Author Topic: Talking Heads ~ Book Towns  (Read 13115 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Talking Heads ~ Book Towns
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 09:07:25 PM »
Talking Heads #12

June 15 - 30

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

A   forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper and online articles.
Bring your ideas and let's discuss

Book Towns

Have you ever been to a Book Town?  Come tell us about it and maybe leave us a link to it?

~~~

A Book Town in Bécherel,  France

What do you know about "book towns" in North America or around the world?

Here's one in Canada:  
Canadian Coastal Community Teeming in Book Titles

And another in Great Britain:  Hay-on-Wye: it’s about more than books

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 09:08:18 PM »
Portland, OR, is too big to be a book town just because of Powell's, but it's really incredible.  That picture doesn't make it clear that it takes up a whole city block.  New and used books are shelved together, so you can decide which you want, and in spite of its size it's very serendipitous.  Only shipping problems keep me from spending a fortune when I'm in Portland.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 12:12:18 PM »
PatH, ever since I came upon a book review from Powell's and then read more about it, it's been a place on my Bucket List.  I'd love to go there, and whenever I meet any one from Portland, my first question is always -- Have you been to Powells?

Annie, did anyone ever hear any more about Richard Booth planning a Book Town in Nebraska? When we were finishing up on Sixpence House that subject came  up and it sounded like it was going to happen.  Does anybody know?

Come join us for another Talking Heads beginning Sunday -- all about your travel.  Why? Where? What Happened?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
Thanks for all the different info on Book Towns.  
No, Pedl'n,  I don't know about Richard Booth.  
This has been a fun discussion and hope all have enjoyed it.  See you on Sunday, Jul 3rd.  I am off to NY for a big party in Ithaca.  Hope everyone enjoys the holiday.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 10:12:57 PM »
This has been a fun and interesting discussion.  Thanks Annie, and all who participated.

Now please come join us Sunday and share  your travel experiences.