Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011  (Read 90784 times)

Babi

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic 2011
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »

Masterpiece Classic 2011 brings back favorite authors and introduces new authors and programs. See the complete 2011 MASTERPIECE CLASSIC schedule.

CONTEST NEWS!
MASTERPIECE sweepstakes gives fans a chance to go on location
.....................................................................................
What better way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of MASTERPIECE on PBS than by touring some of the stunning locations from the series? The MASTERPIECE 40th Anniversary Sweepstakes runs until Tuesday, April 26 and will send the grand prize winner and a guest on a four-day, three-night trip to the United Kingdom. The trip includes VIP tours of Highclere Castle (DOWNTON ABBEY), Greenway (home of Agatha Christie) and Blenheim Palace (THE LOST PRINCE), while enjoying accommodations with MacDonald Hotels & Resorts in the historic cities of Bath (PERSUASION) and Oxford (INSPECTOR LEWIS).  Learn more at http://www.pbs.org/masterpiecesweepstakes

NOW DISCUSSING

Upstairs Downstairs
April 10, 17 & 24, 2011 at 9pm

Three 60-minute episodes
Upstairs Downstairs is an updated version of one of the most-loved television series. Jean Marsh reprises her Emmy-winning role as Rose along with series co-creator Eileen Atkins (Cranford). Keeley Hawes, Ed Stoppard and Art Malik (The Jewel in the Crown) also star.

COMING

South Riding
May 1, 8 & 15, 2011 at 9pm

Three 60-minute episodes
Anna Maxwell Martin (Bleak House) and David Morrissey (Sense & Sensibility) lead the cast in Andrew Davies's (Bleak House, Little Dorrit) three-part adaptation of Winifred Holtby's moving love story.

ALREADY DISCUSSED

The 39 Steps
March 27, 2011 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Secret agent Richard Hannay battles German spies on the eve of World War I in a riveting and romantic new version of the thriller by John Buchan. Rupert-Penry Jones (Persuasion) stars as Hannay.  Learn more about this series at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/masterpiece/39steps/39steps.html.  Read some of Buchan's works online at http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/b#a285

Any Human Heart
February 13, 20 & 27, 9pm

Three 90-minute episodes)
William Boyd adapts his acclaimed 2002 novel about a man making his often precarious way through the 20th century. Matthew Macfadyen, Gillian Anderson, Hayley Atwell, Kim Cattrall and Jim Broadbent star. Watch online through March 22 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html.

The Unseen Alistair Cooke
February 6, 9pm

One 60-minute episode
Told in his own voice and home movies, The Unseen Alistair Cooke shows America as the beloved Masterpiece Theatre host Alistair Cooke saw it — the raw material for a lifetime of journalism. (Repeat) Watch online through 2/13 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/cooke.html

Downton Abbey
January 9, 16, 23 & 30, 9pm

(Four 90-minute episodes)
A stately country house, a noble family and a succession crisis are the backdrop for this epic drama by Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park) starring Hugh Bonneville, Maggie Smith, Elizabeth McGovern and others. Watch full episodes online through 2/22/11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

My Boy Jack
January 2, 9pm

One 120-minute episode)
Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) stars in a World War I drama about beloved storyteller Rudyard Kipling's only son, missing on the Western front in 1915. David Haig and Kim Cattrall co-star as the famous author and his American wife, Carrie. My Boy Jack offers an intimate portrait of a nation at war and one divided family. (Repeat)

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

We are getting deeper into character, as BARB said. I am actually finding
some things to like in Mary, but that 'challenge' competition with her
sister was extremely unkind. And it drove Edith to an action that's going
to hurt the entire family, not just Mary. Writing that letter is simply
inexcusable.
  Oh, definitely not the butler and the cook, GINNY. Not the same social
strata at all. He has responsibility and oversight of all the staff and is
discharging his duties most compassionately. I do like the butler.
  Anna did tell Bates she loved him, and he explained that he was not free
to speak as he might like. He also told her he considered her the finest
'lady' he had ever met.
Then the cart came along and offered a ride for one. Since Bates injury tended
to slow him down on these long walks, he was persuaded to use the ride.

The scene with the harem pants outfit was wonderful, wasn't it, CALLIE?  The expressions on
everyone's face!  And Maggie Smith has always been great in everything she did. Just seeing her
name listed in the cast of a film is enough to recommend it to me.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Aberlaine

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »
I like the possible pairings that are hinted at.  I sure hope Bates changes his mind about Anna.  They are both such good people.  I was so sorry to see that Mrs. Hughes refuses her beau of years ago to remain at Downton Abbey.  Maybe she and Mr. O'Brien will become a couple.  They are both so level headed.

I am liking Matthew more and more with each episode.  I think he will make a great Lord of Downton Abbey.  But I hate to see the daughters become second-class citizens because of it.  I'd love to see Mary soften and finally marry Matthew.  Then the inheritance will remain intact.

Frybabe

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2011, 03:24:24 PM »
I was sad, also, that Mrs. Hughes refused her suitor a second time. Her excuse of growing beyond a farm may be more or less true, but it sounded like an excuse to me. She has spent so many years at Downton that I suspect she is afraid of such an enormous change in her life at this point. What a surprise they will all get when WWI hits. It changes most everything. But I think, that is were the story ends, just before or just as WWI starts. I think Gwen with her typing skills will be in great demand when the war hits.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »
Without a child what will happen to Downton- because you just know that Matthew will be killed as most of the officers were so that even if he and Mary do marry I wonder if he leaves her with child - if not then that is truely the end of Downton regardless, it will be turned into a hopital or a barracks during the war if it stays in the family or not but it will never be the same... All those lives caring for and builiding it up and caring for each other in the process.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

CallieOK

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »
Am I the only one who sneaked a peek at the Synopsis of the episodes on the "Downton Abbey" web site?    :-[

However, none of them tell HOW the story gets to the events that happen - so I really don't know "everything" (and I'm not telling what I do know!!!)   ;)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »
aha - your post makes me think Mary turns out to be pregnant - ah that Turk... ;)
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2011, 08:43:04 PM »
I love everyone's posts. It seems that you are very engaged with these characters... the bad as well as the good! I am too. I'm looking forward to the next episode. It's the last one for this season  :(

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2011, 10:16:30 PM »
Barbara, I wondered about that. If Mary did become pregnant by the Turk, and the child is male, would he not be the right heir.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2011, 12:37:33 AM »
we will see what we will see - my  guess is she marries so that no one knows - but then that is so pat  and  usually these stories have a twist - it will be fun seeing tomorrow won't it...

Jonathan

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2011, 02:21:47 PM »
'If Mary did become pregnant by the Turk, and the child is male, would he not be the right heir.'

Wow! What a scenario! Downton Abbey has been all about change in attitudes and social revolution, but that would be hard to pull off. Trying to legitimize the issue of an illicit affair would be more difficult than trying to get out of a secured property entailment. I have Mary left holding a torch for the rest of her life. She could only ever love the husband who never was. But the house needs a lord. Mathew seems a could candidate. I'm counting on him to find a solution that will leave everybody happy.

Frybabe

« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2011, 12:00:33 AM »
Little bits of viciousness come back to bit them in the backside. What a turn. But there is hope, new episode in production.

I am looking forward to the Alistair Cooke bio next week.

Babi

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2011, 08:26:54 AM »
 I had begun to sympathize with Mary, but then she turned around returned Edith's malicious
action (re. the letter to the Turkish ambassador) by another equally vicious.  Did she not have
the good sense to realize that Edith married and away would be the ideal solution for both of
them? 
   I'm looking forward to the next production.  I do hope it won't take forever.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2011, 10:46:38 AM »
I haven't watched the last episode of the season yet. I'll do that today or tomorrow with my "on demand" cable. I too hope that the next series will be broadcast soon here in America. I read that season 2 will be filmed starting in March and will be shown in Great Britain in the Fall.

"On 12 October 2010 Laura Mackie, the ITV Director of Drama Commissioning, confirmed that the drama will return for a second series in 2011. In a statement, she said:

'We're delighted with the audience response to Downton Abbey and the positive critical reaction. We're extremely proud to have commissioned a series which has clearly captivated ITV1 viewers. Consequently, we're thrilled to be announcing the recommission of a new series for 2011 which will allow us to spend more time with the Crawley family and their servants.'

The second series will be composed of eight episodes. Filming begins in March 2011. The second series will air from Autumn 2011, and will be followed by a Christmas special later in the year.

Michelle Dockery, Dame Maggie Smith, Brendan Coyle, Rob James-Collier and Dan Stevens have all signed up for the second series."

nlhome

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2011, 11:20:32 AM »
So much happened in that last episode. I too am looking forward to the new series.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2011, 11:35:32 AM »
I felt like the last episode was a little rushed with too much happening and nothing covered as well as in the 3 previous episodes.  Did you catch the Lady's maid deliberately pushing that soap where Cora would slip, and Cora thinks she is so sweet.  I hope the truth comes out.

Jonathan

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2011, 12:02:15 PM »
Really? There's more to come of that melodramatic  nonsense. I can hardly wait. Sniping at each other. They were about to start killing each other. Thankfully, the declaration of WWI put an end to it. Only in England. On the other hand I will always wonder if Sybil does run off with the chauffeur. If poor Mary will continue to find comfort in the butler's arms. And if Lady Grantham does try again. If Thomas does get to go to Turkey. I only wonder that not one of them has thought of coming to America to make a fresh start.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
Yes the soap placed by the tub for her to slip on it was horrible - all because of her imagination when eavesdropping on a conversation - oh so sad.

Rushed  yes, but so many loose ends - I hate it - there is too much time before they are sewn together - now if the next group of shows were ready and being shown in March I could accept that - but I feel like I have been kicked down the road and now for awhile kicked into an empty field - I am annoyed -

Oh, I will probably watch next fall but without the same enthusiasm - right now I could care less if Mary ever marries - I am foreseeing Matthew coming back from the war not physically himself and Mary takes care of him - she has to be in charge to make up for being expected to do what everyone in the family says she should do.

And Bates will probably do the 'right' thing and never marry while his wife is alive - or if he does brake it will be the sign of the change in the collective ethics after WWI -  goodness only knows what will happen to the ugly sister.

The story shows us how a life is lived that is all about duty with very little room for feelings and if love happens it is purely by chance so all they have left is game playing which they are all pretty good at... This could have been one of my favorites because I like period pieces but the way they broke it up with so many loose ends not to be continued for nearly a year put a big downer on my response - I am in the shrug of the shoulder mood about this show and if I miss it in the fall so what....

nlhome

« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2011, 02:03:01 PM »
I guess I thought of it differently - it's like reading a novel and wondering what happens to the characters after the book ends - The War started, things will change, and those loose ends are actually just life moving on. If there were no announced continuation, would you feel differently about the ending? I suspect if there were to be no followup, then some plot lines may have been changed. But, I could still see Mr Bates leaving things up in the air as is, Thomas moving on never to be seen again, Mary being always unhappy, the middle sister being unloveable, Sybil becoming a modern woman, and I just wouldn't be a part of it.

I am looking forward to the new series, to see if any of the things I thought would/should happen do.

Frybabe

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »
Marcie, thanks for the quote. It sounds a though they didn't originally plan for a second season which may be why some felt the last episode felt a little rushed. I see that Rob James-Collier has signed on for future episodes, so we are not rid of the nasty Thomas, at least for some of the episodes. I sincerely hope that if WWI doesn't kill him off that he comes back very much humbled. I hope most of the cast are able to re-sign.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:44 PM »
I am enjoying everyone's thoughts and our little controversy here about the season's "ending." I too wish that the next season isn't such a long time away. I watched the episode and agree that it was packed. I think that O'Brien is sorry about the soap. She was just on her way to correct her action when her mistress got out of the tub and slipped. She might change her ways now that her cohort Thomas won't be around the house. I don't see Thomas changing his ways but we'll see. I don't think he realizes how much danger he will be in during the War.

Mary's not accepting Matthew's proposal because of her aunt's prompting didn't quite make sense to me. I'm not sure I understood the rationale. That action reminds me of Persuasion a bit, where Anne is talked out of marry Wentworth by her mother's friend.

Frybabe

« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2011, 12:34:26 AM »
Marcie, Mary is suffering from too much advice and pressure, real or imagined, from both "sides". It has confused her a little, made her second guess herself and everyone's motives including her own. Therefore, she hesitates. Too much input at once - instant brain freeze. It's kind of like when too many people try to use a website that can't handle the load. What happens? Everything grinds to a halt.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2011, 01:35:52 AM »
Thanks, Frybabe. That could well be what's happening. Now her mother has had a miscarriage of the potential male heir and Matthew is leaving. At the end of the episode, Mary seems to be feeling that she's not only messed up her life but her family's as well.

LOL, Jonathan about Mary's finding comfort in the butler's arms. You've given a good melodramatic summary of the episodes!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2011, 06:43:10 AM »
I actually liked the last episode for some reason, I think it was the below stairs coming to a bit more life in this one, the two cooks, cooperating. The below stairs seemed to me to take on more personality or something. The second cook, the take command cook on loan seemed to me (what do I know?) more authentic. To me the first cook is playing the "Mrs. Bridges" card too strongly.

I was somewhat surprised at the reaction to the announcement that they were at war. It seemed to me that on Upstairs Downstairs (I haven't seen it since it came on tho I do have the tapes, they've just had a 20th anniversary edition out) but it seemed to me that there was cheering, and lots of interest. Of course that would not be our reaction now.  I remember James particularly, the son. There was silence and averting the eyes in this one,  my memory may be faulty.  When Marcie said  I don't think he realizes how much danger he will be in during the War. None of them did, marching off gaily in the War to End all Wars, such an awful thing, WWI. You don't hear a lot about it now, what a horror it was.

I thought Bates' mother's appearance  was too pat for the plot. The show still reminds me of Gosford Park, until this last chapter which seemed to move a bit towards Upstairs Downstairs...more intimate I guess. The woman who played Rose in the old Upstairs, Downstairs was one of the writers in the old U/D. Her mother had been in service. To me her Downstairs seemed more realistic than this one, this one has stock characters, pretty much. Of course Maggie Smith is a treasure. As for Lady Mary, she still continues homely, to me. Maybe it's a case of pretty is as pretty does, she rarely smiles and without a dower she'll be lucky to catch the chauffeur (whom I predict she ends up with)  with her scowl and  attitude. I feel sorry for truly homely Edith, where do they find these actresses. Yes she did a spiteful hateful thing, what spiteful girls the two oldest are, but she was lucky in finding a suitor, her only way out actually, unless the war gives her a new life,,  until....

The old Brideshead started out like this too, and expanded into the long thing it became, so maybe they can alter this as it goes.  Anyway, it will be fun to watch. This is one, however, that for some reason I'm not going to rewatch on Netflix.

And of course a NEW version of Upstairs Downstairs debuts this spring. Sometimes when they remake an old classic (Brideshead Revisited) they wish they hadn't. What a mess that remake was, totally not the book. I think I'll rewatch the old U/D  just to be a bit more up on what actually happened versus memory.

Babi

« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2011, 09:10:02 AM »

O'Brien had a change of heart and started back to be sure Cora
didn't slip on the soap, but it was too late. She was already
regretting her action terribly. Then the news that she had been
mistaken all along about the plans to get rid of her...well, she
was stunned. Her remorse is already making a deep change in her.
I don't know how she will live with the damage she has done.

"That action reminds me of Persuasion a bit, where Anne is talked out of marry Wentworth by her mother's friend."

Me, too, MARCIE. I can only suppose that Mary felt her aunt's
advice was more 'up-to-date' than her conservative grandmother's.
Mary doesn't know her own mind where Matthew is concerned, and she
can't seem to break the vicious pattern she follows in re. her
sister Edith. Some major changes would have to take place before
I could wish her on Matthew.

I don't expect we'll see more of Bates' mother, GINNY, but my
reaction to her is that her son is very much like her. She seemed
to 'match' him very well.

Frybabe

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
I was trying to find more information on the second season upcoming, but there is very little to be had. Wikipedia has a note that Angela Lansbury will be in one episode, but there is no reference listed to check out. Also, there is going to be a Christmas Special. It comes after the second season showing, so I don't guess we will see that in the US this coming Christmas. It all depends on how long it takes them to release the second season to show here.

CallieOK

« Reply #105 on: February 01, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
Frybabe,  here's a link that I hope will bring up an on-line interview yesterday with Hugh Bonneville ( "Lord Grantham") in which he answered questions sent in by viewers.  I chose to read the transcript.  He mentions a little bit about the second season.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/downtonabbey/chat.html

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #106 on: February 01, 2011, 05:13:18 PM »
Lovely thanks Callie

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: February 01, 2011, 06:54:10 PM »
Callie, that is such a good article, I love how you can choose to read bits of it (and end up reading it all). Thank you for bringing it here, I loved the "wanky" quail in the dining room. hahahaa

Ella and I saw them filming Vanity Fair at Hampton Court the day we visited. i got lots of great photos of it but it does appear to be work, for the actors,  and everybody involved, over and over and over again, and the wanky quail points to that beautifully.

EvelynMC

« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2011, 03:12:15 PM »
I thought episode 4 would wrap things up.  And then when more twists and turns kept happening, I realized there was going to be another season.  

I was really amazed that Edith and Mary were so spiteful to each other.  At their age they should have been best friends, not hateful competitors.  And O'Brien and the bar of soap episode resulting in Lady Cora's miscarriage. There's a lot of just plain petty meanness in that household.

It will be interesting to see what WWI brings.  One thing, they'll all have something to do with their time and perhaps they will see how the real world lives.

I wonder which girl will become an ambulance driver.

I hope Matthew comes back alive.  So many of them didn't.

Evelyn

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
A Poirot re-run was showing on my PBS channel last evening instead of Alistair Cooke. But I found you can watch online through 2/13 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/cooke.html. I'll watch it today or tomorrow.

Frybabe

« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
Yes, I am going to have to do that. I fell asleep and didn't wake back up until more than half was over. I re-watched the last episode of Downton Abbey on Sat. night.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2011, 09:49:57 AM »
I'm looking forward to the Downton Abby series.

Babi

« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2011, 10:00:57 AM »
 I started with "A Human Heart" last night, but didn't finish it. It didn't
hold my interest, and I really didn't care about the characters.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2011, 11:05:13 AM »
Babi, I too found it difficult to get into "Any Human Heart." I started to watch it but stopped and switched over to the BAFTA ceremony, equivalent to the Academy Awards.

Maybe I'll try again to view it online.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2011, 11:18:03 AM »
Since I like Macfadyen I watched - seems to be as if a travelogue of the twentieth century - not only the famous and literary characters of the century but also the way we were - the way men related to children - the rich related to the poor - the English respected or not anyone not from England - evidently this was a best selling book - it is filmed well as all the shows on Masterpiece and I am wanting to see what happens next for him to get to be the old man who lives alone in a run down mas telling the story.

EvelynMC

« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
I watched "Any Human Heart" last night and enjoyed it.  I agree it was interesting to see "the way we were".  Jim Broadbent is sure playing a messy old man to the hilt, isn't he. I'm looking forward to the next episodes to see where this goes.

Evelyn

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2011, 01:47:24 AM »
Thanks, Barbara and Evelyn, for the encouragement. I'm glad you enjoyed the episode. I'll give it another try.

salan

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2011, 04:13:02 AM »
I tried to watch, but it didn't hold my interest.  I DVR'd it, so maybe I'll give it a try later.  It seemed rather jumbled and I didn't care for the subject matter.  Sally

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2011, 01:10:20 PM »
I think I'm watching too many British period pieces at once   -- Downton Abbey, Any Human Heart, and from Netflix, Dance to the Music of Time.  Don't ask, who's in what.  ???   But I am enjoying all.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2011, 03:57:24 PM »
Pedln - A Dance to the Music of Time has a cast of thousands, so it's virtually impossible to keep track.  However, there is a wonderful book by Hilary Spurling, "Invitation to the Dance", which is a guide to all of the characters and where they crop up (as some of them tend to reappear years after you have forgotten about them).  I have just had a look on Amazon and you can't get it on Kindle, but in paperback (at least in the UK) it's not too expensive.  I splashed out on it some time ago when I was reading the books, and it was worth every penny.

Has Miranda Richardson appeared yet?  She is wonderful in this, overshadowed only by Simon Russell Beale, who is just completely marvellous in anything he does, this especially.

I think I will watch it all again, just talking about it makes me happy!

Rosemary