Author Topic: Authors Corner - a place for authors to let us know about recent endeavors  (Read 31711 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA

Are you writing or have you just published a book? Or have you just written a meaningful or humorous article for a publication?

We would like to hear about your experience with writing and publishing.

We love all genres--fiction, non-fiction, science, poems, essays.

We'd love to hear about your journey of getting your work published.

Did you get to market through one of the big publishing houses? Did you self-publish?

Please feel free to tell us about your works and how you came to this world of books.

Questions? Contact: Ann

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Authors Corner - a place for authors to let us know about recent endeavors
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:47:50 AM »
Welcome authors!  Please join us!
Are you a writer? Have you recently been published? We would love to hear about your endeavors in the field of writing and have opened this new site just for you to post about your experiences.  
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
I received this from Mary Alice Monroe today.  She was the author who visited us on the Isle of Palms in 2005 and introduced us to the rescued turtles in Charleston Aquarium.  We have enjoyed reading many of her books.

Dear Reader,

It's been two years since I've been on book tour to celebrate the release of a new novel. I'm eagerly awaiting the big moment!

The Butterfly's Daughter goes on sale May 3, at which time I hit the road for a five-week adventure that will lead me to big cities and charming small towns-- Chicago and Sumter, SC. Dallas and Monroe, NC. Kansas City and Amelia Island, Fl. Those are just some of the places I'll be visiting for luncheons, breakfasts, and "butterfly teas" that are planned for book tour. Please check my website to see the complete list of book tour events. Meeting with readers is the joy of every book tour for me. I've had some of the most delightful conversations and made lifelong friendships. So, please come out to an event to say hello and support your local bookseller. We will have a great time!

This upcoming book tour is also a personal mission as well. The phenomenal migratory monarch butterfly is the backdrop of The Butterfly's Daughter. But winter storms in 2009 devastated the monarch population. To help bring back the monarch, I am handing out 10,000 milkweed seeds. It's the only food source for monarch caterpillars. By simply planting it in your yard, you will help make a difference. I'll have seed packets with simple planting instructions for all my readers at the book tour events. I can also mail you a free seed packet. Just send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to 7 2nd Avenue, Isle of Palms, SC 29451.

Here's another fun freebie to tell you about. I'm giving away an autographed copy of The Butterfly's Daughter to one lucky winner, every week during the month of May on my website www.maryalicemonroe.com. Click on the "News" tab for details. I'm also doing a book giveaway on my Facebook fan page.

While I'm on book tour, I will continue posting weekly blogs with photos. You'll be able to follow this and stay up-to-date on events and all details related to my novels on Facebook and Twitter.

I look forward to hearing from you and talking books and butterflies!

"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Here's a brief note of thanks from Mary Alice Monroe.

"Dear Ann,
Thank you for your letter.  How nice of you to announce the book on Authors Corner.  I'm grateful!  If anyone is interested in butterflies or books or wants seeds, please have them visit my website!
Best,
Mary Alice

http://www.maryalicemonroe.com/

nlhome

What an interesting site Ms. Monroe has. Thank you.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
You are welcome, nlhome.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
From our old friend, Bruce Feiler:

Dear Friends,
 I am pleased to announce the publication of my new book -- GENERATION FREEDOM -- about the Middle East uprisings and what they mean for peace, coexistence, and relations with the West.  Ten years after WALKING THE BIBLE and ABRAHAM, I was drawn back to the region to walk in the footsteps of the revolution, meet its leaders, and explore how these changes will affect the issues of faith I care so deeply about.  I hope you enjoy it.

You can see me on "Good Morning America" (Mon 6/27), CNN's "AC360" (Tues 6/28), CNN's Fareed Zakaria (Sun 7/3), and many other places in coming weeks.

In GENERATON FREEDOM: The Middle East Uprisings and the Remaking of the Modern World, Bruce Feiler returns with a fascinating exploration of the historic changes transforming the region.  At a time when the world is asking how the Arab Spring and the death of Osama bin Laden will reshape our times, best-selling author Bruce Feiler offers a vivid behind-the-scenes portrait of history in the making. He marches with the daring young organizers in Liberation Square, confronts the head of the Muslim Brotherhood, and witnesses the dramatic rebuilding of recently burned church at exactly the moment sectarian violence threatens the peaceful movement. Eloquent and thoughtul, GENERATION FREEDOM offers a hopeful vision of how this unrivaled upheval will transform the world.

Some other quick headlines. THE COUNCIL OF DADS has just been released in paperback.  Follow my regular updates on Facebook and Twitter.  And I am well.

I hope you are too,

Bruce

P.S. I have many new features on brucefeiler.com, including videos and a way to email me.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
A request from Maryann McFadden which we answered with an emphatic "YES":

Hello Ann,
How are you? I am doing pretty well after a hectic, challenging year.
I wondered if I could ask a favor. I realized I should be putting myself out there marketing myself as a speaker. Everything I get comes to me through word of mouth. So I am changing my website to include this. Would I be able to get a testimonial from you and your group? I would love to post it on my website. Let me know if this is ok, and if not, don't think twice!
All my best,
Maryann

Maryann joined us in NYC at our "Authors Tea".  She is a delightful speaker and she gave us the lowdown on writing books plus self publishing.  We truly enjoyed hearing her ideas of writing on what you know.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Here is an email that I received last week and forgot to place it here.

"To you who have read and commented on "WHILE",

This is the first anniversary of publication.Would you please rate and write your comments on Amazon or B&N and spread the word about WHILE?
Amazon.com: while born during wwii: Books , or while born during wwii - Barnes & Noble .

I would appreciate your letting others hear about the book."

The author is a friend of mine here in Ohio and she put this book together with the lady from Germany.  In the book, they compare their growing up years during WWII. My friend who grew in Pennsylvania and her friend who grew up in WWII Germany.  I have not read it yet. It does't appeal to me since I know both ladies.  By the way, it was accepted for publishing at a decent company.  My friend write childrens books that are quite good but she always self publishes/
[/b] 

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Here is the latest news of one of our authors, Bruce Feiler who wrote "Abraham, America's Prophet, Walking the Bible.

"Dear Friends,

It's been a while, so I'm happy to be sending out a brief update.  First, attached is my latest monthly New York Times column, "The Art of the Wedding Toast." Also, I am just completing a draft of my latest book, The Secrets of Happy Families, which will be published in February.  And I am scheduled to start shooting a new series for PBS this fall.  

I also had a piece on rethinking the family dinner on the cover of Parade this weekend. Here's a link.

Otherwise, I hope you are well.  I am pleased to be reaching my fourth year since being diagnosed with cancer with no signs of cancer in my body.

Warm Wishes for the Summer,
Bruce  

For more regular updates, follow me on Twitter or Facebook. You can unsubscribe from future mailings at the bottom of this e-mail."

Barbarossa

Hi everyone,
I thank you Jane for introducing me this site,.
I came here because l am looking for people who are interested in learning Latin language.
I hope noone will be frightened (or more frightened than me) if l disclose that my mother language is not English...?
In spite of this fact l LOVE writing in english, and l already had made my first book with a friend together.
It is an anthology of my friend and my poems and short novels, and of my photos belongs to the topics.
We tried everything to make it correctly but it still has some mistakes because we are not good at .pdf converting.
I am sorry I digressed a bit from the introduction. :)

barbarossa.

DISFrontman

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 08:08:09 AM »
Hello SeniorLearn Community!

This is Bart Boge writing, author of Regarding Tiberius, a novel set in Asia Minor, Egypt, Syria and Judaea circa the 1st Century BC/AD.  A Google search identified some commentary on this forum regarding my novel, so I thought I'd pop in, read through a few comments, and offer a blurb or two that might add an "inside" view of the story.

For anyone curious, I do have a few videos on YouTube that pertain to my work.  I will NOT be mistaken for a celebrity or a "rock star," but here is the channel nonetheless:

Here's a direct link to a book signing event where I discussed the book and its origins in detail:

I don't want to make this an ad for RT, so I won't post an Amazon link to it.  I'm sure any of you who are interested will know how to find it! :)

Yours,
Bart

bellamarie

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
Bart, thank you for the lnks.  I was checking them out late last night and drifted off to sleep listening to the second part, what sources you drew from for your music/play/novella.  I will revisit to finish the others into the new year.  It's wonderful that you found our book club by happen chance.  Please feel free to stick around and even join in our future discussions.  I am looking forward to reading your book.

I am a novice writer who has had a couple of poems published, and am going to submit my children's book for publishing this year.  It has sat finished for a few years, fright of refusal has kept me from submitting sooner.  As you stated, authors or anyone who creates, looks for approval and positive feedback, and I might add, that we also dread rejection or negative reactions to our hard labored personal works.  I have begun a novel which I suspect will take a long time to complete, but in the meantime I began a blog where I write short little bits to share with friends and family.  Now that I am retired I will have much more time to devote to my goal of having a book published.  You, as all writers are an inspiration to me. 

Regards~ Marie
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden