Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011  (Read 91111 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2011, 04:01:43 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2011 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2011 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

CONTEST NEWS!
MASTERPIECE sweepstakes gives fans a chance to go on location
.....................................................................................
What better way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of MASTERPIECE on PBS than by touring some of the stunning locations from the series? The MASTERPIECE 40th Anniversary Sweepstakes runs until Tuesday, April 26 and will send the grand prize winner and a guest on a four-day, three-night trip to the United Kingdom. The trip includes VIP tours of Highclere Castle (DOWNTON ABBEY), Greenway (home of Agatha Christie) and Blenheim Palace (THE LOST PRINCE), while enjoying accommodations with MacDonald Hotels & Resorts in the historic cities of Bath (PERSUASION) and Oxford (INSPECTOR LEWIS).  Learn more at http://www.pbs.org/masterpiecesweepstakes

NOW DISCUSSING

Upstairs Downstairs
April 10, 17 & 24, 2011 at 9pm

Three 60-minute episodes
Upstairs Downstairs is an updated version of one of the most-loved television series. Jean Marsh reprises her Emmy-winning role as Rose along with series co-creator Eileen Atkins (Cranford). Keeley Hawes, Ed Stoppard and Art Malik (The Jewel in the Crown) also star.

COMING

South Riding
May 1, 8 & 15, 2011 at 9pm

Three 60-minute episodes
Anna Maxwell Martin (Bleak House) and David Morrissey (Sense & Sensibility) lead the cast in Andrew Davies's (Bleak House, Little Dorrit) three-part adaptation of Winifred Holtby's moving love story.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

The 39 Steps
March 27, 2011 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Secret agent Richard Hannay battles German spies on the eve of World War I in a riveting and romantic new version of the thriller by John Buchan. Rupert-Penry Jones (Persuasion) stars as Hannay.  Learn more about this series at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/39steps/39steps.html.  Read some of Buchan's works online at http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a285

Any Human Heart
February 13, 20 & 27, 9pm

Three 90-minute episodes)
William Boyd adapts his acclaimed 2002 novel about a man making his often precarious way through the 20th century. Matthew Macfadyen, Gillian Anderson, Hayley Atwell, Kim Cattrall and Jim Broadbent star. Watch online through March 22 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html.

The Unseen Alistair Cooke
February 6, 9pm

One 60-minute episode
Told in his own voice and home movies, The Unseen Alistair Cooke shows America as the beloved Masterpiece Theatre host Alistair Cooke saw it — the raw material for a lifetime of journalism. (Repeat) Watch online through 2/13 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/cooke.html

Downton Abbey
January 9, 16, 23 & 30, 9pm

(Four 90-minute episodes)
A stately country house, a noble family and a succession crisis are the backdrop for this epic drama by Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park) starring Hugh Bonneville, Maggie Smith, Elizabeth McGovern and others. Watch full episodes online through 2/22/11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

My Boy Jack
January 2, 9pm

One 120-minute episode)
Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) stars in a World War I drama about beloved storyteller Rudyard Kipling's only son, missing on the Western front in 1915. David Haig and Kim Cattrall co-star as the famous author and his American wife, Carrie. My Boy Jack offers an intimate portrait of a nation at war and one divided family. (Repeat)

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

Somehow, I lost this discussion, and have just found it again. Maybe you moved when my computer was down.

I couldn't believe that the last episode of "Downton Abbey" was the last. I watched it a second time, to make sure. I think Maggie Smith's statement that mary had just lost the only decent proposal of marraige she would ever get" was supposed to tell you what would happen to her. but now they're having a second eason, maybe there is hope. Otherwise, she and Sybil will be left old maids to snipe at each other for the rest of their lives.

I watched "Any human heart", but it was hard to get interested in him. i'll give it one more try.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2011, 03:39:18 PM »
JoanK, I'm glad you are back with us. Maybe tonight's episode will be more engaging for those of us who had difficulties getting into the first one.

EvelynMC

« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2011, 04:55:21 PM »
I have to say, this episode was slow.  I found myself looking a my watch a time or two.  However, interestingly, my husband watched it with me last week and again last night.  So, I have a feeling this is a man's movie.

I am not going to comment on any of the specifics, because I don't want to be a spoiler for those of you who will catch it some time this week. One of the happenings didn't surprise me, because I was expecting it.  But I am glad they will wrap things up in the next episode because I am fast losing interest in some of these characters.  And I cannot believe all this sleeping around and also all the drinking and smoking.  It's like another world.

I'll comment more specifically later.  

Evelyn

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2011, 05:13:11 PM »
Reminds me of what we heard about Ernest Hemingway and other writers of that period - never did look - is this about an actual writer or is the entire character made up - they sure trash Edward and Wally Simpson don't they. I guess as we all clear out we are reminded of all our losses as well as the loves in our lives - for most of us that will be snippets of memories of our children and husbands and other friends and family.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
Last night here in the UK we saw the first episode of a new adaptation of Winifred Holtby's South Riding.  I recall seeing the first adaptation (I think) starring ? Dorothy Tutin when I was still at school; everyone watched it in the way we all did in those 3 channel and no computer days.

Anyway, this new version is (so far) excellent.  It stars Anna Maxwell Martin as Sarah Burton, the newly appointed and progressive head of a girls' school in Yorkshire in 1934.  In the first episode we have already met the local landowner, his disturbed daughter, a family from "the shacks" = slums that the local council refuse to do anything about, and so on.

Winifred Holtby was, I believe, a friend of Vera Brittain, part of a generation of women whose men had died in the first war, and who wanted more than a stay at home life.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it appears on PBS.

Rosemary

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2011, 06:51:47 PM »
Rosemary: thanks. It sounds better than the "Any human Heart" we are getting.

I watched it: can't really "get into" the main character. And the scenes of him in old age, burning mementoes are just too evocative.

The most interesting part was the portrayal of Edward VIII. and Wallace. my goodness -- I hope they weren't really THAT bad.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »
Just been watching "Garrow's Law"  Hopefully it will be on masterpiece theatre--it's excellent.  My husb got it from the BBC catalogue and the date is 2010.  It makes Dowton Abbey look like a second rate soap opera.  Its about a real defence lawyer in England in the 1790s or so.   Gripping storylines based on true cases showing how the law and court system has developed.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2011, 08:08:57 PM »
I just can't get interested in "Any Human Heart".  Will pass on the last episode and hope for something I'll enjoy when that is finished.

serenesheila

« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I watched the first two episodes of "Any Human Heart", last night.  I enjoyed it.  I love the scenery, the clothes and cars of the time period.  Think the acting is first rate.  I cried when he leaned that his wife and child were killed in a bombing raid.  So much death and dying during that time. 

I cannot remember when the Duke of Windsor died.  My great grandmother was fascinated with him, and Wallis.  We lived near Hollywood, California, and often read about them in the local papers.  The way they are depicted in AHH seems realistic.

Sheila

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2011, 03:29:46 PM »
Here's another novel that loses much in translation to film.  Have you read any of William Boyd's other novels? - prize-winning, much acclaimed novels - A Good Man in Africa, An Ice Cream War - Brazzaville Beach. These are hard hitting, straightforward approaches to social issues of the time...tinged with humor, with irony - edgy stories, not the romance as the adaptation seems to be.

I'm reading this book because I want to find out what Boyd intended with his plot.  I'm puzzled at what has brought this old man to tears as he burns his journals which he has kept all his life.   Why is he sobbing?  Perhaps it is because he regrets the mistakes he has made.  WHY is he burning them now?

Boyd's novel begins with the quote from Henry James - "Never say you know the last word about any human heart."  The next page - the title page says"
Any Human Heart
THE INTIMATE JOURNALS
OF LOGAN MOUNTSTUART
The whole novel is in the form of Journals - which Logan Mountstuart keeps from 1923 when he begins the Abbey School in England, having just moved from Uruguay.  I think it was a mistake not to include these early journals, "The School Novels,"  in the film version - it is here that the boy's character is formed, and life-long associations made with Peter Scabius and Ben Leeping - whose challenges pushed him to behave as he does later in life.

There is a "Preamble to These Jounals"   in which Boyd explains that the first years of the diaries, written when he was fifteen -  are missing.  He tells us that at the start, he vowed to tell the  truth, the whole truth.  He writes that sometimes he behaved well, sometimes less than well - but has resisted all attempts to present himself in a better light.
He explains that journal keepers keep such journals "to entrap that collection of selves that forms us, the individual human being."
Perhaps that's why the old man weeps at the end - because he regrets his life - the life captured in these journals.  We don't see that old man in the novel.  That will come at the end, perhaps.

Do you keep journals? Sometimes I wish I had...but maybe reading the unedited, unvarnished story of some of the low points of my life = would be too much of a reminder, too hard to take.

I think  Boyd's story is about these Journals, not the other way around.  We'll see -  Know that I'm reading the book, and if there's something in the film that confuses you, please ask, and maybe Boyd the novelist can supply an explanation.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
JoanP: good for you. Would you recommend the book?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2011, 09:08:40 PM »
An interesting question, JoanK.  I'm really enjoying it -  Boyd has turned many writers and artists into characters in the book - who interact with his fictional Logan Mountstuart ...he meets Hemingway, Waugh, V. Wolfe, James Joyce...
A warning, there are some rather graphic scenes that take place during LM's years at Oxford where he has his first sexual encounters.  More  than you are seeing in the PBS series. ;)

I'm beginning to see why the aging Mountstuart is weeping as he burns the journals.  The younger Mountstuart treats friendship - and women, in a cavalier manner - while  claiming total honesty in the journals, oblivious to the hurtful way he uses people.  Perhaps he recognizes this in his journals at the end of his life.  

I can understand why PBS is interspersing scenes of the younger Mountstuart with the older as he weeps over his earlier actions. (Boyd doesn't do this in the book)  An example - while at Oxford, he promises to help his old pal from the Abbey prep school...by keeping his fiancee, Tess, company, while Peter's father is at Oxford for a month.  Mountstuart seems to think nothing of the "favors"  he is doing for his old Friend by  bedding Peter's future wife - on numerous occasions.  As long as Peter doesn't know, no one is getting hurt- he rationalizes.
He sounds awful, doesn't he?  Really, the book is fun - and poignant - at the same time.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »
I'm really looking forward to tonight's final installment - Havent finished the book beyond last week's sad story of the war years and the loss of Freya and Stella.

There's one line in the book that sheds light on why the aging Logan Mountstuart is weeping at the end of his life...

Says the young Mountstuart -

"I've always urged myself to do what I want to do, not what I ought to do." 

So many times in his life, he makes his choices based on this principle.

In the book, there's the moment before LM jumps from the helicopter when he regrets (too late)  risking his life with a wife and child at home.  I can see why he regrets his life at the end...

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2011, 05:24:25 PM »
I didn't recognize Kim Cattrall in "Human Heart"  Was the Red head with whom he had the Baby.  The last part will be on tonight.  I have enjoyed it even though it did seem to jump around to much,
I have the book ordered and maybe I will enjoy it more.

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »
Rosemary,

I hope to see "South Riding" on Masterpiece over here in the US.  Will be awhile I think if it is just coming out on UK.TV.  I will see if I can find the book.

Being from Lancashire I looks forward to any of the stories made about the North.  They do a very good job of  filming in the true areas.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »
Jeanne - the second episode was last night and was very good.  David Morrissey is lovely   ;D

Where do you come from in Lancashire?  My husband was born in Bramhall outside Stockport.  His parents have moved to the Lake District now, which is wonderful, but I used to enjoy visiting them in Bramhall and going into Manchester.

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2011, 01:31:21 PM »
Kim played the part of Gloria, JeanneP.  She married Logan's friend, Peter - for a time.  In the third episode she comes to stay with Logan her only friend.

In the book, the old man is not weeping as he burns his journals while living in France.  Actually, he is quite positive, viewing his life - with no regrets.  This from the last pages of the book - in which Logan contemplates his life:

"...all my sporadic highs and appalling lows, my brief triumphs and terrible losses...looking over the beach and the ocean as the sun begins to drop down in the west, a strange sense of pride: pride in all I have done and lived through, prould to think of the thousands of people I've met and known and the few I've loved."
I closed the book thinking to myself this would be a nice way to go out - with no regrets.  His life seemed to me a roller coaster - but I suppose this is what we all experience - the highs, the lows.
I've been questionning why this is a Masterpiece "Classic".  What makes one work a classic?  Does it simply withstand the test of time?  Or does it make a statement, concern itself with the human condition?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »
The folks at PBS have just informed us of a sweepstakes they are running for a trip to see some of the sights we've loved on Masterpiece.

MASTERPIECE sweepstakes gives fans a chance to go on location
.....................................................................................
What better way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of MASTERPIECE on PBS than by touring some of the stunning locations from the series? The MASTERPIECE 40th Anniversary Sweepstakes runs until Tuesday, April 26 and will send the grand prize winner and a guest on a four-day, three-night trip to the United Kingdom. The trip includes VIP tours of Highclere Castle (DOWNTON ABBEY), Greenway (home of Agatha Christie) and Blenheim Palace (THE LOST PRINCE), while enjoying accommodations with MacDonald Hotels & Resorts in the historic cities of Bath (PERSUASION) and Oxford (INSPECTOR LEWIS).  Learn more and enter at http://www.pbs.org/masterpiecesweepstakes

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
OH wow, I've been to Highclere, in fact I went last summer, it's DEFINITELY worth entering just for that, not to mention all the others!~ I've never been to Greenway and I've always wanted to go. Wouldn't it be a hoot if one of us WON? hahaha

Thank you for letting us know about it, hopefully one of us will win!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #139 on: March 08, 2011, 01:08:14 PM »
That's a great prize - get entering everyone!  Bath is a beautiful city - I used to visit it as a child because my mother had a friend there.  We used to swim in an ancient swimming bath heated from the hot springs.  It has now all been smartened up - I haven't been since but I have seen pictures of the amazing new pool, I think it is on a rooftop or something.

By strange coincidence, at this very moment there is an item on Radio 4 about Agatha Christie's husband, who was of course a well known archaeologist.  He met her somewhere in the desert, and on their trip back together he decided she would make a good life companion as she was so resourceful when their vehicle got stuck somewhere.  he said they had a great deal in common because both archaeologists and crime writers sift the truth from a few, elusive, clues.

Rosemary

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »
I would love to swim in that pool...even "smartened" up, Rosemary.  Is it hot springs water?  On a rooftop?  Hmmm

Did you notice that you can enter the contest ONCE A DAY?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »
JoanP - here is the link:

http://www.thermaebathspa.com/

It was not on a roof top when I went there, but I must say it looks lovely.

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »
Somewhere in Agatha Christie's Come Tell Me How You Live she says that her husband Max Mallowan, the archaeologist,  liked her because he likes old things. hahahaa What a wonderful book that was, just the opening lines about her trying to shop for an archaeological expedition are some of the funniest lines I've ever read, I loved that book. I'm thinking she wrote two autobiographies,  I could be wrong on that,  but I bought a long time ago all of her books in print, they were bound the same, not particularly nicely I guess when you think of it,  in black, but it was nice to have them all. She also wrote under a pen name and I really liked those as well, particularly A Daughter's a Daughter.

I would really love to see her house after reading about it, but I've never been to Devon, I think it is.

Babi

« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2011, 08:33:13 AM »
 What pen name did Christie write under, GINNY?  I didn't know about
that.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2011, 09:00:57 AM »
Apparently, Agatha Christie wrote her early novels under the name of Mary Westmacott, Babi.  Her daughter wrote an essay about these six novels...interesting
to read about them. They seem to be autobiographical, not her  crime solving mysteries for which she became famous. They were not well received, though Christie was pleased with them.
Here's what her daughter wrote about them - Mary Westmacott novels.

You're right, Rosemary, the pool looks wonderful - but I'd prefer the ancient grungy one...I think.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2011, 12:18:57 AM »
I believe the ancient grungy one has been cloed as unhealthy. And you're not allowed to "take" (drink) the waters; again unhealthy. All us Jane Austen readers know about going to Bath to take the waters.

But I understand the building where Austen's characters went to take the waters is still operating, serving "teas".(I wish we Americans would adopt the English meal of "tea" in the afternoon. It sounds so nice).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2011, 02:37:14 AM »
Oh Joan wouldn't it be fun for a month long discussion in which each of us share a weekly or daily tea we fix for ourselves or with guests - we could do a fantasy tea where we each bring something to a weekly tea as part of the discussion - we could gather up and share from some library books information about tea, tea growing, recipes, china on and on - a Month of Tea - I would love that...May - that is when we could consider this - in May many of  us could stop for a leisurely or a quicky tea in the out-of-doors before the summer heat - I wonder if Rosemary or Gumtree or Octavia or roshanarose are in the habit of taking time for tea since they are from the part of the world that does tea - although, I am under the impression that tea can mean an early supper not just an afternoon repast - but it would be fun wouldn't it - oh and if some of us could share photos of our tea - yes, this could be great. What do you think...?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2011, 02:54:38 AM »
JoanK -yes, I think the old swimming bath was closed down some years ago - I don't think it was unhealthy!  We survived!  As a child, I used to think I was swimming in the same pool that the Romans had used - unfortunately I don't think it was quite that old, but it did have an "ancient" air about it.  The changing cubicles were round the edge of the pool, and I'm sure there weren't any lockers, you just left your stuff in the cubicle.  Although Bath has always been popular, it was not the tourist mecca then that it is today.

The taking of the waters has been on and off for years.  Again, I have tried them and had no ill effects.  I don't know what it is like elsewhere, but in the UK we are hardly allowed to do anything now.

As to tea - I am constantly amazed, when reading Barbara Pym novels, that all of the (very middle class) characters manage to wolf down huge afternoon teas (brought in by the maid) only a short time before dressing for dinner.  I love tea and scones, etc but I couldn't eat dinner right on top of them.  One of our cafes - a lovely little place called Rosie's Thistle Tea Room - does a full afternoon tea with cakes on a cakestand.  I recall reading a cookery writers column years ago in which the writer had visited all of the places that she thought might still have proper tea.  The only one that did was Eton, where the housemistress she spoke to said that it was still very much an institution at the school, and that old boys always looked forward to it if they came back to visit.  I fear that you wouldn't really find it in private homes now - everyone is at work, too busy, or too concerned about their waistlines.  Even my parents in law, who are retired, don't have it - and I'm quite sure MIL was brought up with tea served every afternoon.  There are, however, plenty of cafes restoring the lost art of cake making - unfortunately (IMO) cupcakes have been all the rage lately, but there are some places baking the traditional recipes - things like fruit cake, Madeira cake, scones, Victoria sandwich, rock cakes, etc.  Yum.

Here is a link to one of my top favourites in Edinburgh:

http://mimisbakehouse.com/

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2011, 04:28:12 AM »
Rosemary what are Stovies - the lunch menu included 'Luxury Homemade Stovies' served with Oatcakes and love.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »
Oh, Rose, that tea sounds lovely. When we were in London, 40 years ago, we met an Englishman who treated us to a proper English tea with Devonshire cream. It was wonderful. The Scottish tea sounds similar, although, better I'm sure. I just finished reading one of Alexander McCall Smith's books set in Edinburgh, and I'm ready to jump on a plane and come.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2011, 04:01:58 PM »
Well, stovies are a sort of mixture of meat and potatoes.  I think traditionally the meat was the leftovers from the Sunday roast, which were then stewed up with potatoes and maybe onions, but they are also quite often made with mince.  There is also something called mince and skirlie, the skirlie being cooked oatmeal.  I must admit I am not mad on either of these, but they are very popular with native Aberdonians!

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #151 on: March 11, 2011, 08:35:14 AM »
 The stovies sound very much like our hash...a compound of leftover
meat and potatoes heated in a skillet for a nice crust.  Onions are often
included, and if you add beets you have 'red flannel' hash. ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: March 11, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »
Yes that's right, JoanP. She and her daughter had a very interesting relationship. I loved Absent  in the Spring and A Daughter's a Daughter, that one really tells more than one story. :)

The bound set that I have includes all of those as well.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #153 on: March 11, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »
Babi - we also have something called corned beef hash (which is not Scottish) - my husband always insists on making it when we are on holiday in the Lake District.  It consists of corned beef, potatoes, tomato puree, onions, etc all cooked in a wide frying pan.  It is a solid thing and as you say it has a nice crust.  I do like it but it's SO calorie-laden - only feel I can eat it after I've been up a mountain!   Stovies are more watery than that (and not as nice, IMHO).

Rosemary

Babi

« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2011, 07:42:08 AM »
 I love corned beef hash, ROSEMARY,  but I don't try to prepare it from scratch like your dear
husband does.  I know a good canned brand, but as you say it is fattening, so I don't have it
too often.  Love a good reuben, too.  I know a restaurant that makes a reuben sandwich that
is soo-o-o-0 good, but again I wouldn't dare eat it often.  But once in a whlle.... umm.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
Babi - what is Reuben?

Rosemary

Frybabe

« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2011, 08:34:59 AM »
I always liked the open-faced Reuben one of the downtown taverns had on their menu years and years ago. I've never since seen an open-faced Reuben on any other menus. The regular Reuben sandwiches always pale by comparison. Rosemarykaye, a Reuben is made from sliced corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut on toasted (usually) rye (with seeds) bread. Oh, and I almost forgot - Thousand Island (or was it Russian) dressing.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
I love a good Reuben.  The one I get has Thousand Island dressing.  You all are making me hungry!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2011, 08:44:02 PM »
I'm putting this link here which I found in another discussion on our site.
http://www.smittenbybritain.com/2011/02/second-season-of-downton-abbey

It's an article about the second season of Downton Abbey coming in Winter 2011 to PBS.

I haven't had a Reuben sandwich or corned beef hash in a very long time. I too love them but they are probably quite high in "bad things" for our health :-)

Babi

« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
 I see FRYBABE has answered your question, ROSEMARY.  And I haven't had my breakfast yet
and I'm definitely hungry just reading about it.

Oh, Good!, MARCIE. I'm so glad to hear there is a definite return scheduled for Downton
Abbey.