Author Topic: The Library  (Read 196537 times)

maryz

• Z's World
Re: The Library
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 10:35:27 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat always out.
Do come in and join us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not) right now.

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

jane, I'm getting e-mail notifications about new postings, and I'd rather not get them.  I keep changing various things in my profile, but obviously I haven't hit the right one yet.  :-\ Please help.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 02:50:42 AM »
Hi,Mary...

Untick and unsubscribe here:

Profile/ Notifications and Email

Then click on Save Settings.

jane

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 06:48:49 AM »
Thanks, jane! 

And Merry Christmas to all!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »
How great to be back in the library. I have been gone probably for a year and it is nice to get back. Hooray. I am always knee deep in books and just now had a birthday and got two new ones that I am looking forward to.. The Michael Chabon..of the jewish policeman in Alaska and the newest Carolyn Chute..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Gumtree

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »
I would like to nominate Love in the Time of the Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Since about a month I have watched that movie a few times it is so good. I have not read the book yet, but I will.

This author is a Nobel Prize winner. We discussed his "One Hundred Years of Solitude" on the old site as Joan P mentions.

Hi! Gumtree, long time no see, it's good to see you again, what have you been up to?

Hi Eloise - Isn't it great to be back again - I really missed everyone and the chatter about books, books and books but in another context I was thinking about you in particular a couple of weeks ago.

We went to see the Met's Damnation of Faust   HD screening at the movies and as you mentioned attending the Met's previous HD productions  I wondered whether you had seen the Faust as well - and what you thought of it. I had mixed feelings  - the tenor was pretty wooden but OK-  Susan Graham was great - but I found the background 'virtual world' rather intrusive in that it tended to distract me from the music and Berlioz' brilliant orchestration... if you did see it, what did you think? I guess this is Off -topic - sorry folks.

I haven't seen the Marquez film but have read the book and think it would make a great discussion. Nobel Prize and all that aside, the man can really write.

It's 12.02 am - so already it's Christmas Day here

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »
Annie, I thought all men loved batteries!  ::)    Be sure and let us know how things go in January.

"MERRY CHRISTMAS!****
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

GinnyAnn

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2008, 11:28:04 PM »
Followed the link that jane sent me and here I am in the library.  :)  Currently I am reading two fiction books. The first is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It is the book that set off the teenage frenzy of reading. There is also the movie of the same name.  The book is okay, a bit one dementional. Since I am into edgy, and Twilight isn't all that edgy for me, I am also reading Carla Neggers' Cold Pursuit. It is a much edgier read that the Meyer's book. However, I do plan on finishing her book.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2008, 11:15:09 AM »
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »
Welcome to all the people coming in for the first time.

Cannot stop for long since all my family will be here this afternoon for Christmas Dinner and I am in the process of cooking it.  There will be at least 30 of us.

Merry Christmas to All!!
Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Phyll

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2008, 12:55:31 PM »
I'm reading Donna Leon's "Suffer the Little Children".  I enjoy her Commissario Guido Brunetti very much.  I read some where once that the Maigret mysteries by Georges Simenon were the "thinking man" mysteries.  I like to think of the Leon (Brunetti) mysteries as the "thinking woman" mysteries.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanuakkah to All

phyllis

Deems

« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2008, 01:24:34 PM »

Merry Christmas to all from me and the Jack Russell terriers, who both got presents.

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »
Any chance of getting The Story of Civilization going again?

Do you think we could get Robbie over here?

Hope everyone is having (has had?) a wonderful Christmas (Happy Holiday?)

Brian

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2008, 02:54:50 PM »
My daughter (who is way past teen-ager-hood) is addicted to Stephanie Meyer. It's not my cup of tea, though.

EvelynMC

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2008, 03:34:02 PM »
Hi Everyone!

It is wonderful to be back and read all your posts.  I have really missed discussing books and finding out what you all are reading.  Just received the email today informing me of this site.  Thank you, thank you for starting this up.

I have been reading a lot of mysteries and light fiction.  I just read the Hound of the Baskervilles as that was going to be discussed on the old SN website and in the same volume is "A Study in Scarlett" which I just started yesterday afternoon.  But then our company came, so I will possibly be able to get back to it tomorrow.  I had never read it before and it tells of how Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson met, took rooms together, and now their first mystery together is about to begin.  I am enjoying it.

Anyway, good to be back.  Merry Christmas to everyone.  This is the best Christmas present!!  By the way, I changed my user name from Evelyn133 to EvelynMC.

Evelyn

Persian

« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2008, 03:54:27 PM »
Although I just posted this message in one of the other Books sites, I thought I'd include it here, too, in case I missed anyone.

I'm laughing about a phone call from my son in Germany a few minutes ago.  When I answered, he said "MOM, I can't access SeniorNet.  What did YOU do?"  Although David (fondly known as "Chaps" in the former SN) has been busy with his duties as a Special Forces Army Chaplain, he was fully aware of my "second family" at the former SN and was startled when he tried to check in (as he used to do occasionally) and was unable to access the former SN site. 

I calmed him down and explained the latest news.  He listened, but then wanted to know "what about all those really great photos the SN folks always posted?  And what about the Books discussion? How could anybody cancel such an active Books group?"  When I heard his voice change, I instantly replied "Stand Down, Chaplain!  Help is already on the way."

Many of us who were notified about the new sites have already expressed our gratitude for the new ones, but I thought you might get a chuckle that the 82nd Airborne is also relieved to know that there has been a "deliverance" and we are able to enjoy sharing our Books discussions again.  During David's two deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan a few years ago, he (and many of his soldiers) knew that SN folks were keeping them in prayers.  It meant a lot to them then and still does.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2008, 08:15:24 AM »
 What a great story, Mahlia, thank you for posting it and WOW what dazzling conversation and super books mentioned here,  I love the range of books mentioned and the sparkling conversation about them.

I can't find Cub Fan's post but I did want to say: Preston and Childs? Love them, just absolutely addicted to them, everything they say positively about them is true. Brilliant, compulsive reading, you can't stop, you just can't stop. The perfect books (especially the Pendergast series) to take  you away from any situation you'd like to get out of including long airport waits. :)I guess you could call them escapist reading, Michael Crichton type stuff, always with a scientific background (they used to put a coda at the end of the books relating it to current findings, they've quit that in the latest ones).

I didn't realize Pendergast WAS a series! That was news to me. I  had read Relic years ago and Reliquary and loved them both (am a fool for books with a mystery  about the inner workings of museums, etc. and one of the two worked in the Museum of Natural History in NYC so their books always seem authentic), but just read The Wheel of Darkness.

In the forward they mention that even tho it is a series it's not necessary to read them in order, and I thought SERIES? There are MORE of them?

So then I read Dance of Death, talk about reading things backwards!

LOVE IT!@

Type of plot: Mysterious box sent by ocean liner from Egypt to museum, etc., love it. What's in it, museum decides to do a grand opening, shades of Relic again without all the blood. (Relic and Reliquary are kind of hard to read tho both based on fact which surprised me) but as they go in the series they get so much less gory.

HERE is the series!

RELIC
Reliquary
Cabinet of Curiosities
Still Life with Crows
Brimstone - Part One of the Diogenes Trilogy
Dance of Death - Part Two of the Diogenes Trilogy
Book of the Dead - Part Three of the Diogenes Trilogy
The Wheel of Darkness

So I'm going to start with Brimstone, which I have not read, read the rest and then start over with Relic.

AND!!! There's a new Pendergast about to come out this summer! YES!  Here's their website and one can read a couple of chapters of some of the  books: http://www.prestonchild.com/books/index.html

So tho I have Ice Limit I'm going to start over and lose myself in Relic, as the same characters emerge in The Wheel of Darkness and you are so glad to find out what happened to them.

I am glad to find another enthusiast!

Phyll this is my first PD James, would you ask your husband which of hers he liked the best? I'll try it next.

Gum, we get those here, the Met are they simulcasts?  We get live roadcasts in theaters, but you saw it on HD? I have not seen  Faust in AGES! Audiences are funny about things like that. I drove 250 miles once to see Aida, and the principal woman was just out of this world, her voice, but such a prima donna, she sulked and pouted thru the curtain calls, actually shooting the audience awful looks just because they applauded more for the ....tenor? Can't remember but I remember her sulking, she needs to get over that while people still want to clap.

By contrast the  production of Spamalot which some of us saw for our 10th Anniversary Bookfest in NYC this past September had a woman with the most glorious voice I have ever heard, just soaring, but she got almost nothing in the way of applause next to Clay Aiken, whose own verbal performance was nothing like hers, and she was gracious about it. What a voice!

Brian, so glad to see you here. [In Edit] I have heard from Robby and I think, as EF Benson said, we may be encouraged to hope as regards  The Story of  Civilization and Robby.  More later!  :D

I used to read Donna Leon, back when you could not GET here here in paperback, now I'm glad to see she's everywhere, her books have a certain ambiance I don't see in others, but it's been a long time since I read her.

Have also got the new MC Beaton, this one's about a poisoned jam pot, sounds lke her first one, huh? Still am hooked on her Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth series, never miss one.

AND White Tiger! Will discuss that one in the Book Club Online, everybody come on over there and what did YOU get for the holidays, tell all!

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't? What are YOU reading?? What was in YOUR holiday gift box?

CubFan

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2008, 09:34:47 AM »
Greetings Ginny - -

I was post 32 - Rushing my way through On the Hunt.   I did finish the book. Had plenty of time as the snow and slippery roads kept me home this week.  Hopefully Sunday will get to pass it on.   

Also had time to watch Book TV and will now order Lincoln President Elect by Holzer and Alphabet Juice by Blount.  In the meantime have five other books started - all non fiction that I digest in small portions.  Need to find some new fluff/no brainers for dessert. 

In the meantime, I hear the plows coming through again - so time to move some more snow.  It's a good thing I like to read as that provides good recovery from the almost daily physical activity. 

So wonderful to know that the communication lines are open again between readers. I enjoy hearing about what others are reading and getting new ideas.    Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Phyll

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2008, 09:48:56 AM »
Ginny, Tom liked the The Lighthouse by P.D. James and I remember him being engrossed when he read The Black Tower, so he must have liked that one.

We share your liking for M.C. Beaton, Hamish more than Agatha.  I find myself getting a bit out of sorts with Agatha often.  Also, I am beginning to get a little irritated with Beaton and her growing "bashing" of Scots and Scotland.  We love the country and the people there.  Don't know why she keeps putting it down so much but maybe she is just trying to keep the tourists from overrunning that beautiful country.
phyllis

Frybabe

« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2008, 10:20:13 AM »
Ginny, funny you should mention Preston and Childs. I had never heard of them before one of my co-workers gave me "Ice Limit" to read. I had heard of "Relic" (the movie) though. Anyhow, I got Ice Limit, and he got my Elizabeth Moon, Vatta series to read. When he is done with the Vatta series, they will go to my sister.

I am beginning to feel like a mini library. Not only did my Raj Quartet disappear, but now I can't find my "Bookseller of Kabul". I am going to have to start writing down to whom I lend books.

Aside from "Ice Limit", I am reading "Woman Warrior" by Maxine Hong Kingston. "Lost Christianities" is started but has been neglected of late. Just finished "A Thousand Splendid Suns".

Babi

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2008, 10:38:31 AM »
Goody!  More new names to add to my list of authors.  I missed that, too.
Just finished an Anne Perry, one of the William Monk series.  She is always good!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2008, 02:42:05 PM »

The Library

Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat always out.
Do come in from the cold and join us.  

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not) right now.

Let the book talk begin here!

Everyone is welcome!

Wonderful to sit and read all the posts - and about books!  I have so missed this in my life lately.

Ginny, you paid to have this site?  What can we each contribute if we so desire?  I would very much lilke to help as this is such a great place to relax and enjoy conversation; yes, we do feel as though we are conversing with friends.

Let me know.

PEDLIN, I got the book you mentioned, THE WORST HARD TIME, by Timothy Egan and, although, we all have heard of the Dust Bowl I don't think we realize how terrible it was, the ferocity of the storms.  On one Sunday, Black Sunday, April 14, 1935, the storm carried twice as much dirt as was dug out of the earth to create the Panama Canal.  The Canal took seven years to dig; the sorm lasted a single afternoon.

Pace yourself, Ella.  I keep telling myself that, knowing full well I cannot read fast enough for all these books on my list.

But I am so happy to hear of the new M.C.Beaton book; I, too, have been a fan for years.

JoanG, what does one cook for 30 people? 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2008, 03:31:10 PM »
Phyll, that Donna Leon title sounds intriguing.  I have liked many of  her other Brunettis.  And I think I share your feelings about Agatha --  Raisin?  Hamish is fine, but leave Agatha at home.  I remember bits and pieces about the PD James’ that I’ve read.  Liked the Lighthouse – Inspector Adam D has a girlfriend now?  There’s another one where he goes back to his boyhood school, solves a crime there.  And what is the title of the one about murder at a publishing house – that’s an early one.

OK Ginny, I think now I’m beginning to get it – Preston and Childs are the authors of a series called Pendergast.  And they’re (the books) are all mysteries about museums?  Sounds terrific.

I was wishing for one book and got three – a Jonathan Kellerman, a Debra Ginsberg – am not familiar with her at all, and I don’t remember either title (they’re downstairs right now.)  But the one I’ll start first --- Fieldwork, by Mischa Berlinski.  Any why is the name Mischa Berlinski so familiar.    He’s a journalist, and this is his first book. (2007) Takes place in Thailand. The blurb was not familiar, the interview I read last night was not familiar.  At first I thought I she’s (but he’s a he, as DIL pointed out) the one who wrote The Camel Bookmobile, but that’s my MASHA Hamilton.  But MISCHA has a sister who is also a novelist.  Ah, a conundrum.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2008, 03:33:57 PM »
JoanG, what does one cook for 30 people? 

Hi Ella,
Well I served a 15 lb turkey, cornbread dressing,a ham.mashed potatoes, broccoli casserole, macaroni and cheese, sweet potato casserole greenbean casserole.creamed corn casserole, asparagus casserole, several pies and a cake.  I did not cook it all myself.  I only cooked the turkey, the broccoli caserole, corn bread dressing, the mashed potatoes,and a couple of the pies.  My kids brought the rest of it.  Most all of that food was eaten as we have several teen age boys and they really can eat.  Oh my this way off the topic of books but needless to say I have had very little time for books in the last few days.  But it was worth all that I put into it because we had a fabulous time.

Joan Grimes

GinnyAnn

« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2008, 03:39:50 PM »
I hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas or Hanukkah. Have a good Boxing Day to those who observe it. 

Phyll

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »
I couldn't think of it, Pedlin, so finally resorted to Google.  "Innocent House" and the publishing company was Peveral Press.  That was a good one.  It was a t.v. presentation on Masterpiece Mystery several years ago.  Roy Marsden will always personify Adam Dalgliesh, IMO.  Too bad he quit playing that part.  I can't even remember the actor's name who played A.D. in the last Masterpiece Mystery I saw but he didn't fit the part.

Good gracious, Joan G.  You must be exhausted today!
phyllis

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »
Good gracious, Joan G.  You must be exhausted today!
Hi Phyll,

Yes I am exhausted today.  I don't think I have ever been as tired as this in my whole life.  Put I will make it fine and it was such fun while it was going on.  It really was worth all the tiredness.

Joan Grimes

Gumtree

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2008, 12:35:35 AM »
Joan Grimes: You're right about the tiredness - It's well worth it not only for you but for the family who will carry the memory of the day for years to come. I was tired too after our day, though we didn't have 30 and because it's summer here the food was served cold with salads - even so it's a big effort but the fun and laughter and later, the deep and earnest  conversations all combine for lasting memories - luckily everyone pitches in to help (or else!) Love it.

Gumtree

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2008, 01:17:38 AM »
Ginny: Bah! Humbug! I wanted White Tiger but didn't get it - will have to treat myself.

I don't read many mysteries but am a sucker when they come onto TV - I never could read Agatha but watch the series even though I get annoyed sometimes - saw one last night which was pretty star-studded with actors we all know and love including June Whitfield ( a long time favourite of mine)- Charles Dance (Jewel in the Crown)- and would you believe Anthony Andrews - he of Sebastien fame in Brideshead. He's no longer the golden boy but has maintained that air of superiority he does so well - he's taller than I thought and carries himself well...

I'm going to look for one of the museum mysteries - Prendergast? series by Preston and Child ?- my tame librarian will probably have a coronary when I check it out...

I've been given a new Morte d'Arthur - edited by John Matthews with modern English orthography. It's well illustrated too with paintings and black and white drawings by Anna-Marie Ferguson (of whom I've heard but know little). It runs to 1000 pages and is heavy to hold - I guess I'll read it but I do love Mallory's classic text. An accompanying volume is more intriguing - it's again John Matthews The Grail, A Secret History  which traces the 'idea' of the Grail throughout history. Glossy paper, beautifully illustrated with art and artifacts dealing with the symbology of the Grail throughout the ages...As you would guess. Matthews is something of a Grail scholar and has an easy-to-read writing style. I think I'll enjoy this one.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2008, 09:31:45 AM »
ahaha Cub  Fan, at least our jinx is working, Mary and I have this THING where I always attribute something, usually wrong,  to her, I thought about that for days! hahahaaa before putting it here.  Should have done a SEARCH, the SEARCH works here!! YAY!!

At least you all know you stick in the memory! I am interested in hearing what you think of  Alphabet Juice by Blount, I watch Book TV when I can tho it took me ages to realize it's only non fiction (why is that?)

I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the way when I am typing this in the compose box I can SEE you all below! Yes all of your posts, I love it. But even so, I have to mess Cub Fan up just for old times sake (or something!) hahaaa

Joan G, what a mammoth dinner!!  and here I thought I cooked a lot! hahahaa However I was tired along with you, but definitely worth it.  hahaa

Phyll, thank you for the Lighthouse and Black Tower recommendations, I'll get them next.

Ella, I am so glad you are enjoying the site, I am, too, it's the marvelous conversation here, I've really missed that. There will never be an appeal for donations on this site nor any accepted, but I appreciate your spirit: the tuition of the Latin classes pays for the website  100 times and more over.

These websites are a lot cheaper to run than people realize.  The SMF software is free, all you need is a server, and we went with the best in the business, which the courses pay for. Of course we are dependent on the generosity of those who volunteer their incredible gifts, if we started paying salaries then we would need a lot more money. But we're so lucky here in so many ways,  for the gifts of talent given here:  thanks to ALL of you!

And we've got the best readers in the business so how can we not go anywhere but UP??  I love it here.

I'd like to read The Worst Hard Time, too. That and the Irish potato famine have always been of great interest to me.

GUM!!
I've been given a new Morte d'Arthur - edited by John Matthews with modern English orthography. It's well illustrated too with paintings and black and white drawings by Anna-Marie Ferguson (of whom I've heard but know little). It runs to 1000 pages and is heavy to hold - I guess I'll read it but I do love Mallory's classic text. An accompanying volume is more intriguing - it's again John Matthews The Grail, A Secret History  which traces the 'idea' of the Grail throughout history. Glossy paper, beautifully illustrated with art and artifacts dealing with the symbology of the Grail throughout the ages...As you would guess. Matthews is something of a Grail scholar and has an easy-to-read writing style. I think I'll enjoy this one.

OK I want to hear about both of those as you go? Chapter by chapter, that sounds too delicious, love it!

On the Pendergast novels they are:

RELIC
Reliquary
Cabinet of Curiosities
Still Life with Crows
Brimstone - Part One of the Diogenes Trilogy
Dance of Death - Part Two of the Diogenes Trilogy
Book of the Dead - Part Three of the Diogenes Trilogy
The Wheel of Darkness

Those are the titles in order.  It's an acquired taste but I think YOU would love Pendergast,  and his private library and books such as you just wrote about. I loved The Wheel of Darkness and Dance of  Death, but the entire thing starts with Relic, which will scare  you to death. hahahaa

Hahaha Pedln, did I make a point? hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa What interesting books you got for Christmas, have not heard of any of them but would like to hear more, Camel Bookmobile? Thailand?

Thank you Ginny Ann and the same to you! One of my students in Ireland observed that the Irish call Boxing  Day St. Stephen's Day, I always learn something every time I come in here. Already!!

Babi, I agree, lots for our lists.

Speaking of lists, I read Bookmarks too (and have since we appeared in them), and they really have some books I would never have heard of, like: Death With Interruptions (the Saramago) and The English Major by Jim Harrison. Plot: Vivian leaves Cliff, her husband of 38 years, and takes most of the proceeds of their cherry farm, so he takes to the raod with an old geography jigsaw puzzle from this childhood and throws out one piece for every state he passes....I like the sound of that one.

Entertainment Weekly (I know I know) has ranked Olive Kitteridge as the third best book of the year.

So what are you reading? What are you going to buy with those B&N gift certificates, or what's on your table? What's the most guilty pleasure you have had in reading  lately? Has anybody read Rowling's latest about the Beadle?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2008, 09:36:02 AM »
Wow, Gumtree - do you have a TV series based on Agatha Raisin???  We've seen the BBC series based on Hamish MacBeth - got the three seasons' worth from Netflix, and loved them.

Steph

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
Bookmarks. I have gotten it ever since we were in it. I mark each copy with books I want to read with a star system. Then I know what is coming and if I want to read it. Used it as my Christmas and Birthday list this year. Our sons were amused , but realized Mom was serious about it. Our younger is a historian and he delivered to me a list of war history he was interested in and was delighted when I got some of them for him. Books are my very best present always.
Still reading the Alex Kava thing. It is about a serial killer working on killing off the priests involved as pedofiles. Very interesting in an odd sort of way.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

EvelynMC

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2008, 11:32:07 AM »
Hi Eveyone!

Thanks for the book recommendations.  I really missed having these suggestions for the past few months. I'm going to see if the local library has some of these when I go there on Monday.

Thanks, Ginny, for the list of Pendergast books.  I love a good, well written mystery, but don't know if I'm ready to be scared to death. ;)

Evelyn

Tomereader1

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »
Whichever book it was that they made the movie from (Relic or Reliquary - - I can't remember) the book is much, much better (isn't that always the case?) and they didn't do it justice.   The book is much more suspenseful and frightening.  I guess I can read all this "scary stuff" because when I was young and went to the movies with my Mom, if I got scared she would say "It's only a movie, it's not real" and I must, subconsciously, follow that tenet to this day.  The only time I didn't was when I saw "Psycho" for the first time, and I was scared to death.  Still can't watch that movie!

Joanne
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2008, 12:19:27 PM »
I just LOVE LOVE LOVE the way when I am typing this in the compose box I can SEE you all below! - Ginny

Me, too.  Isn't technology wonderful?

I would love to be "scared" so I will try the Preston and Childs books when I finish about 8 books on the list.

The nonfiction book, THE WORST HARD TIME, was a National Book Award winner and is very good; it would make an interesting discussion.

You didn't know, GINNY, that Book TV was nonfiction?  Okay, you don't turn on TV much apparently.  I don't either anymore, except in the evening to get the news.  All the programs seems to be the same and certainly are geared for younger people.  Occasionally there will be a good movie on.

Why  is Book TV nonfiction?  We could discuss that between us for quite awhile.  I remember, Ginny, years ago we differed in opinion about Brian Lamb who begat the program.  I still like him.

CubFan

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2008, 12:30:28 PM »
Greetings -

Does anyone know of a good writer of family dynasties?  Years ago I just loved the authors Taylor Caldwell and
Delderfield.  Barbara Taylor Bradford is the closest I've come but her books just don't hold me the same way the former authors did.  The Caldwell and Delderfield books took time to read and I felt had some depth to them.  Some of the John Jakes books - bicentennial and Civil War series - were good - others weren't as well done.  I looking for something fiction to sink my teeth into during the next couple of winter months and have enough non fiction going.

Yes, Ginny, our communication skills feel like "things are back to normal and all's right with the world".  How's your little grandson??  The holidays are such great fun with little ones around.

As to why Book TV is only nonfiction - I don't remember Brian Lamb's explanation.  But my personal thought is that since it is broadcast from Washington DC maybe the station decided that they deal with fiction 24/7 and were looking for an escape.  Kinda like the reverse of our reading fiction to escape reality.

Happy Holidays.  Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2008, 12:50:54 PM »
FUNNY, MARY!

An author is talking about Lincoln on Book TV today, but I don't have time to listen and must run.  There are more books about Lincoln on my Library shelves than any other person I believe!

Does anyone know what person holds the honor of being the most published personality?

This reminded me of a good book I finished a few months ago:

THE LAST LINCOLNS by Charles Lachman.

"This absorbing American tragedy tells the largely unknown story of the acrimony that consumed the Lincolns in the months and years that followed the president’s murder. This was not a family that came together in mourning and mutual sadness; instead, they fell out over the anguished mental condition of the widowed Mary. In 1875, Robert—the handsome but resentful eldest Lincoln child—engineered her arrest and forcible commitment to an insane asylum. In each succeeding generation, the Lincolns’ misfortunes multiplied, as a litany of alcohol abuse, squandered fortunes, burned family papers, and outright dissipation led to the downfall of this once-great family. "

Brian

• Brian's Den
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »
Thanks Ginny - - - it's good news to hear that Robbie has been in touch with "our" new
venue.  The Story of Civilization has been a subject for study by my peers for over six
years, and I shall be more than pleased to return to it.

I will send Robbie an email to let him know that if there is anything I can do to expedite
the return of the SOC discussion, I am willing to help.

Brian.

Persian

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2008, 03:08:31 PM »
BRIAN - I surely hope Robby will consider resuming SOC. I met Robby during one of his forays in Washington DC (my home for many years) many years ago and enjoyed participating in the early stages of the discussion.  When you contact him, give him best regards from all those of us who have enjoyed SOC and his wise (and sometimes wicked) comments through the years.

Mahlia

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2008, 04:33:10 PM »
I can only add to Mahlia's comment. tell Robby we can't stop now when so much is going on in civilization!

If you're investigatinf PD James, don't forget "An Unsuitable Job for a Woman". Both that detective (Cordelia Gray? My Senior memory strikes!) and Dagliesh led to BBC series. I confess, Dagliesh always irritates me for some reason, but the books are very good.

I haven't read much non-fiction lately. But I am reading "Manhunt: the 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer" by James L. Swanson. It's quite interesting.

Phyll

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2008, 05:01:01 PM »

If you're investigatinf PD James, don't forget "An Unsuitable Job for a Woman". Both that detective (Cordelia Gray? My Senior memory strikes!) and Dagliesh led to BBC series. I confess, Dagliesh always irritates me for some reason, but the books are very good.

You made me laugh, JoanK!  I agree with you....maybe because he is always brooding about something.  It would be nice if just once he would smile and tell a joke! 
phyllis