Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2011  (Read 76940 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2011
« on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:45 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2011 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2011 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

Case Histories
Three 120-minute mysteries — Sundays, October 16-30, 2011
Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter, The Patriot) stars as private investigator Jackson Brodie in a series of interlocked mysteries based on the gripping bestsellers by Kate Atkinson. Set in brooding, beautiful Edinburgh, the crimes are a mix of cold cases and fresh bloodshed that only a maverick ex-cop like Brodie can solve. October 16: Episode One (based on the novel Case Histories); October 23: Episode Two (based on the novel One Good Turn); October 30: Episode Three (based on the novel When Will There Be Good News?)

PAST PROGRAMS

Don't miss the following encore presentations of Inspector Lewis: The Point of Vanishing (Aug 7), Counter Culture Blues (Aug. 14), The Dead of Winter (Aug. 21), Dark Matter (Aug. 28), Your Sudden Death Question (Sept. 11) and Falling Darkness (Oct. 2). [Note: These episodes will have limited TV airings, so check local listings. These episodes are available to view online for a limited time at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html after they air.] Past SeniorLearn discussion of Inspector Lewis.

Inspector Lewis
Four 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, September 4 - October 9, 2011
In the all-new 2011 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle four cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things (Sept. 4), Wild Justice (Sept. 18), The Mind Has Mountains (Sept. 25) and The Gift of Promise (Oct. 9).

ZEN
Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, July 17 - 31, 2011
What does an honest cop do when corruption rules on both sides of the law? Detective Aurelio Zen (Rufus Sewell, Middlemarch), based on the novels by British crime writer Michael Dibdin, brings justice to modern-day Italy, whether the authorities want it or not.

Vendetta
July 17, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
Solving a politically-charged murder and winning a beautiful woman's heart nearly prevents Zen from learning that he is the object of a psychopath's murderous vendetta. With Stanley Townsend (Sherlock). Watch online 7/18 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

Cabal
July 24, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
When a playboy plummets from a bridge, Zen must determine suicide or murder, all the while navigating the possible existence of a powerful shadowy conspiracy group. Ed Stoppard (Upstairs Downstairs) co-stars. Watch online 7/25 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

Ratking
July 31, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
When a set of kidnappers won't play by the rules, Zen must work against the clock — and his tyrannical new boss — to save the life of a politically powerful industrialist. Ben Miles (The Forsyte Saga) co-stars. Watch online 8/1 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

The Pale Horse
July 10 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Miss Marple (Julia McKenzie - Cranford) seeks justice, armed with little more than a mysterious list of names sent by an old friend only moments before he was murdered. JJ Feild (Northanger Abbey) guest stars. Watch online through 8/10/11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Hercule Poirot: Season XI

Three Act Tragedy
June 19 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 7/19 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The Clocks
June 26 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 7/26 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Hallowe'en Party
July 3 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 8/2 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
A new Poirot series starts this Sunday with "Three Act Tragedy." See a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/threeacttragedy.html.

I look forward to the 2011 Mystery season. It's always a fun diversion for summer.

Frybabe

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 01:59:15 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Marcie.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »
I got their newesletter and came running in, but I should have known you'd all be up on it, in here! hhahaha

Here's what they also say in the newsletter:

Join Hercule Poirot in a new whodunit with a cast of suspicious characters, a tray of dry but potentially deadly martinis, and murder on center stage. Three Act Tragedy airs Sunday, June 19, 2011 on MASTERPIECE MYSTERY! Art Malik (Upstairs Downstairs) and Kimberley Nixon (Cranford) join David Suchet as he reprises his signature role as Agatha Christie's suave Belgian sleuth.

Watch Online
For a limited time, reexamine Poirot's cases or select your favorite scenes: watch Third Girl online through Sunday, June 26 and Three Act Tragedy, starting Monday, June 20.

See Marcie's link above.

I love Suchet in this role, can't wait to see this. And one of the magazines I take says that the new episodes of Downton Abbey are ready and will air this fall if I read that correctly, tho I don't see it on the schedule on the PBS site. I DO see Bill Nighy and Allan  Rickman tho, wow.

Did anybody here win the contest? They are taking a long time to announce the winner!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:20:54 AM »
Thanks for the added information, Ginny. We can most always count on PBS for great entertainment.

Frybabe

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »
My PBS Station re-ran THIRD GIRL last night. I started to watch it, but decided not to finish it. Even though Ariadne Oliver was featured in it, it wasn't one of my favorite Poirot shows.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 11:13:25 PM »
Oh, Frybabe, I vaguely remember THE THIRD GIRL. I'm hoping that the three new episodes will be memorable!

EvelynMC

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've been out for a a while because I had foot surgery March 17, and was in two different casts for 11-1/2 long weeks.  But now I am in a "walking" boot and am hobbling around quite nicely with a walker. Good to be back.

I watched "Poirot" last night, "Three Act Tragedy" and enjoyed it.  It didn't dawn on me until just before Poirot unveiled it, who the bad guy/girl was.
(I'm not going to be a spoiler for those of you who haven't seen it yet.)

It was a good mystery.

Evelyn

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »
Evelyn, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been in a cast for so long. It must be a relief to be in a walking boot but I hope you can get out of that soon too!

I have yet to watch THREE ACT TRAGEDY. I'll do that soon with my "on demand" cable. It's also available online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html through 7/19.

Frybabe

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:50:52 PM »
I was surprised by who did it. Interesting ending.

mabel1015j

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:06:08 PM »
This is my first time here. Do you talk about The American Experience series? Our PBS station is starting a series on Abraham and Mary Lincoln, tonight. It should be fascinating, they are a great psychological study and the serues is narrated by our favorite David McCullough...... Jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:19:15 AM »
Jean, We've been focusing on the Masterpiece series, but I'd welcome the addition of the American Experience. I missed the Lincoln series.

I watched Poirot's The Clocks last evening. I thought it included a bit more playfulness... between Poirot and the two girls in their treehouse. The Navy Lt. seemed to fall a bit quickly for the stenographer, after he just lost his former girlfriend but I was okay with that in the stylized 90-minute presentation. I enjoyed the episode.

Frybabe

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 07:52:22 AM »
Yes, I liked it too.  Poirot has gotten less "fussy" in these later episodes, don't you think?

I recognized two of the actors, one Ms. Pettimarch (?) from an earlier Agatha Christie and the other was the fellow that played Lionel (opposite Judy Dench) in As Time Goes By.

CubFan

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »
I found it interesting & distracting that the local policeman's name was Hardcastle - which is the surname of Geoffrey Palmer's character on "As Time Goes By". I think that in this current season of Poirot, he has shown more emotion - both in empathy for other characters and in his own strong feelings about issues. 

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
Frybabe and CubFan, I agree with both of you that Poirot has been less fussy/fastidious in this series and he has shown more emotion.

I too recognized Geoffrey Palmer and Anna Massey. I like them very much in everything I've seen them do. LOL, I wonder if the name of Hardcastle was in Agatha Christie's original novel. If so, I wonder if the name made someone think of casting Geoffrey Palmer (in that other role).

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 09:30:38 PM »
This Sunday's Poirot should be a good one. It features Zoë Wanamaker and Deborah Findlay, both great character actresses. Find information and a short preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/halloweenparty.html. Another site for the preview if the previous preview link doesn't work: http://video.pbs.org/video/1979166355/

MaryPage

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 08:31:06 AM »
Poirot's Halloween was on last night.  Such a lot of great British actors in one episode.  Very complex, but fun.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 12:57:44 PM »
I agree, MaryPage. It was fun how everything tied together! I had a funny feeling all along about one of the prime suspects.

salan

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
Why is this site not showing up on the discussion index like it used to??  I always click on new replies.  It used to show up there, but it doesn't now.  I thought that no one was posting.  Glad to see it back.
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 07:01:29 PM »
Salan, I'm glad you found this discussion. We opened a new one for the MYSTERY season, after PBS Masterpiece Classic ended. Now that you've posted in the discussion, it will appear when you click SHOW NEW REPLIES.

nlhome

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 10:51:56 PM »
I only saw a part of one of the latest mysteries - will have to watch on line I guess. Summer is  a bad time for TV in this household, too many distractions.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 12:57:48 AM »
A new Miss Marple mystery, The Pale Horse, will be broadcast this Sunday. Learn more at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/palehorse.html

MaryPage

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »
I read Masterpiece Mystery is going to start offering films made of Michael Dibdin's wonderful Aurelio Zen mysteries.

If you have not read Dibdin, start NOW!

I bought every Zen book he wrote.  The second one, VENDETTA, I read and passed on to a granddaughter.  For some reason, this appears to be the one Masterpiece will start with.

This is truly first rate stuff.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 08:39:45 PM »
MaryPage, yes, ZEN will be offered during the last three Sundays in July with the handsome Rufus Sewell in the lead role. I appreciate your recommending the books. I'll check my public library right away. EDIT: I'm glad you mentioned the books, MaryPage, a couple of people already have holds on a couple of the books ahead of me! I'm assuming they are PBS viewers too :-)

The three episodes (with the same titles as Michael Dibdin's books) will be:
Vendetta
Cabal
Ratking

Sidetrack: Rufus Sewell reminds me of a young Ian McShane (Lovejoy, Deadwood, Pillars of the Earth). I searched to see if there was some relation and found that some other people think so too. See the photos at http://cheezburger.com/cyberlis/lolz/View/1133083392

MaryPage

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 08:56:22 AM »
What I am having a hard time understanding is that the books, in order, should be:

Ratking
Vendetta
Cabal

So why are they doing it the way they are?  Each case stands alone, true;  but Zen's life moves through the books in a straight time line, and this presentation messes that up.  Unless they do not go into his private life at all in this series.

MaryPage

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »
Oh well;  in reading the synopsis of each plot on line, it would appear the writers chose to do exactly that:  i.e., change the order of the cases while keeping the order of Zen's personal life.  One wonders why, but it will not be at all important when we get into the series, I am sure.

Frybabe

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »
I liked The Pale Horse. There was something a bit different about it compared to most of the other Miss Marples. Did anyone else think so? Too bad we are only getting one this season.

I am looking forward to seeing the Zen episodes. I've seen Rufus Sewell  before somewhere. His eyes are so penetrating, very unforgettable.

salan

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »
Did any of you recognize the land-lady?  Pauline Collins.  I just love her.  First saw her in the movie Shirley Valentine, one of my all time favorite movies!  Of course, she had aged quite a bit since them; but haven't we all???

Sally

EvelynMC

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 06:54:04 PM »
I was wondering where I had seen the landlady before.  Of course, Shirley Valentine! Thanks for jogging my memory.

I rather liked "The Pale Horse" too.  All those British actors hamming it up. What a treat.

Evelyn

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »
I dozed off for a little bit toward the end of The Pale Horse but I think it's because I was very tired; not that the episode was boring :-) I like Julia McKenzie in the role.

I remember Pauline Collins from Upstairs, Downstairs. You can't forget her dimples.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »
Don't forget that the new ZEN series starts tonight!

horselover

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 04:27:51 PM »
I just love the Italian detectives. I've beeen through all the Guido Brunetti books by Donna Leon, and the Salvo Montalbano. While waiting for the next installment of these, I'm looking forward to ZEN. I recently returned from a trip to Italy where I got to see Brunetti's Venice. I'll be watching ZEN tonight.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 01:30:25 AM »
I haven't read the books yet. I just watched the episode.  I loved it. I thought the style, especially the opening credits, was very 1960s. Rufus Sewell is wonderful in the role. I thought all of the actors were very good. I missed a little of the dialog but figured it out. I'm looking forward to more of this series.

Tomereader1

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »
Thanks, Marcie, for naming Pauline Collins (dimples).  I knew I recognized that face, and just couldn't place it at all!  I can now quit pondering that little bit of mystery! LOL.  Don't you hate it when someone's face is imminently familiar, and you can't for the life of you, remember a name, a movie, a series they appeared in?  Even happens to me in "real life"!

P. S. - I watched "Zen" and loved every minute of it! 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 12:03:37 PM »
I loved "Zen".  I also missed a little of the dialogue but also figured it out.  Looking forward to more in this series of mysteries.

Frybabe

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 12:19:48 PM »
I guess I was being a bit prudish last night. I stopped watching it after about a half hour or so. I didn't care for the number comments about and attempts by some of the characters indulged in to get someone into bed with them. I might attempt to watch it again on the rerun Saturday night.

MaryPage

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »
Frybabe, what you heard was so TYPICALLY Italian!  Seriously!  And Dibdon has been dead since, oh, I think about 2007, but no one wrote better as to how the culture works there.  In fact, as a big fan of his, I have to say I really believe that after the obvious desire to be a published writer and make money, his whole focus was to uncover the Italian commercial, government, and family soul.  He makes you see the connections people have and why they are careful not to antagonize politicians, police, and jurists;  let alone criminals.  In short, why people "get away with murder" in that country!

There was NO sex scene in the entire show, other than a passionate kiss in an elevator with all clothing intact:  just those insinuations.  I am told you cannot walk down a city street in Italy without having your butt pinched or being invited to have sex.  I do not know from personal experience whether that is a gross exaggeration or not;  but I sure do hear and read it over and over.

I loved the show, highly recommend the books, and will tune in next week.  Too sad for words that some of your PBS stations could not afford to run it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 06:06:44 PM »
The article at http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/mar/02/zen-bbc-axed-second-series, published in March, says that BBC isn't going to renew the series (after these three episodes) but it gives hope that one or more of the markets outside Britain might have enough demand to cause another company to commission more episodes. I hope so!

MaryPage

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 09:34:54 AM »
Very sorry to hear there will only be 3, as I thought the first outstanding.  All of the stories are excellent and the writing (books) was top-notch, first-rate, superior writing.  Dibdon had a way of capturing emotions and describing them almost visually that was beyond compare.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that there will only be three in this series.  My husband and I both enjoyed it.