Author Topic: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help  (Read 201704 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help
« on: March 21, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »

Welcome to The Technophobe Reader

Confused about Ihpones, Ipods, Ipads, Itouch, Androids, or anything else electronic? Don't know what a "text" message is? Don't have a Nook or a Kindle and don't know the benefits of an e reader?   Feel left out of the rush of the new technology and wonder  what all the shouting is about?

Have a new Iphone,  Ipod, Ipad, Nook, Kindle,  or I headache or are considering same?

Ask your question here! Other sufferers may be able to direct you to a source for help or help with their own experience.

This discussion has no "expert" moderator, we  offer here no professional advice but we may be able to answer out of our own experience, like the cartoon above, the blind leading the blind, :)  or list places you CAN find help.

ginny

• Administrator
Re: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:48:08 AM »
Welcome to The Technophobe Reader!

Here you can ask those questions you feel hesitant to express in public, perhaps,  and get some advice from fellow readers, based on their own experiences.  That's all we can guarantee,  and  the result may be what you see in the elephant cartoon in the heading hahaa,  but we can at least join you in addressing the truly dizzying brave new world of technology we find ourselves in,  and give excellent links to safe sites which may help,   and even phone numbers for any I product which may help.

Here it's ok to ask "what IS a text message." Nobody will laugh.  We're all in this  together, so feel free to ask what an I Phone is or I Pad or the difference in an I Pad and an I Touch or why you want any I at all. :)

How about the Nook, the Kindle, any e reader? What are the advantages or lack of same, why does anybody even want one? Can you do email and surf the internet with the new color Nook? The Kindle?

We're in a changing world. We keep hearing about these things, what's wrong with our old phones, why do we even WANT any of this stuff?

Feel free to ask and if somebody can answer they'll be here.

Welcome, this is our discussion for those who wonder what all  the shoutin' is about.

Feel free to ask!

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
ginny, aren't you wonderful?!  And I've just gotten a question this morning.  I got a smart phone (Verizon Droid X) a couple of months ago.  It synched up great with my Kindle, and I could read from the Kindle on it. 

A couple of weeks ago, my Droid died, and Verizon replaced it.  I've gotten most of the stuff back on it - at least what I could remember.  Today, I tried to read from the Kindle on it, and it wouldn't synch to my book list.  It recognizes that I have a Kindle, and signs me up, but that's all.

I haven't checked with amazon or Verizon online yet - I was going to do that when I finished my regular internet rounds.  And then I saw that you were here waiting for me!  ::) 

Help?!?!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »
haha I've put out a call in the Library but till people get used to looking in, you are eons ahead of me, I can tell you that.

Verizon here says if you will dial *611 (that's a star 611) on your phone Verizon will be able to diagnose your phone and fix it and if they can't they will then transfer you to somebody who can help with your specific problem.

Is this any help?

Or you can call it "tadpole"  as in the heading and I want to hear more about the Droid, every techie who comes out here absolutely loves it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »
Thanks, ginny.  I'll check out the sites to be sure, and then I'll try the *611.  I just bought the "Old Filth" book and it asked me if I wanted it on my Kindle, my DroidX or my second Droid X.  I didn't see an option that I could pick two of them.  I'll press on to try to do this myself....before I give up and run screaming to the store.   ;D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »
I think your problem is you're so far ahead of the rest of us nobody else knows, and that's a specific problem. I bet they could tell you in a heartbeat.

So YOU have now become our Droid Expert! That makes me happy because the Droid is the coming thing.

I talked to Apple the other day, they have a good number to call for any apple product and the lovely young man kept assuring me it was not a "stupid question," but he had to get his supervisor's help to answer it. Apparently he's not been asked about the (stupid) bookshelves before but he did solve it. :)

Good now we have a Droid Expert on hand, it really makes you "feel good," to "help." hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa It does. :)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 02:30:02 PM »
Just marking my place - I hope to learn - I got stuck in the mud about 5 years ago and the tech world passed me by. Maybe it isn't 5  years but everything happens so fast it feels like 20 years.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »
This site is a wonderful idea.  Who doesn't have questions?  And who knows, someone may have answers.

When I told my 14 yr-old grandson I didn't really understand what all these pods were, he sent me a little list -- below.  Of course, knowing technology's warp speed, they may be out of date by now.   The list from Brian --

as to technnology... Apple (company) makes I-Pods (newer versions of Walkman, MP3 players)

There are several types of I-Pods

I-Pod Classic is the oldest one with lots of storage
I-Pod Nano is smaller than the Classic, but with less storage
I-Pod Shuffle is the smallest I-Pod, without a screen, it just shuffles through your songs
I-Pod Touch is the newest I-Pod, with a touch screen, internet (via Wi-Fi), camera, and gaming
I-Phone is an I-Pod Touch, with a phone built in, and has the option of 3G, which is internet through cell towers

A Smart Phone is essentially a phone with internet, for the most part

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »
MaryZ, would Amazon be able to help you out.  On those Kindle discussions everyone raves about Amazon's wonderful customer service and knowledge -- as far as Kindle's are concerned.

HaroldArnold

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »
The one thing I really miss about the loss of the old seniornet site access is the absence of the technical help we had there.  Even so I think this will be a popular site.  More important I also think it will be a useful site making the experience of some available to others facing similar problems.

I have never owned a smart phone though I have come to rely on my plain vanilla Cell for most of my communications needs.  I have had PC's since 1986 and was using CompuServe by 1987 and the Internet before 1994.  I currently have a modern two year old dell desktop and a Nook.  I recently lost my 6 year old Dell Media laptop to a careless cup of coffee.   My next purchase will be either a replacement small but equipped notebook to replace the one I accidentally lost or an I-pad 2, eventually probably both.

I will make another post here later about my experience with the nook.  

mabel1015j

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 08:04:33 PM »
Maryz - just wondering if you can get the Lady Vols on your Droid? ;D ;D

I started watching their game tonight on ESPN2 and then they switched to the Phila region and Penn St game.....so all i'm getting is the score.....boo hoo .... Jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 11:55:53 PM »
I'm hardly an expert on the Droid, but I'll happily share what little I do know and find out.  I did contact amazon by email, and have gotten a reply.  Jean,  we were at the Lady Vols/Marquette game when the e-mail came in (on my Droid!!!), so I haven't read it carefully.  And we worked so hard in the game (Lady Vols 79, Marquette 70 in a hard-fought game) that I'm not going to try to deal with it tonight.

However, like Larry mentioned elsewhere, I think it was telling me to un-install the Kindle, and then re-install it.  I'll bring you up-to-date tomorrow.

Again, jean, I haven't looked to see if I could watch the game, but I do have an ESPN score app so I can get score updates for our favorite teams. 

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
I'm hardly an expert on the Droid, but I'll happily share what little I do know and find out. ]

Mary, that is wonderful! Thank you so much! I don't know anybody with a Droid other than the techies, so you will be a valuable resource!

Harold, welcome, I know you are really into technology and will be a great addition here.

Pedln, you are so right: Who doesn't have questions?  And who knows, someone may have answers.

Absolutely right. And I like being able to come here and ask. Thank you for that list showing the differences in IPods, who knew?  I-Pod Touch is the newest I-Pod, with a touch screen, internet (via Wi-Fi), camera, and gaming
I-Phone is an I-Pod Touch, with a phone built in, and has the option of 3G, which is internet through cell towers

Welcome, Barbara! Here you'll be up to date! :)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 07:55:37 AM »
For my part, I have a new IPhone. I've had it about a week. I saw Patwest's ITouch and had to have one.

AT&T has just come out with a $49 I Phone.  I replaced my Blackberry with it.

I'm just learning how to use it but here's what it offers me that a regular cell phone does not:

1. I can surf the internet and do email
2. It has a fabulous compass. I have always wanted a compass, this thing looks like a million dollar sextant type of thing. Now when somebody says go west I can.
3. It has voice calling. I can say "Call Home," and it will call home once set up and I don't have to fumble to type in numbers, you can set it to call any number of people this way.

I am going to England this summer.

1. I have Frommer's Guide book on it.
2. I have the the London  (Tube) map on it and it's marvelous, it also contains alerts when a train is delayed and/ or a station closed.
3. I have National Rail on it, if you've ever been to England you know you need to know train schedules and you can easily go to the wrong station,  expecting, say, to take a train to Exeter from a station which does not offer it. This shows (the National Rail site is fabulous online too) what the stops are, where to change, what the schedules are. IS there a train which comes back late in the day? This will show you.
4. I have Vicinity which works anywhere. It tells you where you are if you push a button and then you can choose from a variety of items. For instance you can push Convenience Stores and it will tell you the nearest one. It will even pinpoint them on a map and show you a map of how to get to them and how far they are. I just did it here in my outback location and it showed me  the 5 nearest places I could find convenience stores.

You can NEVER be lost again!

5. I have several games and Solitaire games on it.
6. I have two other  guidebooks for France and Italy  on it which I can erase when the trip is over.   No more printing out guidebooks,  or guidebook pages, and carrying around a huge stack of papers with hotel info on them or directions, say , to Highclere, it's all on the tiny phone, but it's easy to see and enlarges better than a typed paper does.

I can use the memo pad for hotel confirmations, phone numbers, websites, etc. Everywhere I went in Europe last year was wired, so you can ride on a train and get the information you need, stay in touch with people, etc.
7. Of course I have books on it for reading.
8. I have a phrase book for Italian on it, which not only shows you the Italian for what you want it speaks it aloud.
9. I have the UK weather.
10. I have the National Trust for information on places I might want to see, times of opening, how to get there, etc.
11. I have QuizQuizQuiz which is a Trivia Game which you can set up any way you like, beat the clock, etc. I'm a trivia fool.

So far that's what I've got so far, in a week.  I'll download some of Rick Steves's free audio  tours for Italy next.

Already I am wondering what I ever did without it.

That's what I've got in a week, it's going to revolutionize my trip this year.

And maybe my life.

jeriron

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 08:36:11 AM »
I still don't text and I really want to start doing that. the cell phone I have has the little buttons with both numbers and letters on the same key. I don't like that.  I would love to get a IPhone but it isn't the cost of the phone so much as it is the monthly fee with texting . I'm hearing that it runs about $80 or $90. Is that true?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 08:54:19 AM »
Jeriron, I think it depends on the plan you get? Since I "upgraded" my phone from a Blackberry to an IPhone, I'm using the same plan. I don't text and so that's off, you pay for that separately apparently. It totally depends on what you want in the way of usage and data transfer. I chose a pretty big plan, it looks as if it's running about $81.00 per month, but that covers the new service just added,  and  internet service too as well as phone. I think it depends on what plan you select and I got one I probably need to scale down a little bit. I don't use the PHONE as a phone that much.  My husband hates technology and he pays $12.00 a month for his regular cell phone.

But we live out, way beyond any wi fi or wireless antennas.  And this covers also International calling. If I lived IN  a city or anywhere near where wireless was, I could use that free. A lot of people have disconnected their land lines and use cell or these mobile phones only too.

jeriron

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 11:44:42 AM »
I think everyone's bill will be different because of the plan you get but I still think it's going to be in the 80's or so. Because why have it if you don't have the Internet or testing. You have what you use the most so that's the way the bill will be.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
I got this phone for myself because I wanted a new toy - and it was my birthday.  That's probably the most honest reason.  It has a virtual keyboard, so I've also added texting to my plan (to the delight of our daughters and grands).  John teases me because I haven't learned to "thumb type".  After all those years of being a secretary/transcriptionist and a whiz of a typist, this one-finger or thumb typing is a bit frustrating.  And I refuse (so far) to get into what I can only think to call "twitter speak".  We shall see.  As to cost, the monthly cost is about $20 more than I was paying on our plan before.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 12:04:04 PM »
Just how easy is it to READ what comes up on these phones and touches, etc?  I can read on the computer at 100%, but anything smaller would be difficult. 

Another question -- you all know that the NYTimes is going to start charging Mar. 28.  I got an email this am, supposedly from NYtimes saying that Lincoln is offering me a free subscription for the rest of the year.  Whoa????????   I have been looking (dreaming) at cars -- mostly GMs because I want OnStar (lets hear from those of you who have that), but just for fun I did do a search on Lincolns, and I have used the NYT Car Search.  My concern is, I want to be sure this is a legitimate offer and not some scammer from Nig***** wanting to plant spy software in my PC.  (How's that for being paranoid?)  What do you think.  Offer expires on Sunday.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 01:29:30 PM »
pedln, on both my devices, I can change the size of the font, so that's not a problem.  I keep my computer at 125% for most things. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
Nothing is free...

Anything in life that is offered free I have learned several times the hard way that those who offer to “relieve” us of ‘struggle’ do not have our best interests at heart, even though they may act, or pretend to act, out of a sense of compassion. We will have opened ourself to being cheated and betrayed. When folks take from us a responsibility we inwardly perceive that we are helpless, not able to act on our own behalf. They appeal to our lessor nature to achieve their end and we let them. They justify their actions by pointing to our relinquishing our better nature.

And so as simple as it sounds and not the millions or even thousand or hundreds of dollars that pass from one to another on many levels of society  you just have to decide what risk you want to buy and for how much you want to sell  your better nature.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 02:24:31 PM »
The amazon helper suggested (like Larry) that I unstall and then re-install the Kindle app.  I did this, and fumbled around a bit more, and finally found my list of books, and can access them.  So thanks to all concerned.

LarryHanna

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
maryz, glad to see you found the solution to your Kindle problem. 

I certainly don't hold myself out as any kind of expert but I love computers and electronic gadgets.  I have the second generation iPod Touch (there are two new models out now), which does not have a phone or camera on it and is not 3G capable but has wi-fi.  I would love to have an iPhone but really don't need it as have a cellphone.  You will probably think I am a cheapskate because I will mention, from time to time, applications I have on my Touch that are free and work very well.

One of the programs I have is called Text Free Voice, which allows me to send as many texts free as I want.  I have also made phone calls (not very many) using the Voice part of this.  When you register you get to choose a telephone number that they provide and you can text to any other telephone number of a phone.  They can then respond back to you with the number you have.  I really am not into texting but do one at least every 25 days to keep my account active as they send an email saying they will take back my number if I don't use it.  To make a telephone call you need either a separate little microphone (which you can order from eBay very inexpensively to pick up your voice and then you hear back on the built in speaker in the Touch.  I also have a set of earphones that have an inline built in speaker and then can talk and hear with the earphones. 

I find that while I have many applications on my Touch there are a few I use everyday.  I can access Twitter, Facebook, news, music sites such as Pandora and Slacker, and my ebook readers, of which I have several that are free applications such as the Kindle, Nook, iBook, and the OverDrive that gives me access to the library books. 

I have a very good friend and we each got our Touch devices at the same time and have a lot of fun with them including playing a word game like Scrabble.  I could go on and on but probably have bored you all enough.  I will just end by saying I have never regretted this purchase and it works beautifully. 

Ginny, thanks for starting this topic.
LarryBIG BOX

mabel1015j

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
This may come in handy for all of us sometime in the future:

the dgt of a cousin begged for help on her facebk page, she had dropped her phone in water, you guess where! All of her cousins and friends gave her lots of advice, all directing her to take the parts apart - cover off, battery out, etc. , put them all into uncooked rice for a couple days; not to try to use it until it appears absolutely dry. Apparently, if you use it while still wet it fries the phone.
One person said to use the silicone/gel (?)  packages put in shoe boxes, etc. He suggested she find a friend who works in a shoe store to collect a handfull for her. Maybe we should all be thinking ahead and save all of those packs we get in anything.

She reports today that the phone is working properly. One poor soul asked "why rice"? Guess
she never worked in a restaurant..... I thot every college student had worked in a restaurant
at some point in their lives  :D ;D ...... Jean

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 08:36:06 PM »
Pedln: We got the first year free...so we had time to evaluate it.  Ask if that's the case with the car you're looking at.

We have had On Star on two vehicles now and will not be without it.  We had the use of the "Concierge Package" for a year free and it was not something we continued.  With the GPS that comes with the truck we have, the Concierge Package was a waste...and very, very wrong on several occasions.  (Yes, the built-in GPS can be as we've found out...but real people looking at maps, shouldn't be hundreds of miles off in the distance between two cities in TN, nor be totally unable to get us out of a town of 3,000 when the main street they wanted us to use was tied up for a couple hours with a parade!  I knew how to get us out...and finally told the operator..who insisted we shouldn't do that..it'd be 3 miles out of our way...geez...as opposed to sitting on a side street for several hours until the parade was over? ).  

However, we do have the Safe and Secure or whatever they call the $18.95 a month plan and we buy minutes to have the in car Onstar cell phone thing.  We're in a rural area and want the safety of calling for help if we need it. We regard it as "insurance."   And, yes, I've used it...to call in a truck traveling at us on a divided highway when he was going northbound in the southbound lane.  Again, they took longer than it should have and in another situation, I'd use the phone thing to call 911.  However, if we're in an accident and the air bags deploy, they know that and can call for help, etc.

jane

rosemarykaye

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 04:49:59 AM »
This is clearly going to be our most popular page ever!!

Just to show you how un-tech and anti-tech I am, I have just been to Tesco's where there was not one single checkout open (at 8am) so I was forced to use the hated self-service thing.  Honestly, if there is anything that would encourage me to shoplift, that is it.  As soon as I put my own bag down on the packing area, the disembodied voice started ranting about "unexpected item" - I snatched it up, whereupon very patronising assistant arrived and told me I should have left it there.  I said "is there not one single person who can open a proper checkout?" -"not at this time in the morning" came the reply, as if it was 3am or something.  In the end, she put my items through for me.  I hate, hate, hate these stupid things - even my husband, who is obsessed with technology, won't use them.  Tesco's profits are humungous, so why can't they pay one assistant to provide a "human" checkout?

Re cell phones, coverage in Scotland is still extremely patchy.  I am on Orange and have no signal whatsoever out here, 25 miles west of Aberdeen but certainly not in the back of beyond.  My friend has Vodaphone, which seems to be better.  There are still some areas with no wi-fi signal.

I know that i-phones can tell you exactly where you are - I know this because husband insists on referring to his in the middle of Edinburgh, when IMHO it would be a lot less trouble just to look at my pocket size A to Z!

I do love my very cheap Nokia phone because I text all the time, but when I have to use his i-phone I find the touch screen absolutely infuriating - I don't know how anyone manages to touch the right letters, I am pretty good at normal typing but I inevitably touch the wrong thing on that i-phone, and within milliseconds I find myself on a page I haven't even heard of, let alone requested.

One last thing - I had lunch yesterday with a friend who is a very experienced hill walker.  In May she and her partner are going to Skye, and she told me that they had hired a guide.  I wondered why this was so, as she is no novice - but she explained that there is a magnetic field in Skye that throws out your compass readings, so you can easily get lost (they will be doing serious Munroes, not my kind of little hill...).  I wonder if that would make any difference to cell phones, etc?

I have heard nothing but good about Kindles, and am sorely tempted.....

I have had my MacBookPro for about a month now and am gradually getting used to it, so if anyone has any very easy questions about one I will try to help, although I am still feeling my way around and frequently calling upon my 12 year old to bale me out!

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »
This is clearly going to be our most popular page ever!!

How true, Rosemary.

Jane, I appreciate that info.  I don't really need a new car, but like the idea of someone knowing I'm in trouble if I'm travelling, or who can remotely unlock it if I'm locked out.  How useful it it for someone who doesn't hear well, I don't know. Is it on only GM cars?

My son tells me I should get a cell phone that has an extended keyboard -- I think it pulls out from someplace.  What kind of phone would they be on?

HaroldArnold

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »
I too have trouble texting because of my large weather beaten arthritic hands.  Even typing on a good keyboard is difficult and with a virtual keyboard on a screen it seems near impossible.  I am amazed how fast some people can text.  A few weeks ago my reader's theater group visited a high school theater group at at a yuppie  North San Antonio Catholic high school.  It was in an amphitheater classroom and girl student in the seat below me put on a truly amazing texting demonstration.  She held her I-phone clamped between the index fingers of her two hands with her two thumbs free to enter text at an amazing speed.  I'm convinced it was something like 40 words per minute.  Though I have no idea how accurate her entries were, i suspect it was pretty near perfect.

In contrast I've wasted at least 15 minutes composing and editing this comment on a fine regular keyboard.    

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 05:36:41 PM »
Pedln...I believe OnStar is a GM product. Other auto companies may have something similar now; I don't know.

When we bought cell new phones in Dec., I wanted one with a keyboard...the ones I saw slide out from the back of the phone, but I was talked out of it by a salesman who told me T9 use is faster. NOT in my case. I've tried to do the T9 and it's just not what I like. I'd buy a keyboard phone again instead of listening to the "expert."   I'd guess most of them have keyboards now.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »
My DroidX has a virtual (on-screen) keyboard.  I'm gradually learning to use it.  I've had trouble hitting the right letters, but when you get a couple of letters in the word, a line comes up that gives you possible words they think you might want - and you can just tap that word.  Then it appears in the message box, complete with the following space.  I'm getting better.  John kids me and says that I need to keep "thumb-typing". 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 01:33:59 AM »
I'm still in the dark ages, with just my computer. I'm glad to be able to check here to learn more about your experiences with these newer technologies.

salan

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 07:54:25 AM »
MaryZ, I have a Droid X from Verizon.  It has a flip out key board, which I love as it was too hard to type in the accurate letters on the other.  I have downloaded the Kindle Ap (I also have a Kindle), but am not sure how to use it on my smart phone.  How does it sync with my Amazon account on my laptop?  Do I have to have an amazon acct on my phone?  I haven't figured out how to do email on the phone either. 
Pedl--I would definitely recommend the extended key pad (much easier to use imo).
Sally

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 09:00:37 AM »
Sally, I've only tried to read on the phone a couple of times.  The first time it cycled right to where I was on the Kindle.  However, when I went back to the Kindle, I had to page forward to the last read page. 

As I've said, I had to un-install the app from the new Droid, and then re-install it before it would pull up the full list of my books. 

I've only looked for the book I'm currently reading on the phone.  It went to my list of books, and then to the specific book, but not to the specific page.  I was just checking, so I didn't take the time to fiddle with it.  I'll try it again today and report back.

LarryHanna

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2011, 10:30:18 AM »
salan, with your Kindle app you will need to go to the setting page and put in your Amazon account information and then it should sync with your account at Amazon as does your Kindle computer application or the Kindle ebook. 
LarryBIG BOX

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 05:50:29 PM »
GOLLY NEDS!  

LARRY HANNA!  I just saw this site and it was yesterday, I could swear, that I asked you for help with my computer.  But on further thinking about it that was 1997.  

Where have all the years gone!  You were so experienced then and here you are, helping others again!

I am tempted by the Kindle.  Time will tell; meanwhile with my land line and an emergency cordless phone in my purse, I am happy with the gadgets I have.

Thank you Larry!  It's good to say hello to a friend, I deleted the "old friend."  

bellemere

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 09:20:22 PM »
I, too, am still in the Dark Ages, with a computer and a NOok.  Helpful hint from the store rep for Nook, and I guess for all ereaders.  if you are going to polish your screen, TURN OFF your reader.  Your touches on the screen will be giving the reader all kinds of contradictory signals and it will try to do them all, and you will not be able to do anything until it sorts itself out. 
and if you think you are charging the batter too often, she says to make sure your WiFi search button is "OFF"  Other wise the Nook is using a lot of battery power searching for a connection.  And keep the brightness level as low as you can for comfort.  The backlighting uses a lot of battery power.
I like my Nook, but there sure is a learning curve.
My husband and I each have cheap prepaid cell phones.  they are fine, but I think maybe we will go to just one.  Whoever is taking the car can take the phone. I never answer it when I am driving, but want it for emergencies. Budget downsizing as retirement stretches on.

LarryHanna

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 10:15:13 AM »
Hi everyone from a gloomy and probably soon to be rainy Atlanta area.  I have somewhere I need to go in a few minutes and hope I get back before it starts to rain.

Ella, so nice to see your posting and yes it was a few years ago that we first met and it would have been perfectly fine with me to be called and "old friend" as I have now reached 70.  It has always been a joy to me to be able to help folks with the computer if I had any experience or knowledge that I could share.

bellemere, my wife and I have used prepaid cellphone plans for several years and know it has saved up a considerable sum as we both use them sparingly but have them handy when needed.  I often will call her from the grocery store to ask about something she wants me to get.  I have given the number out to very few people.  I have to add a minimum of $10 a year to keep my account active and to be able to rollover my minutes.  
LarryBIG BOX

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 12:23:30 AM »
Larry, that sounds like a fantastic cell phone plan.. to be able to add only $10 a year. Do you know if it's only available in your region?

My mother has a plan that we thought was the least expensive where she pays $25 every three months.

LarryHanna

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
Marcie,  the plan we use is the prepaid plan from T-Mobile.  Initially we had to purchase in increments of $25, or at  least we did until we had purchased $100 worth of minutes.  At that point we got a 15% increase on any minutes and then have to add minutes at least once a year to avoid losing the carryover minutes.  The more minutes you purchase at a time the less expensive each minute is but the last time I have a lot of left over minutes or just did the minimum purchase even though those new minutes cost me a little more per minute.  Since my wife and I each have an account it has saved us many dollars over a monthly plan.  However, we do have a house line with unlimited local and long distance calling as my wife likes to talk with her sister for long, long periods of time. With the upcoming merger of T-Mobile and ATT I have no idea what might happen to the plan we have but hope we can keep it.
LarryBIG BOX

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 12:21:38 PM »
Larry, I don't understand your prepaid plan.  You have to go to a telephone to use it?  Is it a credit card of some kind?  You don't have a cordless phone in your car? 

I have a cordless phone I keep in my purse for when I am out and about.  I have used it once, but I know I am paying too much for it, it's a Verizon and I pay a monthly charge.  My sister has one of those phones that just have so many minutes on them and she just pays $10 a month - uses it as I do for emergency when out of the house.

I am thinking of going to her type of phone, right now, I cannot think of the name of it, but it is often advertised.

LARRY, you are a young man; I am perched further up the ladder at the age of 82.