Author Topic: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help  (Read 202206 times)

Frybabe

Re: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help
« Reply #880 on: October 07, 2013, 03:30:15 PM »

Welcome to The Technophobe Reader

Confused about Iphones, Ipods, Ipads, Itouch, Androids, or anything else electronic? Don't know what a "text" message is? Don't have a Nook or a Kindle and don't know the benefits of an e reader?   Feel left out of the rush of the new technology and wonder  what all the shouting is about?

Have a new Iphone,  Ipod, Ipad, Nook, Kindle,  or I headache or are considering same?

Ask your question here! Other sufferers may be able to direct you to a source for help or help with their own experience.

This discussion has no "expert" moderator, we  offer here no professional advice but we may be able to answer out of our own experiences, so ask or comment  away!

Ginny, there are several good free antivirus programs out there, but I think Avast and AVG get some of the highest ratings still. Go to CNet.com and you can find all kinds of programs with their ratings as well as ratings from users.

This link will get you to the download section of CNet. http://download.cnet.com/windows/

I see they have added Android and iOS programs as well as Windows and Mac.  As you can see, the top two programs are the ones I just listed. Also listed is CCleaner which is a super utility program for cleaning up temp files, etc. and fixing registry problems.

I do not know how well any of these programs will work with the older XP OS any more.

LarryHanna

« Reply #881 on: October 08, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »
Ginny, there are two different free anti-virus programs that I have and currently use.  They are AVG and AVAST.  Microsoft also has Microsoft Security Essentials that I found worked well for a long time. 
LarryBIG BOX

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #882 on: October 08, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
Thank you both! One of the laptops  has AVG on it but since they are both dead in the water and I can't charge them till I get the replacement cord, I don't know which it is and couldn't recall the name. Since I will only be using these for in class stuff I couldn't see paying for an anti virus for that little bit of use, so thank you both VERY  much.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #883 on: October 10, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »
Ginny, the folks from Velocity Repair put Microsoft Security Essentials on my XP desktop and it seems to be working.  I'm glad to hear Larry say it worked well for him.  Doesn't work with Windows 8.

I feel like such a dunce with my new cell phone (Android) and am going to have to make another trip back to the nice young man at the ATT store, even after studying the Dummies book and Samsung's online manual.

My keyboard shrunk and now it sits on top of Enter Message Here, so it's too small for my fingers and I can't see the message I'm typing because it's covered by the keyboard.  I've tried working the volume buttons, but that doesn't seem to help.  Oh wow is me.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #884 on: October 10, 2013, 11:08:34 AM »
On my Win 8, it's now called Windows Defender, apparently, because a search for Microsoft Essentials brings up nothing.  My "Action Center," however, has Windows Defender listed as the Security thingy.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #885 on: October 26, 2013, 07:02:53 PM »
Oh boy. This is a first for me.   My new cell phone. I'm glad I don't have to post on this keyboard all the time, even tho it thinks for me and comes up with the right word to swipe cr. I

LarryHanna

« Reply #886 on: October 27, 2013, 09:04:54 AM »
Pedin, just. A suggestion that might help you type on your phone.  If it is a smart phone with on on screen keyboard be sure  and rotate it horizontally.  It should show the keys as a little larger.  I also find using a stylus helps me hit the right key as my finger will sometimes shake a little and hit the wrong key. The stylus are very inexpensive on eBay or in the stores for a much higher price.
LarryBIG BOX

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #887 on: October 27, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »
Larry, thanks for that tip.  I will try that. It makes sense because I find I like reading email and news on the horizontal position.  What amazes me is how fast some people can text.  My DIL -- you blink and there she's already typed a message.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #888 on: October 27, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »
You can get a stylus at Walmart for less than $15.00.  Love mine!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #889 on: October 27, 2013, 02:47:59 PM »
I got mine in an everything $5 store. I didn't know that store existed until George pointed it out to me. I don't know how widespread they are, nor do I remember the precise name. They had a lot of electronic gadgets and accessories.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #890 on: November 23, 2013, 09:11:59 AM »
It's dumb question time again. Buying a smartphone and a tablet around the same time probably isn't to smart, especially if one is an Android (phone) and one iOS7 (iPad Air). So, am trying to learn the ins and outs of both -- the pinching, the patting, the swiping, etc.

The iPad Air is ATT cellular.  Dumb Question -- should have asked in the store, but didn't think of it --

What do I do if I don't want to use cellular when wi-fi isn't available?  If I just want to play a silly game, write an outstanding masterpiece, or just read a Kindle book retrieved from iCloud?

Can I prevent it from hopping over to LTE or 4G when I go sit in the park?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #891 on: November 23, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
I don't think that's a dumb question at all, and I wish I could answer it. I've got one of those neato que books called My Ipad Mini,  great book, one of those with all the colorful  slick shiny pages, too bad I can't seem to find the time to read it.

I thought you could turn off the Wifi? Is your cellular plan limited as to data? Can you  look under settings and see if you can turn them both off if not needed?

I have heard of the AIR, I'm anxious to hear how you like it.

Am personally obsessed with Jeopardy for the Ipad and Iphone, it's SO much fun. :)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #892 on: November 23, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »
OK the book says that you can turn off the cellular data in Settings to specifically prevent it from using your 3G or 4G connections. Mine reverts to the 3 G I think it is on the ipad, not sure, when it can't find WiFi, which is all the time. :)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #893 on: November 23, 2013, 10:03:29 PM »
Thanks for the info, Ginny, and I found an iPad manual that said the same thing.  My plan is set for two Gigabytes shared data between phone and iPad.  I don't want to be doing something that doesn't need wi-fi and have all my data used up for nothing.  Or is it only used when you send and receive?

Ginny, you shouldn't have told me about Jeopardy.  That sounds like something really fun  -- and addictive.

My six-year-old granddaughter has been calling me from California before heading off to school, asking questions for a first grade project about what I did as a kid, and what things I didn't have that she has.  What a list that will be.

"How did you listen to your music?"

"Did you ride a bike?"  "Wear a helmut?"

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #894 on: November 24, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
That's another good question. I share data with my grandson, it's two ipads and MINE for some reason ran amok one month and I called and said there's no way I could have done that and she said something about pushing the little circular button twice and see what happens and behold a lot of things appeared on the bottom of the screen and she said that's what is eating up your hours, but I haven't changed my habits at all and that situation has not continued so I am not sure what was going on. I know a lot of the apps want to up date. I don't let anybody send me push notifications, but some of these games do anyway, so I am not sure WHAT is going on.

(I tend to get something, enjoy it for what I need, and be unaware of any other capabilities.) I have too many games on it.

Absolutely love Jeopardy, it's got the music and everything. In fact I've played it SO many times I've had to get a new pack or two of new questions.  The Jeopardy for the phone is different in several ways from the one for the ipad. I like the Ipad better, but they both are good.  Multiple choice!!

You can also play it ON the Jeopardy website, every day they put up questions from that day. I'm an absolute whiz on the Ipad  and Iphone ones but I don't think, should they be monitoring the website game playing,  that they are going to be inviting me any time soon!  hahahhaa It's AMAZING how many things pertain to Laitn tho. :)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #895 on: November 24, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
Oh dear, little circular button?   I think I'm a tech wimp, scared of touching and trying for fear I'll be frozen (as I was the other day) or get a bunch of error messages.  So I'm being cautious until I see the DC family later this week and can pester them with questions and let them fix everything I get out of whack.  I'm sure AT&T must groan when they see me walk in the store, I've been there so many times.

The one thing that has been really nice is that I can get captions from Hamilton Relay on my cell phone.  Of course I can't see them when the phone is by my ear, so need to get set up with bluetooth or something similar.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #896 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
I thought you could turn off the Wifi? Is your cellular plan limited as to data? Can you  look under settings and see if you can turn them both off if not needed?

Ginny, I think my data 2G plan is just for cellular usage, and the wi-fi use is not billed or charged. I don't think there is any reason I would want to turn off the wi-fi.

LarryHanna

« Reply #897 on: November 24, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
pedlin, I have a 300 megs of cellular available in my plan from AT&T and I leave it on all the time unless I see I am getting close to the limit and when that happens I get a text message telling me so.  I am not out where I use cellular too much and try not to use it to do much downloading.  However, with 2 gigs of data limit I would doubt you would ever have a problem.  You can set the cellular setting so it won't do updates of the apps unless you are on wi-fi. 
LarryBIG BOX

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #898 on: November 24, 2013, 07:02:31 PM »
Larry, thanks for that info. I am really clueless as to how many megs and gigs one uses.  That's good to know that you get warned when you're close to your limit.  The salesperson at the ATT store said he thought I'd only need one gig, but worry-wort chicken me held out for two.

Do you stream films on yours?  I'm thinking of joining Amazon Prime after the first of the year (should have done it a long time ago) and that program offers free films.  My wireless speed is the lowest of the low -- 3 mbps, but everyone tells me that Netflix and Amazon adjust the films to your speed.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #899 on: December 02, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »
ALERT!!

"Microsoft" is not calling to "fix" your computer. This old scam is making the rounds again and the people doing it are very aggressive. Stand in their way and watch, they will almost curse you.

They say your computer is giving off problem signals, they want YOU to give them YOUR access codes and personal information so they can get inside your computer. Do not talk to them, tell them where to go.

More on it from the Better Business Bureau:

Better Business Bureau says don't talk to them:

http://www.bbb.org/blog/2012/01/scam-alert-microsoft-is-not-calling-to-fix-your-computer/

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #900 on: December 02, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »
Yeah...and one of Ray's old cronies said he got a message that "they" would help him sign up for Medicare/health stuff.  Uh...I don't think so. He's in his 80s and been on Medicare for some time now.  He said he just got rid of the message quick.  It's sad people fall for these things.  I think our people here are too savy, but I have friends who aren't very computer literate...still don't know how to do a google seach...seem to use the laptop ONLY to forward on hoaxes and other "stuff" we've seen a million times.

SIGH!

salan

« Reply #901 on: January 07, 2014, 04:18:41 AM »
No one has posted on this site for a while.  I got a Kindle Fire from my daughter.  All the books on my old Kindle have been transferred & I have ordered some new ones & some games.  Not sure what all I can do with this Kindle.  Is is like an IPad?  Can someone recommend some fun games?  I think I will really enjoy it.
Sally

Frybabe

« Reply #902 on: January 07, 2014, 07:32:49 AM »
Hi Sally,

I am very fond of Cubistry. Two good word games I have are Jumbline 2 and Cryptogram Puzzles. One game I liked but blew off because it really drained my battery fast, Buttons and Sissors(Pro). I check the apps site every day to see what they are offering freebie. I rarely buy any of them. A super program (not a game), if you like Astronomy, is Distant Suns. I had that program on my Amiga way, way back when. It is excellent and worth paying for. I've been waiting for the Pop Cap people to make an app for BookWorm that is compatible with the Fire, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

You can go out to the web with your Silk Browser. If you have favorite websites, bookmark them. Check to see if the app store has apps (like many entertainment and news channels) which make it even easier to get to where you want to be. There are some search engine apps; I use Duck Duck Go Go . And no, I have no idea why they call themselves that.

I use a cleaner program to clean up temp files and such, but once in a while I go into the "More" menu click on Silk Browser and do a clean up from that submenu. It helps to free up space and can speed things up a little. If you don't have a anti-virus program on your Kindle, I recommend getting one.

If you want an app that isn't in the Kindle app store, it can be done, but it can be a tricky procedure to get Kindle to recognize it and not cause problems.

I hope this info is helpful to you.

Margie

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #903 on: February 08, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
I am sad to report, as some of you may have already learned, that Stacey, daughter of our LarryHanna and his wife Pat, has passed away after lingering illnesses.

Larry and Pat....we all hold you close to our hearts during this difficult time. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #904 on: February 08, 2014, 11:22:47 AM »
Oh dear, I am so sorry. So sorry.  It's been a long road and she's been so ill for so long.

To lose a child at any age is devastating.   Larry and Pat, I am so sorry for your great loss.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #905 on: February 08, 2014, 12:18:30 PM »
I also would like to offer my condolences to you Larry and Pat.  I am so very sorry for your loss, and am thinking about you a lot at this terrible time.  I know that so many people on this site and on Seniors and Friends will be keeping you both in their thoughts and prayers.

Rosemary

LarryHanna

« Reply #906 on: February 09, 2014, 10:19:11 AM »
Thank you all for your prayers and kind thoughts.  Jane, thank you for making that posting. 
LarryBIG BOX

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #907 on: February 09, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
Larry...Joan Ginny, and I thought you would appreciate the thoughts and prayers of your friends here during this difficult time for you and Pat.

Jane

LarryHanna

« Reply #908 on: February 10, 2014, 07:38:41 AM »
Jane, you are right we do appreciate knowing that others care.  Thanks.
LarryBIG BOX

Frybabe

« Reply #909 on: March 13, 2014, 07:11:57 AM »
This is strange, the reply button in the Blue Highways discussion group is missing. Anyone else with that problem? Seems to only affect that discussion.

UPDATE: Got my reply button back after about 10 minutes.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #910 on: March 13, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »

There's several things that could cause that, I'm glad that you got it back. If it ever happens again, check in the upper left corner of your screen and be sure it's recognizing you by name.

If you see your name and you still can't see a post button somebody has inadvertently done something to the discussion.  Any time something like that happens write the webmaster so we can be aware of it in your situation. :)

rosemarykaye

« Reply #911 on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:48 AM »
Great excitement - I've just treated myself to a Lenovo Yoga 2 (11.6") and so far I love it.  It's one of those laptop/tablet things that you can use as a laptop or swivel round to make a notebook.  I got it on the basis that Madeleine could have my ASUS laptop, which I didn't like too much, as her own had packed up.  Needless to say, the Lenovo then disappeared into her bedroom all yesterday evening - 'just setting it up for you' - which she did, but I think a few games may have been played too....never mind, it's the price I pay for technical assistance!

Rosemary

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #912 on: March 18, 2014, 01:54:23 PM »
Oh how exciting! I don't know anything about those, you're the first I know to have one. You'll have to be our expert on those here, and keep us posted, it sounds wonderful!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #913 on: March 19, 2014, 10:43:23 AM »
Yes, it's nice to have experts around and I'm glad to see them here.  I'm lost and need help badly.

Windows XP will not have support after April 8.  My Dell has just served me so well for nine years and I'm really not ready to give it up, but not sure yet if it will support Windows 8.1  If it was just installing 8.1 it would be okay, but don't know if the keyboard, mouse, dvd drive will need lots of tweeking.  I don't want to end up with a patch system for a computer almost 10 years old.

One daughter suggests a Chromebook, but that's a different operating system.  Not sure I want that, and don't know about the Apple system either.

Would my Quicken (2209--I would update) work with another operating system, Jane?

Another daughter says that no one buys desktops anymore, but I need my big monitor.  Would like one even bigger.  I know people use big monitors with laptops.  Do they just plug in with a USB?

I used to be on the cutting edge, but no longer.

LarryHanna

« Reply #914 on: March 19, 2014, 03:55:10 PM »
pedln, if your computer is 10 years old I wouldn't try to put Windows 8.1 on it.  I don't think you would have any problem with the keyboard, mouse or DVD drive as long as it is USB.  You would likely get a new keyboard and mouse with any desktop you would buy.  You would notice significant differences in the 10 year old computer to those of today in terms of speed.  Just my opinion. 
LarryBIG BOX

rosemarykaye

« Reply #915 on: March 19, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
Ginny - so far this little Lenovo is excellent - seems very sturdy compared to the rather wobbly Asus, and does everything I have wanted to do.  I love how portable it is, and Madeleine loves the touchscreen on the tablet side.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #916 on: March 19, 2014, 06:03:35 PM »
Pedln...I agree with Larry. 10 yrs is ancient...and I doubt it would handle Win8 well.

To the best of my knowledge, Quicken works ONLY with Windows machines.  There is a Quicken app for the IPAD and it gets horrendous reviews.  I won't even load it on my IPAD. [ I wait, when we're in Texas, until we're home to update my Quicken 2010.] 

[When I got my new laptop with Win 8, the local guy from whom I bought it, also put on something called Classic Startup that makes it open like Windows 7 that I had on my Dell that went belly up after 18 months.  The motherboard went out.]

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #917 on: March 19, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »
Thanks Larry and Jane.  I appreciate the good advice I'm getting here. Definitely will NOT attempt to update the operating system on my current ancient desktop computer.  My laptop is 5 years -- Vista, and HP and I don't really like it very well.

I've used Quicken since 1993 -- definitely do not want to give it up.  Didn't know it was only compatible with Windows.

Which Windows is the best one to use?  7?  8?   8.1?   What are their differences.

My son says
I would encourage you to move everything to "the cloud" regardless, e.g., use Google drive instead of local storage and keep everything in one place (which occasional backups someplace else, i.e., copied down to one of your devices).

That's another thing I don't know much about, other than my Kindle books that aren't on the Kindle or the iPad are there.  I have no idea how one gets personal files -- photos, memos, etc. -- up there.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #918 on: March 20, 2014, 05:15:18 AM »
Oh Pedln - you are not alone!  I am constantly hearing talk about these Cloud things, and I do understand the concept (I think...) but it is a complete mystery to me how my files get into it and how I would get them back.  So I do the usual intelligent thing of hiding my head in the sand and hoping it will All Go Away.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #919 on: March 20, 2014, 07:08:45 AM »
At the recommendation of the tech guy at Staples computer repair department, I bought Carbonite cloud storage.  It automatically stores in its cloud everything I put in the computer, and is there unless I delete it.  As I remember, it's about $50.00 per year, and totally unobtrusive. It's like a continuous "back-up".  Might be worth checking out.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."