Author Topic: In Memory of Gumtree  (Read 11298 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
In Memory of Gumtree
« on: October 23, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »

In Loving Memory of our Australian "Gumtree"
So far away and yet always  so near...
So it has been and so will it ever be, dear Gum.

Gumtree

(Joyce Levitzke)

Long time SeniorLearner and dear friend to many.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: In Memory of Gumtree
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »
Such surprising sad news this morning - the loss of our dear friend from Perth.  Such a far-away place, and yet we all came to think of Gum as a close neighbor, a friend .  It was somehow reassuring to learn that she passed away suddenly on October 7; her last post here was on October 6.  Don't  we all wish for such a peaceful passing?

This will be especially difficult for her family.  They might appreciate hearing just how much their loved one meant to so many of  us, here on SeniorLearn.  

waafer

• waafer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 08:50:54 PM »
I was so sorry to read of the passing of Gumtree and to her family send my condolences.  We lived at far away points on this continent but although I had emailed her at times I did not know her surname and was disturbed not to see a post from her somewhere as she posted in several sites.  She departed in the way we would all like .  I know she did many good works in Western Australia.  Junee

roshanarose

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:59:26 PM »
I have encountered many great and learned people, but none such as our dear Gum.  In "author, author" all knew that Gum would have the answer up her sleeve, but would not always reveal it, wanting to see who got it first, just to be fair.  A patient teacher, always humble, and a good friend.

I shall miss you my fellow Australian.  I always looked forward to reading your posts and appreciated your Australian sense of humour.  You were the only one who could calm me with just a word.  My tears are for our and your family's loss.  

Wherever you go we are with you in spirit.

Always
roshanarose

For our mate, Gumtree

Egrets  

Once as I travelled through a quiet evening,
I saw a pool, jet-black and mirror-still.
Beyond, the slender paperbarks stood crowding;
each on its own white image looked its fill,
and nothing moved but thirty egrets wading -
thirty egrets in a quiet evening.

Once in a lifetime, lovely past believing,
your lucky eyes may light on such a pool.
As though for many years I had been waiting,
I watched in silence, till my heart was full
of clear dark water, and white trees unmoving,
and, whiter yet, those thirty egrets wading.

Judith Wright

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

kiwilady

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 03:57:24 AM »
Very shocked to read of the passing of Gumtree.

Rest In Peace Gumtree.

Carolyn

Babi

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 09:00:59 AM »
 I am so sorry to hear about Gumtree.   She was so much fun and had so
much to offer. It was a pleasure to know her, even from across the world. She will be greatly missed. My condolences to all those who loved her best.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:03:17 AM »

What terrible news to hear of Gumtree's death!  It must've been quite sudden.  We will certainly miss her insightful comments - to say nothing of her humor and good outlook on life.  We all send our deepest sympathy to all who loved her.

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

palmtree

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 12:52:08 PM »
I want to express my condolences, too. I hope I can be as alive and active and interested and interesting as Gumtree was, as I continue on in life. She was a true inspiration.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
I can't believe I won't hear from Gumtree again. I've been rereading her posts, so funny ("I almost swallowed my tonsils when I realized ..." , kind ("Are you getting better..."), encouraging ("That's GREAT ..."), Thoughtful ("And yes, Babi we do have so much less time remaining - and the awareness of that grows daily. No time to fritter away but still time 'to stand and stare' now and again").

And her love of Australia and it's history brought it alive for all of us. The prisoner poems she posted in Poetry. The Australian authors she introduced us too, the food, the customs, the places, it all came alive.

Whatever I was into, it seemed she shared it with me. I was working a jigsaw puzzle "100 kangaroos and a boomerang". She looked it up online, and couldn't find the boomerang either. Another time, I remember watching on TV the Red bull Air Show from Perth. I went on the computer, and told her I was in her hometown. She said she could hear it. There we were, halfway across the world listening to the same crazy sport together. It really brought home to me he miracle of this internet, forming friendships across the miles and continents.

And the Eucalyptus trees! She introduced me to the novel "Eucalyptus", which I loved. And she showed us some of her wonderful paintings of them. I hadn't known a Eucalyptus from Euclid, but now I know that there are also a lot of Eucalyptus trees here in Southern California; and whenever I see one, I will think of her.

Octavia

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:12 AM »
I just came in and heard the awful news about Gumtree. I feel so numb, no more funny, witty, clever posts from Gum. This is unthinkable.
There's nothing I can add to that lovely post from Roshanarose, Australia is the poorer for her passing.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. Sir Terry Pratchett.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
Gumtree’s passing saddens us all.  She contributed so much to all of us here, a vibrant person who most definitely left her mark.  We will miss her.  My sincere sympathies for her family and friends, and for Australia, who has lost a wonderful and dedicated ambassador.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »
So sorry to hear of Gumtree's passing.  I always enjoyed her posts and will miss seeing Gumtree in the discussions.  What a nice person.

nlhome

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
I am sorry to hear of Gumtree's death. We get "attached" to the people in these discussions. She will be missed.

Maryemm

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 11:55:40 AM »

So saddened to learn of Gumtree's sudden death. A cheerful, thoughtful friend as well as a clever, witty one, she will be missed by everyone fortunate enough to have known her in person, or through the medium of the Internet.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
It’s hard to believe you’re gone, Gumtree.  We didn’t even know your name, but you were our friend, our buddy, our companion in literary adventures, fellow music appreciator.  You knew so much, and taught us so much, always with wit and intelligence and a wry sense of humor.

It’s painful to lose you; we were lucky to have known you for as long as we did.  We’ll keep on thinking of you wherever you are now.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »
Just wanted to leave my condolences to Gum's family and friends. I know her loss will be deeply felt by her family and her friends.  She always had something charming and funny to say and I truly didn't know what a talented lady she was until I read her member site.  May we all be so blessed!  Ciao, dear friend!  We all have loved knowing you online!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

hats

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 06:10:22 AM »
So sorry to hear about the death of GumTree. I will always remember her as such a friendly person. When I didn't feel well or felt lonely, her greeting would always make my day. She is unforgettable. I send my thoughts to her family and friends. When I log in here, I will always remember and miss her friendship.

JudeS

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 06:50:04 PM »
How sad to hear of Gumtree's death.  She brought Australia to Senior Learn and made us aware of "down under" with all its differences and sameness. She will be sorely missed.

To her family:

I walked a mile with Sorrow and ne'er  a word said she:
But,oh, the things I learned from her
When Sorrow walked with me.

Robert Browning

countrymm

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »
I remember learning the word "antipodes" from Gum.  Have used and enjoyed the word many times since then.

Countrymm

Frybabe

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »
I still miss Gumtree. I think of her every time I log into SeniorLearn and S&F's Classical Music Corner. It's like losing a best friend.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 01:31:50 PM »
Thank you all so much for your moving and thoughtful memories or tributes to Joyce (Gumtree). We've sent  these and 27 others collected on the website  by mail to her family and I hope they will indicate in a small way the tremendous  regard we had for  Gum and how much she meant to all of us.

I miss her too, Frybabe, I miss her wisdom and her support. I've never encountered anybody more well read, it was breathtaking, but she was always kind with the rest of us.  Even tho we are half a world away and we never met face to face she was a dear friend and  it's been quite a loss, to all of us.

It shows you how one bright light can illuminate the lives of others, forever, really. We'll never forget her.

bellamarie

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »
I called her my "Night Fairy" because she would be on at the same time as me so many nights I was up posting in the wee hours of the night here in the U.S., and she a country afar.  I just loved her posts.  Sadly missing her.  Now she is the book Night Fairy, in yet another far off land.  Peace & Love, my sweet book-end.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden