Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Contemporary 2010  (Read 29810 times)

marcie

• Administrator
PBS Masterpiece Contemporary 2010
« on: November 10, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »

Masterpiece Contemporary 2010 brings two new dramas and a repeat of last season's award-winning political thriller ENDGAME. See the 2010 MASTERPIECE CONTEMPORARY schedule and episode descriptions.  Check your local listings.

Endgame

December 19, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
The award-winning Endgame is a real-life political thriller about the negotiations that led to the end of apartheid in South Africa and the release of Nelson Mandela. Starring William Hurt, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Jonny Lee Miller, Endgame was honored with a George Foster Peabody award.

Framed

December 26, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
An eccentric Welsh village learns that London's National Gallery is storing its entire art collection in a nearby mine during the museum's renovations — leading to curious encounters between the village locals and the gallery's urbane, lovelorn curator. Trevor Eve (David Copperfield) and Eve Myles (Little Dorrit) star in this gentle comedy, based on Frank Cottrell Boyce's best-selling novel of the same name.

Lennon Naked

November 21, 2010 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who) channels John Lennon in this acclaimed recreation of Lennon's last turbulent years with the Beatles. Naoko Mori (Torchwood) co-stars as Yoko Ono. An American Masters special, LENNONNYC, airs Monday, November 22, 2010, at 9pm.

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Contemporary 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:44:05 PM »
The last program, "FRAMED," is based on a whimsical children's book by Frank Cottrell Boyce.
From an AMAZON.com review of the book:
"In a quiet Welsh town, nine-year-old Dylan Hughes helps his family run the struggling Snowdonia Oasis Auto Marvel. Quirky characters populate the community, including Daft Tom, who has a decades-old obsession with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, cartoon characters named for Renaissance artists. One day a convoy of vans passes through town, headed to some abandoned slate quarry mines. Dylan learns that the convoy is transporting paintings taken from the National Gallery because of flooding in London (an incident based on a real art evacuation that took place during World War II). It isn't long before Dylan's own familiarity with the cartoon turtles results in a misunderstanding about his knowledge of art. Like the mutagen that transformed the Turtles, the presence of the paintings brings changes to Dylan's family and to the townsfolk. Even with an attempted painting heist, this is a quieter book than Millions (2004), but the readers who take to its message about the importance of art will be charmed. A list of the hidden paintings is appended. Chasing Vermeer, by Blue Balliett may be a good follow-up." Cindy Dobrez
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

I'm going to look for the book in my library in December. If anyone else wants to read the book we can talk about it a bit together with the PBS program.

Frybabe

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »
I think I will pass on the Lennon, but Endgame is a must see again. Framed sounds good. Art stored in a Welsh mine? Wouldn't that be a bit damp? I guess it is better than being flooded. I am looking forward to seeing some Welsh countryside. We never got up to the norther part of Wales when we were there.

JudeS

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 08:02:44 PM »
When we were in Wales on a tour we visited a Welsh mine.  We were equipped with hats with little lights on the front.  We traveled underground on small open carriages on tracks.  The mine had figures of miners doing all the things that Miners did
in the mine.
We heard interesting stories on the miners and their life underground. One interesting one was the fact that at lunch time they always had a sing-song that lightened their mood and kept their spirits up.  It was  a dangerous proffession.
I can say that the mine we visited was bone dry and I can imagine that the curators knew that when they decided to put the paintings there.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:41:40 PM »
I agree, Frybabe, that Endgame is worth seeing again. It was very suspenseful as well as informative.

How interesting, JudeS, that you've visited a Welsh mine. I wouldn't have thought of a mine as one of the usual tour attractions. It will be fun to see how the mine in the TV episode compares with what you saw.

Frybabe

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »
JudeS, I pretty much assumed that most mines are a bit damp at the least and downright wet in spots. George and I did a mine tour years ago in Ashland, PA. We were in open mine cars on tracks, but we were also able to get out and walk a little during the tour. The trip took us up through the tunnel to an opening near the top of the mountain and then back down. The mine was dry in spots and wet in spots.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »
 :)

nlhome

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »
I was only able to see part of Endgame last time, so I'm looking forward to seeing the whole episode. Maybe I should hope for a snowstorm so I'm stuck at home that night. (or not)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:39:46 PM »
Well...nlhome, good luck, either way  ;)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:55:17 AM »
Many years ago my mother and I visited a slate mine in north Wales - I think it was at Blaenau Festiniogg, and it was included in a trip on one of the many narrow gauge railways in that area.  I can't remember too much about it, but I don't think it was wet.  Trips down old mines are a regular tourist attraction in many areas of the UK, specially since Margaret Thatcher saw fit to close most of them.

South Wales is of course a well known coal mining area (see "How Green Was My Valley" - and a while ago I heard an excellent and very sad radio programme about the Aberfan disaster, in which a slag heap collapsed onto a primary school.  I was at primary school at that time, and remember our teacher leading us all in prayers for the little children who had died.  This programme interviewed some of the survivors and some of the bereaved parents - a lovely old man whose son had died recalled that when he had been found he still had the threepenny bit in his pocket that he had taken to buy his lunch).  There were, however, many other mining areas, including parts of the Midlands, and Fife in Scotland - most of the ex-mining towns in Fife are now poor, boarded-up towns with very high unemployment.

I have borrowed Framed from our children's library and am looking forward to starting it after Staying On.  This site is certainly encouraging me to branch out!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 11:10:28 AM »
Rosemary, thank you for the additional insight into mines and also their status as tourist attractions.

I, too, am looking forward to reading FRAMED. I also am branching out in my reading and viewing  habits just because of the fact these are PBS programs, which have been, on the whole, excellent.

Frybabe

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
Rosemarykaye, My Mom was from Merthyr Tydfil, just up the valley from Aberfan. She knew some of the families whose children died there. When we went to visit back in 1969, we went by train from Cardiff. The white crosses on the hillside across that narrow valley were heart wrenching to see. Several months ago I Googled the area to see what new might be going on. I could not find those white crosses anywhere on the Google satallite images. I don't know if they just didn't show up well one the satallite imaging or if they took them down.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 11:30:06 PM »
Reminder: Lennon Nakedwill be broadcast tomorrow evening on many station.

roshanarose

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »
Feeling like somewhat of an impostor here.  is PBS the same as UK BBC and Australian ABC?
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 02:31:11 AM »
Roshanarose, I think it is something like our BBC - I saw it a bit when I lived briefly in Newfoundland, and it seemed to have some of the BBC programmes, plus other similar things - and no adverts, although they did often broadcast appeals for cash to keep it going.  I think it stands for Public Service Broadcasting or something like that.

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 08:45:06 PM »
Hi Rosemary - hope you are well.  Actually, I was going to ask if anyone watches "Spooks"?
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 11:29:18 PM »
Rosemary, you explained our PBS very well.  Roshanarose, I hadn't heard of SPOOKS. I'll have to see if I get that program.

I note that Neil Cross, former lead script writer of Spooks, has authored the new BBC crime series, LUTHER. I am hooked on that bizarre show!  :)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 02:17:51 AM »
Hi Roshanarose - thanks, I am well and hope you are too.  I spent the weekend house-viewing in Edinburgh, which was a dispiriting experience.  I think this moving business is a bit like childbirth - you forget how awful it was until it starts again, then you straight away remember the reason you were never going to repeat it.  Selling our house has been a nightmare, during which I fondly thought that once it was sold we would be cherry-picking a new residence at our leisure.  Needless to say, all of the houses we looked at were either terrible or already had goodness knows how many people chasing them (which in Scotland means the sale goes to a closed bid, and we can't afford to offer masses over the already high asking prices).  Oh well, something will turn up  :)

I have not seen Spooks but I know many people who love it - my mother for one, also my work colleague.  The series has just finished here and they are both bereft.  My mother was looking forward to Wallender, but although the Radio Times promised the Swedish version, it turned out to be the Kenneth Brannagh UK one and she doesn't rate that.

Any Human Heart started last night - it's a much heralded TV version of William Boyd's book (which I haven't read, but my husband loves his work).  Unfortunately it started at 9pm, the exact same time that my daughter needed to be picked up from the Glasgow bus, so that was that - I know we can watch these things on i-player but i just doesn't seem the same to me.  It has Jim Broadbent in it - the main attraction for me, he's a wonderful actor.

Many of the houses we viewed had Virgin Multi-Media systems and things like that - plasma TVs all over the place.  My children think this is wonderful, but I am not too sure.  I did, however, watch a huge new TV in a shop whilst waiting for my husband to buy a computer mouse (just how long can that choice take?  you'd be surprised...), and I have to admit that I was impressed with the picture quality, so maybe I had better move into the 21st century.

Best wishes

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 04:20:37 AM »
Rosemary - It's not about the size but the quality.  I have a relatively small Sony Bravia and it suits me very well.  I think one needs to take into account the screen size in proportion to the room size.

Imho selling house, buying house and then moving house rates up there with the most stressful experiences that humans can endure.  My son-in-law was in awe of me (well, maybe for just a second) when I advertised, sold a house, and bought a new apartment at a profit with no help from him.  I then had to sell again because of my shattered ankle I could no longer climb up the 42 steps laden with groceries.  In Australia the apartment block has to have four storeys for the developers/builders to be legally bound to install a lift.  Selling was the easy part; moving was like something out of a nightmare, as you say, particularly when you are single.  So best of luck - my thoughts are with you.  Start training the kinder in "moving house",  a plan comes in handy.  e.g. make a list of all the things that need to be organised and allocate ten tasks at least to each family member, with threats of .... well you can work that one out.  Boring and anal I know, but often worthwhile.

I have been watching Spooks for 2 years now.  It comes and goes, but the quality of the acting holds me fast.  A couple of years ago they had a rather gorgeous blond man (can't remember his name) and Ros was his new sidekick.  Now Ros is in the driver's seat and she has an offsider with a past one can only boggle at.  I won't go on.... just ask your Mum.  It is worth watching though.  Very tight direction and a cop-less storyline.  MI6 are much more interesting.  

I think the comparison of moving house and childbirth is particularly apt. :-)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 11:06:10 AM »
I watched Lennon Naked last evening. While somewhat interesting, it isn't a program I'd recommend. I found a review at http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-john-lennon-20101122,0,3064151.story and I agree with what the reviewer says:
"Minus any demonstration of his importance, and with Eccleston playing the pained, petulant John to the near exclusion of the talented, charming one, we are left just with a portrait of a rich and prickly young man, impersonated by a comparatively old one: Eccleston, who is 46, plays Lennon only from 23 to 30, when he moved with Ono to the United States, where he would spend the rest of his life despite Richard Nixon's best efforts to deport him.

The documentary "LENNONYC," written and directed by Michael Epstein, picks up right where "Naked Lennon" leaves off, as John and Yoko arrive in New York, just a couple of huddled masses yearning to breathe free. Juxtaposed with "Lennon Naked," it argues for the superiority of biography over biopic: Here is the person, singing his songs, speaking for himself and being spoken of, seen in his own clothes in his own house."

The LENNONNYC biography airs tonight in my area.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 12:01:47 AM »
I Watched some lennon naked  last night but ended up turning it off...I did not like it at all...I never cared for Lennon...so i am not really surprised that i did not lke  the broadcast last night..Joan Grimes...
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

ALF43

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 09:32:08 AM »
Well I have always been and always will be a Beatles fan and a Lennon fan.
I saw them live in NY City in '64, living in New York and dating a cop.  That made it much easier to access the crowds. :o
Lennon was a mere mortal, like the rest of us and the presentation showed that with all of his idiosyncracies, foibles of being human and his penchant for addictive substances.  I like the 2nd presentation however and cried at the end.  I loved the way they ended the program with his death and the interviews that were conducted.  IMAGINE- all those people!!!!!!
Hey Marcie could we put a musical note icon in here?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 11:30:22 PM »
JoanG and Andy, it makes for interesting discussion when we have such polar views!

LOL, Andy, re dating a cop (not just to have access to Beatles concerts, I'm sure!  ;) )
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the musical note icon.

LENNONNYC is available for viewing at http://video.pbs.org/video/1657689250/ for those who missed the 2 hour program.

ALF43

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »
Marcie- oh yes!  He was a cutie and Irish as well.
What I meant I believe are called emoticons.  Wouldn't it be cool to have a clef or musical note emoticon?? ;D
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

rosemarykaye

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 02:09:09 PM »
Marcie - I am three-quarters of the way through "Framed" and it is absolutely wonderful.  I was sitting in bed this morning reading it and I couldn't stop laughing - it's a bit like Adrian Mole but with more plot and depth of characters.  My husband is reading what looks like a grim and depressing book by Irvine Walsh, who, IMO, peaked with Trainspotting and never did anything much good after that - I think I was having by far the better time  ;D

When i told my daughter Madeleine about Framed, she told me that she had already read it, and had also seen the TV programme (which you are getting on 26th Dec - but apparently we have already had it and of course I missed it) - she loved the book too, and said the programme is also good.  I had imagined Dylan as about 10 years old and she said that was just how he was played on TV.  I hope it will be repeated here as I would love to see it.

Thanks so much for recommending this book, and I would love to join in a discussion of it some time - maybe after the programme has aired on PBS?

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »
Andy, I'll see if we can add any musical emoticons.

Rosemary, that's great that you are reading the book and that you're finding it so delightful.  I'm going to get it from our library a little closer to the broadcast date so that I don't have to return it before the program is shown here. That's too bad you missed the TV program but I think it will be available online after it airs here and maybe you could view it then. We'll talk about the program and book after it airs on December 26. I'm looking forward to it.

Maryemm

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 09:12:01 AM »
I note a few familiar names here and, as I have seen "Framed" on TV, I thought I'd post and say "Hello"!

I didn't know the production was based on a book so I must now seek that out and see if it is available on Kindle. We have three inches of snow here and the fireside is very attractive.

I enjoyed "Framed" very much and have an idea the author based his story on actual happenings during WW2. About fifteen miles from my old Welsh home there are limestone caves. I knew them as the Dan- yr- Ogof* caves.  In the 1940's they were accessible to only a few but it was an open secret that the Ministry of Defence, who had taken over the caves at this time, used them to store ammunition and art treasures.

The caves have an interesting history and you might like to read about them here at:

http://www.showcaves.co.uk/caves.html

and at:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/tm_objectid=15298305&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=any-skeletons-in-your-closet--well--42-actually-name_page.html  

I found the last paragraph of particular interest with its reference to the Roman legions:

And it seems the Bone Cave has been a shelter or home for man during many different periods of time. Items such as bone pins, pottery, coins, iron, bronze and silver rings have been found in the cave, as well as relics dated to the time when Roman legions were stationed in the area.

* Welsh for "Under the Cave"!

I last visited the caves in the 1950's and so saw them when they were relatively unexplored. Now they have become a commercial venture, although still fascinating.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »
Maryemm, I am so glad that you've joined  us and have shared those informative sites with us. It also will be wonderful to have your first-hand thoughts as the rest of us view the program and some of us read the book.

Frybabe

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 12:36:49 PM »
Thanks, MaryEmm. Not too far from where Mom grew up. I wonder if she knew they were there.

BTW, I decided I'd much rather been doing Latin this year rather than having to go back to school for job re-training. I doubt it will do much good. Companies prefer to hire the younger folks. Age discrimination is still alive and well even with the anti-discrimination laws. It is very hard to prove.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 04:56:09 PM »
MaryEmm, that's fascinating.

In the book, the author does tell us that the plot is based on a true story from World War II.

I am hoping to see the programme somehow.  I hope you enjoy the book as much as my daughter and I did.

Rosemary

Maryemm

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »
Hello, MarcieI saw the programme quite a while back. I am sure Pete, (Latin student), had something interesting to say about it at the time. I'll contact him.

Frybabe:
Jobs are hard to find in the UK, I'm told; too many people ; too few jobs. I guess age discrimination is rife here also.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »
Frybabe, I'm so sorry that you are among the many people having difficulty finding a job.

Maryemm, thanks for contacting Pete. Maybe he'll join us here.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 04:55:14 AM »
Frybabe - it is just the same here.  Jobs are for the young, and experience is largely irrelevant.  Our Council has even launched (with its non-existent budget that doesn't allow it to grit roads, buy library books or provide music tuition) an "over 50s festival" - I ask you!!! I am not yet at the stage of wanting to spend my days making baskets and going to tea dances - and my mother, aged 82, feels just the same.  Bring back the real services and stop all this patronising nonsense is what we say (unheard, of course, as also invisible).

I am in the fortunate position of being able to manage without a "proper" job for a little while, and I do a bit of freelancing for my old firm and for another guy.  Although my income is substantially less, the fact that I actually get paid with a real cheque in my hands (rather than a bank transfer) somehow makes it more exciting (sad I know).  When we move we are planning to buy something cheaper and get rid of the remains of our mortgage at last, which will take some of the money pressure off.  I have found over these past months that it is so good to have some time to yourself - there are so many things to do in this life, and we pass this way but once, as they say.  I'm sure you'll get so much out of your Latin studies.

Having said that, I fully appreciate that unemployment is not a financial option for many, many people, and the whole ageism thing is terrible.  My mother has always bristled at being called "dear" in shops - now it is happening to me and I can see exactly what she means.  If only we had had the wisdom of age when we were young - although I think the difference now is that many young people think they do have it - whereas at their age I had no confidence whatsoever.  My children appear, for better or worse,  to have grown up like me - I do wish they had a bit more confidence, but I'm glad they're not as full of themselves as some youngsters.

Rosemary

Maryemm

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2010, 11:51:52 AM »
Frybabe: I'm one of the invisible ones but, being retired, the ageiem factor regarding getting a job is something I have not experienced. I do know from the offspring that 40+ year olds have a difficult time getting interviews, let alone a job.  it is so sad. When I was young I could pick and choose and know that my job was "safe". Today, nothing is safe!

Marcie:
I am in touch with Pete and he reminded me that the cyclist on the hairpin bend in "Framed" is a friend of his daughter's!!   ;D The latter lives around that region.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2010, 09:39:25 PM »
Wow, Maryemm. That's great that Pete has an acquaintance in Framed.

Maryemm

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 07:28:49 AM »
Pete has an acquaintance in Framed.
: Marcie

Well we all are supposed to be entitled to 15 minutes of fame!!  ;D

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 09:43:03 AM »
I did not enjoy the PBS Lennon Masterpiece, but am looking forward to Framed.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 11:40:29 AM »
I too am looking forward to seeing Framed. I just got the book out of my library.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 03:23:36 PM »
I am also looking forward to Framed...i will be reading it on my Kindle...Will start it soon..
Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Maryemm

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »
I've only just discovered I can download it to my Kindle, Joan. Isn't it useful!