Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2011  (Read 76942 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2011
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2011 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2011 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

Case Histories
Three 120-minute mysteries — Sundays, October 16-30, 2011
Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter, The Patriot) stars as private investigator Jackson Brodie in a series of interlocked mysteries based on the gripping bestsellers by Kate Atkinson. Set in brooding, beautiful Edinburgh, the crimes are a mix of cold cases and fresh bloodshed that only a maverick ex-cop like Brodie can solve. October 16: Episode One (based on the novel Case Histories); October 23: Episode Two (based on the novel One Good Turn); October 30: Episode Three (based on the novel When Will There Be Good News?)

PAST PROGRAMS

Don't miss the following encore presentations of Inspector Lewis: The Point of Vanishing (Aug 7), Counter Culture Blues (Aug. 14), The Dead of Winter (Aug. 21), Dark Matter (Aug. 28), Your Sudden Death Question (Sept. 11) and Falling Darkness (Oct. 2). [Note: These episodes will have limited TV airings, so check local listings. These episodes are available to view online for a limited time at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html after they air.] Past SeniorLearn discussion of Inspector Lewis.

Inspector Lewis
Four 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, September 4 - October 9, 2011
In the all-new 2011 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle four cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things (Sept. 4), Wild Justice (Sept. 18), The Mind Has Mountains (Sept. 25) and The Gift of Promise (Oct. 9).

ZEN
Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, July 17 - 31, 2011
What does an honest cop do when corruption rules on both sides of the law? Detective Aurelio Zen (Rufus Sewell, Middlemarch), based on the novels by British crime writer Michael Dibdin, brings justice to modern-day Italy, whether the authorities want it or not.

Vendetta
July 17, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
Solving a politically-charged murder and winning a beautiful woman's heart nearly prevents Zen from learning that he is the object of a psychopath's murderous vendetta. With Stanley Townsend (Sherlock). Watch online 7/18 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

Cabal
July 24, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
When a playboy plummets from a bridge, Zen must determine suicide or murder, all the while navigating the possible existence of a powerful shadowy conspiracy group. Ed Stoppard (Upstairs Downstairs) co-stars. Watch online 7/25 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

Ratking
July 31, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
When a set of kidnappers won't play by the rules, Zen must work against the clock — and his tyrannical new boss — to save the life of a politically powerful industrialist. Ben Miles (The Forsyte Saga) co-stars. Watch online 8/1 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

The Pale Horse
July 10 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Miss Marple (Julia McKenzie - Cranford) seeks justice, armed with little more than a mysterious list of names sent by an old friend only moments before he was murdered. JJ Feild (Northanger Abbey) guest stars. Watch online through 8/10/11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Hercule Poirot: Season XI

Three Act Tragedy
June 19 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 7/19 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The Clocks
June 26 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 7/26 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Hallowe'en Party
July 3 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 8/2 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 06:33:41 PM »
It's possible that some other production company will continue the series. Hopefully, it will get a good response from viewers like us in the U.S.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 09:19:22 PM »
There are some entertaining short videos of Rufus Sewell talking about the books, character of Zen and why he wanted to play the role at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/qa_sewell_stoppard.html.

I think I've only seen Sewell before in intense roles in period pieces. I didn't realize he had such a sense of humor.

MaryPage

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
Thank you, Marcie.  All of those videos were great.

MaryPage

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »
CABAL will be on Masterpiece Mystery tonight.  Excellent tale of Rome, the corruption in the police and many other places, with a fascinating twist of a story re a fashion house.  A bit of Milan, too.  Could have been titled Vertigo.

Frybabe

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »
Ok, so it was the mood I was in last Sunday. I watched the whole program last night and found it pretty good. Will watch tonight.

MaryPage

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »
From what I read on the PBS site, the film script has been changed considerably from the book.

The book begins with a man, who turns out to be a prince, falling to his death from inside of the top of Saint Peter's dome in Rome right in the middle of a mass being heard there.

The film changes the site to a bridge over the river Tiber.

I do not know how much more has been changed, but apparently The Vatican State and its officials are not going to be part of tonight's plot.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 10:33:45 AM »
My power went out for most of the evening. Luckily it came back in time for me to watch CABAL. MaryPage, it sounds like they changed the plot quite a bit from the book (which I've not read). A Cardinal, apparently part of the  Cabal, did make an appearance at the end of the program.

I enjoyed the episode and found Zen to be a bit more playful/humorous in this one, from time to time.

Frybabe, I'm glad you liked the first episode.

MaryPage

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
Well, I enjoyed the show last night very much indeed, but I have to tell you that it just picked up the barest smidgens from the book.  It did not follow the book properly AT ALL!  Very, very different story!

The book is fantastic, but I figure it would take a minimum of SIX hours of film to do it credit and give you all of the nuances of the plot.  For one thing, in the book the prince dies in The Vatican, falling (being sent, actually) down from the cupola of St. Peter's.  For another, the girl who plays the prostitute in this film is not one at all, but a mad woman who is second cousin to the murdered prince and who remains a prisoner in her home, where she dresses her dolls all day, every day.  Her brother makes an incredible name as a fashion designer, but all of the designs are HERS.  She does not know this.  He is the one plotting and having a hand in the death of the prince and the other plotters.  He is also a cross dresser, so he is seen at certain places in the book as a woman.  Dibdin's descriptions of Rome and of The Vatican State are exquisite and very interesting.  Also the relationships of the various departments and agencies.  I love the Italians, but am happy not to be one, as there is no such thing as a direct way to get things done there.

Frybabe

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 11:16:25 AM »
Cabal was good too. For a guy that is supposed to be one of the incorruptables, he sure is getting acquiring favors - no budget cuts for the department, the new apartment (and what an apartment it is). I like how he manages to get things to come out to everyone's satisfaction without doing any really dirty deeds.

Good heavens, MaryPage, I think I will just stick to the TV productions.

Uh, oh! Company. Gotta go.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
LOL, MaryPage. I, too, can see why they changed the plot for TV. I look forward to reading the book, though.

Frybabe, I agree with what you said
Cabal was good too. For a guy that is supposed to be one of the incorruptables, he sure is getting acquiring favors - no budget cuts for the department, the new apartment (and what an apartment it is). I like how he manages to get things to come out to everyone's satisfaction without doing any really dirty deeds.

I think that's part of what drew Rufus Sewell to the role. The character is not what would be a boring (to him) goody-goody.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2011, 11:26:16 AM »
I also enjoyed the 2nd episode of Zen, but I'm still missing part of the dialogue.  I think it is one of those series I need to watch more than once to see what I missed. :)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »
FlaJean, yes, I forgot to mention that. I get the gist but also missed some of the dialog, especially when Caterina Murino (who plays Sewell's girlfriend) speaks.

jeriron

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »
Flajean and Marcie

Why don't you use the close captions?

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
I just can't use close captions.  I get so busy looking at the words I miss the picture.  My hearing is good but the accents are what gets me.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2011, 01:27:37 PM »
jeriron, thanks for the suggestion of close captions. I hadn't ever taken the couple of minutes to look up how to set up close captions, which I've just done. I'm sure it will be helpful for several TV programs. I appreciate your reminder about that service.

jeriron

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2011, 03:13:19 PM »
Flajean

Once you get used to using them you won't have a problem.

Marcie

You're welcome!

MaryPage

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »
Getting quite deaf at 82, and have been using Closed Captioning and/or Subtitles in English for the Hearing Impaired for simply years and years now.  Cannot watch ANYthing without that wonderful invention!

jeriron

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2011, 10:21:45 PM »
Marypage

Neither can I.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2011, 10:59:59 PM »
I agree. It's a great technology!

MaryPage

« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2011, 08:24:44 AM »
Well, tomorrow night they are to present their version of RATKING, actually the first in the Aurelio Zen series.  It will be interesting to see how they change it, as he had an American girlfriend named Ellen and did not begin a relationship with Tania until the second book, Vendetta.  Ah so.

Dibdin became famous with Ratking.  It won the Golden Dagger Award.  It takes place in Perugia.  Dibdin actually lived and taught there for 4 years.  It is a place I would dearly love to see.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2011, 04:34:48 PM »
Thanks, MaryPage, for the reminder about RATKING on Sunday. I've gotten the book from the library and have just begun my first Michael Dibdin. I like his style. He includes quite a bit of criticism of the government in Italy but also love for its people. In the book version, Zen is almost 50 years old and he's done something on some case that has gotten him banned from criminal cases... but, of course, the ban isn't holding since they need someone on a kidnapping case to appease someone important in Perugia.

MaryPage

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
Oh, Marcie!  It makes my heart happy to know you are reading Dibdin.  You will love him.  You will also, like me, wind up yearning to visit Perugia.  Did I mention Dibdin taught at university there for four years?  He knew it well.

Dibdin is very much a reality writer.  He shows the good, bad, strengths and weaknesses of Aurelio Zen.  I wound up not in love with Zen, but liking him well enough to want to have him as a friend if he were a real person and I knew him.  The only truly amazing gift he has is an ability to connect the dots in a criminal case.  He definitely cannot connect them in his love life, but he is one whiz of a detective!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2011, 11:18:13 PM »
I appreciate your enthusiastic recommendation, MaryPage. I'm glad to have this new-to me- author on my "to read" list.

jeriron

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2011, 09:09:58 AM »
Well the tv movie of RatKing takes place in Rome. I enjoyed it and I wish it wasn't the last one. Can't understand why BBC did continue.

I have Cosi Fan Tutti on my Kindle to read. I really wanted Dead Lagoonbut it wasn't on Kindle and hard to get from Amazon so I skipped it and went to the next one. I haven't started it yet though.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »
I very much enjoyed Ratking. I'm sure it wasn't very true to the book, which I haven't finished, but I like Rufus Sewell's portrayal of the detective. He always seems to land on top of whatever mess the Ministry gets him into.

I hope that some other company picks up more episodes.

MaryPage

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
I enjoyed every moment of the show last night, but it had almost no resemblance whatever to the book Ratking.

The book is set in Perugia.  Zen has been sent there to investigate a kidnapping at the request of a highly placed and wealthy citizen of Perugia.  The kidnapped man, an extremely wealthy one with FOUR ( 4 ) children (only 2 plus a son-in-law last night), is being held for ransome and this friend of his is pulling strings to try to get him back alive.  Zen is sent, even though he has been disgraced and is in a boring desk job at the Ministry;  he is no longer ranked a working detective.  But no one else is available at the time, and besides, Zen has distinguished himself in the past by solving kidnappings and getting people back successfully.  Zen lives with his mother, who is not a bit like the one in the film, and has an American girlfriend named Ellen in Rome.

Everything is quite, quite different.  Just a few threads of the original (and most excellent) story remain.  Oh, and in the book Zen does NOT get promoted to Chief.  He just gets his old job plus a promotion in it, but he is not running things.  Ratking is Book One of the Zen series.  At the end of the book Ellen breaks up with him and goes home to the United States.  In Book Two, Vendetta, Zen takes up with Tania, the secretary at the Ministry.  

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »
Thanks, MaryPage, for the comparison between the books and TV versions. This seems to be one of the few mysteries where we enjoyed both the book and the adaptation, when both were very different.

I like both the character depicted in the book and the one depicted by Rufus Sewell.

MaryPage

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
I think Sewell is a most wonderful Aurelio Zen;  I quite simply am bowled over by him.  The expressions that flit over his face are SO much fun.  It is as though we can follow his thinking and real reactions a little bit, while the people he is conversing with cannot at all.  Feels as though we have the advantage of them.  In the meanwhile, Sewell is giving us some really extraordinary acting, don't you think?

I guess that was his best buddy, Gilberto, who came along, unseen by us, and switched the case full of money before the police swooped in on Zen in that piazza.  I tell you, Zen is Brilliant!  

Gilberto is the one who always says:  "Never Again!"  He had to have come all the way from Rome to do that!  He and Zen are an amazing pair.  In Cabal, they just barely escape through a very high up near the ceiling small window and over the rooftops to escape the police!

The police! ? !  Zen IS one!  Yet that is precisely what they did.  I recommend you read all 3 of the books that have been filmed, as the books are much, much better than the films.  Then go on to the rest of the series.  There will never be any more books, as Dibdin is dead.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »
MaryPage, yes I enjoy seeing the twinkle in Sewell's eye and his almost-smiles. You can definitely tell there is a lot going on in his mind that he has to hide from various people.

I used the close captions last evening and they were very helpful.

jeriron

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2011, 10:00:39 AM »
I decided to add this here about Downton Abbey2.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Downton-Abbey-Spoilers-1035915.aspx

Starts in January.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »
Thanks, Jeriron. That should be interesting!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2011, 10:50:14 AM »
Our PBS is raising money again so no Sunday night mystery.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »
Till Downton Abbey starts and Upstairs Downstairs resumes I've been whetting my appetite with the original Upstairs Downstairs which I found on youtube in  several installments. It plays well and quickly and even tho it's darker than what I recall, it was so interesting I was hooked with the first one and pulled out my entire old set which I have had for quite a while and am enjoying watching it.  It's fascinating, and not as dated as you might think, and really telling of the time period.  Drags you right back in.  Gordon Jackson (Hudson) is just incredible, it's quite a cast. I did not realize until this year, and may have mentioned it here,  a spin off for Mr. Hudson and Mrs. Bridges was contemplated but I believe he died.

What inspired all this was the actor Simon Williams (James in the original series)  who was this past July  currently appearing on the London stage in Yes Prime Minister. I would have liked to have seen him,  but it did not fit in my schedule at the end. I'm not sure I'd want to see it without Nigel Hawthorne,  anyway, I was such an admirer of him and his work. At any rate the Sunday Times I think it was did a huge article on Williams which was quite interesting, if you remember James.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Mapp and Lucia, by the way, has many of its episodes also on youtube, if you're a fan.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2011, 08:05:24 PM »
Ginny, thanks for the info about those PBS shows on youtube. It turns out that my public library has the whole series on 24 DVDs (3468 min.)!! That's a lot of youtube viewing  ;)

They also have the two seasons of Mapp & Lucia. I look forward to seeing them again.

jeriron

« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2011, 08:34:31 AM »
Masterpiece mystery will air a movie next year that is a PREQUEL to Inspector Morse. It is for the anniversary ofColin Dexters death. It is called Endeavour.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »
Thanks for that alert, Jeriron. It seems like it might be a new series starring the younger Morse. See http://tellyspotting.org/2011/08/09/pbs-endeavor-looks-at-early-days-of-inspector-morse/

jeriron

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2011, 04:04:37 PM »
Marcie
Thanks for posting the Link to that article. I still haven't figured out how to do that on my IPAD.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
I envy you your IPAD, Jeriron!