Archives & Readers' Guides > Talking Heads ~ Curious Minds ~ Op/Ed

Talking Heads: Twenty Questions

(1/42) > >>

marcie:
Talking Heads #15 - Twenty Questions
This discussion will be open from September 19 through September 30.

Library Bar in Auckland NZ

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

TWENTY QUESTIONS

Remember '20 Questions' on TV or better yet, remember when we were very young Teens and we set up a black marble composition book to list our classmates 20 favorites  - Let's have some Teenage fun and share our favorites.

Your memory is probably chucked full but please just share one choice for each question. - Think, carrying your own luggage aboard a flight to a mountaintop or ocean isle - What do you pack?

Please keep the conversation in a separate post from the post where you simply with a few words list your answers to our 20 questions. I wonder how many new books and places we will learn from each other.

Here are our Twenty Questions...!

1.   What is your favorite fiction book?
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book?
3.   Who is your favorite author?
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter?
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot?
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?
16.   What is your favorite book blog?
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author?
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?

BarbStAubrey:
Don't you just love taking time to day dream about your favorite stories - with so many it is often hard to choose a favorite - I bet like me one day my favorite is this and the next day that - like snapping a photograph, on Monday I will list my favorites - gives us the weekend to scour our memories and bookshelves.

NO we are not going to be asking Animal, Vegetable, Mineral to guess our favorites - just an old fashioned chin wag about what it is that makes a book, an author and places to read our favorite.

Please, pull your computer closer and type away so we too can smile with the memory of your selections and maybe, just maybe, there will be a few selections that are new to us - and then we will want to hear all about it.

pedln:
What a great Talking Heads idea, Barb, and I’ll jump in with No. 4, as it is the only one I don’t have to think twice about.

4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?

Without a doubt, Caddie Woodlawn by Carol Ryrie Brink, about a 19th century Wisconsin farm girl.  Make that “tomboy.”  Miss Lyons, our 4th grade teacher, read it aloud to the class, always stopping at a place that had us glued to our seats.  And every evening at dinner I regaled my family with all the exploits of Caddie and her brothers Tom and Warren.  And surely that farm must have been just down the road from my aunt and uncle up in Waupaca County.

Caddie was under the Christmas tree that year, and in the spring another aunt and uncle came to visit and, -- oh joy  how did they know -- brought me Magical Melons, her sequel.  Good, but not as good as the first one.

I don’t think I’ve ever revered or have had such good memories of a book as much as Caddie Woodlawn.  And I still occasionally repeat to myself Warren Woodlawn’s school program performance of “If at first  you don’t succeed, try, try again,” which came out as his siblings’ version of “If at first you don’t fricassee, fry, fry a hen.”

BarbStAubrey:
Well there is a new one for me - I am not familiar with Caddie Woodlawn - oh this will be fun - I wonder how many books will be favorites that will be new to us - What would be fun to hear about in a follow up post is when you were introduced and read Caddie Woodlawn - a bit about how old you were and if the book was a gift or was it borrowed from a library etc.

OK I need to do my list - I think I will simply copy and past the 20 questions and after each put my answer - it is the first question I am having the most difficult time choosing - Maybe that is it - the ones that I cannot decide I will simply write later and follow up later with my choice - OK here goes...

BarbStAubrey:
1.   What is your favorite fiction book?   --- Risen of the Moon - William Martin
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book? ---   Ascent of Mount Carmel - St. John of the Cross
3.   Who is your favorite author?  --- Jean Giono
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?   --- Wind in the Willows
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?  --- A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?  --- Gigi - Colette
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter?  --- Curled up in the corner of my sofa
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot?   --- At the Breakfast Rm Table next to the double window so I can watch the deer.
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?  --- Masterpiece Theatre Cranford - Elizabeth Gaskell
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?  --- Myths and legends before time and during the first A.D. 8 centuries.

11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?  --- Trinity College Library, in Dublin
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?   --- The house where Dag Hammarskjöld was born at Liljeholmen in Jönköping, Sweden.
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?  --- Simca's Cuisine - Simone Beck
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?  --- (in taters)  A World of Good Eating
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?   --- I hid a few from the Nuns, Peyton Place - what can I say...

16.   What is your favorite book blog?   --- Roses Over a Cottage Door  - http://rosesoveracottagedoor.blogspot.com/
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)   --- A Child's Christmas in Wales - Dylan Thomas
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author? "Men say they only learn this but he said that no creature can learn that which his heart has no shape to hold.— Cormac McCarthy
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?   --- When my daughter was about 7 in bed with Tonsillitis and we spent every minute of her waking day and evening reading an entire Honey Bunch Book.  
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?   --- Sister Rose Imilda in seventh grade read us the entire Longfellow's Evangeline - [/b]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version