Author Topic: Talking Heads: Twenty Questions  (Read 43146 times)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
Re: Talking Heads: Twenty Questions
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »
Talking Heads #15 - Twenty Questions

This discussion will be open from September 19 through September 30.

Library Bar in Auckland NZ

"It occurred to me that nothing is more interesting than opinion when opinion is interesting..."
Herbert Bayard Swope, creator of the Op-Ed page.

TWENTY QUESTIONS

Remember '20 Questions' on TV or better yet, remember when we were very young Teens and we set up a black marble composition book to list our classmates 20 favorites  - Let's have some Teenage fun and share our favorites.

Your memory is probably chucked full but please just share one choice for each question. - Think, carrying your own luggage aboard a flight to a mountaintop or ocean isle - What do you pack?

Please keep the conversation in a separate post from the post where you simply with a few words list your answers to our 20 questions. I wonder how many new books and places we will learn from each other.

Here are our Twenty Questions...!

1.   What is your favorite fiction book?
2.   What is your favorite nonfiction book?
3.   Who is your favorite author?
4.   What is your favorite children’s’ book?
5.   What book have you intended to read but haven’t yet?
6.   What movie made from a book is your favorite?
7.   Where is your favorite place to read in winter?
8.   Where is your favorite summer reading spot?
9.   What made for TV interpretation of a book is your favorite?
10.   What is your favorite time in history to read about?
11.   What library any place in the world would you like to visit?
12.   What author’s house would you like to visit?
13.   What is your favorite cookbook?
14.   Over the years, what desert cookbook did you use the most?
15.   Did you ever read a book that you had to hide with a fake cover?
16.   What is your favorite book blog?
17.   What is your favorite holiday book? (any holiday)
18.   What is your favorite quote from an author?
19.   What is your favorite memory of reading to someone?
20.   What is your favorite memory of someone reading to you?

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2011, 01:57:21 PM »
"Eric Rolls is an almost revolutionary figure in Australian literature. He was always prepared to challenge ideas," said his widow, Elaine van Kempen, who joined him as a research assistant 22 years ago after the death of his first wife.

"He doesn't belong to me or the family; he belongs to Australia more than any other writer. Epic Rolls, I always called him."

Rolls was born in 1923 to a farming family at Grenfell, NSW, and after serving in World War II farmed for 40 years in the State's central-west.

A poet, historian, gastronome, environmentalist and romantic, he published more than 20 books, including a two-volume history of Chinese immigration,

"It was such an original voice and made such an impact. He was really a very significant Australian writer."

Rolls and van Kempen moved 13 years ago to North Haven, overlooking the Camden Head River on the northern NSW coast and helped found the Watermark Literary Muster, a biennial festival about writing on nature and place.

Eric Rolls, Australia's farmer-philosopher and author of the classic A Million Wild Acres, died at the age of 84 in 2007
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2011, 02:27:26 PM »
Barbara, there were 8 Anne of Green Gables books (written by L.M. (Lucy Maud) Montgomery.  Anne married Gilbert and had 5 children and they grew up and then the books ended.  Girl of The Limberlost was also a great favorite of mine, but it was not an Anne book;  it was by Gene Stratton Porter and was about butterflies and other bugs.

It is not hard to pick favorite books of fiction, but the non-fiction is excruciating.  I have loved, for instance, every book ever written by John McPhee, but of all of his great long list, I truly believe everyone in the world should read "Coming Into The Country," which is a book about traveling through Alaska.  Fantabulous!

I have also loved every book by Stephen Jay Gould and Lewis Thomas, who wrote separately, not together.  These books are for those who love learning about every little scrap of everything.  Wonderful writing.  Amazing facts.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »
Is "The Coldest Winter" the Laura Engels Wilder book? If so, it was in the running for favorite childrens book. It made a trememdous impression on me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2011, 03:27:30 PM »
AHHH, libraries. When I was young, I was fearless at going to libraries where I didn't belong. Once, I spent hours in the MIT library. Wondered why everyone who passed looked at me oddly. But no one said a word. I only remembered afterwards that MIT at the time was a men only university.

I tried the same thing later at Cambridge, in England. I was asked to leave pretty promptly.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »
Joan since Clubfan said that Halberstam was a favorite author I bet the book is The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »
MaryPage thanks for the rundown on Anne - I knew there were quite a number of books but did not know how they all fit. I do remember the the Girl of the Limberlost being on TV- don't remember for sure, but possibly PBS. Seems to me she grows up and becomes a school teacher and while young there was a young boy she either played with or they walked home from school together - and I think I am remembering she lived out away from town and there was no father.

Many of you not only read Anne but her story was a favorite - why I have no idea but I was not exposed to her till adulthood - her books were not in our library - but then I never read The Water Babies either till I was an adult.

The books that I did not like at all was Little Women and Little Men - Jo was the only one I could relate to and she was not a favored child - that did not set well with me. They were all too cautious for my taste. To me even Mary Poppins had more going for her and her charges.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2011, 04:30:01 PM »
John McPhee  is another author new to me - a link to his Coming Into Country He has quite a list of books published doesn't he.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2011, 04:52:11 PM »
HURRAY  :D  Let fly the balloons - Throw the confetti - strike up the band - let the chickens out - dance to the piper - I cannot believe it...

I found and went ahead a ordered a used copy that is supposed to be in excellent condition of TaTa dadah

"Golden Wattle Cookery Book"

A recommended Australian Cookbook by our own Gumtree...Ta Dah

The copy only cost with shipping $9.98

Now I feel as though I can make some connection to these folks who visit with us each day beside just allowing images of movies produced in Australia pass through my mind's eye...

Gum you will have to tell me which recipe to try first.

CubFan

« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2011, 05:52:29 PM »
Joan since Clubfan said that Halberstam was a favorite author I bet the book is The Coldest Winter: America and the Korean War

That is correct. The Korean War was a period in our history that I remember very little about and Halberstam has great credibility with the veterans. It was a long overdue read for me because I have a hard time reading about difficult situations when I know someone who was involved. So far I've only read one Vietnam War related book for the same reason. The one book I did read was a fiction book set there during the Vietnam War and was written by a friend who served there during the war and I felt I owed it to him to read it.

The Laura Ingalls Wilder book, also a favorite of mine, is The Longest Winter.

I read War and Peace as an adult and am glad I did it then because I think that there is a lot there to be missed when we read it before we have lived more of life. 

This book reading reminiscence has prompted me this week to go back and read some of my childhood favorites that I've collected over the years. So far I've read Mary Lizzie and Adopted Jane.  Plan to read Taffy's Foal tonight.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

MaryPage

« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
Barbara, you may well have read John McPhee, as I believe almost every single one of his books has appeared first in THE NEW YORKER magazine.

Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Avonlea
Anne of The Island
Anne of Windy Poplars
Anne’s House of Dreams
Anne of Ingleside
Rainbow Valley
Rilla of Ingleside

http://www.anneofgreengables.com/

nlhome

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2011, 08:37:16 PM »
Wow, what an exciting topic!
My favorite children's book:  Any one of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. The first one is set in Wisconsin, I believe. I read and reread them as a child.

The library I would like to visit:  I did get to see the Library of Congress. I always make it a point to visit libraries when I go to a new place.  I would love to see the New York Library, just because.

CubFan

« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »
Years ago - just as the TV series was starting and the Laura books becoming known to the public, I took my girls to some of the sites where the family had lived: Pepin WI, Walnut Grove MN, DeSmet SD, and Mansfield MO. We felt at times as though we were encountering the trials & tribulations of the Ingalls. In WI we had trouble getting to the cabin because of road repaving, Walnut Grove had just received record rains and Plum Creek was flooded, the foundation of the DeSmet house was being redone, and there were termite problems in the house in MO. But -- we did see a very nice pageant based on the books in DeSmet performed by local townspeople at the house stead site where the original cottonwood trees were still growing and I still have samples of hay twists like those used in The Long Winter. That's one vacation everyone remembers.

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »
Cubfan,
Looks like you did a circle of the Wilder family's homes.  Are you from Chicago by any chance?   :D :D

I have been in the Bodlien Library and the Ashmolean Museum but it was awhile ago so I don't remember much about Bodlien but the Ashmolean has quite a collection of the old masters plus many of the Impressionists works.

Mabel,
Those 20 beautiful libraries are just that!  Some of them should have that giant mirror table that in the Hampton??? Palace so visitors could really get a better view without getting a crick in one's neck.
I found Jay Walker's library/museum inviting.  Well, I will most likely won't be invited to see it.
After looking at all 20 pictures, there are some comments recorded and one a link of a gigapixel photo of the Strahov Theological Library .  You can puruse the whole place enlarging the art in the ceiling and other places.  Amazing!
http://www.360cities.net/image/strahov-theological-library-prague#105.77,32.99,60.1   
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Gumtree

« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2011, 05:33:28 AM »
I found and went ahead a ordered a used copy that is supposed to be in excellent condition of TaTa dadah

"Golden Wattle Cookery Book"

Barbara You are too impulsive by far. That book is a very basic cooking book - as I said, I learned how to cook by using it. There are no colour plates of irresistible concoctions - no photographs at all in mine - just recipes and fundamental 'how-to' for plain ordinary fare.

It was published locally right here in my home town (Perth in West Aust) by the staff of what would now be a tertiary institution teaching Home Economics or whatever they call it these days. The first edition came out in 1925 and new editions appeared almost annually until at least the 1950s (mine is 1948 edition) - I haven't actually looked at it or used it for years ... and years ... but I still make my fruit pies, slices, baked custards, Xmas cakes and many other dishes using the recipes (now in my head and perhaps adapted somewhat) that I learned more than half a century ago from either Golden Wattle or the CWA book.

The prices you quoted for the Eric Rolls book are not real - Booktopia has A Million Wild Acres for  around $35 - it's in paperback and is a fairly recent edition. Not sure what it would cost at my local bookshop but it would be in the region of $30.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2011, 06:12:34 AM »
Girl of the Limberlost. I loved that book. Did not know until I owned the used book store, that she wrote a sequel to it..
a favorite quote.. Winston Churchills.. History of Great Britains
"They flayed the archer".. in reference to King Richard The Lionhearted
death.Just seemed so sad.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
Oh Gum do not pop my balloon - ah so - I hear you however, I will be delighted to have a cookbook that is filled with recipes that y'all would know about and use - the fact that it is local to me makes it even more precious because just as my one kitchen drawer is filled with slim paper recipe booklets of less than 30 page each from areas of this country and places abroad where I have lived or visited featuring local fare using the local foods grown in abundance I will have yet another part of the world represented in my drawer.

Where else would I turn to the best recipe for Woodford pudding except my paper cookbook from Woodford County Kentucky or my recipe for fasnacht from the Lancaster County Pennsylvania cookbook. And so we shall see - now the other author looks like he has written some striking books covering an interesting view of Australia - fascinating to me is the two books about the Chinese Australian connection - where as the other books appear to dwell on issues of nature and the natural environment.

Steph - I agree with you, that is a sad phrase - poignant, which gets to the heart of the death of the Lionhearted Richard.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
Sounds like you are having a bit of nostalgia each night Mary as you re-read your collection of children's books - aren't you amazed how they actually hold our interest - they are not like watching some children's program on TV that is fun to activate the memory but not that satisfying where as reading most children's literature seems to be a new experience each time.

The trip you took with  your girls sounds grand even if there were not all the challenges - what a great idea to take youngsters on a tour of the places included in a story they have read - what an adventure - there are various cities that have tours to the places mentioned in a book - I guess I am thinking of London where there is a tour of the Sherlock Holmes locations and in Ireland where Joyce's Ulysses is a tour and then the one in Paris - Things Remembered - Proust. There are probably others but to make up our own tour - now that is creative thinking...

Between Laura Ingalls and MaryPage listing in order all the Anne of Green Gables books and now Steph bringing in her bit about the Girl of the Limberlost - sounds like three important series of books that young girls still turn to and probably the handling of life in the story adds to their identity. All three have a bit of spunk and yet show values of love and caring - those authors did all of us with girls to raise a favor.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2011, 11:22:55 AM »
Besides, Barb, then you can tell me what a "slice" is the next time Gum refers to it.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »
 ;)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2011, 11:34:56 AM »
Jean/Mabel -- thanks for that wonderful link to the fantastic libraries.  Now wouldn't that be a grand tour -- visiting them all.  It's a very inspiring and hopeful thought to know that books, and their access,  have been important throughout the ages, wold-wide.  I doubt I'll get to the older, glorious sites, but have been to Seattle's cool house by Koolhaus, and Baltimore's Peabody certainly is doable.  The additional pictures/contributions were also interesting, and I was delighted to see a picture of our country's oldest lending library -- the Redwood Library of Newport, RI, founded in 1747.  When I was a member in 1957 the annual dues were $12 per year.

Hats, it's great to see you here, and your nomination of Roots is right on.  I'd love to see that again and you prompted me to check both Netflix and Amazon. Roots is available both sites.  Gosh, when that was broadcast I think it was showing in every house in the country that had a TV.

Gumtree

« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2011, 02:07:03 PM »
PatH re slices - you're kidding me.

now the other author looks like he has written some striking books covering an interesting view of Australia - fascinating to me is the two books about the Chinese Australian connection - where as the other books appear to dwell on issues of nature and the natural environment
Barbara I haven't read Rolls' books about the Chinese migration to Australia but they're somewhere here in the depths of TBRs. They were both very well received and have been translated into Chinese.

Though his others do appear on the surface to focus on environment issues they are in fact history - he first burst onto the scene with his And They All Ran Wild which on the face of it is about the problems rabbits caused to the country once they were released - but once again it's the subtext to the history.

About the only 'regional' recipe I can think of in GWC is for Kangaroo tail soup - you might have some difficulty sourcing the main ingredient :D
I can't think whether it even contains the recipe for the old bush tucker bread substitute called 'damper'

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2011, 02:43:56 PM »
You're an imp  :D :D ;) :D :-* "Kangaroo tail soup - you might have some difficulty sourcing the main ingredient " OH and 'damper' I have to look forward to - not even a bread a substitute bread - oh my... ::)

Gumtree

« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2011, 04:23:15 AM »
 :D

Steph

« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2011, 06:10:42 AM »
Damper... oh me, you have to share that recipe. A substitute for Bread. I assume no flour might have been the problem. But do let us know.
I am glad someone else looked at my quote the way I did. Richard was an interesting man. Probably would not have been a good King for the time, but who knows.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Gumtree

« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2011, 11:25:38 AM »
Damper - why did I open my big mouth and where is Roshanarose when she's needed?

Steph  - Damper was essential tucker for men in the outback in the early days - the swaggies, explorers, stockmen, prospectors - They would make camp and then set about cooking their meagre rations.  They generally had the flour - but no raising agent and most wouldn't have had any kind of camp oven either so they cooked their damper in the coals of the fire.

Here's a bit from Wiki: The article states they used baking soda and 'sometimes milk' but in the early days most would not have had either of those on hand. These days trendy bakeries offer a soda bread that they call 'damper' but it sure isn't cooked in the ashes of a fire in the outback.

Damper is a traditional Australian soda bread prepared by swagmen, drovers, stockmen and other travelers. It consists of a wheat flour based bread, traditionally baked in the coals of a campfire. Damper is an iconic Australian dish. It is also made in camping situations in New Zealand, and has been for many decades.

Damper was originally developed by stockmen who travelled in remote areas for weeks or months at a time, with only basic rations of flour, sugar and tea, supplemented by whatever meat was available.[1] The basic ingredients of damper were flour, water, salt and sometimes milk. Baking soda could be used for leavening. The damper was normally cooked in the ashes of the camp fire. The ashes were flattened and the damper was placed in there for ten minutes to cook. Following this, the damper was covered with ashes and cooked for another 20 to 30 minutes until the damper sounded hollow when tapped. Alternatively, the damper was cooked in a greased camp oven.[2] Damper was eaten with dried or cooked meat or golden syrup, also known as "cocky's joy".

Steph: Odd you mention Churchill's book which I think must have been published here as 'The History of the English Speaking Countries' or another one of his - 'This Island Race' - I was tossing up whether to put one or the other of those as my favourite non fiction - loved them both - apart from the history he imparts the guy knew just how to construct a sentence. They're wonderful reading.

One Churchillian quote I love is in relation to King Arthur:  It is all true or ought to be, and more and better besides.  I can quote most of that particular long paragraph from memory.

JimNT

« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »
There are few books that I've read more than once;  Uncle Tom's Cabin, Main Street, Grapes of Wrath, To Kill a Mockingbird, to name but a few.  However, Gone With the Wind is my all time favorite.  The book is so well crafted, the characters so real and their relationships, so complicated and thought provoking.  Ms. Mitchell was a truly ourstanding talent.  Despite the tragedies, disappointments and lost loves, this book never fails to make me feel good.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »
Well Gum you sure gave us all the skinny on Damper - sounds like so many breads from various cultures that were baked when life was more primitive - I found a recipe online that made the essentially unleavened bread in ramekins with slices of tomato on top and another sprinkled with cheese - should be fun to try and it sounds like as long as it cooks through all is well - if not cooked fully the ingredients say to me that it would be a ball of dough lodged in the pit of your tummy.

Steph looks like it does have flour - just nothing to make the flour do anything remarkable like rise.  ;)

Cookbooks are a genre that provides so much other information with the right book - some go into the history of the area from where the recipes originate and others into the culture of the people and still others into the growing of the foods and still others into the planning of the meal that often includes explaining the event or holiday the author is accommodating. I love to read the cookbooks that are more than a tome of recipes  - even Ol' Martha Stewart's cookbooks are a great read.

Just realized, I think cookbooks are like my romance novel - nothing of consequence and often filled with ahum 'sage' advise - Just picked up Susan Colon's Cherries in Winter - about her family and their recipes during hard times.

Jim, yes, Gone With the Wind is so much more than a Southern Civil War Novel isn't it - now there was , an author with one book in her but my word, what a book... remember, "With enough courage, you can do without a reputation." and how many times have I said - "It ain't fittin'... it ain't fittin'. It jes' ain't fittin'... It ain't fittin'."

Now Grapes of Wrath was a drama that had me glued to the pages - so many good quotes for today economy- "We can't depend on it. The bank – the monster – has to have profits all the time. It can't wait. It'll die. No, taxes go on. When the monster stops growing, it dies. It can't stay one size."

And the other one I remember reading at the same time was Erskine Caldwell's God's Little Acre - Mr. Ty Ty, you oughta' be out raisin' cotton. You're a good farmer - that is, you USED to be. Why, Mr. Ty Ty, you can raise more cotton on this land in one season than you can find gold in a whole lifetime. It's a waste of everything, Mr. Ty Ty, diggin' them holes all over the place.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
Damper reminds me of Matsoh, the bread the Jews took with them on the Exodus when they didn't have time for the bread to rise. I'll bet a lot of cultures have the equivelant.

I wonder what out Western cowboys did.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »
Well if our Girl Scout experience was anything close to reality there were two kinds of bread according to how close to the border you were cowboying - the one was basically flour and water with some salt - squished and kneaded then wrapped around a stick so that after it was cooked there was a hole in the middle that was filled up with what ever was handy even if only beans - and the other of course is Tortilla using stones to slap the corn flour dough and then cooked over the fire on the lid of a dutch oven again filled with whatever was being cooked for the meal.

Later there were many a corn bread made in the dutch oven and served with just as there were biscuits up north that would even be used to top a fruit like sauce as in a cobbler.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2011, 03:21:49 PM »
Great! Thanks.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2011, 05:37:26 PM »
Corn bread?  Cooked on the lid of a Dutch oven???  Only in Texas!  I love the idea though.  Sounds delicious! :D  I though the one's you cooked on a stick over the fire were delicious with jelly poured into the hole.  Never thought of using beans.  I think I must bid you adieu and get something on the fire for supper.  Ciao!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2011, 07:17:20 PM »
I wonder what out Western cowboys did.
Let's not forget the term "sourdough", which I think is used more for prospecters than cowboys, but refers to their habit of carrying a blob of sourdough starter with them, which they could then use as leavening for the bread they made.  I bet it sometimes got pretty powerful after hanging from a saddle for days.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2011, 07:46:18 PM »
I'd better be good and actually answer some of the questions.

3. Favorite author: Jane Austen

1. Favorite fiction book: tie between Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion, maybe slight edge for P & P.

5. What book have you intended to read but haven't yet?  I thought of posting a picture of my 15 cubic feet TBR pile, but decided it was too sordid.

13. What is your favorite cookbook?  I'm a cookbook nut, read them for pleasure even if I don't mean to cook from them, and have more than a bookcase full.  But I'm most grateful to Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", which taught me how to cook all those wonderful dishes I had just discovered from living abroad for a year.

15. I never had to hide anything I read.  My parents were very liberal, never tried to control my reading, and by the time I was reading anything they could have objected to, I was a grown up, and could do what I wanted.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »
Answer to a question not asked--what is your favorite comic author?

Terry Pratchett, head and shoulders above the rest.  His books are fantasy, not to everyone's taste, but great if you like that kind of thing.  His sense of timing is superb, like all good comedians, so he can re-use the same jokes and still have you laughing at them.

roshanarose

« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2011, 12:09:56 AM »
Gumtree - I never knew you cared.  ;) You are doing just fine without me.  Cooking is not my forte at all.  I must admit that I love damper and a good cuppa of Billy tea.  Do they still make Billy Tea, I wonder.  Remember - a cuppa tea; a Bex and a good lie down?  My mother followed these instructions as long as I can remember, but she used to take the other powder, was it called Vincent's?  I should remember because I was sent to the corner store every day to buy just one.  I wonder to this day why she didn't buy a packet?  It hadn't occurred to me until now, reading about Vincent's, that they were probably addictive.

Here's a link :  I remember buying them for her long before the dates mentioned here.

www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=341257
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

JudeS

« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2011, 01:56:18 AM »
Pedlin
If you liked Bleak House try the PBS version of "Little Dorrit".
I think it is an outstanding interpretation of a book.
However I still love the movie of "Great Expectations"even more . Somehow the great story teller,Dickens, lends himself to movies and TV like no other.

As a young child I loved Dr. Dolittle. When I grew older (about ten) I gravitated to Nancy Drew and tried to collect each one as it appeared. Still love mystery novels.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2011, 02:27:19 AM »
Pat another who like to read cookbooks - what are some of your favorites other than dear Julia and her friends - like you my copies of book one and two were spotted and stained but I too learned many basics from trying out her well explained recipes.

I must say though after I got into her dishes there was a way of cooking that was so familiar - my mother kept a German kitchen with nothing wasted - I'm thinking much of the basics is the same for all European kitchens - where as I see many differences in both a Mexican kitchen and an Asian Kitchen.

I do not have the skill or kitchen for most Asian dishes but I can do a few just as I can do a few Mexican dishes however, some of the Moles are complicated. It is so much fun and I love serving my family where I can put it all together and surprise them with a new taste.

Pat where did you live outside the US?

And your Terry Pratchett - looked him up on Amazon - what a great gaggle of giggly titles and book themes - looks like you have introduced a fun author to this conversation - even the reviews are hilarious -

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2011, 02:31:46 AM »
roshanarose you just gotta - pllleeaaassseee - won't you do a list of your favorites for us - I am imagining what great Greek story will be on the list and what marvelous library and what in the world book have you not yet read that has been on your list to read and the who and when of both being read to as well as, reading to someone - oh please, give us a list - your interests are an eye opener to many of us.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2011, 02:52:47 AM »
 Jude you have just reminded me - somewhere in this house, there is an old copy of Dr. Doolittle - seems to me it was published back in the 1930s and vaguely I'm remembering the movie either changed some of the story or cut it shorter or something.

I always liked Push me Pull me - even when I was a kid I got it and saw it as the perfect metaphor for my sister who one minute would agree and the next, oh no we mustn't and so she often sat and pouted - I had no sympathy - she had no courage I decided and would look at her out of the corner of my eye actually looking down my nose at her. Since, of course I found myself often in that push me pull me reaction and then wondered why I felt so worn out - you would think I was going to cause the world to tip with the inward negotiations to get an acceptable détente in my head.

Ah "Little Dorret" the English sure know how to film a period book don't they - did you have a favorite actor or actress in I am assuming the PBS version? Bleak House did seem more bleak in comparison didn't it and yet the family situation in Little Dorret seemed more horrific living and growing up in essentially jail. Interesting to see some of the actors in Little Dorret go on to other roles - I wonder if they were there all the time and just not noticed until they acted in a blockbuster like Little Dorret or Bleak House. Although the father in Little Dorret - wasn't he years ago in Dr. Zhivago? Lara's legal young husband who went on to be an important general with his own private train?