Author Topic: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help  (Read 201699 times)

ALF43

Re: The Technophobe Reader - Technology Help
« Reply #960 on: July 10, 2015, 07:08:12 AM »
I read here earlier that Jeopardy can be played on the IPad.  Is it an app? a game to download? anybody --- help??????
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #962 on: July 10, 2015, 09:31:21 AM »
I've got it, it's fun!

ALF43

« Reply #963 on: July 10, 2015, 09:33:34 PM »
I'm going there right now. I should be emptying suitcases but you know how it is-  Scarlet :)
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #964 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
Will it work on Android or is it just for iPhones?

mabel1015j

« Reply #965 on: July 27, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »
Trivia Crack is very similar to Jeopardy and has a free version. I love it! If anybody wants to play, I'm Jean Laidig Perry on the game, request me. You can get help like switching a question, or pick your category in the final, but i prefer to just take the question that comes next.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #966 on: August 10, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
Oh my, I am beyond frustrated. All of a sudden yesterday, both this site and facebook have become huge print.. and my handy dandy get to everything has disappeared. I suspect it Is windows 10 and a bug, but I cannot find anywhere to reduce print size and regain the entire screen, this way I see part of the screen, since it is so big. I will welcome all advice since my computer guru is in Clermont and I am here in North Carolina..I have turned the laptop off and on several times in the hopes of returning to a real screen and am getting nowhere. I cannot even access my maintenance program.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #967 on: August 10, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »
Here's something that may or may not help.  It's from Jack, over at S & F:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbYOHh1Jkdg

Steph

« Reply #968 on: August 10, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »
The icons are not the problem the print is for me, so the video is not being helpful

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #969 on: August 10, 2015, 04:49:19 PM »
Does hitting the control button and the minus sign at the same time on your keyboard help, Stephanie?

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #970 on: August 10, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
Steph..I'm sorry that didn't work, but I'd hoped when he showed how to get to the Change font size, that would fix your problem and you wouldn't need to go to the icon thing.

A google search for how to change font size in Win 10 brings up some hits.  Maybe one of those would work for you.

Steph

« Reply #971 on: August 11, 2015, 07:45:21 AM »
My computer wizard back in Clermont sent me some instructions. The main problem now is simply Seniorlearn. It is still huge. everything else, I have been able to change one way or another, but windows 10 is a true mess as far as I can see. My fault, I should have rejected the very idea.

mabel1015j

« Reply #972 on: August 12, 2015, 11:55:42 AM »
I've spent several hours trying to fix different features on W 10 and some are just not fixable. I lost a favorite mahjongg game which plays from a disk in my E drive. Altho it appears on the menu, it won't load. Aarrggghhh. I also can't play a full page of Luxor, it just flickers like crazy!

My husband hasn't been able to get into W 10 on our PC, so i'm going to uninstall and reinstall. He did get it on his laptop.

I thought i had also lost the ability to enter my K drive, which really upset me because i use a thumb drive for my power point presentations for my classes and i was scared i had lost the ability to get to them. I finally, after an hour, hfigured out how to get there. They didn't come up im my "file" menu, so i went to "apps", previously known as "programs", and went in thru Power Point.

I suppose in a few months i will like it fine, but oh my! I had suggested we wait for a few months to download it, after they worked out the kinks, but my DH jumped the gun on me.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #973 on: August 12, 2015, 08:48:49 PM »
Lots of people are having problems. It looks like Cortana failed to install on my machine. I don't have it, and can't use the search, the start menu, nor that notifications button. I can't find Settings, which is what a lot of the "fixes" say to use, so I can't "reset" the computer from there. I found instructions to do it in safe mode, but after I select the reset button, it disconnects my mouse and keyboard. To top it all off, the computer does not shut off. I've scheduled  a Microsoft tech to call tomorrow. Hope he can help.

mabel1015j

« Reply #974 on: September 18, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
My ipad 2 died yesterday ( i haven't talked to Apple yet, it may be fixable) but I know some of you use the Kindle Fire, do you know if it can do most of what the ipad can do? Amazon has some good prices for it compared to the ipad, so I'm just checking with you in case I have to get something new.    

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #975 on: October 13, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
I got the ipad air and like it very much.

My problem today is with our pc. Twice today with got a page saying the Windows firewall security had noticed a problem. DO NOT SHUT DOWN YOUR COMPUTER YOU MAY LOSE DATA. Then it provided a phone number. I called the number. She said they were a "Microsoft partner." When she got to the point of saying "I'll try to help you if you will let me.........." At that point I stopped her and said "no I'm not going to do that, we will take our computer to someone we know. I din't know who you are." She was nice about it and said if I had an iphone i could go to Microsoft and check them out. The pc wouldn't shut down, so I just manually shut it and when I turned it back on it was fine.

A couple hours later we got a different, but similar page with a long list of horrible things that could happen if we didn't "fix" the problem. We've also been getting notices that two of our "drivers" are not working and out of date. When I go to the "update" it asks for a credit card to pay the $40 that it will cost. Do any of you know if any of this is legitimate, or have such scams been reported?

My husband still hasn't been able to get onto Windows 10. He was planning to take the pc to a guy we've used before to straighten out as much of this as possible.

Jean

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #976 on: October 14, 2015, 06:07:39 AM »
Jean, I would say that anything which popped up unwanted on my computer screen  is something to never click on and beware of. You did the right thing in cutting off the woman who would have, once she got into your computer, gotten anything such as bank passwords stored there, credit card info, etc.,  she wanted off it. I'd take it to the shop where they can remove this...I've forgotten if it's called malware, Trojan Horse,  or what it is.  But I know people who click on it suddenly find their computer disabled down the road.

I assume you have a good antivirus program installed, there are free ones,  like AVG I think it is, Jane knows all the good ones, and that you keep it up to date.

Don't, as a rule of thumb, click on anything which pops up on your computer screen warning you of anything. You can pick them up on websites and it's a means to get inside any information you may store (not a good idea) for banking or anything else on your computer.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #977 on: October 14, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Jean..I agree with everything Ginny said above.  It sounds as if you've picked up a virus or malware somewhere.  Updates from Microsoft don't cost you $40.00. 

I agree with getting it to a shop you trust.

My husband got a call from "Microsoft" telling him his computer had problems and they were calling to "fix" it.  He played along for a bit, and then said he didn't understand since he didn't have a computer.  Silence on the other end.  This con man had our address, etc. and stumbled around before finally hanging up.  Our neighbor fell for this and ended up paying more again when they had to take it to the shop.  [The good news there is the "fixer" would have gotten nothing but a gazillion email forwards in her computer because that's all she knows how to do.].

mabel1015j

« Reply #978 on: October 14, 2015, 11:53:09 AM »
Thanks for reenforcing my thinking. We do have both Norton and windows defender on our pc.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #979 on: November 01, 2015, 04:35:16 AM »
Having trouble with accessing my Latin class on Kindle.  Can get the first page but have to fight to get to last page -- page numbers too close together!

Frybabe

« Reply #980 on: November 01, 2015, 07:13:10 AM »
Kidsal, I find that I have better luck getting around here if I flip my Kindle sideways. Then the page is a little bigger. You have to have "lock" off for it to flip. Also, you can expand the page size by placing your thumb and forefinger close together on the screen and then moving them away from each other a little. Hope this helps.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #981 on: November 02, 2015, 04:13:59 AM »
Thanks -- will give it a try!

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #982 on: April 08, 2016, 08:51:39 PM »
I hope you're all aware of the vulnerability of Adobe Flash to ransomware.  This has been all over the news, so I hope you've seen it and have checked for the latest patch.  I chose to uninstall mine and to follow the advice of those with how to disable it on Chrome, which can apparently use it even if it's uninstalled.  [I don't understand that, but there's a lot I don't understand about software.]. The following is from Computerworld.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3053959/malware-vulnerabilities/adobe-flash-player-cerber-ransomware-itbwcw.html

Do a google search or read Kim Komando, if you're in her Club or look at other links for step by step.

I'll search for some more links.

Edit: links that may be helpful

http://www.howtogeek.com/188059/how-to-enable-click-to-play-plugins-in-every-web-browser/

http://time.com/4286588/adobe-flash-player-security-update/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3053090/security/adobe-fixes-24-vulnerabilities-in-flash-player-including-an-actively-exploited-one.html

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #983 on: April 09, 2016, 12:20:24 PM »
Thanks, Jane, for posting that helpful info about Flash.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #984 on: September 22, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »
I just got a news alert that Yahoo had a huge data breach, affecting 500 million accounts.  So, if you use yahoo a lot, you may want to check on that.

However, it happened in late 2014!  And they're just telling people in late Sept. 2016????
Incredible.  I'm glad I use their email only for ad stuff .

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/09/22/yahoo-to-announce-massive-data-breach.html?via=mobile&source=copyurl

Frybabe

« Reply #985 on: December 04, 2016, 06:39:59 AM »
For those of you who are using a WiFi connection, I found a neat little program that keeps track of what devices are connected to your wireless router. It is called Wireless Network Watcher (scroll down, it is in the Network Monitoring Tools section). There are plenty of other FREE little software programs here for Windows. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/

I had this on my desktop Windows for quite some time, but just installed in on my new laptop several weeks ago. Yesterday, it discovered two devices, not mine, connected. I disconnected the router temporarily to drop the interlopers and then went through and changed my wireless router password. That, of course, meant I had to go through and change the passwords on my devices to correspond. I hope that takes care of the problem for a while.

Frybabe

« Reply #986 on: December 04, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »
Something else must be going on, changing my router password did not work. I just got another hit. This time from an oriental company. Sigh!

Frybabe

« Reply #987 on: December 04, 2016, 11:55:08 AM »
Okay, I'm back from feeding George's kitties. Here is more of what I found so far.

Part of the problem is that I wasn't reading my little Watcher problem right. While I was doing a virus scan (and then after, when I forgot the laptop was still on) I brought up both my Kindle Fire and my Kindle e-reader at some point. The Watcher found them but didn't drop them from the list when I disconnected. I didn't have the window expanded enough to see that they were no longer active. I discovered, this morning, when I linked my Kindle Fire it did not drop it from the Watcher list when I disconnected until I closed Watcher and then reopened it.

I am not out of the woods, so to speak, yet, though. This morning there was some Chinese (or Korean maybe?) company that popped up. And this was after I changed my password. I went upstairs and turned the WiFi Router off for a few minutes. Too bad I didn't write the name down to see who it might have been. Anyway, it did accomplish one thing, it got me to change my router password which I haven't done in years. Like everything else, it should be changed occasionally. The annoying thing is that you have to figure out how to reset the password on the devices too. It took me a while to figure out that I had to click the forget button in several of my devices' settings for it to come up and ask for the new password.

bellamarie

« Reply #988 on: December 07, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »
Not sure if this is the place to ask about a Windows 10 issue but thought I might see if I can get some help.  I just purchased and DELL computer with Windows 10.  I uploaded a few pics and wanted to edit and save the changes.  I keep getting a message I do not have permission to do this.  I went to Google and found numerous people have had this same problem.  I did the step by step instructions on changing the settings in properties and still it will not allow me to, yet it shows I have full control of doing so in the settings.  Anyone have this issue and can help me out?  I would truly appreciate it.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Frybabe

« Reply #989 on: December 07, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »
AH, HAH! The Chinese company I found showing up on my little router watcher program is Hon-Hai Precision Ind. Co. Ltd., otherwise known as FoxConn. It makes some of the innards of for tons of companies, including Amazon and Sony. It turns out that this belongs to my SmartTV. Funny, I didn't see it popping up as such previously, but then I rarely have both the TV and the laptop on at the same time.

Bellamarie, are you using the Windows Office pic editor or something else? I haven't tried it yet.

bellamarie

« Reply #990 on: January 02, 2017, 01:27:11 PM »
Frybabe, After I posted this I went back to attempt to find a solution and lo and behold, there had been an upgrade to the photo editor program overnight, and everything works like a charm.  I told my hubby I think they were tracking me on Google and saw my issue and fixed it.  I mean come on, how could it be a coincidenc?  I still like Windows 7 much better than 10, but there is no going back now. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

JeanneP

• Sept 2013
« Reply #991 on: March 20, 2020, 02:43:02 PM »
I used a flip phone Consumer Cell and was happy but now everyone is using Text. Hate it and hard to type on a flip. So bought a Smart phone. The Tracfone. Had it few months as never have figured how to set the thing up to the things I wanted it for. Can't get them on the phone anymore and the instructions not good that come with it. Its all press button this number and then that number. Never did I feel so dumb. and then I bought a new auto. Its even bad. So many buttons to press.  I need one of the Grandkids living near. They know it all.  I am not to pad on the Ipad but then only use for certain things and I think Apple easier.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #992 on: March 20, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »
I switched back to an easy phone that is ONLY a phone with a flip case that actually fits in my pocket - and not planning on a new vehicle - a used one that has a CD player is  my limit on technology as well Jeanne - enough!
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #993 on: March 21, 2020, 10:13:39 AM »
I've had TracFone since about 2003. The phone was, and the replacement they sent (free) in 2009, is voice and text only. I do not text and only rarely have to access the text for an expected incoming. Yes, I noticed a year or so ago that it is getting harder to talk to a live body at TracFone anymore. I usually just go up to the website to check on things, but haven't needed to do so for quite a while. My billing is set up to my CC once every quarter.  I don't know if they offer that anymore. George seems to like Straight Talk, but that, I haven't pointed out to him, is run by the same company. TracFone used to be owned by the big Mexican Telecom company, but I don't know if that is so anymore.