Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2011  (Read 76948 times)

MaryPage

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery 2011
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »

Masterpiece Mystery 2011 presents the best British mysteries. See the complete 2011 MASTERPIECE MYSTERY schedule

NOW DISCUSSING

Case Histories
Three 120-minute mysteries — Sundays, October 16-30, 2011
Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter, The Patriot) stars as private investigator Jackson Brodie in a series of interlocked mysteries based on the gripping bestsellers by Kate Atkinson. Set in brooding, beautiful Edinburgh, the crimes are a mix of cold cases and fresh bloodshed that only a maverick ex-cop like Brodie can solve. October 16: Episode One (based on the novel Case Histories); October 23: Episode Two (based on the novel One Good Turn); October 30: Episode Three (based on the novel When Will There Be Good News?)

PAST PROGRAMS

Don't miss the following encore presentations of Inspector Lewis: The Point of Vanishing (Aug 7), Counter Culture Blues (Aug. 14), The Dead of Winter (Aug. 21), Dark Matter (Aug. 28), Your Sudden Death Question (Sept. 11) and Falling Darkness (Oct. 2). [Note: These episodes will have limited TV airings, so check local listings. These episodes are available to view online for a limited time at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html after they air.] Past SeniorLearn discussion of Inspector Lewis.

Inspector Lewis
Four 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, September 4 - October 9, 2011
In the all-new 2011 season, Lewis and Hathaway tackle four cases in the seemingly perfect academic haven of Oxford: Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things (Sept. 4), Wild Justice (Sept. 18), The Mind Has Mountains (Sept. 25) and The Gift of Promise (Oct. 9).

ZEN
Three 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, July 17 - 31, 2011
What does an honest cop do when corruption rules on both sides of the law? Detective Aurelio Zen (Rufus Sewell, Middlemarch), based on the novels by British crime writer Michael Dibdin, brings justice to modern-day Italy, whether the authorities want it or not.

Vendetta
July 17, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
Solving a politically-charged murder and winning a beautiful woman's heart nearly prevents Zen from learning that he is the object of a psychopath's murderous vendetta. With Stanley Townsend (Sherlock). Watch online 7/18 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

Cabal
July 24, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
When a playboy plummets from a bridge, Zen must determine suicide or murder, all the while navigating the possible existence of a powerful shadowy conspiracy group. Ed Stoppard (Upstairs Downstairs) co-stars. Watch online 7/25 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

Ratking
July 31, 2011 at 9pm
One 90-minute episode
When a set of kidnappers won't play by the rules, Zen must work against the clock — and his tyrannical new boss — to save the life of a politically powerful industrialist. Ben Miles (The Forsyte Saga) co-stars. Watch online 8/1 - 8/30 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/zen/watch.html

The Pale Horse
July 10 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Miss Marple (Julia McKenzie - Cranford) seeks justice, armed with little more than a mysterious list of names sent by an old friend only moments before he was murdered. JJ Feild (Northanger Abbey) guest stars. Watch online through 8/10/11 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Hercule Poirot: Season XI

Three Act Tragedy
June 19 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 7/19 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

The Clocks
June 26 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 7/26 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Hallowe'en Party
July 3 at 9pm

One 90-minute episode
Watch online through 8/2 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html

Discussion Leaders:  JoanP and marcie

ANYONE who has not read the Mapp & Lucia books should give themselves a treat.

jeriron

« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2011, 07:52:51 PM »
Marcie

I was sure glad to have it this week. My computer had a really big virus and I had to have it worked on. At least I had the IPAD. I really like it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2011, 08:49:25 PM »
Oh, it's too bad about your computer virus, jeriron. It's great that you were still able to go online with your IPAD.

Frybabe

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2011, 08:17:17 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the new Inspector Lewis series. It looks like, though, the Sept.11 show will not be aired. My station has a Mahler concert scheduled for that time. I hope that doesn't mean they are going to be begging again. They just did that for two weeks earlier this month. Come to think of it, there will be a lot of 9/11 memorial things going on on Sept. 11.

I know someone reported Francesco Quinn's death earlier but I can't find it just now. Here is an article from the LA Times.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/08/francesco-quinn-mourned.html
I knew his face was familiar; he's played in a lot of the TV programs I watched, including NCIS and most recently, The Glades. If anyone does pick up production of a new Zen series, I won't be surprised if the cast is all new.

I hope the Wallander series is still on for October here at my PBS station. I hear they cut back several programs recently,but I believe most or all were local productions.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »
Frybabe, It looks like the new Inspector Lewis schedule skips September 11.

I'm sorry to see the news of Francesco Quinn's death. Yikes, he bicycled 300 miles a week but likely died of a heart attack. I liked his role in Zen. I hope they won't lose Rufus Sewell if the series is picked up.

I don't see the October schedule yet for my PBS station. I too hope that Wallander will be shown.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
Our local PBS was raising money for several weeks so we finally got to see the Inspector Lewis mystery last night.  It was a rerun but we enjoyed it anyway.  Next week's is also a rerun but don't remember it that clearly.  Actually, I sometimes enjoy a second viewing better than the first.

MaryPage

« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »
I feel sad about Quinn, and he is a loss to film, friends and family.  My son-in-law and I were just having a conversation this very afternoon about the fact that exercise is good for a long healthy life, but pushing the body to extremes is NOT a good thing.  Between us, we recounted a number of instances, and here is another one. 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2011, 01:18:05 AM »
The new Inspector Lewis series starts this Sunday with "Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things." Learn more at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/faroffthings.html

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »
Marcie, a Sgt. Lewis rerun is scheduled for us on our local PBS.  We don't seem to be on the same schedule as other stations.  Don't know why.

MaryPage

« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
Every PBS channel or radio station is independent of all others.  They draw from the same pool of resources, but each has its own budget and its own sources of fund-raising.  Those less affluent simply cannot afford to pay for the new shows when they become available.

At least, this is what I have read.  My understanding may not be perfect.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »
Our PBS broadcasts from U of FL and they do have a lot of fund raising.  Maybe they just aren't getting enough funding.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2011, 09:13:56 PM »
Oh, that's too bad, FlaJean. It looks like my station will be showing the new Inspector Lewis on Sunday.

The episode should be available for viewing online on the PBS Mystery website starting on Monday.

salan

« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2011, 04:57:10 AM »
My PBS station is having an Inspector Lewis marathon---four or five old episodes to be followed by the new one!  I have DVR'd them to re-watch at my leisure.
Sally

MaryPage

« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »
I saw the new Inspector Lewis last night, and it reminded me so much of Dorothy Sayers Gaudy Night, which was also my favorite of all of hers.  The Sayers was the better of the two, but the new Lewis was quite good.  Enjoyed it.

At Oxford a gaudy is a college feast.  Remember the song we used to roar at the top of our lungs:  Gaudeamus Igitur?  That is said to be what it sprang from.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
Mary Page, Ginny makes sure that all her Latin students know Gaudeamus Igitur and I'm half singing it as I write.

I saw the new Inspector Lewis last night and enjoyed it, but have a couple of things I question, but don't want to be a spoiler. For a certain murder I'm unable to come up with a motive. Also don't understand why a certain character was included, and thought one part rather predictable and unbelievable.

Frybabe

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »
Pedln, I may have to watch the whole thing again on the re-run next Saturday. I also don't know why one murder occurred. It appears unresolved in my mind. About the time when Lewis and Hawthorne put all the pieces together, I got a phone call. I missed the crucial ah-hah moment. All-in-all, it isn't going to make my list of favorites.

HallieMae

« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2011, 04:34:52 PM »
I saw the new Inspector Lewis mystery last night and plan to watch it again as we do get more than one PBS station here, so it will be on another station during the week.
Pedln questioned the murder of one person, I wonder if it's the same one I wondered about.

I really enjoy most of what Masterpiece Theatre and the BBC offer but I seem to be having trouble understanding many of the actors accents.  I never had this trouble before but lately, possibly due to age and maybe hearing problems, I cannot understand all the dialogue, very frustrating!

MaryPage

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »

HallieMae, I have the same identical problem, but the closed captioning fixes all for me.

I found it not at all clear.  I cannot help but think if the writers were not so hell bent on making us think the murderer could be any one of half a dozen different characters, the unfolding of the plot would have made more sense.  Instead, I became very confused as to who was blackmailing whom and why;  how did so many look so young after, wasn't it 20 years?, had passed.  Why did the gal who visited her sister who was in a coma live in smallish Oxford and never, ever run into that guy, Eddie?  If Poppy had seen the original murder of the young womanizer, or at the least help hide the body, why was she not murdered until 20 years later?  Color me utterly confused.  But the scenes are always, or nearly always, marvelous;  as are the actors.

Frybabe

« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »
how did so many look so young after, wasn't it 20 years?, had passed.

Now that you mention it, MaryPage, I was wondering the same thing too, last night.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2011, 12:00:37 AM »
Oh, yes. I'm in agreement with all of your questions and comments. I love what you said, MaryPage: "I cannot help but think if the writers were not so hell bent on making us think the murderer could be any one of half a dozen different characters, the unfolding of the plot would have made more sense."

Does anyone who has not seen the episode mind if we start to ask our questions more directly now, or should we wait a couple more days? There seems to be several things that are confusing.

HallieMae

« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
MaryPage, all good questions, you get so caught up in the story, trying to sort it out as it goes along, you don't have time to think about whether it makes sense.  And if I'm not mistaken, there was one girl murdered who would have been a baby 20 years ago.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2011, 08:17:22 PM »
That's the one, Hallie Mae -- what was the motive for murdering her?

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »
I'm jealous.  We still don't have the new Inspector Lewis series--just the reruns.

HallieMae

« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »
pedln, she couldn't have slept with the original person who was murdered, right?  Can't say anything more don't want to be a spoiler.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2011, 12:19:58 AM »
You can watch the episode "Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things" online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/index.html through 10/4.

Frybabe

« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2011, 10:42:07 PM »
Well, I watched "Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things" again, and I still don't know why or by whom the third person was killed.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2011, 12:08:09 AM »
Thanks, Marcie.  I used your link and watched it tonight.  I don't want to spoil it but I'm pretty sure I understand why the third person (former policewoman who had worked on the original case) was killed and why.  I think it was one of the more interesting in the  Inspector Lewis series.

Frybabe

« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »
Jean, I was thinking of the young girl who came back late from her date and jumped the fence to get back in. She was never explained. Was she the same one who discovered Poppy's body???

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2011, 09:37:33 AM »
Frybabe, Remember the young girl was coming back too late from her date?  I believe she saw Diana when she was leaving to go kill the ex-policewoman.  Diana (the professor) knew it could come out that she had left the house that night and the young girl would surely have told someone she saw the professor.  Diana simply killed her in cold blood to protect herself.  She was a very cold blooded woman.

Frybabe

« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:55 AM »
I missed that connection, Jean, twice  ::)

MaryPage

« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
I think they should spend a little more time with these films and test them with their own people and see where they have failed to connect the dots.

You are right on, of course.  They never went into her death at all.  It must be that it was so there would be NO ONE to ever say they saw the professor, but with so very little about it you really have to think back on it to make that connection.  Frankly, I had forgotten to count her in as a death after the show was over!

Frybabe

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »
I see that Downton Abbey won four Emmys.

There were some very familiar faces in this week's Inspector Lewis that I enjoyed seeing again. And, I liked the references to Jacobean revenge tragedies. Overall, however, I thought the episode was so-so.

jeriron

« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
I enjoyed Lewis. I was wondering if they are going to continue making them after this season with the remarks from Lewis about retiring (won't mention why) and Hathaway saying if he left he would too.  Hmmm

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2011, 10:00:41 AM »
Our PBS finally showed one of the new Inspector Lewis series!  I also enjoyed Inspector Lewis and the remarks do leave one wondering about their futures.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »
I agree that the episode was interesting and the guest actors were good. I  hope that there will be more Lewis next season. Kevin Whatley is 60 years old. I hope he doesn't want to retire yet!

MaryPage

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2011, 10:28:39 AM »
I thought last night's episode was delicious, as I love seeing the scenes of Oxford and I love the ancientness of it all.  My, though, how complicated all of the relationships were!

Frybabe

« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2011, 10:40:28 AM »
Now that you mention it, MaryPage, I liked the house that the Goff's were in with the narrow stairs and the old wood paneled walls. I don't recall seeing any outside scenes of that particular house though.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
In celebration of their six Emmy Awards, Downton Abbey has all four episodes available for viewing for a limited time at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch/

Frybabe

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »
Six Marie? I must have missed two in the count.

Oh yes, I see I missed the two Creative Arts Awards. They were not on the list I saw, which apparently was the Primetime Emmy Awards. So, what is that all about putting up two separate lists I wonder.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2011, 08:54:46 PM »
I got the "six" info from an email from Masterpiece. See the list at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/classic/emmys.html