Author Topic: Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin-Prediscussion  (Read 20149 times)

Ella Gibbons

Re: Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »

Team of Rivals
by
Doris Kearns Goodwin

"More books about Abraham Lincoln line the shelves of libraries than about any other American. Can there be anything new to say about our 16th president? Surprisingly, the answer is yes. - ..... Doris Kearns Goodwin has written an elegant, incisive study of Lincoln......." - New York Times

The Team:
William H. Seward
Salmon P. Chase
Edward Bates

Links:
NPR Review
Wilmot Proviso
Dred Scott Decision
Kansas-Nebraska Act
Fugitive Slave Law
___________Discussion Schedule:
March 1 -  Chapters l-3
March 8 -  Chapters 4-7
March 15 -Chapters 8-11

March 22 - Chapters 12-15
March 29 - Chapters 16-19
April 5 -      Chapters 20-23
April 12 -    Chapters 24 -26

Discussion Leaders: Ella & PatH

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2009, 05:08:03 PM »
JONATHAN, I know you are Canadian; perhaps you knew:

".... there was fear by the British that at the end of the Civil War, no matter what its outcome, the Americans would turn on Canada. Thus, in the House of Lords, the Earl of Ellenborough noted:

in whatever manner the present civil war in America terminates--whether in the success of the North, or in the South suceeding in establishing their independence--that is whatever manner the present civil war in America terminates--the immediate result will be an irruption into Canada? If the people of the North fail, they will attack Canada to obtain a compensation for their loss. If they succeed, they will attack Canada in the drunkenness of victory."  Debate, House of Lords, July 18, 1862.

"the drunkenness of victory!"  - shame on Canada, of course, it could be true!

From skimming those two sites, BARBARA, (and thank you) it appears that before the war railroad building was left up to private initiative or the states; however the Civil War brought in the government for the first time, but it was a postwar project:

"The Civil War and the needs of post-Appomattox transportation brought changes in the American way of railroad building. Initially focused on local, limited markets with only modest capital investment, the railroad became a national industry dependant upon Congressional action, army deployment, and continuing access to national financial markets"

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »
ANYONE AROUND?

For some reason, yesterday, I could not get those italics off of that post above. 

Who listened to Obama's state of the union speech?  What did you think?   Lincoln-like?

I did email Joe Biden on this site   http://www.whitehouse.gov/  and told he he did a good job on his book, PROMISES TO KEEP. 

When they do those stress tests on banks I hope they post them so all of us will know where to keep/put what money we have left.

What did you want the government to do?  Less?  More?

We start on our book discussion Sunday,  am looking forward to it!

Jonathan

« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2009, 09:20:53 PM »
I always enjoy watching the state of the union addresses and Tuesday night's was just about the best. Many Canadians must have watched. And now we're wondering why we're not treated to the same by our prime minister. How inspiring. But I can hear our PM saying, what do you want from me? Don't we have an excellent, universal health care service? Aren't our schools the best? What energy problem? Haven't we made it comfortably through the longest, coldest winter in our history? And wasn't that a promise of spring that President Obama brought with him when he paid us the flying visit last week? What wonderful neighbors we have.

Yes, it's true. Canada is a nation thanks to the Civil War. There was a perceived threat to the northern colonies after the war ended. The victorious North did come out of the civil war with a huge military machine. Who could tell? Look what happened to Mexico in the forties. It seemed best for the colonies to confederate and present a united front. I believe it was Secretary Seward who saved us when he purchased Alaska in lieu of a military adventure in Canada. He would have made a fine president.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »
Okay, JONATHAN, I got that message!  Hahaaaaa   Canada, our good neighbor to the north is doing better economically than we are, can you loan us some money?  We need it!   We have been very frivolous and now we have to pay back the debts we owe; reminds me of Mary Todd Lincoln and the problems she had her whole life!

You are a very hardy lot up there; my memory is faulty about particulars but didn't Benedict Arnold try to kidnap Quebec way back when!    I think it's time to shake hands and be friends forever.

This is going to be on BookTV this weekend (in my area):

Robert Roper, Now the Drum of War: Walt Whitman and his Brothers in the Civil War
Robert Roper examines the experiences of Walt Whitman and his brothers during the Civil War through their correspondences with one and other and their mother, Louisa.  Walt Whitman worked as a nurse during the war and his younger brother, George Washington Whitman, fought in twenty-one battles, including Antietam and Vicksburg.  This event was hosted by The American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2009, 11:22:15 PM »
I'm almost packed to fly to California tomorrow to meet my first grandson, born on Lincoln's 200th birthday.  My daughter and SIL are computer wizards, and have promised me total use of a laptop (Mac, fortunately,I'm no good at PCs) so I'll be ready to go on Sunday the first.  I'll try to talk more about Abraham Lincoln than Baby Robert.

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2009, 01:33:26 PM »
Please join Ella and PatH in their March - Book Club Online -
Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin