Author Topic: Talking Heads: Twenty Questions  (Read 43140 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Talking Heads: Twenty Questions
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »
Talking Heads #15 - Twenty Questions

This discussion will be open from September 19 through September 30.

Library Bar in Auckland NZ

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

TWENTY QUESTIONS

Remember '20 Questions' on TV or better yet, remember when we were very young Teens and we set up a black marble composition book to list our classmates 20 favorites  - Let's have some Teenage fun and share our favorites.

Your memory is probably chucked full but please just share one choice for each question. - Think, carrying your own luggage aboard a flight to a mountaintop or ocean isle - What do you pack?

Please keep the conversation in a separate post from the post where you simply with a few words list your answers to our 20 questions. I wonder how many new books and places we will learn from each other.

Here are our Twenty Questions...!

1.   What is your favorite fiction book?
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book?
3.   Who is your favorite author?
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter?
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot?
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?
16.   What is your favorite book blog?
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author?
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Talking Heads: Twenty Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
Don't you just love taking time to day dream about your favorite stories - with so many it is often hard to choose a favorite - I bet like me one day my favorite is this and the next day that - like snapping a photograph, on Monday I will list my favorites - gives us the weekend to scour our memories and bookshelves.

NO we are not going to be asking Animal, Vegetable, Mineral to guess our favorites - just an old fashioned chin wag about what it is that makes a book, an author and places to read our favorite.

Please, pull your computer closer and type away so we too can smile with the memory of your selections and maybe, just maybe, there will be a few selections that are new to us - and then we will want to hear all about it.

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Talking Heads: Twenty Questions
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »
What a great Talking Heads idea, Barb, and I’ll jump in with No. 4, as it is the only one I don’t have to think twice about.

4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?

Without a doubt, Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink, about a 19th century Wisconsin farm girl.  Make that “tomboy.”  Miss Lyons, our 4th grade teacher, read it aloud to the class, always stopping at a place that had us glued to our seats.  And every evening at dinner I regaled my family with all the exploits of Caddie and her brothers Tom and Warren.  And surely that farm must have been just down the road from my aunt and uncle up in Waupaca County.

Caddie was under the Christmas tree that year, and in the spring another aunt and uncle came to visit and, -- oh joy  how did they know -- brought me Magical Melons, her sequel.  Good, but not as good as the first one.

I don’t think I’ve ever revered or have had such good memories of a book as much as Caddie Woodlawn.  And I still occasionally repeat to myself Warren Woodlawn’s school program performance of “If at first  you don’t succeed, try, try again,” which came out as his siblings’ version of “If at first you don’t fricassee, fry, fry a hen.”

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
Well there is a new one for me - I am not familiar with Caddie Woodlawn - oh this will be fun - I wonder how many books will be favorites that will be new to us - What would be fun to hear about in a follow up post is when you were introduced and read Caddie Woodlawn - a bit about how old you were and if the book was a gift or was it borrowed from a library etc.

OK I need to do my list - I think I will simply copy and past the 20 questions and after each put my answer - it is the first question I am having the most difficult time choosing - Maybe that is it - the ones that I cannot decide I will simply write later and follow up later with my choice - OK here goes...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:41:25 PM »
1.   What is your favorite fiction book?   --- Risen of the Moon - William Martin
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book? ---   Ascent of Mount Carmel - St. John of the Cross
3.   Who is your favorite author?  --- Jean Giono
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?   --- Wind in the Willows
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?  --- A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?  --- Gigi - Colette
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter?  --- Curled up in the corner of my sofa
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot?   --- At the Breakfast Rm Table next to the double window so I can watch the deer.
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?  --- Masterpiece Theatre Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?  --- Myths and legends before time and during the first A.D. 8 centuries.

11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?  --- Trinity College Library, in Dublin
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?   --- The house where Dag Hammarskjöld was born at Liljeholmen in Jönköping, Sweden.
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?  --- Simca's Cuisine - Simone Beck
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?  --- (in taters)  A World of Good Eating
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?   --- I hid a few from the Nuns, Peyton Place - what can I say...

16.   What is your favorite book blog?   --- Roses Over a Cottage Door  - http://rosesoveracottagedoor.blogspot.com/
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)   --- A Child's Christmas in Wales - Dylan Thomas
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author? "Men say they only learn this but he said that no creature can learn that which his heart has no shape to hold.— Cormac McCarthy
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?   --- When my daughter was about 7 in bed with Tonsillitis and we spent every minute of her waking day and evening reading an entire Honey Bunch Book.  
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?   --- Sister Rose Imilda in seventh grade read us the entire Longfellow's Evangeline - [/b]

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »
A couple of these were hard - if you asked me tomorrow I may have a different answer - but I tried to imagine I was choosing for that proverbial trip on a plane for  a small Island and the one book I just had to have with me would be or one author or whatever the question...

I did copy and past the questions from the heading but I had to go back and hit color for each question - and then to make them easier to read I put in a couple of spaces.

The books that were made into movies was a hard one - but I kept coming back to Gigi - if I can find it again the other day I found this great site that gave by year all the books that had been made into a movie since the 1940s - within recent years it is astonishing how many films were first in print.

Another that was so difficult was my favorite Children's book - oh me oh my - so many - more than even favorite fiction or non-fiction.

Well it will be fun to see a few more lists...

nlhome

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:20:22 PM »
I think I'll start backwards:
19. My favorite memory of reading to someone. I loved reading The Pokey Little Puppy to my first child, and we did that once a day for quite a spell. My second favorite memory is reading The BoxCar Children to all 3 of my children. The oldest was able to read by that time, but he joined us for that "chapter book" and listened as carefully as he used to when he was smaller.

20. My favorite memory of someone reading to me was when I was little and my Mom would sit down at lunch time, waiting for my father to come home for lunch (he worked right next door) and she would read to me. One book, highly un-politically correct now, I suppose, was about Little Black Sambo.

JudeS

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:31:28 PM »
Gee, each of these questions take much thought and leads us down memory lane.
Right now I can answer only the first two.
Favorite book:
Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevski

Favorite Nonfiction book:
Markings by Dag Hammerskold (For those who perhaps don't remember, he was the first head of the United Nations. He died in a very suspicous airplane accident.)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 04:17:38 PM »
nlhome the fond memories of reading to our children and then being read to by a parent - and the books we read and had read to us - oh my - as you say not exactly politically correct but I do not know about you, I never associated some of these children's characters with live people in current society even then - thank goodness - but I can see the wounds and that is painful and sad.

Jude how great to start at the beginning - the hard choices - did you read recently that they are really questioning the so called plane crash - looks like the stories we read of Greeks and Romans are still with us...

MaryPage

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »
1.   What is your favorite fiction book?  Emma by Jane Austen
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book?  The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan
3.   Who is your favorite author?  Jane Austen
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?  Anne of Green Gables
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?  need to finish Ulysses
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?  The Forsyth Saga
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter?  In my easy chair
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot?  the same
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?  Anne of Green Gables
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?  15th century
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?  Vatican
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?  Beatrix Potter
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?  Fanny Farmer's
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?  n/a
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?  no
16.   What is your favorite book blog?  n/a
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)  A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author?  the verse beginning with "Build Thee more stately mansions, O' My Soul", by Oliver Wendell Holmes
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?  Reading Charlie & The Chocolate Factory to my youngest and discovering all the older children were listening in
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?  My Dad reading Brer Rabbit from the Baltimore Sun 78 years ago

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
I couldn't even begin to answer most of those questions - so I'll just check in from time to time.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 05:46:43 PM »
1.  What is your favorite fiction book?  The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
2.  What is your favorite nonfiction book?  No favorite
3.  Who is your favorite author?  Alexander McCall Smith (presently)
4.  What is your favorite  children's book?  Anne of Green Gables (my copy is falling apart)
5.  What book have you intended to read but haven't yet?  Too many to list.
6.  What movie made from a book is your favorite?  The Bridges of Madison County
7.  What is your favorite place to read in winter?  My swivel rocker.
8.  Where is your favorite summer reading spot?  Same place.
9.  What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?  Anne of Green Gables
10.  What is your favorite time in history to read about?  20th century.
11.  What library any place in the world would you like to visit?  Library of Congress
12.  What author's house would you like to visit?  No preference
13.  What is your favorite cookbook?  The 1950 edition of the Betty Crocker cookbook.
14.  Over the years, what dessert cookbook did you use the most?  n/a
15.  Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?  No
16.  What is your favorite book blog?  n/a
17.  What is your favorite holiday book:  A Christmas Carol
18.  What is your favorite quote from an author?   Experience:  that most brutal of teachers.  But you learn, my God do you learn.  C. S. Lewis
19.  What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?  Reading to my attentive little grandson.
20.  What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?  My mother, not reading, but telling me bedtime stories.

salan

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »
Umm...I'm thinking, I'm thinking.
Sally

mabel1015j

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
This doesn't come up on "responses to your posts", or whatever it says, so i forget that it's coming up each month, thanks for posting in "mystery" Barb.

1.   What is your favorite fiction book? .......The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book?.......ohhh, so many - any women's history
3.   Who is your favorite author?
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?......all the Nancy Drew books
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?...the Longest Day
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter? In my bed
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot? On my patio
Can we take these one question one per week?  ;)

9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?

mabel1015j

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »
Sorry i can't delete the rest of the list on my ipad, or move down the list to answer. I'll continue the list here
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?.....The Dollmaker w/ Jane Fonda
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?.....18th century
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?.....Library of Congress
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit? .......None
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?.....Betty Crocker's Dinner for Two or the one i've put together for myself
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?......don't do desserts
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?....probably Peyton Place and Lolita

mabel1015j

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 08:46:18 PM »
I'm starting over ;D ;D. I'd like to hear you all talk a bit about your favorites. 

#1. I choose Prince of Tides because the emotion of the book just sucked me right in. I was anxious. I was scared. I laughed. I cried. I know some of you like other of Conroy's books better than Prince, but none of the others caught me in the same way.

#2. I've liked so many non-fiction. Doris Kearns Goodwin's No Ordinary Time, David McCollough's John Adams, Jared Diamond's Gun, Germs and Steel, and Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror, and as i said any women's history.

#3. Because i just finished a good book of hers, today it's Lisa Scottolini, Philadelphia mystery writer. Like Barbara, ask me next week it will bedifferent.

#4. Nancy Drew started me liking mysteries and she was a great role model for young girls.

More later......Jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
1.   What is your favorite fiction book? War and Peace
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book? Walden
3.   Who is your favorite author? ? Beston, Austen,
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book? Depends on age. Winnie the Pooh, Wizard of Oz
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet? Aeniad
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite? Pride and Predjudice
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter? My recliner
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot? Same
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite? Anne of green Gables No Contest.
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about? US, beginning of 20th century! So MUCH was happening then.
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit? Bodlean
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit? Austen
13.   What is your favorite cookbook? NA
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most? NA
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover? No. Too chicken.
16.   What is your favorite book blog? Seniorlearn, of course!
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author? Bader "A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single 'oye'". (Just kidding)
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone? Reading to my 2 year old son, just before I went to the hospital to have my daughter.
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you? My father reading us Mark twain every night at bedtime.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 09:41:37 PM »
Look at the differences already - wow - oh yes, Jane Fonda in the Dollmaker - that was a great interpretation wasn't it.

FlaJean, you and Marypage have the list making down - great -

Now that is two of us who want to visit the Library of Congress - oh yes, and the Vatican Library - that would be filled with the wonders of history -

Anna of Green Gables - another great story - we had a discussion for awhile on the old SeniorNet of reading children's books and when Harry Potter came along we even did the first three - then other books and reading became more important - But to this day if I am feeling antsy I will pull down one of my favorite children's books for a cozy and safe read - I alway know that the problems will not be so horrendous that I am torn up trying to come to terms with what I have read as compared to some adult books. Although, Watership Down was not a walk in the Park was it.

Jean I saw the movie, Prince of Tides but did not read the book - you are making a real good case for reading the book - wasn't that the story where a man broke into the beach house and they killed him and secretly hid the body never letting on to the authorities?

Now I have enjoyed several of her books - oh for the life of me can't think of her name but I have a couple on tape. I like listening to a novel on tape when I am on a long drive and a 15 hour book is just the right amount of time to drive from here in Austin to my Daughter's in NC.

And so you read Nancy Drew - interesting during my early teens I seemed to be into the lives of explorers and adventurers where as the series that I loved was when I was younger - for me it was the Bobbsey Twins.

Flajean I keep forgetting about The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis - I have been meaning to read the book and keep forgetting - Need to put it on my Amazon wish list.

Oh and MaryPage, yes, the Chambered Nautilus - we just have to have it - here goes...

This is the ship of pearl, which, poets feign,
  Sails the unshadowed main, --
  The venturous bark that flings
On the sweet summer wind its purpled wings
In gulfs enchanted, where the Siren sings,
  And coral reefs lie bare,
Where the cold sea-maids rise to sun their streaming hair.

Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;
  Wrecked is the ship of pearl!
  And every chambered cell,
Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell,
As the frail tenant shaped his growing shell,
  Before thee lies revealed, --
Its irised ceiling rent, its sunless crypt unsealed!

Year after year beheld the silent toil
  That spread his lustrous coil;
  Still, as the spiral grew,
He left the past year's dwelling for the new,
Stole with soft step its shining archway through,
  Built up its idle door,
Stretched in his last-found home, and knew the old no more.

Thanks for the heavenly message brought by thee,
  Child of the wandering sea,
  Cast from her lap, forlorn!
From thy dead lips a clearer note is born
Than ever Triton blew from wreathe`d horn!
  While on mine ear it rings,
Through the deep caves of thought I hear a voice that sings: --

Build thee more stately mansions, O my soul,
  As the swift seasons roll!
  Leave thy low-vaulted past!
Let each new temple, nobler than the last,
Shut thee from heaven with a dome more vast,
  Till thou at length art free,
Leaving thine outgrown shell by life's unresting sea!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »
JoanK you posted while I was typing away - my word - War and Peace - now that was a tome - Joan why is it your favorite - what is the attraction - when did you read it - and  ;)  ;) how in the world did you manage to say all those names or didn't you..?

Hehehe cooking was not your forte was it - or maybe you had all the recipes you ever needed in your head. And yes, a couple of winners - those children's books - I am telling you - so many memories are wrapped in children's  stories for ourselves in addition to when our children and grands were growing up.

hats

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 03:33:02 AM »
Gollee, I need my thinking cap. ??? Have printed out the questions. Now I'm going to try to think and remember the answers. I never know my favorite "anything." I could just use Julie Andrews' My Favorite Things" from Sound of Music. Okay, time to think. Shhhh....

Steph

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
Here are a few answers.
1. The Cheerleader by Ruth Doan Macdougal..Because I really thought she was writing my life.
2.  This stranger my son... biography by the Mother of a schizophrenic..
3. changes all the time, but just now.. Dennis Lehane
4. Misty of Chincoteague
5. now that is a long long list.
6. My Friend Flicka ( whew, years ago)
7. and 8... in my just right size lazy boy
9.  Years ago, there was a series.. Conrad Richters... The Woods, The trees, etc. About a family going west. I think the heroine might hve been Meredith Baxter Birney. Not sure.
10. Oh the English Kings and Queens.. so much foolishness
11. The library in the British Museum. Was there, but not nearly long enough
12. Agatha Christies in England.
13 . Two volume of Julia Child..
14. The Joy of Chocolate
15. No.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Steph

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 09:25:54 AM »
hmm, kept flickering, so the last ones 
16 . Seniorlearn
17. The Christmas Carol
18. no idea
19. Horton hears a who to my small granddaughter and my corgi at the time, both listening enthralled.. Kait had the thing memorized and I could not skip a word without much protest.
20. Thats interesting. I dont think anyone ever read to me.
Whew... now I am sure the answers would be different tomorrow or the next day, but there it is for today
Stephanie and assorted corgi

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
Great Steph - wow several books that are new to me - need to look up the Cheerleader - I am not familiar with the book or the author - And your dog is a Corgi - I did not know that - how much fun with so many stories written that include a corgi = ahum - the Queen's dogs - as I remember so too for Tasha Tudor and vaguely I am remembering a Walt Disney - something about a lost dog and the dog was a corgi.

So far we have a couple of folks who like The Christmas Carol but another new one for me is Misty of Chincoteaque - haha I love it - you like to read about the English Royalty because of so much foolishness - just love it - leave it to you Steph to bring an early morning smile.

I'm off to research these books you have introduced -  :)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »
1.   What is your favorite fiction book? Chesapeake and Alaska by James Michener.   I love historical fiction!

2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book? Devil in The White City by Erik Larsen
3.   Who is your favorite author? James Michener and many others who include Laurie King of the Mary Russell and Sherlock mysteries

4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?  Where the Wild Things Are
and most of Shel Silverstien's poetry

5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?  The Art of Racing in the Rain

6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?  Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter?  In the rocking chair in my office with the door closed.

8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot?  On my screened porch

9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite? The  Inspector Lynley mysteries by Elizabeth George

10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?  Victorian age

11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?  The Great Britain Library

12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?  Stephen King's

13.   What is your favorite cookbook? Irma Brombaur cook books

14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most? None

15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover? Yes
16.   What is your favorite book blog?  Bookmarks and Maryann McFadden

17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday) Dicken's Christmas Carol

18.   What is your favorite quote from an author?  No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thourghly persueded of each others worth". Its at the bottom of all my posts and the author is Robert Southey?  I don't know who RS is so I will be googling that momentarily.   :D  Well, Barbara, you will be glad to know that I have found a new poet for you to read.  Here's his bio:  http://www.poemofquotes.com/robertsouthey/

19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone? My 8yr old son became bored with the school reading program so he and I started reading out loud to each other; the Tolkein books with the first, The Hobbit.  We both caught each other reading ahead because we liked it so much.

20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?  MY grandmother used to read the poem "Who Killed Cock Robin" to us and cry over the poor robin.  Who could forget that?
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »
Here is the link to the Maryann McFadden web site that include the link to her blog -
http://www.maryannmcfadden.com/ I wonder how many other current authors have their own web site or their own blog - interesting Ann

And another I did not even know was made into a movie - Alice Hoffman's Practical Magic - did you enjoy it - was it close to the book or just a piece of the book?

Isn't it amazing how each of us has brought something new to our attention - this is great - we really need to create our own library from all of this - Ok that is a job for next week - to take the books mentioned and simply list them in probably alphabetical order.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2011, 10:18:22 AM »
Ann I KNOW this is NOT your favorite Bookmarks Blog but it is so much fun - her graphics are a riot.
http://pilesofwashing.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-bookmarks-aussie-bloggers.html

Now which of the many blogs called Bookmarks is the one you like to visit?There appears to be several

MaryPage

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2011, 10:23:33 AM »
One of my all-time favorite series of books also, Steph:  Conrad Richter's trilogy THE AWAKENING LAND, consisting of The Trees, The Fields, and The Town.  Unlike you, however, I hated the television films.  They just did not present the books the way my mind's eye saw them.  Neither the settings nor the cast seemed right to me.  I have yearned for another group to come along and do them ever since.  But ah, those splendid books!  A JOY to read.

Love Horton Hears A Who, as well.

Because I actually live on the Chesapeake Bay (right on it) and also spend a lot of time on the Eastern Shore near where Michener stayed while researching the book, I nit-picked a lot of little and a few big boo boos in Chesapeake.  We all did.  Par for the course, I expect.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 10:25:18 AM »
Barb,
We were posting together!  My author of that quote is Robert Southey and here's his bio:  http://www.poemofquotes.com/robertsouthey/ He is another poet for you to discuss on the poetry site.
Will now look into your link!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »
Ann thanks much for the link - reading the bio it appears his friend, Coleridge and his wife had a house full of friends living with them - I wonder how that worked out - sometimes it is hard enough to live with family much less a couple of friends - maybe it was a big rambling house...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 10:48:07 AM »
MaryPage I had not read any of Conrad Richter's books however reading his bio and brief explanation of his books it sounds like he is another I need to make time to read. Another who saw and wrote about what destructive forces are changing this nation - and now we know the change is no easy matter to reverse. I kinda remember when 'Light in the Forest' was a big seller. Wasn't that made into a movie - sorta remembering Fess Parker.

JudeS

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
Mabel
-I too love Pat Conroy. His last book, "South of Broad" is  simply wonderful! Does it beat out "Prince of Tides?
It's so different and yet it has that Conroy touch that hits you in the gut.

MaryPage

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »
Barbara, that trilogy is simply NOT to be missed in one's lifetime;  so get busy!  It is still in print and easily obtainable in paperbacks.

As I remember it, it is the story of a young girl who goes with her family out into the deep forests (The Trees) to be among the very first to settle what later became Ohio.  In the second book, she is older and the forests become The Fields.  I remember well that in the final book, The Town, she winds up a very fiesty old lady.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
Several of you wanted to visit the Library of Congress.  I went to college in DC, and when I did a term paper on the Norse settlements in Greenland, I used some of the material there.  It was really exciting.  I got to look up all these obscure Danish archaeology journals (mostly in English, fortunately) and read them at one of the desks in that huge round reading room.  I forget whether I could reserve the same desk, but once they had fetched your material, which took a day or so, they would keep it for you for 3 days, and you could come back and use it whenever you wanted.  It felt really good to have the right to use this splendid resource, in such a splendid setting.

Later, local high school students started overrunning the place, and the LOC cracked down.  By the time my daughter went to high school, you had to be over 18 to use books.  When she wanted to reference something for a paper I had to go down and xerox it for her.  And I think that by then you mostly didn't use the big room anymore.  Goodness knows what it's like now.  Security is probably a nightmare.

MaryPage

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »
That sounds quite a wonderful experience.

I want to get into the Vatican Library with the same results;  something I know is impossible, but I can dream.  I would like to spend months there, if not more.  Would like full access to see if there really was a female pope way back in the 11th century.  I have read so Much on both sides of this that my gut instincts simply cannot point one way or t'other.  There are many, many priceless manuscripts I would love to see and attempt (4 years of Latin!) to read, as well.  It is really beyond amazing the historical material stored away in this place.

Gumtree

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »
I just poked my head into this discussion - WOW

How in heaven's name can anyone answer those questions definitively - a few of them are easy enough but some will have me scratching my head -it's like opening a tin of worms...

Will do my best - though I'll have to have a little think about it all first.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »
Gum, you notice I haven't actually come out and listed my favorites.  I'm much too indecisive to make it easy.  But my favorite memory of someone reading to me is my father reading Mark Twain to us at bedtime.

Funny, that's what JoanK said too.  You'd think we had the same father.

Gumtree

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 02:08:38 PM »
  PatH     ;D    ;D    ;D
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

mabel1015j

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »
Continuing.......

16.   What is your favorite book blog? ........seniorlearn!!

17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)......does the "book" from The Nutcracker count?
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author?...get back to you on this one
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?.........reading Dr Seuss to my first grandchild. He loved it so.
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?.......i know that i was read to when very little, but i don't have the vision in my memory. I do know that someone read The Bobbsey Twins to me.

JudeS - South of abroad is on my TBR
Annie - i too liked Chesapeake, what an interesting book.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 03:08:27 PM »
PatH, I enjoyed your comments about the Library of Congress and their cracking down on high school kids.  When he was about 13 or 14 my son visited family members in DC, and naturally when he came home,  was full of what he had seen and done.  And the Library of Congress seemed to have made a big impression on him.  His final comment was .    .     .

"Yep, adults can go there anytime, but kids have to WORK if they want to go."

Adoannie, I'll have to agree with you about best non-fiction -- Devil in White City.  And the best of Larson's in my opinion.  Just about finished with his In the Garden of Beasts, and it doesn't come close to being as good.

Best TV interpretation of a book?  I haven't read the book, but I loved the PBS Bleak House, shown a few years back.  So much so that I bought the 15 episode set of DVDs.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »
Hehe that list is the bane of the day for most of us - I have decided to treat it like a snap shot - today at this time such and such - tomorrow much less an hour from now - but I have narrowed a few down and the others I realize fall along similar lines - but "A" favorite book - either novel, or children's or even cookbook much less a favorite author and I even have a couple of favorite non-fiction and then the memories of either reading or being read to - oh oh oh - and to choose a favorite - at least I have a movie of events running through my memory and that is nice - some even make me laugh.

I just know I could go nowhere without easy access to St. John of the Cross however, when I was in seventh or eighth grade I was blown away with Nathaniel Bowditch and later - i think in the 50s there was a children's version of his story that I had to give to each of my children and each of my grands.

And then some dismiss the Leather Stocking tales but I loved them - not just The Last of the Mohicans but, The Deerslayer, The Pioneers, The Prairie and then some of the adventure stories at sea, like The Sea-Wolf and Captain Courageous - and then the special book that my grandmother gave to me saying, this was a real German when she was upset with Hitler Count von Luckner the Sea Devil.

And so I am thinking that MaryPage your suggestion to read the trilogy is right down my alley - in line with books I have loved since I was about 12.

And then favorite times of reading - only recently 3 years ago I found a copy of the Christmas story I read each year to my children and a particular favorite of my Daughter - Under the tree it went to her delight The wonderful world of Aunt Tuddy my two grandboys with a sigh and 'we have to be polite after Christmas breakfast' when it was time to read a Christmas book I suggested we read the book - they all but rolled their eyes and before I was finished with the first page the chairs were pulled closer and then really close they came to observe the pictures while the story continued - we were going to finish it another time but no, a quick break, more coffee and on we went as the Major B. Dexter on his speeding new motorcycle flies across the Susquehanna bridge landing in the river. Even Gary, my son-in-law was glued to the story - it was a wonderful Christmas memory as good as the memories of my reading the story printed in a Women's Magazine back when the children sat on the sofa with me every evening for the 4 weeks of advent listening to Christmas stories.

Pat you and Joan - how wonderful to have shared memories that connect after all these years - your father was a special father wasn't he. I forget where it was that you grew up - but you have both shared before some of the special times with your father and it is a joy for us to read your posts.

Gum we need you - notice the picture is from close by in New Zealand - do they have Library bars in Australia? I wonder how they work - do you get to take the books out of the bar like a library or do you only get to read them while in the bar - and is the bar a real drinking bar or simply an anachronism for a place that offers a variety of books? We really want to hear of the books and authors that turn the memory pages for the whole 'down under' gang - even if it is not a definitive list - just a snapshot in time.