And after the Civil War, several Confederate generals were imprisoned there.  As I remember it was the only fort in America that had a moat around; the prison was underground.

Perhaps I will remember more fully someday, perhaps not!

I just noticed that I capitalized the word "Confederate."  Is it always capitalized?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 03:13:07 PM »
For any others who live in the Washington DC area, the book about Washington in the Civil war is the one I quoted above:
"Revellie in Washington" by Margeret Leech. More detail than you might want to know, but with a little creative skipping, fascinating, especially to a native. It won a Pulitzer prize (although this was controversial, as she was related by marraige to Pullitzer).

I particularly liked the section on women spies in Washington. DC is in the South, and many of the people left in the government establishment were Southern sympathizers. As is true today, Washington runs on an elaborate social system (peons like Pat and me aren't included of course) and many of the "Hostesses with the Mostest" acted as Confederate spies, picking up what tidbits they could from well oiled officials and passing them on.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
I heard by accident last night that "Team of Rivals" is being made into a movie. I think they said that Liam Nielson (sp?) is going to play Lincoln.

They also said that "Manhunt" by James L. Swanson  is being made into a movie. This is the story of the hunt for Lincolns killer. I have it: found the first half fascinating and then bogged down.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »
Really, Joan!  The book is excellent and a movie based on the book would be very good and, after spending 10 years writing and researching, Goodwin deserves to make a bit of money.

LIAM NEESON as Lincoln, well, why not!  I like him.   I'll have to do a bit of research to see what other actors have played Lincoln.  Was Jason Robards one of them?  There have been others.

Seward was short and slender, well educated and very wealthy.  Hmmm And he was an excellent speaker.

Chase was almost as tall as Lincoln, 6', and very good looking.  He, too, was wealthy, very religious.

Bates was 5'7", also wealthy, considered a "man of the west" as he was from Missouri.

I've always wondered why Lincoln, being so very tall, wore that stovepipe hat which increased his height to - what?  Another 4"?

Jonathan

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »
That's interesting detail coming out of "Reveille in Washington." Wasn't it a bestseller away back when? I'm sure I must have a copy somewhere in the house. Something to read until we get going on THE RIVALS. I've read enough of THE RIVALS to convince me there's a good movie in it. With all its dramatic incidents. Not to mention its dramatic characters, led by the man who wanted to stand tall and risked being shot at, at Fort Stephen. I must try to get to Washington to observe the Lincoln celebrations.

"Ford's Theater, where Lincoln was shot, is celebrating too:"

Surely not a reenactment of April 14. Tickets would probably be hard to get.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
JONATHAN, you always make me smile, even break into a chuckle!  The hazards of Washington - a reenactment of April 14th.  Do you really think anyone would attend?

Joan, that last book sounds good, but at the moment I cannot begin another book on this period of history as the TEAM OF RIVALS is enough to keep one occupied.

I was thinking today of the similarities (as have others) between Obama and Lincoln.  You all can think of several too, I'm sure.

Both were relatively unknown before their nomination
Both spent one term in the Senate
Both were from Illinois
Both were lawyer and effective speakers
Both had the ability to inject humor when needed
Both rode on trains, although had to as it was the only mode of transportation

One wonders if it was all just coincidental?  Of course, there are many dissimalarities also.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 06:54:32 PM »
It came to me, the name of the fort mentioned above.

FORT MONROE in Virginia

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »
Jonathan, the Fords Theater program sounded pretty tame to me.  I don't think I'll go.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 12:11:06 AM »
Haven't started reading it but my book came today
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 08:14:27 AM »
Great, Barb, you'll add a lot to the discussion.  You're in plenty of time, once you start the book, it just sweeps you along.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 10:51:59 AM »
Hello Barbara Welcome.

Here are 4 actors in the last century that have played Lincoln in movies.  Which one would get your vote?

Walter Huston, Henry Fonda, Raymond Massy, Hal Holbrook

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
hENRY fONDA

mabel1015j

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 07:21:04 PM »
i'll be here, thanks for the links, Pat and Ella...............just found you, so haven't read them all yet, but i know i'll enjoy them................When i worked for the Dept of Army at Ft Dix, we were a part of the Training Command whose hdqtrs was at Ft Monroe. They have a very old, historic hotel there that they were renovating the last time i was there in the mid-80's................One of the nights i was there it was very foggy and all night long we heard the fog horns of the ships in Hampton Roads (that's the waterway there, not the highway)..........Not only were some Confederate generals held there, but Jefferson DAvis spent at least a year, i think that was the time, at Ft Monroe ...................jean

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »
Great, Mabel, more and more good people showing up!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 10:53:13 AM »
HELLO JEAN!  AM SO HAPPY YOU FOUND US!

Thanks for the interesting post about Fort Monroe.  Years ago we attended an Elderhostel on the Army Base at Fort Monroe and we stayed in that historic hotel, which was right on the water facing the Naval Station and we could sit and watch those huge navy ships, some of which went in and out.  Fascinating to my husband who was in the Navy in WWII.  We were right in the middle of an Army base, and I was called "Maam" the entire week and those young men in uniform were so delightful to be around.

It constantly amazes me that I can find anything - anything - on the Internet.  If we had this discussion ten years ago we could not have seen this:

http://www.monroe.army.mil/Monroe/sites/directorates/pai/StrategicPlan2008thru2011.pdf

It appears that the Fort is in danger of being torn down and the government is betwist and between decisions about its future.  Click here:

http://fortmonroenationalpark.org/

Jonathan

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »
It would seem a pity to see Fort Monroe turned into a housing development, but then it looks like choice real estate, irresistable to developers. We should have a better historical appreciation for the fort by the time we get through the book. I've been through that area a number of times - without being aware of the fort - looking too hard at the huge naval establishment, I suppose.

Lots about Lincoln next week in the PBS American Experience series. Monday, the assassination of AL, followed be  something on AL as an attorney. Then, on Wednesday, something called Looking for Lincoln: Life and Legacy. Check your listings.

Curious to read how much Lincoln and Obama have in common. How must it leave Obama feeling. Does the White House feel haunted for him. Does he feel overwhelmed by history? Does he try conjuring up Lincoln's spirit, for moral support? Or will he? For the rebirth of freedom spirit.

It seems to me Obama is also drawing on the moral force of George Washington, with the clear references in his inaugural address - the Valley Forge difficulties - 'the winter of our hardships'. A photo in my newspaper the other day showed Obama at his desk in the Oval Office. The presidential portraits on the far walls are a bit fuzzy, but it sure looks like GW over the fireplace, and AL to the left on the adjoining wall.

When Lincoln sat down at the desk, he found Andrew Jackson over the fireplace. Does every president  choose the company he keeps in the Oval Office?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »
Well, for starters, you recall that Obama took the oath of office on the same bible that Lincoln used.  I'm guessing he definitely sees Lincoln looking down on him and is drawing on his example for moral support.

mabel1015j

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 07:31:15 PM »
Well, my goodness, Ella, you took me back 20 yrs when i went to the links about Ft Monroe. First of all, STTTRRATIGGGICCC PPPPLLLAAANNN! Ft Dix was on the Base Closing lists from the middle of the 70's until they did transition to a different kind of base in the 90's and strategic plans where being written constantly for those 20yrs. And then to have a look at Ft Monroe and to read again the history reminded me of the good times i had there. I was rather shocked to see that they might want to significantly change the island. It is so historically important, i'm glad to see it's on the National Historic Site list, that will protect some of it and i'm happy to see that there is a group hoping to make it a National Park, rather than a suburban development.

I remember a management exercise we did at DOA in decision making where an installation was being closed and each team had to figure out a plan of what to do w/ it???? Sounds familiar....................jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »
My sleep schedule is messed up, and I was up at 4 or 5 in the morning looking for something to put me to sleep. I stumbled on C-SPAN's discussion of books on Lincoln. Two Lincoln scholars each suggested their 15 or 20 favorite books about Lincoln - with very little overlap(there have been 90 published in the last two years alone).

I admit, I felt a little overwhelmed. But it was a good reminder that each historian has their own "take" or opinion on hitorical persons and "facts". So we must be a little careful to recognize opinions and points of view, and not take them as gospel. One of the participants said that three things are inevitable: death, taxes, and changes in what she called "historograpy", which I took to mean interpretations of history.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »
JONATHAN, I would like to know just what the Oval Office looks like now; what desk is he using, what is on it?  Does he have a computer on it or is his Blackberry enough?  Pictures on his credenza?  Is he an organized person, neat?  Does anyone know? 

Lincolnmania is everywere, on TV, the papers, the Internet, we will be reminded of him this month, the 200th anniversary of his birth.   Wouldn't he be amazed?  Other than George Washington, no other president has been so remembered, so honored,  to my knowledge.  Both are featured prominently on the Mall in Washington.  I did see the staute of FDR on my last trip to Washington, where his cape covered the wheelchair (as I remember)   It was a big decision at the time.  Perhaps all the presidents have statutes in the city?  I know their portraits hang in the White House, of course.

JEAN,  it was probably 20 years ago when I visited Fort Monroe with my late husband and I was happy to hear you say that the old, historic hotel on the water is being restored.  Although on the Army base, it does not belong to the government, a strange arrangement.  It has a long history and in the huge lobby there are pictures of prominent people sitting at tables on the lawn, the ladies in big hats, playing cards, and they played croquet and drank and smoked cigarettes and gossipped.  They came there to escape the heat and the smell of the big industrial cities.  The hotel had no air conditioning (even when we were there) but big windows and the ocean breezes kept it cool. 

I wish I knew the name of the hotel as it probably has a web site!

You are so right, JOAN, we must "recognize opinions and points of view."  Weren't you surprised though that so many (90!) new books about Lincoln have been published in just two years?  Can't be possible that this much material has been overlooked through the years!

One new book I read last year was THE LAST LINCOLN, by Charles Lachman - it was revelatory in regards to Mary Todd Lincoln and her one surviving son, Robert.  Sad!

--------------------------------------------------------

This book we will be discussing focuses on three men, Seward, Bates and Chase, as they relate to Lincoln's nomination and presidency.  All three men ran for the presidency, all three were his rivals for the election and all three were appointed by Lincoln to his cabinet. 

Much of this material is new and is referenced by letters and newspapers of the time.  Doris Kearns Goodwin is a reputable historian (see her other three books; one of which won the Pulitizer Prize) and is often on TV as a panelist or speaker on BookTV and other programs of historical note.

mabel1015j

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 11:31:42 PM »
Ella - the name of the hotel was Hotel Chamberlin and it apparently was another victim of 9/11. Sounds strange, yes, i tho't 9/11?? when i read the article, but the security measures made visitors unwelcome - see article ......

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2003/082003/08232003/1076200

what a shame, it was a glorious old building......................jean

LarryHanna

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 10:02:23 AM »
Ella, I heard a few days ago that President Obama is continuing to use the desk that George Bush used in the Oval Office.  I don't know about other changes.  I learned in a management course years ago that when going into a new office it is a good idea to at least move the furniture around.  That would be likely be hard to do in the White House.
LarryBIG BOX

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »
Thanks, JEAN, for the site and info about the Hotel Chamberlain.  What a shame, but unless major changes were made I can understand its demise.  When we stayed there during an Elderhostel trip, there was no access to the hotel other than through the Army base and, of course, with tightened security  in force now there would be no guests.

LARRY!  How very nice to see you here.  I hope you join us in the discussion, even if you don't read the book you have a perspective on history as we all do and can voice your opinion.  As I understand the Oval Office furniture, a new president can bring in anything he wants or refurnish the place.  A new oval rug?  New drapes, new couches.  Somewhere in the White House or adjoining buildings there is a huge storage facility of furniture, and desks used by other presidents are within and can be brought out and used.

Is that true?  I don't know, it was just something I thought I knew, hmmmm

--------------------------------

Obama's speech last night?  Was it persuasive?  Did it move you to believe that the bill pending before the Senate was necessary?

Lincoln, by all accounts in this book, was a master, a spellbinder, when it came to making speeches.  The speech he gave in Springfield (anti-slavery speech) at the annual State Fair in 1854 was one of his great ones, here are a few observations:

"it was evident that he had mastered his subject, that he knew what he was going to say, and that he knew he was right....one of the world's masterpieces of argumentative power and moral grandeur." - Horace White, reporter (p.165)

"Many of his arguments were familiar to those who had followed the Senate debate and had read Chase's masterly 'Appeal" but the structure of the speech was so clear and logical, the arrangement of facts so methodical, that the overall effect was strikingly original and most effective." (p.165)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »
We are - I am - overwhelmed by the mass of web sites and media attention to Lincoln during this 200th celebration of his birth.  Too much!  I am at an age where I have learned about all I need to know of this great man; however, I realize that there are young people who have yet to meet up with him and will listen and read.

This book follows three extraordinary men and their connection and influence on Lincoln and the strife of the nation.  It begins with Lincoln's marriage to Mary and his political ambitions.  I knew nothing of these men before and they are fascinating to me.

Every time I open the book this quote, among others, interests me and I must learn under what circumstances it was made - it's SOMETHING ELSE:

"The greatness of Napoleon, Caesar or Washington is only moonlight by the sun of Lincoln.   His example is universal and will last thousands of years.....He was bigger than his country - bigger than all the Presidents together ....  and as a great character he will live as long as the world lives." - Leo Tolstoy, The World, New York, 1909

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »
Hahahahaaa   All I had to do was turn to page 747 in our book to learn where Goodwin found the quote from Tolstoy.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2009, 11:59:26 AM »
Hello PatH and Ella and all of you who are gathering for the discussion of this book.  You ought to jump on a plane and come to Washington to celebrate the man's birthday.  (But the way, did you know that Charles Darwin and Abe Lincoln were born on Feb. 12, 1809?) I read this in today's Washington Post...

Washington is marking A Lincoln's birthday in many ways -

* New Lincoln stamps were just introduced by the US Postal Service - four stamps depicting his life...
 * Library of Congress - opens a new exhibit on Thursday - "with Malice Towards None"- rarely seen Lincoln treasures - his grammar book, his family Bible, originals of both of his inaugural addresses.

* At the National Archives - a live online teach in will take place - aimred at middle and high school students -
The say that teachers can go to  www.history.com/lincoln to register in advance and then log in at 1:30 EST Thursday.
Three Lincoln experts, including author Doris Kearns Goodwin will discuss Lincoln and take questions from the audience.

I plan to check this out...

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:27 AM »
Thanks, JOAN!   

Doris Kearns Goodwin, a Lincoln expert, will be in Washington to answer questions about Lincoln.

Everywhere, Lincoln.

I open the newspaper, three pages of illlustrations of Lincoln, this week's TIME magazine has a long article about him with a never-before published picture of the White House.  I'll see if I can find it online. 

Upon news of Lincoln's nomination for the presidency, Ralph Waldo Emerson recalled that his first reception of the news was the:

"comparatively unknown name of Lincoln"

had been selected and it was received sadly.

History is just absolutely fascinating.

Lincoln visited our Ohio statehouse 3 times, the last being when his coffin was viewed.  All sorts of celebrations are planned.

And why and how did this unknown become the president of the United States of America?  Did it have anything to do with his rivals for the nomination?

Let's discuss that possibility as we read the book!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 11:22:15 AM »
WOW!  TAKE A LOOK AT THIS:  Won't teachers enjoy teaching history from this site!  And students will what?   Groan?

http://www.whitehousehistory.org/

mabel1015j

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »
Ella - unfortunately it was only in the last 2 yrs of my teaching that i got to use a computer w/ web access in my classroom, i'd love to be teaching now - not only do i know the web better, but there is so much more on there.......actually the students liked seeing websites - i used it most in my Western Civ and US History classes - this is THEIR media and they are impressed w/ the prof who knows how to use it  8). Plus it takes them right to the spot that's being discussed and students today are very "visual" in their psyche. In fact, i found that some would go and find more of what we had discussed and seen, or add new sites. They knew that makes them look interested and the prof loves that! Altho, many are truely interested.....................jean