Author Topic: Talking Heads ~ Opens July 3 - TRAVEL  (Read 14223 times)

rosemarykaye

Re: Talking Heads ~ Opens July 3 - TRAVEL
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2011, 08:16:05 AM »
Talking Heads #13 - TRAVEL

A   forum for opinions on anything in print: magazines, newspaper and online articles.
Bring your ideas and let's discuss

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

Travel

Do you travel?   Why?

Where have you been?  Where do you want to go?

Why We Travel

Travel Quotes

Lucius Beebe Memorial Library

Memorable Travel

Memorable Travel pt.2

Most of us have been, or we want to go, “someplace else” at some point in our lives.
Come share with us, your memorable travels and places that are special to you

July 3 - 16

Steph - I love doing all of those things, and the places you go to in the US sound so interesting - but unfortunately I am in the wrong country and also still have my daughters to consider - however, they are growing up, so you never know.  I am really hoping to go to Boston next spring for the US Barbara Pym conference - I have wanted to go for years but family stuff has always intervened.  2012 will, I hope, be the year of independent travel at last.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »
Steph, those rentals look great.  I'm sorry your companion search hasn't worked out yet.  I'm sure you'll find a good match sometime.  We've found that our "perfect travel companions" are John's sister and brother-in-law.  They're the only ones that we enjoy travelling with - and fortunately, they feel the same way about us.   They live in So California, so we see them infrequently - maybe that's why.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Goodness, Rosemary, what a fascinating childhood you must have had. You holiday camps really sound like a lot of  fun – for the kids, anyway.  Sometimes vacations are harder on the moms because they still have all the work to do, but not the usual things to do it with.  I agree with you about sightseeing – it’s great to do, but not every day of a vacation.

Steph, I’d love to go to Naples again, but sure wouldn’t want to drive there. A cable car up Mt. Vesuvius sounds great, she says from the safety of her chair.   It’s been over 20 years since I was there. My son was in the Navy and assigned to the NATO base there.  We had met in Germany and then drove through Northern Italy down to Naples.  Their apartment was on the 4th floor, so on our arrival night they put a lot of stuff on the elevator – but only once. Then we carried the rest of our stuff up four flights. WHY? – you needed a 10 lire coin for the elevator and the government was no longer minting 10 lire coins.  One of Cliff’s co-workers invited us to his home for dinner.  He and his wife had an apartment and his MIL and SisterIL had another on the same floor.  I don’t remember how many courses they served – a lot – but what amazed me was each course was served in a different set of china.  (20+ plus years ago, they were paying $4 a gallon for gas.)  And in Italy I fell in love with gelato.

I’ve enjoyed looking at the homestay link, Steph.  Hope you’re enjoying your stay in NC – that could almost be a US Untour.  Did you say you’re at Highlands?  What all are you and your friend doing up there this month.?  A friend of mine was at an Elderhostel (or whatever they call them now) in Northen GA (I think Hiawasee) not too long ago.  One of their excursions was on a train in the mountains, and another was to the Folk Art School at Brasstown, NC.

So many places to see  /  So many books to read  /  So little time to do it all.

What’s the next place, wishful or real, on everyone’s agenda?

nlhome

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »
Rosemary, I enjoyed reading about your memories.
I think traveling means going where you can, when you can, and enjoying it. Some of my best memories have been of trips close to home, like the drive along the Mississippi River with stops to have lunch and watch the barges. Just a different scene and life.

Steph

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 08:31:34 AM »
Highlands is great, but the road up to it is horrid. Narrow winding with a lot of lunatics speeding on it.. Sigh.. Brasstown. That is John Campbell Folk School. My husband ad I went every year for a course and adored the place. Like being back in the 30's.. No tv, no phones in rooms, communal eating and walking everywhere. Hiawasee is great as well. We took the RV there, stayed on Lake Chatuge and always took our kayaks. Great Italian restaurant there.
I dont want to stay in Naples, but somewhere where I can get to Pompeii. I suspect there are trains..
I love travel and adore Elderhostel. Am considering an elderhostel in November in Berea and Pleasant Hill, Kentucky.. Classes on Berea college and then the Shakers in Pleasant Hill. Sounds like my kind of  classes. I have been to both places and loved them and this is a safe way to go back.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 10:07:53 AM »
Berea is great, isn't it.  We haven't been through there in years.  We do love the Elderhostels, too.  There are always singles at each program, so it's easy to do.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
We stopped in Berea a couple years ago enroute home from a week at Seabrook Island.  We loved Berea and got a lovely handmade paper lampshade I have in the bedroom and still love.

Our next "possibility" is 15 days in Norway, Sweden, Denmark. It's not  the usual ocean tour boat thing. This is inland in those 3 countries.  It would not occur until next July, but we're going to the travel show for more details next Monday night.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2011, 04:51:42 PM »
We spent time in Scandinavia a while back, jane, and just loved it.  I hope you do, too.  We were with our usual travelling companions, and did our own things.  We did include a couple of interior tours that we booked ourselves, one of which was on the Norwegian ferry system, which went up the coast to the Russian border.  It was a terrific trip. 

Steph

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 07:35:30 AM »
Any one traveling around Kentucky, do make a detour for Pleasant Hill. It is an old Shaker community.. all restored and lovely.. A restaurant that is splendid and if you want you can rent a room upstairs in the buildings.. It is the most peaceful place I have ever been to. Makes you want to sink in and stay forever.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »
Some of my best memories have been of trips close to home

How true, nlhome.  And the Mississippi River, north or south, always has a lot of attraction.  It’s too hot to venture out now, but when the flood gates are open, folks here bring their lawn chairs down to the river and watch the water flow.

And 25 miles down the pike we have the Stars and Stripes Museum, a little-known gem that houses the history of the military newspaper first published during the Civil War.

That’s interesting about the ferries in the Scandinavian countries, MaryZ.  I hadn’t thought about ferry travel there, but it sure makes sense.  Jane, I do hope plans work out for you and your husband to visit those countries.

I’m bringing up the map, Steph, to check out those places in Kentucky.  They sound good.

Nlhome and I have the Mississippi, MaryZ’s got Lookout Mountain, what  do the rest of you have in your  back yard.  (When I was a kid in Racine, we’d drag all our out-of-town visitors to see the Johnson Wax building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright.)

This site might help you find something close to home –

Virtual Globetrotting

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2011, 06:47:58 PM »
Here's a link to the Hurtigruten Ferry system in Norway.  It's a combination working local ferry system and cruise ship.

Chattanooga has Lookout Mountain, but lots of other stuff.  Outdoor Magazine always gives us high marks for outdoor activities, plus we have the great waterfront and the Tennessee Aquarium - lots of stuff to do.  Come down any time.

Steph

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »
I have lived several places with view. I prefer water views and just now live in a townhouse on the edge of a very large lake.. Lots of boats, waterskiiers, airplane who land on ater and experiemental airplanes that sound like large lawn mowers. fun.. Just now for the month of July, I live in a rental that is 4500 feet up on a mountain. Lovely far view, but we are perched on a gorge and I dislike lookng down from our porch.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 10:13:37 AM »
Well, it looks like we’re about at the end of our travels here.  It’s really been fun learning about where everyone’s been, where they hope to go.  I loved the Norwegian ferry link, MaryZ, and will have to spend more time looking at those very enticing photos.  Jane, I hope Norway works out for you next year.

Rosemary, will we get to see you here in the States next spring, at the Barbara Pym convention?  We should plan a SeniorLearn get-together around then.  New England wouldn’t be TOO cold in March, would it?

Everyone, thanks so much for your participation and for sharing the memories.  May your feet or your armchairs continue to take you to new vistas and return you to old ones.

I’m flying to Seattle on Thursday to be with daughters and families. And am hoping to see SL’s Judy Laird again.

We’ll keep this site open for a few more days, so do feel free to add your 2 cents.  Have you added any places to your bucket list because of a book?  Carolyn Hart’s Murder on the River Walk sent me Steph’s homesite to look for San Antonio.  The list keeps growing.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 12:36:38 PM »
Pedln - I have been trying to get to the US Pym conference for at least 3 years - every year something or other has stopped me, so I am really hoping that 2012 will be the year.  At least we won't be moving house!  If I do make it, I would love to meet up with SeniorLearn people too - it wouldn't be worth just coming for 2 or 3 days.  I don't think the weather would bother me - I used to live in Newfoundland remember  :)

I have discovered so many interesting-looking places to visit through novels - since reading Louise Penny I am keen to visit rural Quebec (have been to Montreal but only briefly - loved it); Joan Medlicott makes me want to visit the South; reading Alexander McCall Smith has given me a desire to visit Jura; Jennifer Chiavernini makes me want to see rural Pennsylvania; Paul Scott - India; Dana Stabenow - Alaska - and i still get lots of pleasure from coming across places in Edinburgh that feature in Ian Rankin, McCall Smith, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, etc.

Enjoyed this discussion - thanks all

Rosemary

Steph

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2011, 07:54:56 AM »
Ann, the answer isthat it sometimes even snows in New England in March, but it would be fun to have a bookie thing there..If we plan ahead, I may even get to go.

roshanarose

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2011, 09:34:18 PM »
As we relive our holidays here, there are so many memories that feel so tangible and yet are so difficult to describe.  Holidays and happiness with loved ones now gone.  Yet, my most memorable holidays were both in Greece where I travelled alone.  Holidays and their adventure bring out a side in us that even we are not aware of.  That's why I love to travel alone.  Unless I have my love with me, that is what I prefer.  I remember when I first went to Greece in 1982, my boss, an academic of indeterminate age, said to me.  "Carolyn.  Just remember that no one in Greece knows you."  I knew exactly what he meant and let everything flow from then on. 

Closer to home, one of my most memorable holidays involved our cat, Oedipuss.  It was completely out of the question not to take Oedipuss with us.  Every year we would try to holiday at a different beach on the North Coast of New South Wales.  The cat enjoyed beach holidays and camping equally.  One time we rented a small beach shack which fronted onto an estuary.  The shack had its own small row boat.  We decided to see if Oedipuss would like to come for a row with us to a nearby sand islet.  We had been getting him used to the row boat by taking him on very small trips, and he enjoyed it very much.  So off we set, ex hub, me and Oedipuss in this small row boat.  We jumped out of the boat on the islet.  The cat loved adventuring and searched around for something to occupy him.  Suddenly we heard this shrieking and rushed to see what was up.  Oedipuss was being besieged my plovers.  He had wandered too close to their nests, and they were dive bombing him.  Oedipuss rushed back and jumped into the boat and got under the seat.  We rowed back home with a very chastened cat.  Oedipuss was not so keen about the row boat after that.   
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2011, 02:09:24 AM »
Roshanarose - what an amazing cat!  I would always have been too worried about losing a cat to take it on holiday.  Sounds like yours was quite a character.

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2011, 10:50:57 AM »
Rosemary - Cats enjoy and appreciate it when you give them the benefit of the doubt.  They are a lot like children in that way.
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

rosemarykaye

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »
Well mine are certainly like children in that the one always wants what the other's got - for example, this morning one of them sat on her cushion on the windowsill - the other one has an equally nice cushion next to her, but still insisted on pushing onto the first cushion, so they were both teetering like sardines (if sardines can teeter...)

Rosemary

roshanarose

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2011, 01:57:45 AM »
Rosemary - Oedipuss was indeed an extraordinary cat.  One day we drove into a service station (gas station in US speak) and there was a tiny, emaciated kitten eating a chip (french fry in US speak).  As soon as he spotted us he waited for us to open the car doors  and promptly jumped in the car and curled up on the passenger's seat.  We asked the owner if the cat was his and he told us that the cat was a stray.  That cat was Oedipuss.  He knew from the very beginning that we were his.

Rosemary : I hope that you (and your cats) have a successful move and are all settled very soon.