Author Topic: Talking Heads: Twenty Questions  (Read 43159 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Talking Heads: Twenty Questions
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »
Talking Heads #15 - Twenty Questions

This discussion will be open from September 19 through September 30.

Library Bar in Auckland NZ

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

TWENTY QUESTIONS

Remember '20 Questions' on TV or better yet, remember when we were very young Teens and we set up a black marble composition book to list our classmates 20 favorites  - Let's have some Teenage fun and share our favorites.

Your memory is probably chucked full but please just share one choice for each question. - Think, carrying your own luggage aboard a flight to a mountaintop or ocean isle - What do you pack?

Please keep the conversation in a separate post from the post where you simply with a few words list your answers to our 20 questions. I wonder how many new books and places we will learn from each other.

Here are our Twenty Questions...!

1.   What is your favorite fiction book?
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book?
3.   Who is your favorite author?
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter?
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot?
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?
16.   What is your favorite book blog?
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author?
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »
Barb - yes, yes, let's do it again!  Maybe we should wait a month or so and then do a different list?  Ones I was thinking of were favourite fictional detective, favourite mystery writer, book about animal(s), coming-of-age novels, family sagas, biography, comedy, - oh i could go on...... :D

Thanks for organising this topic, it's been great fun and I enjoyed reading about other people's memories,

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
Barb, this has been a great discussion and I have enjoyed it immensely.  So much diverse information here and so much to talk about.  I loved the library link you just recently posted and sent it off right away to a friend.  One could spend hours looking at the site.

Has anyone been to or heard of a small public library that sits on an island between Vermont and Canada?  From what I understand, it's about the size of a house.  I don't know how I happened to hear of it -- it sounds intriguing.  Don't know who supports it.

Still can't get over the ticket for feeding the deer.  In a way it's too bad someone didn't pass out for just a minute or two, and then be fine.  That ridiculousness should be publicized.

I'd be delighted if U-verse was available here to be competition for Charter, which keeps raising it's prices.  I still haven't forgiven them for taking Hallmark Playhouse and the CSpan book reviews out of expanded basic.  Your math shocked me -- $800 annual just for the four or five channels I mainly watch -- the cable news and PBS.  Without cable (or satellite) I'd have decent reception on only two or three area channels, and the local programs have  the world's worst captions. I use Netflix for my movies and the few weekly shows I follow.

Steph

« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2011, 05:50:43 AM »
Cable is so common here, that in
Scotland, I was startled to see all of the rooftop antennas.Obviously a bit sparsely populated in the north of Scotland for cable of any type. But then when we got really really north, there were no electric wires as well.. Bus driver was startled when we asked and was matter of fact, that the isolated areas often have no power.. Whew.. Hard to believe, but I knew that Alaska in the deep bush is the same way.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
Steph you do not even have to go that far - places in New Mexico, Colorado and Utah that I know about and according to an AP report there must be other areas in the lower 48. Also, I hiked and stayed in areas of north west Mexico with no power and no roads either - or rather dirt roads. Folks still leave messages to each other by piling stones in a certain patterns on the sides of paths and roads like as kids we learned from Boy Scout manuals.
Area without power covers more than 5 million people across US Southwest, Mexico
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #205 on: September 30, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »
This is an email that I sent out this morning and thought I leave it here also since we are a group of friends and Ralph and I could use some prayers.
We are doing okay considering the big flood yesterday.  Ralph left a faucet running on Wednesday night to fill a half gallon pitcher.  The pitcher's pouring funnel was leaning against the sink top.  When we arose in the morning, there was water anywhere you can think of including in the kitchen floor and cupboards,  garage and downstairs rooms including the drywall, ceiling tiles and carpeting plus the storage area.  We had to get an electrician to replace the electric breaker box before they would even do the downstairs to the tune of $1750.  By the time water restoration people were done it was 10pm last night. The carpeting is up and the padding is gone.  What a mess!
The home health care nurse and he's  on his way so I will bid you adieu for now.  Keep us in your prayers.
luvya,
Ann
p.s. We are going to blow away with alll the fans and dehumidifiers that are running upstairs, downstairs and in the garage.  It will take 4 or 5 days for the drying.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »
{{{Ann}}} left you a message in another discussion

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2011, 12:11:30 AM »
It has been a great couple of weeks - enjoyed hearing so many heartfelt stories and so many wonderful memories - book really do tie us together - not sure what the next topic is and with Ann having a house to dry out I am sure she is glad there is time between these conversations - However, I am signing off - lots of busy days ahead of me and I need to get started - thanks to everyone I had a great time.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2011, 01:23:59 AM »
This discussion is now closed.