Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Talking Heads ~ Opens July 3 - TRAVEL

(1/12) > >>

JoanP:
Talking Heads #13 - TRAVEL
A   forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper and online articles.
Bring your ideas and let's discuss.
"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.
Travel

Do you travel?   Why?

Where have you been?  Where do you want to go?

Why We Travel

Travel Quotes

Lucius Beebe Memorial Library

Memorable Travel

Memorable Travel pt.2

Most of us have been, or we want to go, “someplace else” at some point in our lives.
Come share with us, your memorable travels and places that are special to you.

July 3 - 16

pedln:
Who among us who has never travelled?  Across the sea – across the creek – to the other side of the state, the country, on the bus across town – or to those mysterious worlds we find from the depths of our armchair?

Why do we travel?  Do we really need a reason.

When I look back on my travels, much was family related.  When he was in the Navy, my son was stationed in Italy, so that prompted, at age 50+, my first trip to Europe.  A trip to Guatemala came about because my youngest was working there, teaching Mayan women how to make and use solar cookers.

But my first real memories are when I was about 9, my mother putting me on a bus in our southern Wisconsin city to go by myself “up north” to Scandinavia, pop. 350.  The bus stopped at every small town along the way, but I knew when I saw the big white building on the corner in Weyauwega, it was only nine miles more to Waupaca, where I’d be met by my aunt and uncle for the last part of the trip.  Then glorious, unsupervised days with my best summer friend Lois, the minister’s daughter.  I hoped her folks would cook lots of fish.  Lois was allergic to everything, including the smell of fish, so fish at her house meant she’d eat dinner at mine.

Gosh, are 9-year-olds even allowed to travel by bus by themselves anymore?

What are your memories?  What are your plans?

Steph:
Ah Ann, you brought back early memories. My grand parents lived in Portsmouth,Va. My parents and I lived in Kent County, De. My earliest memories are of my so homesick Mother, who would pack me into the car. We would drive down to the tip of the DelMarVa peninsula.Catch a car ferry there and go across to Virginia and drive the rest of he way. I loved that silly Ferry passionately. We went enough that I even got to know some of the crews and OneCaptain would invite me to the command area and I even got to help hold the wheel.. Have not thought of that in years. Now you take a bridge-tunnel and when you get to Norfolk and take the interstate to Portsmouth, the interstate from the tunnel is right where mygrandparents house was.. No more Henry St.

jane:
My Dad was big on vacations.  He took us on one week ones every summer, even though it meant he went without a check.  He worked as a salesman for a wholesale grocery company...back in the day when salesmen called on grocery stores and wrote out their orders by hand.  All salesmen worked strictly on commission...no work, no pay.  However, he and Mom obviously saved for this.  I remember going to Yellowstone ( a big trip from Ohio) and then to the Adirondacks (sp?) where my sister and I both remember (we were maybe 4 & 6) getting "cowgirl" outfits...little skirts and vests!  We thought we'd been given the moon.  We still both remember it like it was yesterday. And, yes, I still have my Hopalong Cassidy capgun (in the box--marked $1.00)!

Since then I've loved to travel. My husband and I have been fortunate to travel within the US and outside it. 

jane

ginny:
OH man, what a great topic, travel!

The All American road trip! See the USA in your  Chevrolet, America is asking you to call! Route 66,. I was in my 40's before I saw historic Route 66.

My parents would load up the car like everybody else on the street in PA (but not like our neighbors who piled their suitcases on top of the car precariously, I will never forget when they got one of those things that enclosed all the stuff) and we'd drive off to the South where my parents were from. "Back in the day" with no air conditioning in the car and the summer time, does anybody remember those "air conditioned" seat cushions you'd put in and sit on which supposedly circulated air?

hahaha Oh my goodness North Carolina, the longest state in the union to my eyes when you'd cross it lengthwise, and possibly the hottest. Cotton fields. Wagons with mules lined up at the cotton gin. I remember stopping at a diner for breakfast and they served grits, this was in Virginia. I had no earthly idea what a grit was (like  My Cousin Vinny which I still think is one of the funniest movies I ever saw) and they made great fun of me. Now I live in SC and while my husband likes grits, trust me, no grit passes the palate here.

Remember the diners? OH man and the  Stuckey's with the clean rest rooms! You timed your ride from Stuckey's to Stuckeys. And how about the Burma Shave signs? Somebody's gotten a book out of them.

I also took my two sons separately  all up the east coast from SC and then across the country by train and drove all up the west coast, what  a country this is, what adventures we had.  I've been to all the states except the two Dakotas, Alaska and Hawaii (hard to drive to  Hawaii! hahaha) and  Wyoming. I hope to some day fix that situation, and I can truthfully say I didn't dislike any of them, so different and each one has great things about it.

Where's the best place you've been? Where's the one you cared for least?

I couldn't say I like one place better than others, I guess it would be where you go back. If that's so in the US NYC wins by a landslide. I did not care for San Francisco nor Denver, I know that's heresy, but I spent a week in San Francisco, it's not for me, but did like Alcatraz. Denver was a train trip thru so it really didn't have a chance and I shouldn't include it.

Why DO we travel? What's the best and worst places you've been if I may ask a question, I'm always on the lookout for new things I've missed.

I do want to see the lava eruptions on Hawaii, they showed on 60 Minutes you can take a boat out to them!  That's on the Bucket List. :)

Great topic!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version