Author Topic: Nominations for our next Classics books discussion  (Read 85455 times)

Frybabe

Re: Nominations for our next Classics books discussion
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
HI Lorac, we post periodically although it looks we'be been pretty quiet here lately. I don't know when our next classics book discussion is going to be.

We usually gather together a list of books and then vote on which one we want to do next. So far, we've done several bios from Plutarch's Lives and three Greek plays. If you have any suggestions for our next read, this is the place to make them.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2012, 04:09:18 PM »
Hi. Lorac! Welcome! It is an ungoing group, but we don't discuss all the time. A few months ago, we finished a discussion of Greek plays that featured strong women. We'll probably start talking about the next thing to read after we finish reading Shakespeare's "The Tempest" in October. Do join us for that.

What has been your experience with the classics?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
Looking in the Tempest, I see you HAVE joined us. Hooray. I've been off the computer for days, due to a computer problem.

Lorac625

• Visiting the replica Parthenon in Nashville,TN,USA
« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
Ooh,I hate that!  We got hit by lightning last year and were without internet for 3 weeks,and only got it fixed when we went out and trimmed the Brazilian Pepper and other pesty things back ourselves.  Comcast said FPL should trim,and FPL said it would be at least 6 weeks before they could even put us on a waiting list...I thought I would go nuts!  I assume you discuss actual ancient books,like Caesar's Gallic Wars or plays by Plautus,not books ABOUT classical times.  I'd have to think on that one.  I only read them in the original Latin or Greek,so I don't know what I would want to dig into.  I'm sure there is a lot!  I will think about it when I am not reading The Tempest.
Lorac 625

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2012, 01:30:04 PM »
Lorac, this is a relatively new discussion, but the idea was to read the original classics in translation.  It's ongoing but not continuous--we have a new discussion at intervals.  In addition to the Plutarch selections and Greek plays, we read The Odyssey, and if Ginny can ever make time in her busy Latin schedule, we will do The Aeneid.  We did the Iliad some years ago.  It's too bad you weren't here for the Greek plays--different texts were so different, it would have been great to have someone who had read the original.  Aside from the pleasure of reading the plays, I was surprised at how much there was to learn about background and conventions--it changed my thinking about the time.

We would love to have your input about possible choices for next time.

Lorac625

« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
I have read the Aeneid in Latin,and it is a wonderful book in Latin or translation. it would be a good reread.
    I think the thing I most hated reading in the original was anything NT by Paul- aside from being a misogynist,he was just not a pleasant person! If I hadn't already begun to turn away from Christianity by then,reading Paul would have done it!
Lorac 625

Babi

« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
 Poor Paul.  A pity not all our 'saints' are gentle, kindly souls like Mother Theresa.  Think how difficult it must be to be
an ordinary human of whom so much is expected.  The hermits probably had the easiest job of it. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Lorac625

« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2012, 01:15:16 PM »
That's why I emulate them.  Returning to my cell...
Lorac 625

Babi

« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
 Uh-huh. Beautiful photo, LORAC.  How old were you then?  ::)   :D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Lorac625

« Reply #249 on: September 29, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »
Actually,the photo was taken by my son when he was 10,(he hated the fact that as a small and short child he couldn't take good pictures of adults,so he took this while I was tying my shoes)- that's 6 years ago.  I have gotten a little grey,and went back to glasses instead of contacts and reading glasses, but at 53, I look much the same.
      I really enjoyed what little I have read of Julius Caesar. (Yes,"Gaul is divided in three parts...). Don't think much of him personally or politcally,but he was good at writing,I thought.
Lorac 625

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #250 on: September 29, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »
Glad to know he could count to three, also. ;)

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2012, 10:35:04 AM »
And that he was clever enough also in 45 BC to reform the calendar   which was used by the entire world thereafter:  in Russia until 1919, in the current Greek Orthodox Church, and  in England until 1752,  when the Gregorian calendar was adopted in that country.  The  modern calendar is still essentially Julian and is used for dates preceding 1582.

He was also clever enough to invent something that in 2012 people still use every time they get in any kind of motorized  vehicle and go anywhere on the public streets.

He managed to build a bridge across the Rhine, using materials at hand, and  the structure was of incredible dimensions, and strong enough to move an army across.

Too bad he was assassinated, his plans also included draining the Pontine marshes, and building housing complexes over what had been  an unhealthy swamp,  cutting thru the Isthmus of Corinth to join the Ionian and Aegean Sea, to open wide roads across the Apennines, to dig a canal from the Anio and the Tiber to the sea, to rebuild Carthage and Corinth, to establish public libraries in Rome, to revise the code of Roman Law of the Twelve Tables (which needed it) to a simpler form, and many many  others.

Even Caesar's enemies considered him a brilliant man, and in natural talent, one of the most remarkable men who ever lived. He was a "military genius, an orator, a statesman, an historian, an astronomer, an engineer, a poet, a grammarian, and even an horticulturist."   (Warsley) And, of course, an author. He also wrote a book of grammar and one of jokes but they have not come down to us.

I'm a major Caesar fan, I wonder if you can tell? :)

Dana

• ::
« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
Hooray for Julius Caesar.  I'm with you all the way, Ginny, another Caesar fan.

Babi

« Reply #253 on: October 01, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »
 I'm greatly impressed.  I've always had respect for Julius Caesar, but knew nothing of the plans he had for the
future.  It is a pity he didn't have a chance to do some of those things.  I don't think he could have done them
all in one lifetime.  Just opening roads across the Apenines would have made a tremendous difference, and of
course, we all would rejoice in the public libraries.  But why the teaser about 'something' he invented that every
driver still uses, GINNY?   What was it?!  ???

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: October 01, 2012, 08:21:41 AM »
:) I'll never tell, unless somebody guesses. It's one of the Food for  Thought  items we do in Latin.  If it's guessed, I'll tell.

Frybabe

« Reply #255 on: October 01, 2012, 08:46:34 AM »
Babi, I don't know who invented them, but we owe the odometer to the Romans, as well as an improved axle for wagons. While they didn't invent roads, they came up with an improved way to make roads by layering stone and gravel under the top layer for strength and to improve drainage; methods we still use today.  They also devised a suspension system for their wagons.

Babi

« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2012, 08:33:44 AM »
  Did FRYBABE identify it, GINNY?   How about maps?  Weren't they used before Caesar's time?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: October 03, 2012, 06:52:06 PM »
;) No but the answers here are very clever indeed. Not the one I'm referring to, but very good.

That's a good question on the maps, Babi.

The Greeks attributed the earliest maps of the inhabited world to Anaximander in the 6th c. BC.

In Rome under the Empire maps were pretty commonplace, mentioned by many Roman writers, and added to by the builders of the Roman roads. In Augustus's reign a map of the empire was displayed in  public. Geographical knowledge at that time was widespread.

That's not the invention, however. :) Good guesses.

Babi

« Reply #258 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:08 AM »
  Not surprised to learn that, GINNY.  In my mind, the waging of war, which seems timeless and universal, would surely
require detailed maps for the strategists.  Before they were possible, one just relied on the observations of scouts and
spies.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #259 on: October 04, 2012, 02:11:47 PM »
Are you talking about "cement"?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #260 on: December 04, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »
we've talked about reding Herododus here. Now we don't have to. Join us for "Travels with Herododus" in January.

Lisa Mc

« Reply #261 on: December 17, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »
Hi everyone, I just joined SL a couple of days ago.  I found it while surfing for some resources to revive a VERY rusty knowledge of Latin.  I'd like to hop on board for the "Travels with Herodotus" discussion in January.  I'll check back!
“What she was finding also was how one book led to another, doors kept opening wherever she turned and the days weren't long enough for the reading she wanted to do.”
~Alan Bennett, The Uncommon Reader

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »
Happy to hear that, Lisa - We'll be looking out for you!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »
Wonderful. it has its own discussion here.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=143.0

Come and say hello if you want.

kidsal

• Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2013, 05:50:28 AM »
Did we run out of the classics???

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
Not at all. I'm kind of considering "Travels with Herototus" as our classic for awhile. Some are reading the original, along with the "Travels" book.

But once that's over, we'll be back to picking a selection. Any ideas?

JudeS

« Reply #266 on: January 14, 2013, 09:34:21 PM »
Can we lighten up a bit with "The Birds" by Aeschylus? A Comedy written in 414 BCE in which the seeds of satire, and  to a certain extent, the start of Sci-Fi and/or fantasy appear.

Perhaps the light hearted approach is wrong for you but I certainly need a laugh to battle off the freezing weather, my flu
ridden body and achy bones.

I would love to put this play on my brand new NOOK which is waiting in sad silence for  something to opoen its screen and start it on it's journey of bringing me pleasure and knowledge.

Frybabe

« Reply #267 on: January 15, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
Oh, Judi, I'm sorry to hear you have the flu. With all the news about it saying it is an epidemic, you are actually the first person I know that actually got it. We must be in a pocket, here, that hasn't been hit or hit hard yet. My Dr's. office hasn't even been inundated yet. Get well soon!

Babi

« Reply #268 on: January 15, 2013, 10:22:50 AM »
 So sorry to hear you have the flu, JUDE.  The cold weather and achy bones are trouble
enough without being ill on top of it.  (Our situation here is somewhat complicated by the
fact that my daughter is very warm-blooded, and possibly in menopause, and is usually
complaining that it's too warm!)
   Your suggestion of "The Birds" sounds good to me.  I'm all in favor of something with
lightness and fantasy in the chill of winter.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #269 on: January 15, 2013, 03:34:26 PM »
Poor Jude! But you picked the right time to get the flu, if you have a new Nook. Is this your first e-reader? If it's like my kindle, you will find that classic literature is free or almost free on it. Have a ball loading up on the Greeks and Romans, Shakespeare  and just about any other work of literature your heart desires for almost nothing.

A warning: most classics offer several differant versions, and some are better than others. I usually get at least samples of several, and try them out, both for translation, AND for the transcription to e-book. Some of the latter are really clunky. If it's an anthology, it's worth paying a few dollars more to get an electronic table of contents.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »
Going to get "The Birds", and look at it. I'm up for it, but I have to see how it fits into our schedule. I don't want to take away from our regular monthly selections. I wouldn't be able to do it in February, as I'm having a minor procedure that might sideline me for a couple of weeks.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #271 on: January 16, 2013, 01:43:34 PM »
You know how to rope me in, Jude, calling The Birds sci-fi.  I've got some plays of Aristophanes; I'll take a look at it.

We're already familiar with the structure and conventions of Greek Drama (of course we all remember everything  ;) ) so we might as well use our knowledge.

Frybabe

« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
It has been quiet on this discussion for a while.

I've been looking for a classic to suggest for future reading this fall or winter. In the process, I came across something interesting. Homer wasn't the only ancient who wrote about the fall of Troy. His pupil, Arctinus of Miletus, wrote an account as did a fellow by the name of Lesches. None or almost none of these survive. I ran across all this when researching Quintus Smyrnaeus and his account. Smyrnaeus wrote his Fall of Troy much, much later (guesses range from the 2nd to rth century AD).

Anyhow, back to my hunt. We could always go for more Plutarch. If I remember correctly, we did some Greeks but haven't discussed any Romans yet. Right now I feel like something humorous, though.

addendum: Here is our original list from way back in 2011, not including the Odyssey and Antigone which we already did.

The Lives of the Noble Grecians and Romans Plutarch (c.46 A.D.- c. 120 A.D.)

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius

"The Twelve Caesars"  Suetonius

"Lysistrata" Aristophanes

"The Golden Ass" - Lucius  Apuleius  

"The Aeneid" Virgil  

"Poetics" Aristotle  (384-322 B.C.)

"Aesop's Fables" Aesop  (c. 550 B.C.)

"On Old Age" Cicero  (106-43 B.C.)

"Metamorphoses" Ovid  (43 B.C.- 18 A.D.)

"The Persian Book of Kings" Shahnamek

Epic of Gilgamesh

Frybabe

« Reply #273 on: July 12, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »
Okay. Comedy. Aristophanes - take your pick. He wrote a bunch. Someone had suggested The Birds; I would add The Frogs.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #274 on: July 12, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Sounds good. Let me get them and see what I think.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #275 on: July 12, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »
Back to the drawing board.  I agree; it's time to work on the next discussion.  Two people have suggested Aristophanes, so I'll take a look.  (Yes, I know, I said that in January.)  But comedy seems appealing.

Lysistrata is out for good.  It's very funny, and has lots of good discussion points, but it's WAY too raunchy for this site.  It's about the most x-rated thing I've read in some years, certainly violates the rules for the site.

Plutarch: actually, we did three Romans--Pompey, Antony, and Cicero--and no Greeks.  There's lots more material left.  Plutarch is a lot of work, but it pays off, as we found out last time.

The Aeneid: anytime we can snag Ginny to take an active part we should do it, but I don't see that happening in the near future.  It shouldn't be done without her.

The other suggestions stand just where they did, and we're always open to more ideas.

What does everyone think?

Poppaea

« Reply #276 on: July 21, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »
Now I must read Lysistrata - I just will have to keep it to myself!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
 ;D

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2013, 04:31:30 PM »
Hepeskin, what would you suggest for reading here?

Poppaea

« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2013, 06:40:31 PM »
PatH: I am not sure - I am not really familiar with the Greek comedies but I recall from college days having read, "The Frogs." I do not recall what it was about but it might be fun to read it so many years later.