Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011  (Read 91125 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2011, 10:41:38 PM »

Masterpiece Classic 2011 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2011 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

NOW DISCUSSING

South Riding
May 1, 8 & 15, 2011 at 9pm

Three 60-minute episodes
Anna Maxwell Martin (Bleak House) and David Morrissey (Sense & Sensibility) lead the cast in Andrew Davies's (Bleak House, Little Dorrit) three-part adaptation of Winifred Holtby's moving love story.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

Upstairs Downstairs
April 10, 17 & 24, 2011 at 9pm

Three 60-minute episodes
Upstairs Downstairs is an updated version of one of the most-loved television series. Jean Marsh reprises her Emmy-winning role as Rose along with series co-creator Eileen Atkins (Cranford). Keeley Hawes, Ed Stoppard and Art Malik (The Jewel in the Crown) also star. Watch the episodes online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The 39 Steps
March 27, 2011 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Secret agent Richard Hannay battles German spies on the eve of World War I in a riveting and romantic new version of the thriller by John Buchan. Rupert-Penry Jones (Persuasion) stars as Hannay.  Learn more about this series at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/39steps/39steps.html.  Read some of Buchan's works online at http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a285

Any Human Heart
February 13, 20 & 27, 9pm

Three 90-minute episodes)
William Boyd adapts his acclaimed 2002 novel about a man making his often precarious way through the 20th century. Matthew Macfadyen, Gillian Anderson, Hayley Atwell, Kim Cattrall and Jim Broadbent star. Watch online through March 22 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html.

The Unseen Alistair Cooke
February 6, 9pm

One 60-minute episode
Told in his own voice and home movies, The Unseen Alistair Cooke shows America as the beloved Masterpiece Theatre host Alistair Cooke saw it — the raw material for a lifetime of journalism. (Repeat) Watch online through 2/13 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/cooke.html

Downton Abbey
January 9, 16, 23 & 30, 9pm

(Four 90-minute episodes)
A stately country house, a noble family and a succession crisis are the backdrop for this epic drama by Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park) starring Hugh Bonneville, Maggie Smith, Elizabeth McGovern and others. Watch full episodes online through 2/22/11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

My Boy Jack
January 2, 9pm

One 120-minute episode)
Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) stars in a World War I drama about beloved storyteller Rudyard Kipling's only son, missing on the Western front in 1915. David Haig and Kim Cattrall co-star as the famous author and his American wife, Carrie. My Boy Jack offers an intimate portrait of a nation at war and one divided family. (Repeat)

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

"I think it was that stress that brought on her fatal attack of asthma".

Is that why she died? I didn't get it, and thought it was rather contrived. Also the plot between the chauffer and the sister followed so closely that in Daughton (is that right?) Abbey. They made it seem imitative.

But the material about the differing and confused reactions to the Nazi ideas was interesting. It follows a book we discussed here recently about politics of the period. Of course, most who supported the nazis had no idea about the camos.

I wonder how much the German maud knew. She said her husband was "in jail". Of course, he weas really in a camp. Not clear whether she knew yet what that meant.

MaryPage

« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »
I am not sure he would have been in a camp in 1936.  Prison might well have been more likely.  The Nazis did start the first camp in 1933, but the wholesale railroading of Jews into camps really became a big thing starting in 1939.

Since this is a work of fiction, we cannot really know.  But given the background of the year 1936, prison is appropriate.

jeriron

« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:30 PM »
Didn't she say he was a political prisoner?

MaryPage

« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2011, 02:38:44 PM »
That is my memory of it.  It fits with the time;  i.e., her getting out of Germany and him being in prison.  Had she not been a university teacher or something like?  In 1936, jail for him for his views and escape for her would make sense.  As I said, the mass slaughter of the Holocaust did not really begin until 1939.  The top brains in the British government could discern the danger to the Jews, although not even they could believe the extent of the genocide until the camps were liberated and the ghastly secrets came out.

Germany attacked Poland and began World War II for Great Britain in August or September of 1939.  We did not get into it until December 8, 1941, with FDR's declaration the day after Pearl Harbor.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
I cannot find it on the Internet but there was a ship loaded with escaped Jews that was looking for a country to allow them in - they were off our shore and we would not accept them and sent them back to Germany - this was in the late 30s and so if our own government sent them back you know we did not have a clear picture of what they were facing when they returned.

And here we have the British high command not allowing a Turkish ship filled with Jews to disembark in Palestine because they were professional people and would not be a  good mix with the people of Palestine - children  under the age of 11 were allowed to stay - and this is December 20, 1941 a couple of weeks after the US entered the war and two years after England was engaged in the war.
http://www.eretzyisroel.org/~jkatz/struma.html

Found it - on this site http://www.notowitz.com/Voices/BookContents/VoicesTimeline.html
1939 - June - After being turned away by Cuba and the United States, the ship St. Louis, crowded with 930 Jews escaping the Nazis, is forced to return to Europe. The refugees were eventually granted asylum in England, France, and Belgium, but only the 288 Jews who went to England were spared deportation to Nazi camps.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanR

« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2011, 03:52:24 PM »
I saw the newsreel of the turned away ship - I was in the 8th grade and our whole family had gone to the Sat. night movies in town.  I remember nothing of the movie we saw but I remember everything about the newsreel.  I cried quietly all the way on our long drive home while my parents chatted about the film in the front seat.  My younger brothers & sisters were just too young to understand.

I remember that incident so vividly.  I felt that no one cared but me.
.There was more prejudice in our country back then than one can imagine today.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2011, 04:14:06 PM »
Joan that is when the whole issue of law versus human values and the ambiguity of it all comes to play - I found another article that was pages long about Jews in American and it said the whole issue was immigration law that did not change till "after" WWII in 1948 - which is like what is going on today and the sides we take over kids brought here as infants from Mexico and now risking deportation, as well as we not allowing students who came here and paid top dollar to attend our Universities and now they must return when they would prefer to add to the wealth of this nation with their newly minted top of the line US education. There is a Robert Frost quote  that I remember from time to time that says 'Before I built a wall I'd ask to know what I was walling in or walling out'.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2011, 09:09:49 AM »
The St. Louis was the ship you are talking about.  It was the only one.  The U.S. was quite anti-Semitic in those days, and no one but no one imagined the Germans were actually KILLING Jews.  No one here would have been so cruel had they known.  It was a "let someone else take care of this problem" kind of a time.  The story of that ship bothered me, too;  but it was years later before I learned of it.

Read the New Yorker review of Upstairs/Downstairs last night.  Nancy Franklin.  More later.

Babi

« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2011, 09:11:59 AM »
 I believe good servants were not as available in the 30's as they were in the original
time of 'Upstairs,Downstairs', ABELAINE. And certainly not for the pay the new lady of
the house was offering. She really had no idea how important good, experienced servants
were in keeping a house that size running smoothly.

I think you're right, JOANK. Some type of shenanigans between a young lady of the family
and one ot the hired hands is pretty much a cliche now.  It used to be handsome grooms;
now it's handsome chauffeurs.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2011, 09:48:59 PM »
I think you are right, Babi.  Good servants went to war in the first World War, and those who lived through it often returned to other jobs.  Then World War II took the rest of them.  The ultra rich seem to have staffs to help today, but the middle class does not automatically hire servants as they did when I was a child.

The review of Upstairs/Downstairs in The New Yorker was a trifle sour in spots, but on the whole the critic liked it.  She did report what I had not previously heard:  SIX MORE EPISODES have been approved and are fixing to be filmed.  Hurrah!  I find Nancy Franklin an excellent writer who is most dreadfully self-conscious about her own excellence.  She tries, and pretty well succeeds at making every sentance a wowzer  It quite wears the reader out after a while.  But I will give her a pass until next time, as I mostly approved the review.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2011, 08:42:06 PM »
Thanks for the info about the New Yorker review, MaryPage. There is an interesting review at The Guardian too, at http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/dec/27/upstairs-downstairs-period-drama

MaryPage

« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »
And here is a bit of the New Yorker review, but I do not want to subscribe to the on line New Yorker in order to get it all.  I read the paper version.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/television/2011/04/18/110418crte_television_franklin

http://earideas.com/earideas/explore/show/110160/Nancy+Franklin+on+the+return+of+%22Upstairs+Downstairs%22

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
Doris Goodwin's biography of Roosevelt in the war years has a good descrip[tion of Roosevelt's decision not to let Jews shelter here. Elinor begged him to let the Jews in, but an anti-semitic State department official persuaded him not to on the grounds that some of them couldbe spies.

German jews could come in if they could find an American family to sponser them. I'm very proud of the fact that my family, though not jewish, was one of the few that did so. We had a Jewish refugee from the camps living with us for awhile. During the day, she was a pretty teenager who taught me how to dance. but at night, her bedroom wasd over mine, and I could hear her screaming in her sleep.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2011, 12:22:16 PM »
Oh my, JoanK.  Some things you never forget.

Many years ago I was on a Laura Hobson kick and read several of her books, including The Trespassers, about the plight of German Jews trying to get to the US.  I bought a used copy again, a while back, but have yet to reread.

The Time Magainze issue about the 100 most influential arrived yesterday.  Included is Rebecca Eaton, the PBS exec who has been in charge of Masterpiece for 25 years.

Aberlaine

« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2011, 06:29:48 PM »
I watched the second episode of U/D this morning online.  Much, much better.  Plots are beginning to form.  I was sad to see the new maid die.  I think she would have made a great addition to the staff and an amazing counterpoint to the chauffeur and his fraulein.

MaryPage

« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2011, 06:56:53 AM »
I watched the third (and final) episode of this season of Upstairs/Downstairs last night and loved every minute of it.  I cannot remember any episode EVER having this many different dramatic moments all in less than one hour!

jeriron

« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2011, 07:45:11 AM »
I enjoyed it too.  I do hope it comes back. I wonder if it will be next season or how or when they plan on doing it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
MaryPage and Jeriron, I too enjoyed the last episode and agree that it was FULL of dramatic events. Only the monkey was missing (due to his not enjoying formal dinners, as Lady Maud Holland explains  ;))

I haven't seen news about when the series will be continued.

nlhome

« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
I enjoyed the last episode too. My husband watched all three with me, and he finally caught on to much of it last night. So we sat afterward and watched the program "Edward and Wallis" about that same time (and more, of course). It was a good program to follow up with - plus there were scenes from the wedding of Elizabeth and Prince Phillip to tie in with the current royal wedding.

Babi

« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:32 AM »
 I still haven't watched it!  It is recorded, but I've been waiting until Valerie could watch it with me.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2011, 10:39:19 AM »
nlhome, that must have been interesting to watch "Edward and Wallis." There were quite a few references to both, during the series.

Babi, I think you'll enjoy this season's last episode.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2011, 02:13:18 PM »
All I could think of was it was a  nice explanation for what we learned was the Kennedy families decision for one of their children - and to show it was successful we had the little German girl at the end talking - actually I enjoy Downton Abbey more than I did this - there were flashes that I liked and I like Lord Holland and Mr. Pritchard - but the housemaid Ivy drove me up the wall - and the whole scenario of the sister Persephone was silly to me - we have seen that scenario over and over - I guess, like her name she is going to Hades for the Winter but if this was her Spring and Summer - she provided us with a tangled swamp, no pretty flower garden or ash grove. 

I usually like Keeley Hawes and she certainly has fist hand experience with childbirth - her character became more likable after the baby is in her arms as well as during the birth of the baby - before I just did not like her character.

After having seen the King's Speech the character playing Bertie was not believable showing no stuttering.

MaryPage

« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
There was no Bertie (King George VI) in Upstairs/Downstairs.  Prince Albert was titled The Duke of York.  The man in this episode was his younger brother, Prince George, The Duke of Kent.  He that married the lovely Mariana.  Apparently he went to school with our young lord, and needed to vent his feelings re the abdication on him.  Logical.  Everything in GB is based on who you went to school with.  And/or they knew one another from mutual clubs, houseparties, and debutante balls.  Shooting matches, perhaps?  The Foreign Office?

Prince David, who abdicated having been King Edward VIII, was son number one.  Prince Albert, Duke of York, was son number two and he who stuttered and became King George VI.  Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester, was son number three.  The one who appeared in this episode of Upstairs/Downstairs was Prince George, the Duke of Kent, son number four.  He was terribly handsome in real life. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2011, 03:49:11 PM »
OK wait I am confused - who is the Duke of Kent - I thought this was the younger brother Albert visiting and being a chum who took on the Kingship after Edward abdicated. - was there three boys in that family? Edward, Albert and then whoever is the Duke of Kent - and who is Mariana

MaryPage

« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »
There were FIVE boys in that family, actually.  These four and Prince John, who drowned in a bathtub at about age 13.  He was epilectic and no one ever saw him.  There was a tragic story written about him oh, mebbe ten years ago.  Johnny, the family called him.

You can Google Image a photo of Four Sons of George V and get quite a handsome photo of all of them.  The one who was Prince David, the Prince of Wales, and then King Edward and then Prince Edward and then the Duke of Windsor, was the shortest and not good looking at all!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2011, 04:10:43 PM »
OK found them - I didn't realize there were 5 of them...I knew about the young John but did not realize there was also a George and a Henry. I wonder what ever happened to them.

MaryPage

« Reply #226 on: April 26, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
They made all sorts of appearances on behalf of the royal family and were great uncles to Queen Elizabeth II and now their sons are the dukes.  Their sons are, of course, the queens first cousins.

There is a MUCH better picture than that of the 4 grown brothers.  Try again for King George V's 4 sons.  I do not have the skill to post photos.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »
 OK here is the run down on Price Henry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Henry,_Duke_of_Gloucester  this is all new to me - I have not followed the royal family - only the ones on the throne and their children.

so it must be the other brother prince George who is the Duke of Kent - let me go find him. Whow let's just say he lived a full life...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_George,_Duke_of_Kent

Babi

« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2011, 08:17:28 AM »
 I did enjoy this latest episode.  It was satisfying to see our handsome young chauffeur turn
away from naziism, even if Persie did not.   I'm glad to have the young princes straightened
out; I also thought the Duke of Kent was going to be king when Edward left.  Wouldn't that
have been a major career boost for Hallam?  But in that sad phone call after Edward's farewell speech, there was absolutely no hint of Kent now being king, so I wondered.
  Such a relief that the baby was all right.  I was afraid it was another miscarriage.  But,
'Hector Greville'?  Poor child.

jeriron

« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »
I watched it again yesterday "on Demand". and enjoyed it just as much as the first time even more maybe because I paid more attention to the future King issue although I must say without MaryPage's help I would still be confused. That the brother wasn't stuttering made me wonder just who he was. Thanks MaryPage.
Looks to me like the sister will be in the next episodes.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2011, 10:40:49 AM »
Yes, I too appreciate the discussion about who the brother without the stutter was.

I was happy to see the baby born. Perhaps Lady Agnes was extremely anxious about being able to give birth and become a mother. That might explain her conflicted attitude toward the little girl. Hopefully, she would now be able to nurture both her son and the little girl. Of course, there might be no "motivation" other than the script writers needed to provide tension between the husband and wife. :-)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
This Sunday, Masterpiece Classic will broadcast the first of a three-part adaptation of South Riding by Winifred Holtby. I had not heard of the author. You can read about her at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winifred_Holtby

rosemarykaye

« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
Marcie - and everyone - it is really, really good!  It was shown here in March and we all loved it (but have the hankies ready).  It was dramatised before on TV, years ago, and I remember loving it then too.  This time there is the added bonus of gorgeous David Morrissey.  I hope you all enjoy it.  Winifred Holtby, who wrote the novel, was one of a generation of women who wanted more from life than marriage and babies.  I think she was a great friend of Vera Brittain, who wrote Testament of Youth (also brilliantly televised some years ago) and was the mother of our Lib Dem politician, Shirley Williams.

Rosemary

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
That's great news, Rosemary. I'm glad you are recommending South Riding.

MaryPage

« Reply #234 on: May 01, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »
I enjoyed the first episode of South Riding.  It was a joy to see the actress, who played the young heiress a few years ago in Bleak House.

salan

« Reply #235 on: May 02, 2011, 03:39:16 AM »
I really enjoyed South Riding.  Looking forward to next episode!
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: May 02, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
Mary Page and Salan, thanks for letting us know that you enjoyed the first episode. I'm going to watch it later today. I got caught up in the news about Bin Laden last evening.

nlhome

« Reply #237 on: May 02, 2011, 06:50:21 PM »
We're in a pledge period - no South Riding. But we also shut down computers and turned of the TV's and read last night so didn't hear the news until this morning.

CubFan

« Reply #238 on: May 02, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
We're in pledge period for this week also.  I checked next week's schedule and it looks like we have two hours of South Riding on Sunday night, back to back.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2011, 02:26:34 AM »
What is a pledge period please?

R